What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Ameer Abdullah - The Bandwagon (2 Viewers)

Would you start over TY Hilton? Crowell? PPR... 

I feel like this would be about TY's ceiling. I wouldn't consider starting him but he is playing CLE... if IND is going to be any kind of good this season CLE might be it although their D isn't as bad as years past. 

I kind of like this prediction, especially the receptions, but I don't know if that's realistic because he hasn't gotten enough targets in the passing game to even allow for 5 receptions since September 11 2016 (granted, we're talking 4 games, but before that it was Sept/Oct 2015 2 games... So 3 games over his career of 5 targets; he's never had more than 5 targets)
I am a big fan of Crowell and it's definitely a plus matchup so I would probably go with him over Abdullah but it's close and I wouldn't fault you for starting Ameer.

For me Hilton is borderline unstartable until Luck comes back.

Some more stats..

79 of AA's 86 yards came after contact last night.

His 3.6 yards after contact is currently the 6th most amongst RBs after Cohen (6), Hunt (4.4), Henry (4.1), Coleman (3.9) and Breida (3.9).
Please tell me that doesn't include the attempted fingernail tackle when AA busted one to the house the long run and got caught from behind? Because I'm not sure you could really define that as "contact". Not trying to be confrontational at all, but come on - that was a bad tackle. lol

This is going to depend on how competitive the game is, I kind of wish it was in ATL because DET is only +3.

Still, RBs have been targeted 26 times vs. ATL. Unsurprisingly they've given up the most receptions (19). Maybe Cohen skews this a bit, but even Howard saw 5 targets. Like I said, ATL likes to keep everything in front of them. 5 receptions seems lofty but I don't think it's crazy. This assumes a 100% catch rate, so what I'm saying is I think he'll see 5 targets.
No game this year had both teams go over 30 points yet this season, this one has the potential. 

Please tell me that doesn't include the attempted fingernail tackle when AA busted one to the house the long run and got caught from behind? Because I'm not sure you could really define that as "contact". Not trying to be confrontational at all, but come on - that was a bad tackle. lol
Was that the 24 yarder? Hey man, I don't work for PFF, don't shoot the messenger. Contact is contact.

Was that the 24 yarder? Hey man, I don't work for PFF, don't shoot the messenger. Contact is contact.
A generous definition for sure. And yeah - the 24 yarder - he slipped through a hole and I think a defender's fingertip grazed Abdullah's shoelace. Still a good game for AA, no doubt. 

Not sure what you guys are seeing, I know the numbers no need to repost them, but he doesn't look very good, one long run late in the game or his numbers suck, two weeks in a row, granted there tuff matchups but not looking good.

Not sure what you guys are seeing, I know the numbers no need to repost them, but he doesn't look very good, one long run late in the game or his numbers suck, two weeks in a row, granted there tuff matchups but not looking good.
I think they're seeing opportunity. 

Not a lot of RBs getting the sheer volume AA is getting, which makes AA a high weekly floor as a RB3/Flex back.

Many argued the same about Kelly last year, and turned out to be correct. 

Obv AA doesn't get the same TD opportunities but any RB who touches the ball that much has a chance at a monster day. 

It's just a lower ceiling with AA due to type of use. 

Joe, the grudges from some have got to stop. Hard when you are called a 17 year old who is just causing problems, when it is the person making such accusations derailing a thread and saying as much in his comments.  

I simply made a remark about Abdullah and Riddick and the thread was derailed and people called me out by name for derailing it. The mob mentality began, It is clear as day who derailed this thread and went out of their way to do so. This may be a forum, but why so many people dislike others is they constantly see posters rag on other posters with such irresponsible accusations.

You have constantly said being excellent, is calling me out by name saying see what happens when Mavis comments, is that excellent Joe? Even went as far to say I'm a 17 year old kid who likes to cause problems, he clearly has a grudge and he is trying to insult me at every turn. This guy literally broke many rules with his comments here, how does he not get a time out and shown just because you disagree with them you cant troll them and insult them.

I tried to PM.
Drop it there and get back to football. Full stop. 

When you take away the big run from a back their numbers tend to get very mediocre.  The fact is he did have that run. 
I never liked that argument of take away that one run, because often times that one run isn't a mistake. 

a back can pound the ball for 2 ypc for 15 carries. wear the defense down and get them used to defending the same gaps, then boom he busts one deep on the outside. wasn't a mistake, he wore them down and then changed it up. doesn't happen 100% of the time, but it's more often not by mistake imo 

no different than one of Rodgers patented hard counts. go on 1 the entire game, then change it to 2 and the defense jumps over. 

