What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Ameer Abdullah - The Bandwagon (2 Viewers)

Zenner is clearly the contingency if Joique can't make it back to form. Abdullah was never going to be the feature back this year and he probably shouldn't be in his rookie year unless he comes out bulldozing the league and forces the role.

Ameer Abdullah hyper rocket was way pre-mature with the launch, He didn't have mac truck holes to run through tonight.
Hard to glean much from three carries.

I still think he will come out of the gates hot when the real games start. IIRC Calvin and Ebron were not on the field tonight. Toss those two into the mix and there should be a lot of room for Ameer to run/catch out of the backfield. Anything can happen, but my hunch is that we'll see right off the bat in week one that the team has a plan to use him heavily on offense.

As for the RBBC stuff, I think in FF you always anchor to the most talented guy in any situation because the cream always rises. Last year Jeremy Hill and CJ Anderson were thought to be in bad spots, yet both guys excelled because they were the best backs on their respective teams. Same thing happened to a lesser extent with Tre Mason. I look at Bell/Riddick/Zenner and find it unlikely that they'll block Ameer this year or in the future.

He's easily the most talented back on the roster. This might start as an RBBC early in the year...but he'll come out of the gate as as useable PPR asset and will become more than that as the year goes along. Hopefully some of the negativity in this thread spews it's way over to my league mates and lowers his price in my real draft tomorrow

The hype on this guy has gone too far. Like the talent but terrible situation. Fighting Joique, Riddick, and Zenner for carries and is pretty much guaranteed to not get goal line touches.

The hype on this guy has gone too far. Like the talent but terrible situation. Fighting Joique, Riddick, and Zenner for carries and is pretty much guaranteed to not get goal line touches.
I don't think hes fighting any of those guys for carries.
Hate to say it but 3 carries with 1 catch isn't exactly workhorse numbers.

Given the last 2-3 years it's pretty obvious Detroit is going for the Thunder/Lighting backfield.

Fool me once CJ Spiller, shame on you. Fool me twice Gio Bernard, shame on me. Fool me three times Abdullah, shame on ???

Hate to say it but 3 carries with 1 catch isn't exactly workhorse numbers.Given the last 2-3 years it's pretty obvious Detroit is going for the Thunder/Lighting backfield.

Fool me once CJ Spiller, shame on you. Fool me twice Gio Bernard, shame on me. Fool me three times Abdullah, shame on ???
Yep. He probably should have got 35 carries. :rolleyes:

Uhh, what? Of course he is.
No, he's not competing for carries. I'm sure the Lions already have a good game plan for what Abdullah's weekly workload will look like. So barring fumbling issues or ineffectiveness, he has a cemented role.

I see a situation where Zenner could beat out Bell for carries though, if these lower leg injuries have taken some of his ability away.

Hate to say it but 3 carries with 1 catch isn't exactly workhorse numbers.

Given the last 2-3 years it's pretty obvious Detroit is going for the Thunder/Lighting backfield.

Fool you twice with Gio???? He put up nearly identical numbers in 2014 to his rookie year AND he missed 3 games. And in the 3 games he missed Hill put up 2 150 yard games. Even at end of season when Hill was killing it Gio still posted decent games. And I think it's hillarious that people use preseason to knock abdullah down. He had 2 carries game 2, 3 carries game 3 but also manged a 21 yd rec and would have had another 20+ if stafford was a good QB. The fact is, if he had gotten 20 carries I would have dropped him in rankings, 3 carries mean he's valuable.

I've been following this thread and it's insane. Half the guys here are pissed they passed on him in their rookie drafts and can't admit they were wrong. Fact is in early rookie drafts you could get him 1.8-1.11 which is why I have him in 75% of my existing dynasty leagues and 100% of my 2015 start-ups. Before draft I had him 1B to gurley at 1A. I consider Barry the best RB in the history of the game and I don't think Ameer is Barry cause college ain't the Nfl, but Ameer makes me want to tune in. Someone said earlier that the long run wasn't the most imprssive and it wasn't (despite the sick cut that made a starting NFL defender fall down which doesn't happen often, if ever, hence the reason we all loved watching Barry every thanksgiving and watching him do #### that was utterly insane......EVERY YEAR on the WORST TEAM EVER). I'm not saying Ameer is Barry, But no RB has ever excited me the way Barry did, and this kid makes me wanna see if a RB can make me feel like that. Cause while Barry didn't have record breaking stats, I bet most guys my age (36) can't even name the starting QB or any WR on DET besides homers (mainly because only the originals were playing fantasy back then and there was no NFL package. Outside of MI, only DET game ever nationally televised was Thanksgiving game.)

