What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Ameer Abdullah - The Bandwagon (3 Viewers)

I have Bell and Abdullah on my team. Bell does look terrible, and Abdullah doesn't look much better running out of the backfield. They need to give up on the run and try to get Abdullah the ball in pace on short passes and have that be their running game. The traditional stuff isn't working.

Lions ran a sweep to the right for 9 yards tonight. I swear that's the only time all year I've seen them run outside the tackles.

O-line is inept. Those clear outs to free up Riddick underneath - why not run those for AA? Kid is electric in space.

Riddick posses the biggest threat to AA's outlook this year, not Bell. Bell will play himself out of touches at some point but Riddick at times looks like the only playmaker on this offense when they're in the hurry up. I'm assuming most of us are in PPR and Riddick is the dude standing in the way of AA having a very reasonable floor and a two point floor this year.

I really wish Riddick had a tenuous grasp on his role like Bell does but he's legit. I'm afraid the only way we'll be able to lean on AA this year is if Riddick goes down.

I don't think Riddick does anything that AA can't, but he is catching the ball well. Him getting targets is the surprise variable that has hurt Ameer's PPR production. I thought he'd be a lock for 4-5 catches every week and he may yet do it, but a lot of those opportunities are going to Riddick. I still don't think Riddick is "legit" or that he offers the same RAC skills despite a couple nice gains tonight. He's like a thrift store Abdullah.

I don't think Riddick does anything that AA can't, but he is catching the ball well. Him getting targets is the surprise variable that has hurt Ameer's PPR production. I thought he'd be a lock for 4-5 catches every week and he may yet do it, but a lot of those opportunities are going to Riddick. I still don't think Riddick is "legit" or that he offers the same RAC skills despite a couple nice gains tonight. He's like a thrift store Abdullah.
We can disagree on Riddick's talent level but I think we'd both agree that he probably isn't going anywhere any time soon.

We can disagree on Riddick's talent level but I think we'd both agree that he probably isn't going anywhere any time soon.
Remains to be seen. Abdullah's touch count has been pretty steady the last few weeks and that's a bad sign for redraft, but if you think one guy is the most talented in his backfield then you also might believe that eventually his coaches will figure it out and act accordingly. I mentioned CJ Anderson and Tre Mason from last season as examples. I'm not banking on that for AA, but these things can flip at any given time. In particular, it looks like every touch the team gives Joique Bell is a waste. I think most people agree on that.

Dynasty-wise, I don't know how much longer Caldwell will be around. New regimes bring new philosophies. Sometimes that helps the holdovers and sometimes it hurts them. Ameer is still a hold/buy for me in dynasty because I think he is showing reasonable promise when given touches. DLF has him at RB14 and that seems about right to me. I feel like he can go higher, but there's a chance of him getting the Gio Bernard or Tre Mason treatment if Detroit decides he's a long-term committee guy.

How does the coaching staff not see what the rest of us see - that AA is a threat every time he touches the ball while Joique Bell runs into the line and falls down every time he touches the ball

I understand I'm biased as an owner, but it could not be any clearer last night.

How does the coaching staff not see what the rest of us see - that AA is a threat every time he touches the ball while Joique Bell runs into the line and falls down every time he touches the ball

I understand I'm biased as an owner, but it could not be any clearer last night.
Yea it makes no sense at all. Joique Bell looks like like a fat cow running the ball. Ameer Abdullah looks electric in space, and finds holes that aren't there in the running game. He is the far superior back on this team.

I also couldn't stand the dumb comments the announcers made about Riddick that Jim Caldwell told them. "He is a guy to watch"... blah blah blah. He does not look anywhere to as close as good as Abdullah does with the ball in his hands.

Yes i am obviously a biased owner, but this is pretty ridiculous, makes me so annoyed that I can't even watch the lions games. It's like your neighbor pulls his shiny Ferrari out of the garage, and says "oh this is my ferrari, I don't use it, i just like to keep it clean. You are not allowed to touch this ferrari, and you definitely aren't driving it to the championship. I would rather burn down with my house than use this ferrari ever!!"

