What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Ameer Abdullah - The Bandwagon (3 Viewers)

He is going to pay off for people this year based on his ADP.
Exactly.  You can not compare him to backs drafted in the first or second round. He was drafted as a low-end RB2 or RB3.  He is probably getting more touches than most everyone in that grouping.  It would be nice if he got more passes or some GL opportunities, but he has performed or even outperformed his draft position so far.  For me he is a backup and bye week fill-in.  

Exactly.  You can not compare him to backs drafted in the first or second round. He was drafted as a low-end RB2 or RB3.  He is probably getting more touches than most everyone in that grouping.  It would be nice if he got more passes or some GL opportunities, but he has performed or even outperformed his draft position so far.  For me he is a backup and bye week fill-in.  
I buy that.  

Riddick is a former WR, and I don't mean that in a Ty Montgomery kind of way.

Still amazed at how much chatter AA generates. He's a nice RB2 in standard and a bye week filler in PPR. His role won't change barring injury, and the "Riddick on passing downs / Bell-Washington-Zenenr inside the RZ" refrain has been on repeat three years running.

It's like people watch a guy play and then ignore that to project whatever they want. He's an OK back and I hope he continues to play effectively, but he's just one part of team that spreads the ball around to a lot of players.
RZ carries 2015

Bell - 17

Abdullah - 11

Stafford - 5

Burton, Winn, Zenner - 1

RZ carries 2016 

Zenner - 13

Riddick - 7

Stafford - 6

Abdullah - 2

Ebron, Tate - 1

RZ carries 2017

Washington - 4

Abdullah - 4

Maybe this year will be different?

Last edited by a moderator:
This guy has played only 20 games in his three years....so I'm expecting it to take a half dozen games or so for him to get in the groove and run with a little more patience.   It would be nice to see him make it thru the season playing every game.
That would be a nice excuse for the slow start, but RBs don't really need to knock off the rust if they've been active during offseason activities and the preseason. I expected LeVeon to show a little rust, but Abdullah should hit the ground running. He was used quite a bit in the preseason: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcmFcDgITy0

The reality is that he's played 2 good defenses and really if his screen hadn't been called back I think people would be pretty happy with his week 2 performance. If they stop primarily using him to hammer it on 1st and 10 and start using him in the passing game (like they did in that preseason clip) to get him in space then things should really take off as the schedule lightens up. FWIW, he plays Minnesota and Carolina in weeks 4 & 5. Plays vs. Chicago and @Cincy in weeks 15 and 16 for those looking ahead... Both of those are games where Riddick and the 2 minute drill should be minimal. 

As for playing every game, in the past 6 years, he's played every game in 5 of those years. I like his odds of playing at least 14 games which is about all we should expect out of any RB averaging over 15 touches per game.

He is going to pay off for people this year based on his ADP.
I think this is the point some people are missing. I urge everyone to go back and look at an August ADP and pick out some players they'd rather have at his price.

Because Ty is my boo. :wub:

also; I've got 10 varieties of sauce & im California's most award winning sauce maker with 75 national awards in 5+ years.

My avi is my company logo. I'm not anonymous on here and several members here know me in RL, so I fail to see how or why I'd be accused of being someone else, but frankly I'm more than a little sick of it.
Yeah but Mavis owns Frank's Red Hot Sauce and I put that #### on everything.

also; I've got 10 varieties of sauce & im California's most award winning sauce maker with 75 national awards in 5+ years.

My avi is my company logo. I'm not anonymous on here and several members here know me in RL, so I fail to see how or why I'd be accused of being someone else, but frankly I'm more than a little sick of it.
Just found your website and FB page, you Lucky Dog.  :thumbup:

Damn you!  I have work to do today.  Now I find this.

I'm starting both AA and Riddick on the same team this week.

Also, Washington has been ruled out. I do expect Zenner to be active, however.

I'm starting both AA and Riddick on the same team this week.

Also, Washington has been ruled out. I do expect Zenner to be active, however.
Same, 16 team dynasty with Abdullah and Riddick (along with Crowell) as my RBs. The amount of touches Abdullah got this past week is very encouraging. 

It's his third season, you are completely missing my point.

This guy has played only 20 games in his three years....so I'm expecting it to take a half dozen games or so for him to get in the groove and run with a little more patience.   It would be nice to see him make it thru the season playing every game.

Here is your first quote. Your point is he is missed a ton of time and needs to get in the groove to run with more patience. What groove? It isn't like he missed all of training camp and preseason and isn't in game shape, it isn't like the Lions are running a new system or he is on a new team, he has been on the team 2 full years he should know this system inside and out and if he doesn't that is on him. If he is a starting caliber running back in the NFL he needs to have better timing, at least that is what it looked like to me, he shouldn't need 6 games to get into the groove because he was out last year, he is fully healthy and shouldn't  need time to find a groove.

It is a bad point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Washington got banged up. ZZ is a short yardage banger. No impact to AA that he wasn't already impacted by (lack of short yardage carries). 
That is the one bad thing about owning Detroit running backs, it takes 2 or more injuries for them to get increased usage, other wise they just roll the next guy to take the roll of the injured guy.

AA looked great in the passing game yesterday

Riddick had some true magic with Stafford for years, I think teams have finally figured it out

He's got one, and one only, move. Theo sticks a dead leg out there and pulls it back; it's an amazing move, and I've seen scores of guys get twisted up trying to get a bead on him after a catch. Yesterday the Falcons seem to know the exact Theo play that was coming based on personal / set / down & distance. On a crucial third down in the first half (right before the Ryan pick 6), they snuffed out a play and you could tell Stafford was shocked, didn't even try to go through his progression. That play has worked for three years, but not yesterday.