Now I'm not saying Ameer is Barry, but he 's the only RB since Barry that has made vet NFL defenders look stupid. For those that think Zenner looked better you're a part of the reason why fantasy football is considered a skill game and not gambling

• Smile
Reactions: LBH
Hate to say it but 3 carries with 1 catch isn't exactly workhorse numbers.Given the last 2-3 years it's pretty obvious Detroit is going for the Thunder/Lighting backfield.

Fool you twice with Gio???? He put up nearly identical numbers in 2014 to his rookie year AND he missed 3 games. And in the 3 games he missed Hill put up 2 150 yard games. Even at end of season when Hill was killing it Gio still posted decent games. And I think it's hillarious that people use preseason to knock abdullah down. He had 2 carries game 2, 3 carries game 3 but also manged a 21 yd rec and would have had another 20+ if stafford was a good QB. The fact is, if he had gotten 20 carries I would have dropped him in rankings, 3 carries mean he's valuable.

I've been following this thread and it's insane. Half the guys here are pissed they passed on him in their rookie drafts and can't admit they were wrong. Fact is in early rookie drafts you could get him 1.8-1.11 which is why I have him in 75% of my existing dynasty leagues and 100% of my 2015 start-ups. Before draft I had him 1B to gurley at 1A. I consider Barry the best RB in the history of the game and I don't think Ameer is Barry cause college ain't the Nfl, but Ameer makes me want to tune in. Someone said earlier that the long run wasn't the most imprssive and it wasn't (despite the sick cut that made a starting NFL defender fall down which doesn't happen often, if ever, hence the reason we all loved watching Barry every thanksgiving and watching him do #### that was utterly insane......EVERY YEAR on the WORST TEAM EVER). I'm not saying Ameer is Barry, But no RB has ever excited me the way Barry did, and this kid makes me wanna see if a RB can make me feel like that. Cause while Barry didn't have record breaking stats, I bet most guys my age (36) can't even name the starting QB or any WR on DET besides homers (mainly because only the originals were playing fantasy back then and there was no NFL package. Outside of MI, only DET game ever nationally televised was Thanksgiving game.)

Now I'm not saying Ameer is Barry, but he 's the only RB since Barry that has made vet NFL defenders look stupid. For those that think Zenner looked better you're a part of the reason why fantasy football is considered a skill game and not gambling
So basically, Ameer makes you want to be a better man. Um, I mean better fan. Cool.

No, he's not competing for carries. I'm sure the Lions already have a good game plan for what Abdullah's weekly workload will look like. So barring fumbling issues or ineffectiveness, he has a cemented role.I see a situation where Zenner could beat out Bell for carries though, if these lower leg injuries have taken some of his ability away.
:confused:

He has a role, but how large that role will be is yet to be determined, hence the competition.

There's about a half dozen things here that are just flat out wrong.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm disembarking the train for now. I'll be back in 2016 or earlier if there are significant injuries to others.

No, he's not competing for carries. I'm sure the Lions already have a good game plan for what Abdullah's weekly workload will look like. So barring fumbling issues or ineffectiveness, he has a cemented role.I see a situation where Zenner could beat out Bell for carries though, if these lower leg injuries have taken some of his ability away.
:confused: He has a role, but how large that role will be is yet to be determined, hence the competition.
Exactly. This is the NFL and this is camp. What do bayou think they are doing out there? They are competing at various levels. Especially the rookies. I don't doubt Ameer has a role. I don't doubt it's even a good one. Acting as though everything is sured up and there isn't a competition going on is just blatantly false, though.

These posts are hilarious. Bell, Riddick and Zenner are undrafted free agents or very late picks and none has shown any real talent in the NFL. Abdullah has the least competition of pretty much any back in the league. I'm not buying into him as a 3 down back, but the guys he's playing with make it possible.

These posts are hilarious. Bell, Riddick and Zenner are undrafted free agents or very late picks and none has shown any real talent in the NFL. Abdullah has the least competition of pretty much any back in the league. I'm not buying into him as a 3 down back, but the guys he's playing with make it possible.
Bell has no talent? Being undrafted is still relevant at this point in his career?I guess actual discussion is out the window here IMO

WTF are you talking about? Bell has proven plenty capable to run the ball in the NFL. His draft status is long gone guy.

This is just a silly statement. Zenner is obviously an unknown still, but Bell has shown over the last 3 years that he is a very capable back in the NFL. Bell is good in all facets of the game, and /ifwhen healthy, will certainly demand some work. Riddick has also shown he can be very valuable in his limited role as a receiving back, as he is very explosive once in the open field.

It's okay to be a believer in Abdullah, but do not think that his competition for touches is terrible. Bell and Riddick are legit NFL talents... not great by any stretch, but worthy of touches, and very good at what they do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually Abdullah is the guy that hasn't shown anything in the NFL Bell is the one with 2300 yards and 16 TDs over the last 2 years years in the NFL.