I swear someone in the coaching staff or front office there is refusing to move on from their mistake of signing Bell, and I am not sure what the fascination with Riddick is. I get it he has the experience, trust him more or whatever. I just don't understand how they aren't smart enough to even put Abdullah on the field in catch up mode. The defense definitely has to respect him and what he can do, plus it gives the lions another great pass catching back. Hope they go 0-16!

Rant. Done.

Riddick posses the biggest threat to AA's outlook this year, not Bell. Bell will play himself out of touches at some point but Riddick at times looks like the only playmaker on this offense when they're in the hurry up. I'm assuming most of us are in PPR and Riddick is the dude standing in the way of AA having a very reasonable floor and a two point floor this year.

I really wish Riddick had a tenuous grasp on his role like Bell does but he's legit. I'm afraid the only way we'll be able to lean on AA this year is if Riddick goes down.
Pretty clear at this point the Joiquester is nothing to worry about for us AA owners, but Riddick is severely siphoning from AA's weekly production and I dont see that changing anytime soon without him getting injured. AA right now is nothing more than a bye week flex filler, sadly.

Pretty clear at this point the Joiquester is nothing to worry about for us AA owners, but Riddick is severely siphoning from AA's weekly production and I dont see that changing anytime soon without him getting injured. AA right now is nothing more than a bye week flex filler, sadly.
I don't disagree with you. That said, Abdullah was in the game a fair amount on passing downs early in the game last night. I found that promising.

I don't disagree with you. That said, Abdullah was in the game a fair amount on passing downs early in the game last night. I found that promising.
AA was not in the two minute drill offense though and that really says it all. Riddick looked good catching the ball and for some reason the coaches favor him over AA in that situation which the Lions will probably be in almost every game this year. He also plays bigger than AA which is probably another factor. Right now, Riddick is killing AA's value in PPR leagues.

I'm seeing what most others are. Theo is the immediate threat to AA, but AA is the better overall RB, imo. I think they are gradually working the rookie in, just like many smart teams do. I'm not accusing the Lions of being smart because they don't have the luxury to bring him slowly. They need Ws and AA can help with that. I think us AA owners will be ecstatic with his end of season results. Shoot, he's had 2 startable games of 3, not a bad start and that's with limited usage. I'm very encouraged but I think we need to be patient. He WILL pay off in the end. He already is paying off.

I think he'll see his usage rise over the course of the season if he can avoid fumbles. He had one in that game brought back, but it still hurt him in the eyes of the coaches. Riddick is doing nothing to hurt himself. AA is definately more talented but hasn't earned the trust, and TBH, probably shouldn't have yet.

Bench/bye week player for now. Buy in dynasty. Probably droppable in smaller/short bench leagues.

Sorry to say it but it's looking like AA will be a small bust this year.

AA isn't supplanting Riddick anytime soon for the passing down role. Riddick was a pretty good passing down back last year and is also one of the best this year.

AA won't get goal line carries.

Lastly, everyone's assuming AA will steal Joique's early down work but that doesn't take into account

1) The incompetence of the coaching staff(to give an example of a different incompetent coaching staff, see Lamar Miller/Daniel Thomas and Lamar's present usage)

2) Zenner is still on the roster and imo is also more talented than Joique but would provide the thunder component the Lions' coaching staff is looking for

So to recap, AA's upside is the early down back without goal line carries, similar to how Melvin Gordon is being used currently, and the chances of him hitting that upside is considerably less than 100%.

Sorry to say it but it's looking like AA will be a small bust this year.

AA isn't supplanting Riddick anytime soon for the passing down role. Riddick was a pretty good passing down back last year and is also one of the best this year.

AA won't get goal line carries.

Lastly, everyone's assuming AA will steal Joique's early down work but that doesn't take into account

1) The incompetence of the coaching staff(to give an example of a different incompetent coaching staff, see Lamar Miller/Daniel Thomas and Lamar's present usage)

2) Zenner is still on the roster and imo is also more talented than Joique but would provide the thunder component the Lions' coaching staff is looking for

So to recap, AA's upside is the early down back without goal line carries, similar to how Melvin Gordon is being used currently, and the chances of him hitting that upside is considerably less than 100%.
Regarding the bolded, I disagree. In limited action, he ranks as a RB2 in two of my ppr leagues. I still think his workload will increase over time and I also think he'll get goaline carries. Guy is shifty and study to my eyes. Gotta imagine his lack of usage is simply because he's still learning. This guy is gonna be a stud.

Yea, but he is not going to score a 15+ yard TD every week. I like the guy and I think they're underutilizing him, but from a short-term FF standpoint he's not going to be a reliable starter until his touch count rises. On 8-12 touches per week, he basically has to pull a rabbit out of his hat every game to get 10+ FF points. That's not always going to happen. Hopefully they turn him loose and give him 15-20 touches per game.

Awful coaching. All we can hope is they quickly fear losing their jobs and move to the Abdullah/Riddick show, and leave Bell for short yardage/GL work. How long can you slam an ineffectual Bell into the line at 1.1 YPC? My concern is that the answer for Caldwell is "all season". Golden Tate said the other team defenses have been calling their plays. Change it up!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still a firm believer that he'll finish the year as a top 24 RB in PPR, if not higher the sooner Det hands him 15+ touches a game.

Its this belief that's caused me to not know whether I should be regretting or rejoicing over having just traded him for Jordan Matthews in a 12 team PPR.

thinking we get a little blowup tonight.....

14 carries, 95 yards, 1 td

6 catches, 73 yards, 1 td
A nice dream, but I have no faith in the Lions offense against Seattle's D. On paper they have all the pieces at the skill positions to pick teams apart, but it's not happening. Stafford is Cutler 2.0 and for whatever reason Calvin isn't taking over games.

That being said, if Ameer continues to struggle tonight then you could see some dynasty owners hit the panic button. I'll be willing to take him off their hands if they're selling for the equivalent of a late 1st.

This was an encouraging game for AA and hopefully will quiet the Zenner crowd. AA is the primary ball carrier in this offense, at least when Bell is out. I still believe the Lions know AA is the future and have simply been phasing the rookie in slowly. Unfortunately, they played a stout D tonight on away from home, so his numbers didn't help anyone win. Either way, my confidence in AA remains unswayed, at least his role in the offense. The Lions offense as a whole, however, stinks!

I thought Abdullah looked pretty good despite the numbers. As others have mentioned the Lions OL isn't giving any of the RBs a chance.

First Quarter of the Season:

34-115-3.4-1

9-83-9.2-1

43 touches 198 yards

That's a 792 YFS pace

NFW

He needs a better line to be effective. He's not the type of guy that will break a lot of tackles which he'll definitely have to do behind that line.

The Lions' lack of offensive creativity is killing Abdullah. He catches a pass for 11 yards on his first target and then only gets one more reception the rest of the game. He should be getting 4-5 catches a game to get him in space. And why keep pounding him between the tackles against a stout run defense? Those plays had a 0% chance of being successful. I still like his talent a lot but between the horrible O Line and the poor coaching I'm not sure he can be anything more than a matchup play at this point. And even though Gurley gashed the Cardinals on Sunday I'm not sure the Week 5 matchup is a favorable one for Abdullah - even if Bell is out again.

The Lions' lack of offensive creativity is killing Abdullah. He catches a pass for 11 yards on his first target and then only gets one more reception the rest of the game. He should be getting 4-5 catches a game to get him in space. And why keep pounding him between the tackles against a stout run defense? Those plays had a 0% chance of being successful. I still like his talent a lot but between the horrible O Line and the poor coaching I'm not sure he can be anything more than a matchup play at this point. And even though Gurley gashed the Cardinals on Sunday I'm not sure the Week 5 matchup is a favorable one for Abdullah - even if Bell is out again.
agreed because Gurley broke a number of tackles which AA will have trouble doing vs. that defense. I agree that they need to get him into space for him to be effective. He's not the guy you want to bang between the tackles and grind it out with.