Part of the benefit of pacing your RB's is so those runs show up at the end of games when they still have their legs against a tiring defense.

Fact is, the buzz Dalvin Cook had all last week was because of two big 4th quarter 30+ yard runs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Drop it there and get back to football. Full stop. 
Good, good. 

Back to Abdullah could be more effective as the change of pace guy. It just seems like a matter of time before he gets banged up again running between the tackles like he did last night. Him and Riddick are same size, but Riddick just seems to run with more power. Abdullah dances and is better in open space, I am an owner close to cutting in a short bench league and have to decide between him and Riddick as bye weeks approach. 

Back to Abdullah could be more effective as the change of pace guy. It just seems like a matter of time before he gets banged up again running between the tackles like he did last night. Him and Riddick are same size, but Riddick just seems to run with more power. Abdullah dances and is better in open space, I am an owner close to cutting in a short bench league and have to decide between him and Riddick as bye weeks approach. 
Everything you said, the opposite is true. 

I guess it depends on how you look at it.  Are we allowed to ignore all the runs where he was hit three yards behind the line of scrimmage?

Good, good. 

If you are in a PPR you should probably keep Riddick.  However the notion that Riddick runs with more power is completely counter to all the data and game film.  They both dance, personally I think Riddick is better in open space but that is difficult to judge objectively.

And Abdullah didn't run between the tackles often last night at all.  I think he had four runs over the guards everything else was off tackle, or bounced off tackle.

Serious question.. why?

I had him last year and decided to keep him over Watkins this yr and frankly, he sucks in ff
Because he's a really talented and complete RB who did an impressive job on a very bad team last year. I get that his production is down this year so far but it's still a bad team, maybe worse than last year. Your expectations for him maybe off, personally I think that he finishes the year of as a solid number two running back.

Because he's a really talented and complete RB who did an impressive job on a very bad team last year. I get that his production is down this year so far but it's still a bad team, maybe worse than last year. Your expectations for him maybe off, personally I think that he finishes the year of as a solid number two running back.
He went from wks 9-15 last yr without a td

Averaged 2.something catches per game

Got more than 12 carries in a game once after wk 7...4 games with single digits carries after wk 7

Scored 10 and 3 pts so far this year in 1 pt ppr

My expectations this yr were a quality rb2 fwiw

Got more than 12 carries in a game once after wk 7...4 games with single digits carries after wk 7

on his preseason page was a blurb about how he scored double digits 13 of 16 games or something and 6 of those were over 20. something crazy like that. 

edit: must have been 9 games and 6 were over 20. it was impressive tbh

on his preseason page was a blurb about how he scored double digits 13 of 16 games or something and 6 of those were over 20. something crazy like that. 

edit: must have been 9 games and 6 were over 20. it was impressive tbh
:no:

You must have him confused with someone else 

:no:

You must have him confused with someone else 
ppr, 10/16 games double digits. of those 10, 6 are over 15, 3 over 20.

might be off by a little, quick math 

week 1. 13.8

week 2. 20.8

week 3. 7.9

week 4. 22.2

week 5. 4.0

week 6. 5.6

week 7. 16.9

week 8. 14.3

week 9. 10.7

week 10. 8.3

week 11. 7.3

week 12. 15.1

week 13 . 12.8

week 14. 2.8

week 15. 21.8

week 16. 19.8

Exactly! And he still managed to average 4.8 YPC and 8 YPR as the the only legitimate offensive threat on a one win team that was second lowest in scoring and 27th in total plays per game. A regression throughout last season should have been expected as defenses started to key on him more and more.

You could argue that Pryor was an offensive weapon and I'll accept that. I think he is a physical freak but I am not sure he was significantly game planned against relative to Crowell, particularly with the array of QBs they had throwing the ball.  I would argue that part of the reason Pryor broke 1,000 yards is because defenses dared Cleveland to beat them through the air.

ppr, 10/16 games double digits. of those 10, 6 are over 15, 3 over 20.

might be off by a little, quick math 

week 1. 13.8

week 2. 20.8

week 3. 7.9

week 4. 22.2

week 5. 4.0

week 6. 5.6

week 7. 16.9

week 8. 14.3

week 9. 10.7

week 10. 8.3

week 11. 7.3

week 12. 15.1

week 14. 2.8

week 15. 21.8

week 16. 19.8
Week 13 he was on bye.