Can't believe I'm typing this....

Might be the end of the Riddick era in Detroit. I don't think he's going to have 80-95 catches this year. It was a run.

5th string tailback / 53rd man on the roster / special teamer

OK, we're listening
Lol. Like the back up Goalie and QB in Detroit, it's always the guy riding the pine that is the next savior!! 

They kept 5 RBs for a reason and that reason is that they liked what they saw of him. His a big guy at 6' 220lbs, has a little wiggle and he can catch. 

At some point this season he will get a chance. He may not amount to anything but the guys in front of him aren't the long term answer. I like Abdullah but, IMO, he is not the answer for this team. 

AA looked great in the passing game yesterday

Riddick had some true magic with Stafford for years, I think teams have finally figured it out

He's got one, and one only, move. Theo sticks a dead leg out there and pulls it back; it's an amazing move, and I've seen scores of guys get twisted up trying to get a bead on him after a catch. Yesterday the Falcons seem to know the exact Theo play that was coming based on personal / set / down & distance. On a crucial third down in the first half (right before the Ryan pick 6), they snuffed out a play and you could tell Stafford was shocked, didn't even try to go through his progression. That play has worked for three years, but not yesterday.

Can't believe I'm typing this....

Might be the end of the Riddick era in Detroit. I don't think he's going to have 80-95 catches this year. It was a run.
I think there was a funny Joique Bell interview where he talked about this. It's true, though. Probably the reason why he's crappy between the tackles but elusive in space - that move only works in space. 

I hope you are right about the end of the Riddick era, though. If he can get 50% of the RB targets I think it'll be good for the Lions in real life and for AA owners in fantasy (and Stafford owners to a lesser extent). 

Lol. Like the back up Goalie and QB in Detroit, it's always the guy riding the pine that is the next savior!! 

They kept 5 RBs for a reason and that reason is that they liked what they saw of him. His a big guy at 6' 220lbs, has a little wiggle and he can catch. 

At some point this season he will get a chance. He may not amount to anything but the guys in front of him aren't the long term answer. I like Abdullah but, IMO, he is not the answer for this team. 
I think AA could be the answer - but it would take some creative/adaptive work on the OC's part to play to his strengths rather than just running him into the teeth of the defense. Right now they must be broadcasting their plays somehow. AA is getting blow up in the backfield on both inside and outside runs (or so it seems). He'd be better off at this point getting used like GB is using Ty Montgomery (about a 2:1 ratio of rushes to targets). 

But moving on to your other point, I don't know anything about this Green fellow, but I actually like Washington and Zenner, but particularly Zenner - he's looked good when given the chance and seems pretty versatile. It appears as though Green isn't playing special teams, though (only Washington is), so they must like him as a RB. You might be onto something. Teams don't usually carry a non-special teams 5th RB.

Good call, @FF Ninja - I think it was Joique (just an OK back, but elite as a human being.) "Dude's got one move. It's a helluva move, that dead leg. Keeps working, they fall for it every time. One move."

Its safe to say he will not amount to anything.

I have AA on the bench this weekend against MIN but hesitant about it. Anyone starting AA with confidence? 
If anyone is starting him with confidence, I must call their judgment into question. Personally I've gone back and forth about starting him. Currently on my bench in most leagues in which I've got him. But his usage in week 3 was encouraging: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o70yfCPkpY

3 targets, 3 rec, 3 first downs compared to Riddick's 9 targets, 4 rec, 2 first downs. Also, as a runner he looked really shifty. I can see where all those YAC are coming from... he regularly got ~3 YAC just to lose a yard on the carry or get back to the LOS. The blocking has been disappointing. Hopefully JBC watches some film and shifts his game plan up, becoming a little less predictable while also utilizing AA in the passing game more.

With Bradford out again, I'm wondering if the Lions might have a favorable game flow. Don't want to see another week where Riddick curiously outsnaps him.

I keep seeing stuff like this..

Nathan Jahnke‏Verified account @PFF_NateJahnke

Over the last 2 seasons, Ameer Abdullah has averaged 3.48 yards after contact per carry, 2nd-best for all backs with 50 or more carries
Mike Castiglione‏ @Castiglione_PFF

Ameer Abdullah has 116 rushing yards this season, 114 of which are after contact. 3rd-most missed tackles. Ranked 4th in elusive rating
Adam Carriker‏Verified account @AdamCarriker94  Sep 25

.@Ameerguapo has gained 90% of his rushing yards after contact this year. He was also named the @Lions 2017 Ed Block Courage Award winner.
Logan Lamorandier‏ @LLamorandier  2h2 hours ago

#Lions RB Ameer Abdullah has faced more defenders in the box than he had blockers the 5th most in the NFL. That makes it difficult to run

Only Kareem Hunt averages more yards after contact that AA. It's crazy because I want to say "give him more touches" but he's already being utilized around 18 times a game. It's just that the value of his utilization in this offense behind that OL is next to worthless. But at least I can #### on the next person who tries to use his ypc as an argument against him.  :shrug:

Only Kareem Hunt averages more yards after contact that AA. It's crazy because I want to say "give him more touches" but he's already being utilized around 18 times a game. It's just that the value of his utilization in this offense behind that OL is next to worthless. But at least I can #### on the next person who tries to use his ypc as an argument against him.  :shrug:
The Oline is the biggest problem with AA.  He passes the eye test and could easily be a RB2 if Detroit had a decent Oline.  That is a big "if" so AA stays on the bench. 

Users who are viewing this thread