What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Ameer Abdullah - The Bandwagon (4 Viewers)

The Oline is the biggest problem with AA.  He passes the eye test and could easily be a RB2 if Detroit had a decent Oline.  That is a big "if" so AA stays on the bench. 
The situational usage approach is also what hinders AA. I've said it before in here - DET won't use him at the GL, they shy away from him in the RZ, and they prefer a "receiving back" in Riddick.

I suspect the names don't even matter to the Lions. It's just a role-based offensive system. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The situational usage approach is also what hinders AA. I've said it before in here - DET won't use him at the GL, they shy away from him in the RZ, and they prefer a "receiving back" in Riddick.

I suspect the names don't even matter to the Lions. It's just a role-based offensive system. 
Agreed. If AA got the reception duties OR the goal line duties in addition to his current workload he'd be an no brainer every week starter. Its more likely in the event of an injury that he would take over receiving back duties as he is good at that and probably more effective than GL. If Riddick goes down he probably would take those over, but if Washington goes down they would plug in Zenner so really AA wont take the leap to every week starter unless Riddick is no longer in the picture, whether that means he sits or gets injured.

Until then he's RB2-3 borderline flex spot start material.

I really feel like the Lions need to give Abdullah 20+ touches for the next 4 to 6 weeks.

The 2018 draft class looks to be another loaded running class. They need to find out if Abdullah is the guy or if they need to invest in a day 1 or day 2 back. 

Almost as frustrated with his usage as I've been with Mark Ingram's over most of his career. The talent seems obvious, but the way he's utilized and the support around him is frustrating

I really feel like the Lions need to give Abdullah 20+ touches for the next 4 to 6 weeks.

The 2018 draft class looks to be another loaded running class. They need to find out if Abdullah is the guy or if they need to invest in a day 1 or day 2 back. 
An elite every down back could take this offence over the top. I salivate thinking about an Elliot, Gurley, Fournette type for defences to contend with at the same time as Stafford. I'd honestly just go get a primo back and rest of draft just go D 

Almost as frustrated with his usage as I've been with Mark Ingram's over most of his career. The talent seems obvious, but the way he's utilized and the support around him is frustrating
His talent is over stated and Riddick is a great pass catcher in his own right...if theo got dinged up i think Ameer would be something decent

An elite every down back could take this offence over the top. I salivate thinking about an Elliot, Gurley, Fournette type for defences to contend with at the same time as Stafford. I'd honestly just go get a primo back and rest of draft just go D 
It might, but I would still see what Abdullah can do. No point in using that high pick if Abdullah can be that guy.

Abdullah has the look of an RB who will eventually turn into a good third down/all purpose back...that is not a knock on him...he is pretty good but I don't think he is good enough to be a #1...he is kind of a poor man's Lamar Miller (another RB who I don't think is a legit #1)...that being said he is their #1 this year so he still has solid value and if he can stay healthy he will only have more value as other RB's get dinged up as the season progresses...

Abdullah has the look of an RB who will eventually turn into a good third down/all purpose back...that is not a knock on him...he is pretty good but I don't think he is good enough to be a #1...he is kind of a poor man's Lamar Miller (another RB who I don't think is a legit #1)...that being said he is their #1 this year so he still has solid value and if he can stay healthy he will only have more value as other RB's get dinged up as the season progresses...
Miller is a poor man's Abdullah but I get the comp.

It might, but I would still see what Abdullah can do. No point in using that high pick if Abdullah can be that guy.
I like Abdullah, think he is good and want him to do well, but he's not built like those other guys and doesn't have the same strengths. He doesn't quite have the power of them, and whilst he has excellent acceleration, he doesn't quite have that top gear speed that pulls him away from last gasp defenders. I'd love to see a Barkley, Guice or Scarborough in the team, with Abdullah potentially still getting a decent amount of carries/receptions. 

Might be the end of the Riddick era in Detroit. I don't think he's going to have 80-95 catches this year. It was a run.
Interesting.

Not sure if this is true or not but I respect your opinion about this if Ameer is playing well enough to relegate Riddick to a smaller role in the offense.

Odds are certainly on your side as far as Riddick having fewer than 80 receptions.

Might be the end of the Riddick era in Detroit. I don't think he's going to have 80-95 catches this year. It was a run.
Interesting.

Not sure if this is true or not but I respect your opinion about this if Ameer is playing well enough to relegate Riddick to a smaller role in the offense.