Week 15 he had 2...not 21.8

So if wks 10 and 11 didn't kill your playoff hopes the 2.8 in wk 15 most likely sunk you

For the record, I had the luck of starting him on all the clunker wks last yr...that probably leads to my dislike of him for ff purposes

Exactly! And he still managed to average 4.8 YPC and 8 YPR as the the only legitimate offensive threat on a one win team that was second lowest in scoring and 27th in total plays per game. A regression throughout last season should have been expected as defenses started to key on him more and more.

You could argue that Pryor was an offensive weapon and I'll accept that. I think he is a physical freak but I am not sure he was significantly game planned against relative to Crowell, particularly with the array of QBs they had throwing the ball.  I would argue that part of the reason Pryor broke 1,000 yards is because defenses dared Cleveland to beat them through the air.
And that's fine, he's a good football player. My post up thread tonight was asking why you love him in FF

And that 4.8 was on less than 200 carries.

And the 8 was on I believe 30some catches?

And that's fine, he's a good football player. My post up thread tonight was asking why you love him in FF

And that 4.8 was on less than 200 carries.

And the 8 was on I believe 30some catches?
198 carries and 40 receptions.  I'll stand by those numbers.

Where were you able to draft him in FF last year?  For most of us we got tremendous ROI on him.

198 carries and 40 receptions.  I'll stand by those numbers.

Where were you able to draft him in FF last year?  For most of us we got tremendous ROI on him.
7th Rd i believe. Which is good value I suppose but it doesn't matter where you draft a guy if he gets you <10 pts 7 times.

Maybe you were lucky enough to start him the few times he went off

7th Rd i believe. Which is good value I suppose but it doesn't matter where you draft a guy if he gets you <10 pts 7 times.

Maybe you were lucky enough to start him the few times he went off
I was and then I traded him (and Kyle Rudolph) in week 5 for AJ Green and the Packers defense.

It was a steal right up until Green was knocked out for the season in week 11.  Like I said, IMO a regression was to be expected.

Week 13 he was on bye.

Week 15 he had 2...not 21.8

So if wks 10 and 11 didn't kill your playoff hopes the 2.8 in wk 15 most likely sunk you

For the record, I had the luck of starting him on all the clunker wks last yr...that probably leads to my dislike of him for ff purposes
I traded for him week 3 or 4 for Parker. he never started for me. had Bell and picked up Ajayi off WW (short bench, before foster retired) 

thatguythere said:
Looks an awful lot like my Madden 2003 play calling...

RB toss, RB toss, Dive bounced to the outside, Dive bounced to the outside, repeat over and over and over for 300 rushing yards. 

That's my take away from his highlights. Had a few cuts back inside that fooled the defenses great, because they all expect him to go to the outside. 

Still holding hope he can be a fantasy contributor for my team this season, but too many outside runs for my liking, especially for a guy who isn't a burner

Looked like he was having a hard time with his footing.   He slipped on the turf quite a few times.
I noticed that too, almost like his feet are ahead of what he is trying to do.

I also noticed it looks like he has bad timing and reading the play, what I mean by that is he seems to be too patient on certain runs and then not patient enough on other runs. I think he left quite a bit of yardage on the field that day. If he reads the plays better I think he has another 20 yards on the day.

I noticed that too, almost like his feet are ahead of what he is trying to do.

I also noticed it looks like he has bad timing and reading the play, what I mean by that is he seems to be too patient on certain runs and then not patient enough on other runs. I think he left quite a bit of yardage on the field that day. If he reads the plays better I think he has another 20 yards on the day.
This guy has played only 20 games in his three years....so I'm expecting it to take a half dozen games or so for him to get in the groove and run with a little more patience.   It would be nice to see him make it thru the season playing every game.

This guy has played only 20 games in his three years....so I'm expecting it to take a half dozen games or so for him to get in the groove and run with a little more patience.   It would be nice to see him make it thru the season playing every game.
He has played 20 games out of 34. Not 3 years. He did make it through every game his rookie year. 

Because Ty is my boo. :wub:

also; I've got 10 varieties of sauce & im California's most award winning sauce maker with 75 national awards in 5+ years.

My avi is my company logo. I'm not anonymous on here and several members here know me in RL, so I fail to see how or why I'd be accused of being someone else, but frankly I'm more than a little sick of it.
Just bought 3 bottles and a shirt.   :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread