What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Ameer Abdullah - The Bandwagon (1 Viewer)

TartanLion said:
Jeez I'm in an all time high 3 leagues this year and that's more than enough to completely scramble my brain.
its time consuming as well ...who could manage 22 teams??? yikes...my hats off to the person that can

22 leagues? Wow.
i know right ????
Oh c'mon. You guys aren't in 20+ leagues?
I have only played in one league for the past 20 years (or so). I have considered joining others but I don't like the idea that you will end up rooting for one player in one league and against that same player in another league. It seems that when you are in 22 leagues you would have a vested interest in a significant portion of all NFL skill players. Maybe it dilutes things so much that you don't have a rooting interest in any player so you just get to watch games and not worry about it but you get that same value by being in zero leagues.

But, hey, whatever works for you is cool by me. Just not my cup of tea.
There are a small group of players I target so I end up with very similar teams across the board. For instance, like stated above, I probably have AA in half of them at least and that goes with a lot of players on my teams.

Also, 12 of my 22 leagues are draft only leagues, also known as best ball. So I'm only managing 10 leagues. Then there's FanDuel which is a completely different animal. I probably spend more time analyzing players for FanDuel than anything else. My wife most definitely hates football season.

22 leagues? Wow.
i know right ????
I have only played in one league for the past 20 years (or so). I have considered joining others but I don't like the idea that you will end up rooting for one player in one league and against that same player in another league. It seems that when you are in 22 leagues you would have a vested interest in a significant portion of all NFL skill players. Maybe it dilutes things so much that you don't have a rooting interest in any player so you just get to watch games and not worry about it but you get that same value by being in zero leagues.

There are a small group of players I target so I end up with very similar teams across the board. For instance, like stated above, I probably have AA in half of them at least and that goes with a lot of players on my teams.

Also, 12 of my 22 leagues are draft only leagues, also known as best ball. So I'm only managing 10 leagues. Then there's FanDuel which is a completely different animal. I probably spend more time analyzing players for FanDuel than anything else. My wife most definitely hates football season.
oh im sure she does lol

22 leagues? Wow.
i know right ????

Wife? Didn't see that coming...

I keep hearing that Abdulla is for sure going to be the returner but Caldwell doesn't sound so sure. It could just be coach speak but hasn't named a returner yet.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2015/09/07/lions-return-man/71856030/

I doubt Tate is the returner, accept in special situations like when they used him in the playoffs, but I have heard TJ Jones might be the returner as well.
I'm just going to point out it's pretty rare for a RB to be the full time returner and be the lead back.

Anyone concerned with him listed as third string on the depth chart?

Start week one with confidence anyway?
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2560002-insider-buzz-abdullah-expected-to-have-more-significant-role-than-bell-riddick

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2015/09/joique_bell_still_the_lions_no.html

A couple of takes on the situation. The thing that stands out most to me is that Bell has 12 days to be ready for the season opener after missing all of training camp. Coming off the surgeries he had, I find it very difficult to believe that he will be getting a ton of carries in week 1. The insider buzz report seems pretty realistic at least for week 1 given the circumstances.

It would make sense that Bell would be atop the depth chart as the Lions consider him the #1, but doesn't necessary mean that he will get the bulk of the carries right away

Guess it depends on your options. I have him in the Flex over Spiller (coming off injury, tough matchup.) Crowell is on the end of bench. Or I could throw in Reuben Randle.

With confidence, I said!

To answer your question, it might be meaningless. For instance, I would not expect Theo to out touch him. Lightning to Bell's thunder. His catches might equal his carries, and he's a dynamic player. I do not expect consistency from Ameer in that type of role. They'll be a lot of week to week variance. In these first two road games, being a rookie still trying to find his role, I expect one good and one poor game each.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2560002-insider-buzz-abdullah-expected-to-have-more-significant-role-than-bell-riddick

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2015/09/joique_bell_still_the_lions_no.html

A couple of takes on the situation. The thing that stands out most to me is that Bell has 12 days to be ready for the season opener after missing all of training camp. Coming off the surgeries he had, I find it very difficult to believe that he will be getting a ton of carries in week 1. The insider buzz report seems pretty realistic at least for week 1 given the circumstances.

It would make sense that Bell would be atop the depth chart as the Lions consider him the #1, but doesn't necessary mean that he will get the bulk of the carries right away
Yeah, I have to agree, factoring in Bell being eased in and 16-18 touches seems pretty fair. I personally feel pretty comfortable rolling AA out as a RB2 in PPR this week.

Yeah, I have to agree, factoring in Bell being eased in and 16-18 touches seems pretty fair. I personally feel pretty comfortable rolling AA out as a RB2 in PPR this week.
Wait...you think Ameer will get 18 touches? Really?

Bell had 223 carries and 34 catches last year in 15 games - 17.13 per game. There's every indication he's ready to go and his role hasn't changed, so I'm expecting a floor of 15 touches, but if things are going Detroit's way - they're 0-4 in San Diego, so big IF - Joique will be wearing them down in the 4th, and 20-24 touches seems likely.

Bush, Collins (FB), Riddick and Winn totaled 202 touches on the year - 12.63 per game. I figure most (if not all) weeks Ameer will have to get his on 10-12 touches per game, maybe 12-15 as the year progresses.

When Sproles was a PPR monster for the Saints (and Lombardi surely intends to use Abudullah in a similar role), he had seasons with 16-173, 13-123, and 13-124 (G/Touches.) He was top 12 two of those years on a PPG basis.

That's my expectation for Ameer. Low volume, high production. I'd be thrilled if he got 10-12 touches this week.

It's not how many touches. It's how many points.

If he can produce RB2 numbers on 12-15 touches....who cares. But I think he will be the lead dog over the long haul.

Too much talent.

Bell had 223 carries and 34 catches last year in 15 games - 17.13 per game. There's every indication he's ready to go and his role hasn't changed, so I'm expecting a floor of 15 touches, but if things are going Detroit's way - they're 0-4 in San Diego, so big IF - Joique will be wearing them down in the 4th, and 20-24 touches seems likely.

Bush, Collins (FB), Riddick and Winn totaled 202 touches on the year - 12.63 per game. I figure most (if not all) weeks Ameer will have to get his on 10-12 touches per game, maybe 12-15 as the year progresses.

When Sproles was a PPR monster for the Saints (and Lombardi surely intends to use Abudullah in a similar role), he had seasons with 16-173, 13-123, and 13-124 (G/Touches.) He was top 12 two of those years on a PPG basis.

That's my expectation for Ameer. Low volume, high production. I'd be thrilled if he got 10-12 touches this week.
I've echoed your exact sentiments multiple times in this thread as it pertains to the season, I 100% agree. My post was in response to the insider buzz video DeaLerZ linked and it only pertains to week 1. I do not expect Bell to touch the ball 22-24 times week 1, or at least I'd be very surprised. I mean he missed all of training camp, I have a hard time believing he'll be able to get into game shape in 12 days.

I've echoed your exact sentiments multiple times in this thread as it pertains to the season, I 100% agree. My post was in response to the insider buzz video DeaLerZ linked and it only pertains to week 1. I do not expect Bell to touch the ball 22-24 times week 1, or at least I'd be very surprised. I mean he missed all of training camp, I have a hard time believing he'll be able to get into game shape in 12 days.
How many does it take to get into game shape?

I mean, it's not like he's been sitting on the couch eating Cheetos. He says he's fitter & healthier now than he has been at any point in the last 3 years. The day they took him off PUP he went straight to taking 1 reps.

I'm expecting Joique to be Joique, but maybe they'll east him back. I don't see it but I could be wrong. Coaches haven't called me for advice all year.

I mean, it's not like he's been sitting on the couch eating Cheetos. He says he's fitter & healthier now than he has been at any point in the last 3 years. The day they took him off PUP he went straight to taking 1 reps.

I'm expecting Joique to be Joique, but maybe they'll east him back. I don't see it but I could be wrong. Coaches haven't called me for advice all year.
Well, Bell is no doubt going to say "I'm feeling great." or "I'm ahead of schedule." when asked about his progression. He also noted that when he took first team reps in practice it was still on a limited basis.

I'm sure he's rehabbed properly or he wouldn't be at this stage but I think you're underestimating just how important training camp/preseason is when it comes to whipping players into game shape. It may be an arbitrary assumption but I feel like 12 days isn't quite enough.

SameSongNDance said:
BobbyLayne said:
SameSongNDance said:
BobbyLayne said:
SameSongNDance said:
DeaLerZ said:
NajehHejan said:

Well, Bell is no doubt going to say "I'm feeling great." or "I'm ahead of schedule." when asked about his progression. He also noted that when he took first team reps in practice it was still on a limited basis.

I'm sure he's rehabbed properly or he wouldn't be at this stage but I think you're underestimating just how important training camp/preseason is when it comes to whipping players into game shape. It may be an arbitrary assumption but I feel like 12 days isn't quite enough.
yea definitely not talking about the long run.. although Abdullah appears to be the more talented back and could take over the job this season. Just talking about this week and potential output for Abdullah due to Bell being eased back in.

BobbyLayne said:
SameSongNDance said:
BobbyLayne said:
SameSongNDance said:
DeaLerZ said:
NajehHejan said:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

you guys

he's coming off knee AND achilles surgery

he's also old

he was also bottom third of the league in success rate the last three seasons.

ameer's going to be a star

and he's going to produce well for fantasy on 15 touches a week

This years Bishop Sankey?

Lord I hope not! Just drafted him and named my team Fear Ameer.

I'm looking like an idiot here if he busts because I never change my team name once I pick it.

NajehHejan said:

Honestly, no. If he's really third string, why would they keep him in bubble wrap for most of the preseason? That's starter treatment.

IMO they know what they have.

Smoke 'em if you got 'em.

Last edited by a moderator:
NajehHejan said:

Honestly, no. If he's really third string, why would they keep him in bubble wrap for most of the preseason? That's starter treatment.

This is what I believe as well. To be successful at this hobby requires, more than anything, an ability to read the tea leaves, imo. There are certain situations that are just 'obvious' to me and this is one of them. I'm starting AA as my RB2 with confidence. I just refuse to accept Bell starting and being effective week 1 when he's coming off achilles and knee injuries. He's also 29 years old and mediocre at best. That's A LOT to overcome if you ask me. Meanwhile, AA was a star RB in college with ELITE metrics in everything but the 40. He busted a 40 some yarder on his 2nd NFL run, albeit in the preseason and seems like the Lions have sheltered him since that run. I mean, if you're an NFL team and you know what you got and you're trying to get an edge, of course you're going to hide your hand. That's like strategy 101.

I'm in, snagged him at a good price... my eyes don't deceive me, he looked great in these games and seemed very featured to me, I don't see how he doesnt get 15 touches...

NajehHejan said:

This is what I believe as well. To be successful at this hobby requires, more than anything, an ability to read the tea leaves, imo. There are certain situations that are just 'obvious' to me and this is one of them. I'm starting AA as my RB2 with confidence. I just refuse to accept Bell starting and being effective week 1 when he's coming off achilles and knee injuries. He's also 29 years old and mediocre at best. That's A LOT to overcome if you ask me. Meanwhile, AA was a star RB in college with ELITE metrics in everything but the 40. He busted a 40 some yarder on his 2nd NFL run, albeit in the preseason and seems like the Lions have sheltered him since that run. I mean, if you're an NFL team and you know what you got and you're trying to get an edge, of course you're going to hide your hand. That's like strategy 101.
I agree Im starting him with confidence, homer here live near detroit, this is an easy one and I agree about reading the leaves, this is one you can see a mile away. 15 touches he will play Jahvid best role. Bell will be short yardage and when Abdullah needs breather or to pound ball out 2 min warning type stuff. I have Forte/Abdullah in a start 2rb ppr and I was told my wrs were awesome but rbs are not that great. I almost fell out of my chair because I actually think that will be a GREAT combo and is perfect for PPR esp going 3 wrs in 4 rounds.. I would be ecstatic if you told me you got great wrs and could piece AMEER as your rb2. He will be top 10 in ppr book it, and will win ROY

Well Im on the wagon. Snagged him at 67th overall last night (non-PPR). Forget about week 1 with Joique, I dont think he'll see more than 10 touches for a few weeks.

He looks like a top 20 RB option this week.

Well Im on the wagon. Snagged him at 67th overall last night (non-PPR). Forget about week 1 with Joique, I dont think he'll see more than 10 touches for a few weeks.

He looks like a top 20 RB option this week.
Same.

Took him at 6.08 (68th), starting him in the Flex Week 1 with Spiller out (and Crowell facing a tough matchup.)

Not expecting volume, but he'll likely score plenty most weeks even without a ton of touches.

I haven't read the whole thread so excuse me if a honda.... Who was the better prospect Best or Abdullah? Same relative size/weight ratios. Best obviously had the edge in the speed department. Abdullah seems to have the edge in vision/instincts. I loved Best's potential but Abdullah's lack of long speed has me hesitant that he's a future star.

If you want Abdullah, what round are you targeting taking him to make siurr you get him - in a 10 team league?
Right now AA is third on the depth chart behind Bell and Riddick. Plus they want to use Zenner some as well. Sounds like the Lions will be a full blown RBBC team this season.

Own him in both of my leagues. Took him at 5.1 in a 12 team redraft .5 ppr last night. Took him in the first round of my 10 team keep 5 league a couple of weeks ago, but he holds more value there because one of our keepers has to be a rookie.

Don't have huge expectations but i think he'll be good. I'd sign for rb3/flex production right now.

I haven't read the whole thread so excuse me if a honda.... Who was the better prospect Best or Abdullah? Same relative size/weight ratios. Best obviously had the edge in the speed department. Abdullah seems to have the edge in vision/instincts. I loved Best's potential but Abdullah's lack of long speed has me hesitant that he's a future star.
Well Best was a late 1st round pick, AA was a mid-late 2nd round pick so there's that.

@kmeinke: Lombardi on Abdullah: He's going to get a chance to run the ball, and he's going to get a chance to be used extensively in the passing game.

@kmeinke: Head's up fantasy peeps: Abdullah probably is going to play a lot.

Kyle Meinke is the Lions beat writer for MLive.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5986/joique-bell

DetroitLions.com's Tim Twentyman expects Joique Bell to lead the team rushing yards this season.
Twentyman thinks both Bell and Ameer Abdullah could go over 1,000 total yards like Bell and Reggie Bush did in 2013, but he expects Bell to lead the tandem. Bell is listed as the starting running back on the Lions' depth chart and should get the most work early in the season, but he will cede carries to Abdullah if he struggles out of the gate like he did in 2014. Sep 10 - 11:29 AM

@kmeinke: Joe Lombardi said Zach Zenner is "a heck of a special teams player." If true, that'll help his case to be active on Sunday

I'm trying super hard to just generally temper my expectations but there's no other player I'm more excited to watch play this weekend.
Easily... Can't wait to see what this guy can do.

Lions OC Joe Lombardi said rookie RB Ameer Abdullah will be utilized "extensively" in the passing game.
Lombardi also said Abdullah will get a chance to run the ball and has the traits of a three-down back. After hearing Lombardi speak about Abdullah, MLive's Kyle Meinke tweeted, "Head's up fantasy peeps: Abdullah probably is going to play a lot." Joique Bell will open the season as the starter, but it appears to be only a matter of time until Abdullah becomes the lead back in Detroit.Sep 10 - 11:55 AM
Detroitlions.com's Tim Twentyman said rookie RB Ameer Abdullah has surprised the Lions with his receiving ability.
In Twentyman's opinion, Abdullah is "certainly a better receiver already than Reggie Bush was." Bush struggled with injuries last season, but he posted a 54-506-3 receiving line and finished as the eighth-best per-game PPR back just two years ago. Despite all the hype, Abdullah would easily return his ADP value if he saw a similar workload this season. He is an RB3/FLEX play for Week 1
Have a feeling that he is going to be a PPR monster given these recent reports.

More hype..

ESPN Lions reporter Michael Rothstein expects rookie RB Ameer Abdullah to have a heavy workload in Week 1.
Lions OC Joe Lombardi has also said he plans to use Abdullah in an extensive role. Joique Bell will start against San Diego, but it wouldn't be surprising if Abdullah out-touches him. Abdullah is a high-upside RB3.
Here's a link to Rothstein's article.

More hype..

ESPN Lions reporter Michael Rothstein expects rookie RB Ameer Abdullah to have a heavy workload in Week 1.

Lions OC Joe Lombardi has also said he plans to use Abdullah in an extensive role. Joique Bell will start against San Diego, but it wouldn't be surprising if Abdullah out-touches him. Abdullah is a high-upside RB3.
Here's a link to Rothstein's article.
I'll believe it when I see it. I don't trust them using him on both KO and punt returns if they have big plans. Unless, that is part of the "big plans." It's pretty unusual for a RB to be involved heavily in the offense if they are the sole return guy.

Edelman was listed as the #1 KR/PR on NE's depth chart heading into last night. Guess how many returns he had?

I'm amazed by how many quality posters on this board take these depth charts at face value.

Users who are viewing this thread