Odds are certainly on your side as far as Riddick having fewer than 80 receptions.
I’m speculating, of course - he’s just doesn’t seem as elusive as years past. I think also Cooter - who is a great OC, Stafford got benched a few weeks before Joe Lombardi was canned - is def guilty of falling into discernible patterns. For instance, last year they must have run the same Theo flare to start the two minute offense six times. Hey, keep doing it until they show they can stop you.

Atlanta absolutely blew up almost every designed pass to Riddick last week. 4 receptions on 9 targets - that just hasn’t happened. Ever.

Isn't Jim Bob Cooter a product of the Sean Payton, New Orleans system?

While I like the volume that Abdullah is getting it does concern me that this offense has a New Orleans influence.

Isn't Jim Bob Cooter a product of the Sean Payton, New Orleans system?

While I like the volume that Abdullah is getting it does concern me that this offense has a New Orleans influence.
That was Lombardi.  I think Cooter got started in Denver, while Peyton was there.

*Edit*  Decided to look it up.  Got started at U of Ten, then on to Indy, eventually Denver, then Detroit as a QB coach, replacing Lombardi as OC when he was fired.

I’m speculating, of course - he’s just doesn’t seem as elusive as years past. I think also Cooter - who is a great OC, Stafford got benched a few weeks before Joe Lombardi was canned - is def guilty of falling into discernible patterns. For instance, last year they must have run the same Theo flare to start the two minute offense six times. Hey, keep doing it until they show they can stop you.

Atlanta absolutely blew up almost every designed pass to Riddick last week. 4 receptions on 9 targets - that just hasn’t happened. Ever.
Yup, this play by Jones encapsulated the day for Riddick.

Watching tape from last week, AA does some really nice things in the passing game. He had a 22 yard catch and run that he created space for with a double move. Passes to AA are less telegraphed and subsequently more effective IMO.

1. It is 3 games into the season, and the Lions are 2-1 and about a foot from being 3-0. They are focused on winning the division and playoff seeding right now, not the 2018 draft class. If they think giving AA 20+ touches is the best way for them to win games right now, I'm sure that's what they will do. Apparently, they have not felt that way so far.

2. They are already giving him 17+ touches per game so far, and it has not been very effective, regardless of whose fault it is. Why would the coaches giving him 3 more touches per game reveal something to them that they don't already know?

He ran well all day. Oline did make some creases for him every now and then but he he also had some great runs where he had to change direction or just generally work very hard for his yards. Arm extension for the touchdown was really top notch. As long as his foot is okay, it's a great day for Abdullah and something he can hopefully keep going into future weeks

The Vikings had been the most efficient tackling team over 3 weeks but several times found themselves grasping at air as Abdullah found ways to make them miss and stepped out of ankle tackles. Pretty impressed with how well he played and hope his injury isn't serious.

I noticed he was standing on the sideline late in the game after Riddick had a couple runs stuffed. Doesn't really mean anything but if the injury were more serious he likely wouldn't have been standing there to talk to RIddick after he came out of the game.

:shrug:

I think the injury prone label is what limits him more than anything.  Given the other backs on the roster, Ameer should only leave the game when he needs  a breather.

They apparently said it wasn't serious. I take that with a grain of salt but it was near the end where they were running out the clock. If he had a twisted ankle or something they A. Wouldn't want to use him if they aren't sure how effective he'll be and B. Wouldn't want to throw him on there in the obvious running situations for him to get an 8 man box get clobbered, and possibly turn a minor injury into a major one.

I really do hope he's ok though. I was sad to see him pulled when they reached the redzone and elated to see him come back when they hit the goal line. Idk why they refuse to use him there but if he can do it against the Vikings, he can do against anyone

Abdullah is a bit of an enigma IMO. He really needs 15-20 carries a game to showcase his ability to make people miss. He may go 10 carries for 25 but it's the other 10 that make you sit up in your chair and go wow at times.  If you run dive plays etc... and expect him to be a power back he's going to burn you as an offensive coordinator and he's not going to hold up over 16. This is the dilemma. If you are playing from ahead and can keep feeding him the rock, he's really effective. He's sort of like Jamaal Charles except with a bit less power to break tackles.

I see a career year here unless he's got another injury to worry about.

Not sure why Abdullah gets the injury prone label. 

He played in 53 consecutive games at Nebraska (813 carries, 73 receptions, 61 kickoff returns, 31 punt returns).

Then he  played all 16 as a rookie (9 starts, 143 carries, 25 receptions, 37 kickoff returns). 

He gets a random lisfranc injury in week 2 of his second season and suddenly he is injury prone.

What am I missing?

He played in 53 consecutive games at Nebraska (813 carries, 73 receptions, 61 kickoff returns, 31 punt returns).