The Lions are just bad right now...and I thought my Beloved Bears were bad...I mean they are, but at least they are truly rebuilding.

Ameer will be good...when the Lions offense (coaching and line) gets better...I guess IF they get better...

People were killing Gruden in the game last night (always do, usually deserved) but he was right. It's easy to figure what's coming based on their formation. I don't even go back and rewatch games - I know their tendencies just from casual viewing.

I-formation double TE - we're running right up the gut, can you stop us? Oh, you can?? Well how about the next four times? We'll even run it from our own 9 with 6 minutes left. Oh...####, that's weird...stuffed again. Two minute drill, first pass is going to Theo. Every. Single. Time. They came out in the 2nd Q with trips stacked right with a lone back. Right away I said "Off tackle left, how many times have we seen this in the 21 games Lombardi has been calling plays?" Shockingly it gained five yards.

10 possessions. 8 punts, 1 FG, and the last drive of 90 yards ending in the fumble.

AA opened his career with a 24 yard TD run. He's gone 33-91-0 since. He is dynamic in space but Lombardi is clueless.

People were killing Gruden in the game last night (always do, usually deserved) but he was right. It's easy to figure what's coming based on their formation. I don't even go back and rewatch games - I know their tendencies just from casual viewing.

I-formation double TE - we're running right up the gut, can you stop us? Oh, you can?? Well how about the next four times? We'll even run it from our own 9 with 6 minutes left. Oh...####, that's weird...stuffed again. Two minute drill, first pass is going to Theo. Every. Single. Time. They came out in the 2nd Q with trips stacked right with a lone back. Right away I said "Off tackle left, how many times have we seen this in the 21 games Lombardi has been calling plays?" Shockingly it gained five yards.

10 possessions. 8 punts, 1 FG, and the last drive of 90 yards ending in the fumble.

AA opened his career with a 24 yard TD run. He's gone 33-91-0 since. He is dynamic in space but Lombardi is clueless.
After all the hype, he has certainly disappointed. I think you are right about the source of the issue, though. It does not seem to lie at his feet but with the way the coaches run this team.

I can't believe it is possibly a coincidence that the minute Caldwell showed up in Detroit, Calvin went from being a scary nightmare each week to a guy that "has a good day every once in a while".

It amazes me that ownership groups in this league tolerate this type of coaching when they can look around the league and even in college and see terrific, lively offensive minds. Every time I watch the Lions and a couple of the other teams around the league, I feel like I'm watching the early 90's Bears, when they were still trying to hang in there with the defense (and they did sometimes) but the magic, the dynamics, the everything else was just gone from the offense and it was SO boring and painful.

After all the hype, he has certainly disappointed. I think you are right about the source of the issue, though. It does not seem to lie at his feet but with the way the coaches run this team.

I can't believe it is possibly a coincidence that the minute Caldwell showed up in Detroit, Calvin went from being a scary nightmare each week to a guy that "has a good day every once in a while".

It amazes me that ownership groups in this league tolerate this type of coaching when they can look around the league and even in college and see terrific, lively offensive minds. Every time I watch the Lions and a couple of the other teams around the league, I feel like I'm watching the early 90's Bears, when they were still trying to hang in there with the defense (and they did sometimes) but the magic, the dynamics, the everything else was just gone from the offense and it was SO boring and painful.
You just described what it has been like to be a Dolphins fan watching this team since 1996.

I am not a Caldwell fan. I have seen him butcher clock management and general game plans. But Calvin's drop in usage lies just as much on Lombardi.

Baltimore was going to fire Caldwell..the Lions did not give them a chance as they hired him before that happened.

Bell is going to come back and eat into some of his carries, Riddick is eating into his potential receptions, the O-Line is so bad that even if AA was the bellcow it probably wouldnt make him anything but a low end RB2. Im not loving this.

It's been a brutal schedule. Denver, Seattle, and now Arizona is as hard as it gets. But starting with Week 10 it seems to loosens up. I have hope Ameer will be a difference maker down the stretch.

Users who are viewing this thread