I own Abdullah but got him late so I'm not super invested. That said, Bell as a guy coming off Achilles surgery doesn't concern me for anything other than goal line carries (which admittedly could be a big bite)

Love the overreaction from both sides on this guy throughout the offseason. Out of all the rookies, I'm most intrigued by how this one plays out.

Bell has no talent? Being undrafted is still relevant at this point in his career?I guess actual discussion is out the window here IMO
Look at the name of the person you're quoting.

:confused: He has a role, but how large that role will be is yet to be determined, hence the competition.
I believe, as I already stated, the Lion have already decided how large his role will be, probably something similar to Reggie Bush the past couple years. Therefore, my view is that the the real competition is for the other RB roles. I obviously don't know this for a fact but I think it's logical based on the committee style these coaches have used in the past and the types of backs. Still confused?

Yea, I mean every player in the NFL technically has "competition" for his role. The Lions have a bunch of WRs besides Calvin. The Chiefs have a bunch of backs besides Charles. Yet we don't think of those situations as "competition" because it's understood that the starter is so much better than his competition that there's no threat to his status.

I would not say that Ameer deserves to be compared to Calvin or Charles at this point, but the general idea is similar. If a guy is much better than the other players on his team at his position, they pose no threat to his production. I don't see Riddick or Zenner taking significant touches away from Abdullah. Bell has proven to be serviceable, but I don't think he's much more than that. So IMO you're looking at a split with Abdullah + 1 where Ameer gets a big chunk of the carries and most of the receptions while possibly losing some goal line work.

It all seems eerily similar to Gio's rookie year when he was a fringe RB1 in PPR leagues splitting carries with the ghost of Benjarvus Green-Ellis. That is roughly my expectation for Ameer in year one. Anything more than that will be a pleasant surprise, but I certainly don't expect him to be outshined by the likes of Zenner and Riddick. Someone else will get some carries and someone else may vulture some goal line looks, but IMO he's easily the guy you want here.

Ameer is still the safest of these RBs, but it will be a Thunder/lightning type role. Ameer is a lock for the Lightning portion. If Bell is healthy, he is the thunder. It is quite possible that Zenner could pass Riddick. None of these backs will be a bellcow RB1 type, but two can be good RB2/RB3.

Is Zenner another preseason star who will fade away when the regular season starts? Or is he legit enough to earn the Bell roll?

Still haven't heard any news about Bell practicing at ALL. There's no way at this point he returns in time to take even 50% of the workload for week 1 (well, I would be shocked). I'd put the over/under for Bell yards in Week 1 at about 35 right now.

• Smile
Reactions: Jed
I believe, as I already stated, the Lion have already decided how large his role will be, probably something similar to Reggie Bush the past couple years. Therefore, my view is that the the real competition is for the other RB roles. I obviously don't know this for a fact but I think it's logical based on the committee style these coaches have used in the past and the types of backs. Still confused?
Reggie Bush had two very different roles in his two years in Detroit. Sorry, but it seems pretty silly to think that the size of his role is already locked in, and using Bush as a comparison pretty much proves that. He has a wide range of projected touches IMO, and it will all come down to performance (i.e. it's a competition).

Always hard to tell the trolls from the ####### (mentally challenged) in the shark pool.

Reggie Bush had two very different roles in his two years in Detroit. Sorry, but it seems pretty silly to think that the size of his role is already locked in, and using Bush as a comparison pretty much proves that. He has a wide range of projected touches IMO, and it will all come down to performance (i.e. it's a competition).
I'm not sure what you mean about Reggie Bush's "very different" roles. He got hurt last year and was somewhat ineffective after that if I remember right, so that changed I suppose. It's not silly to assume an NFL team has a pretty good idea what they want to do with their second-round draft pick just over a week before the season. I assume you're hoping he becomes a 20-carry guy. That's not impossible but the odds are on the Lions using a some form of committee based on this coaching staff's short and long-term history. Considering Joique's inability to get on a practice field since having surgery in January, I think Zenner looks like a guy that could get a lot of use out of to complement Abdullah.

If he gets used similar to how Bush was, he could be a 1,000 yard rusher and have some big RB1 scoring weeks. I'm not sure what you're looking to prove by calling this a competition. It seems like a team with a need for a back like Abdullah. I'll concede the exact amount of touches he averages is not known, but I think they've got a pretty good idea of what it is. My gut tells me they know what they've got and don't see the point in running him out there for 20 carries in a preseason game but I could be wrong.

• Smile
Reactions: LBH
I think it's hard to discount Zenner's production with the carries he's had. That guy looks like the one to own in fantasy leagues. Ameer will do well in the bush role but Zenner could be a stud and an absolute steal at fantasy drafts.