Then he  played all 16 as a rookie (9 starts, 143 carries, 25 receptions, 37 kickoff returns). 

He gets a random lisfranc injury in week 2 of his second season and suddenly he is injury prone.

What am I missing?
He isn't a 230 lb running back, so he is injury prone.

Abdullah is a bit of an enigma IMO. He really needs 15-20 carries a game to showcase his ability to make people miss. He may go 10 carries for 25 but it's the other 10 that make you sit up in your chair and go wow at times. If you run dive plays etc... and expect him to be a power back he's going to burn you as an offensive coordinator and he's not going to hold up over 16. This is the dilemma. If you are playing from ahead and can keep feeding him The Rock, he's really effective. He's sort of like Jamaal Charles except with a bit less power to break tackles.

I see a career year here unless he's got another injury to worry about.
And zero long speed. I don't think he's very much like Charles.

But today was very promising. Not in a million years did I think he'd total nearly 100 yards on the ground and a TD vs. MIN.

What am I missing?
Maybe I shouldn't say injury prone. He is a smaller back and there is a tendency to monitor the workload of smaller backs to avoid injury.

I didn't see this game, but he seemed to come up a little gimpy on his last run of the previous game too.

I am heavily invested in dynasty and redraft, so I'd rather they just run him as much as possible. If he gets hurt, he gets hurt.

You can’t be serious? Are you? Really?

Barry Sanders....200 lbs......guess he was injury prone.

Emmitt Smith....210 lbs......guess he was injury prone.

I mean we can go down a massive list of RB’s under 230lbs.......all injury prone.

Abdullah has not had a history of injuries......I don’t get it either with this “injury Prone” label all of a sudden because of a lis franc injury. 

I mean we can go down a massive list of RB’s under 230lbs.......all injury prone.

Abdullah has not had a history of injuries......I don’t get it either with this “injury Prone” label all of a sudden because of a lis franc injury. 
You can't be serious right now. :wall:

:sarcasm:

I think she was joking GB  :banned:

Made me laugh a little bit anyways.

At the quarter point:

75 touches/322 YFS/1 TD.  Against some significant defenses (at least against the run).

And consider...RB's on the Lions not named Abdullah have combined for 59 yards rushing on 29 carries.  A lot here to like in terms usage and upside.
On pace for 300 touches, 1288 YFS, 4 TDs

Not bad. The TDs hurt quite a bit but what was encouraging was that AA out-targeted Riddick and got work at the goal line. If that trend continues the above numbers appear to be his floor. 

Don't know if anyone caught it, redzone was all over the place and not on this game much, but there was a play in this game where Riddick ran the completely wrong route out of the backfield. He went completely the wrong way and Stafford got lucky because he basically threw it wide open to the defense and no one picked it. Stafford was fuming at Riddick and actually waved Abdullah onto the field. Whoever called the end of the Riddick era, bravo, I think it's happening.

On pace for 300 touches, 1288 YFS, 4 TDs

Not bad. The TDs hurt quite a bit but what was encouraging was that AA out-targeted Riddick and got work at the goal line. If that trend continues the above numbers appear to be his floor. 
If you saw his TD, it was a very good bit of tough/second effort running.

Whoever called the end of the Riddick era, bravo, I think it's happening.
Riddick is young (26) but an interesting theory could be Detroit staff trying to ease AA into a bell cow role over the course of the first 1/4-1/2 of the season. As stated many times in this thread, AA has the tools that Riddick possesses, so it's not like he has stone hands or can't hold his own in pass pro.

Seeing AA's usage being pretty heavy from day one, and now he's getting pass work and goal line carries leads me to wonder if this is the plan for Detroit. If so, the faithful will be rewarded! 

Another tidbit for this theory: Riddick makes 2 x as much as AA, next year stands to make 3 x. Detroit has a nice potential out after this season. AA is a FA after next year. If they want to resign him he would likely cost quite a bit of money- at the same time Riddick is due to make 4.4 million. 

Maybe seeing what I want to see here, but it's interesting looking at the salaries... I'm not sure how much Riddick factors into DET long term plans. As an AA owner this idea is exciting, but we will see if it actually happens. Now watch, Riddick gets 9 receptions and 3 goal line TDs next week! 

Assuming AA's injury is nothing serious- anyone rolling him out next week? My options are Cohen, Ajayi (has been sucking), AA, Crowell, Collins at RB. I have TY Hilton at flex... thinking of plugging AA in at flex.... PPR

Definitely considering him next week. CJA and Thompson will be on bye so my RB choices will be KHunt, AA, Duke Johnson, and Powell. I'd probably go Powell if Forte is out again but otherwise, it's a toss up and leaning towards AA as my RB2

At the quarter point:

75 touches/322 YFS/1 TD.  Against some significant defenses (at least against the run).

And consider...RB's on the Lions not named Abdullah have combined for 59 yards rushing on 29 carries.  A lot here to like in terms usage and upside.
Yes, being able to run the ball on the road vs. a good defense is not common for this team. Very encouraging sign for both AA owners & Lions fans.

What am I missing?
It is the craziest damn thing. People seem to just love to say it. One missed time injury in six years!

I'm not sure how this sarcasm was missed, but yeah, I think generally anyone at or below 5'9" and under 210 lbs gets labeled injury prone as soon as they miss any time at all. Not sure how being 205 lbs and 5'10" or 5'11" is better than being compact, but somehow it seems to generate less injury prone buzz.

And zero long speed. I don't think he's very much like Charles.

But today was very promising. Not in a million years did I think he'd total nearly 100 yards on the ground and a TD vs. MIN.
To me the best comp is Brian Westbrook. Now he just needs to find an OC who will utilize him like Reid did Westbrook...

At the quarter point:

Yeah, I'm sure a lot of people will look at his 3.9 ypc and think negative thoughts, but he's looking much better than his peers and he's having to break a lot of tackles just to get to the LOS. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Week 4 highlights: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlfEaaDbSUE

My favorite play is probably at 1:10. At 2:16 he makes a play I think very few other RBs could make. Good to see him getting split out wide every once in a while, too.

Assuming AA's injury is nothing serious- anyone rolling him out next week? My options are Cohen, Ajayi (has been sucking), AA, Crowell, Collins at RB. I have TY Hilton at flex... thinking of plugging AA in at flex.... PPR
If AA can run on MN I think he can run on anyone. Game being at home helps. Also, I watched the NE/CAR game yesterday and Gillislee had success against that front.

Think the DET D playing well also helps AA quite a lot. DET much more interested in ball control these days and Stafford doesn't force anything.

Yeah, I'm sure a lot of people will look at his 3.9 ypc and think negative thoughts, but he's looking much better than his peers and he's having to break a lot of tackles just to get to the LOS. 
Abdullah has more power than given credit. He doesn't run straight into defenders but he still finds ways to make yards after contact. Just watch his TD run.

The lack of breakaway speed caps his ypc a little. 3.9 ypc is close to accurate behind this line. I don't see him busting off many 60 yarders; he's no Jamaal Charles. But at least he's getting the red zone carries. And if week 4 is any indication, he should be one of the most heavily utilized backs. Lots of reasons for optimism. 

Abdullah has more power than given credit. He doesn't run straight into defenders but he still finds ways to make yards after contact. Just watch his TD run.

The lack of breakaway speed caps his ypc a little. 3.9 ypc is close to accurate behind this line. I don't see him busting off many 60 yarders; he's no Jamaal Charles. But at least he's getting the red zone carries. And if week 4 is any indication, he should be one of the most heavily utilized backs. Lots of reasons for optimism. 
That PFF stat had him 2nd in the league at yards after contact, so I think 3.9 ypc is actually stellar behind this line. As a rookie he was at 4.2 ypc but everyone else (Bell, Riddick, etc.) was at 3.2 ypc. So his ypc has actually been pretty impressive when taken into context. 

I respectfully disagree about top end speed capping his ypc, though. Top end speed might make the difference between a 50 yard run and an 80 yard run, but realistically, it rarely ever matters. First off, 50 yard runs are very rare. Having the elusiveness to make a DB miss you at 10 yard past the LOS is something that will gain you an extra 10 yards maybe every 20 carries. But gaining that extra 30 yards on top of a 50 yard run maybe comes into play once every 100 carries. And even then, sometimes just being wide open is all you need - I think I mentioned in this thread that I once saw LenDale White score an 80 yard TD. If you catch the defense just right, any NFL player has the speed needed to house it. Top end speed is probably the most overrated part of a RB's game just due to the infrequency in which it comes into play.

I mean, I could be wrong about these gut they don't strike me as really fast guys: Bell has been at 4.9 ypc twice, Shady has been over 5 ypc three times, Alfred Morris hit 4.8 ypc with 335 carries as a rookie. Hell, at age 29 Jerome Bettis once hit 4.8 ypc. As a rookie he hit 4.9 ypc. And back to my favorite comp: Westbrook hit over 5 ypc twice in his career and has a career average of 4.6 ypc. 

Users who are viewing this thread