I think the hype & the doom & gloom go too far both ways. As I've said before, I have serious concerns about Abdullah being a FF stud. He's got very real warts that could easily keep him from being a stud, but I've said all along he could be a nice RB2 in PPR. I guess I'm somewhere in the middle on him. Abdullah will have to show me a LOT more to call him a stud, but he's pretty safe.

Abdullah may get a big break if Bell isn't ready to go, though. Hard to know what they really think of Zenner, but he's not a chump. It just doesn't seem like the Lions are willing to give Abdullah the feature back role & there are very good reasons for that. It'll be interesting to see what happens week 1.

This backfield looks like it's Zenner and Abdullah for the next 4 years. Think of Gio/Hill in Hill's rookie year. They both pass the eye test with flying colors to me and I kind of doubt Joique gets any significant playing time this year, assuming 1 or both of them can pass block with a slightest hint of effectiveness. Bell was slow and plodding last year, I can only image how horrible he's going to look this year with his injury and another year older. I'm taking my dart throw's with Zenner everywhere I can because he looks legit.

This backfield looks like it's Zenner and Abdullah for the next 4 years. Think of Gio/Hill in Hill's rookie year. They both pass the eye test with flying colors to me and I kind of doubt Joique gets any significant playing time this year, assuming 1 or both of them can pass block with a slightest hint of effectiveness. Bell was slow and plodding last year, I can only image how horrible he's going to look this year with his injury and another year older. I'm taking my dart throw's with Zenner everywhere I can because he looks legit.
I see it more as Reggie Bush / Joique Bell a couple years ago, where Bush got more touches overall and was the primary RB, but Bell was the short yardage guy and got about 8-10 carries a game.

I'm not sure what you mean about Reggie Bush's "very different" roles. He got hurt last year and was somewhat ineffective after that if I remember right, so that changed I suppose. It's not silly to assume an NFL team has a pretty good idea what they want to do with their second-round draft pick just over a week before the season. I assume you're hoping he becomes a 20-carry guy. That's not impossible but the odds are on the Lions using a some form of committee based on this coaching staff's short and long-term history. Considering Joique's inability to get on a practice field since having surgery in January, I think Zenner looks like a guy that could get a lot of use out of to complement Abdullah.

If he gets used similar to how Bush was, he could be a 1,000 yard rusher and have some big RB1 scoring weeks. I'm not sure what you're looking to prove by calling this a competition. It seems like a team with a need for a back like Abdullah. I'll concede the exact amount of touches he averages is not known, but I think they've got a pretty good idea of what it is. My gut tells me they know what they've got and don't see the point in running him out there for 20 carries in a preseason game but I could be wrong.
Bush went from being the primary RB averaging almost 16 carries per game to playing second fiddle with less than 7 carries per game. That's a pretty major role change if you ask me.

Yes, if he gets used like Bush was, he could be a 1,000 yard rusher, like Bush was in 2013 when he was the lead back. Or, he could be a 300 yard rusher, like Bush was last year when he wasn't.

I'm not sure what you're looking to prove by saying this isn't a competition- do you really think the RB touch distribution has been decided and won't change during the year based on performance?

Bush went from being the primary RB averaging almost 16 carries per game to playing second fiddle with less than 7 carries per game. That's a pretty major role change if you ask me.

Yes, if he gets used like Bush was, he could be a 1,000 yard rusher, like Bush was in 2013 when he was the lead back. Or, he could be a 300 yard rusher, like Bush was last year when he wasn't.

I'm not sure what you're looking to prove by saying this isn't a competition- do you really think the RB touch distribution has been decided and won't change during the year based on performance?
To be fair, Bush was never 100% last year which may have impacted how he was used.

To be fair, Bush was never 100% last year which may have impacted how he was used.
Sure it may have, although he wasn't really healthy in 2013 either. In any event, he said "probably something similar to Reggie Bush the past couple years", I was just pointing out that there is a big difference between those two years.

Sure it may have, although he wasn't really healthy in 2013 either. In any event, he said "probably something similar to Reggie Bush the past couple years", I was just pointing out that there is a big difference between those two years.
Bush had different injuries in 2013, but he recovered from them at different points. I don't think there was more than 1 or 2 games last year where Bush wasn't working with a bum ankle. He just was not same the Bush last year and was ineffective when he got the ball IMO. However, I do agree the staff preferred Bell either way and the offense worked differently than it had under Linehan.

It may have? bush led the team in RB touches and yards for 4 out of 5 games to start the year. Then health was a factor ROS:http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2014/11/13/detroit-lions-reggie-bush-ankle/18973373/

I never said distribution could never change - not sure why you would think that - only said that Lions have a pretty good idea how they're going to use him at the present time and I'll stick with my assertion that it's similar to how they would have used a healthy Bush last year.

Are you completely discounting Riddick? I think the ZZ2K hype is off the train.

Users who are viewing this thread