Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
EBF

Official Ameer Abdullah - The Bandwagon

3 minutes ago, DocHolliday said:

Mistake. Let me add some reasoning.  Carr is out.  Cooper is awful and hurt.  Crabs is hurt.  TE Cook cannot catch.  You don't think the D is going to focus on the Raider's struggling run game? 

They have been getting gashed on the ground and last I checked they are missing their starting DT still. I just have a feeling Lynch finds end zone this week.

3 minutes ago, Weebs210 said:

They have been getting gashed on the ground and last I checked they are missing their starting DT still. I just have a feeling Lynch finds end zone this week.

As a Raider fan, I certainly hope that are right.  If the Oline gets back to playing like last year, the Oakland running game can take off.  Lynch is not the reason for the Raider running game issues.  The lack of passing threat is not going to help though and that is what I was trying to point out in my previous post. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TripleThreat said:

found on http://rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/74831/478/the-nfl-week-5-worksheet?pg=2 

•  Ameer Abdullah (he’s one of just three backs to have 17 touches in every game this season, but Carolina has allowed 80 or fewer rushing yards in three of their four games an individual rusher to hit 60 yards in a game this season)

MIN was scary good those first 3 games which allowed me to hesitate starting Abdullah. Never again.

5 minutes ago, Dr. Dan said:

PPR Abdullah or Hilton...?? Normally I wouldn't hesitate to put in AA but IND faces SF... 

Abdullah seems like the safer play. I have yet to start a Colt this season. Patiently waiting... 

10 hours ago, msudaisy26 said:

Getting a lot of conflicting info the last page or so. I can get him for a 2018 1st in my dynasty league and injuries have killed my running backs. Am I buying high? or is that a good price?

Depends on (1) need and (2) expected finish. If you think Abdullah will propel you to a top 2 finish, then it makes sense. You're probably not getting an Abdullah-level talent at 1.11. 

Also, people forget that draft picks are a bit of a crapshoot. Abdullah is a known commodity and will almost certainly be in the NFL for at least 5 more years. Sometimes you end up with a Sankey, Trent Richardson, Ebron, or a tease like Sammy Watkins. So I'm inclined to trade for known talents, especially when it fills a need. A bird in the hand is worth to in the bush.

I'd say the odds of getting a player better than Abdullah - assuming Abdullah is a high end RB2 for 5 years (age 28 season) - with a 1.07+ draft pick is less than 50%. And most of them will take a year or two to develop or expand their role (Kamara currently getting 1/3rd of snaps, Perine behind Rob Kelley). So if you take net present value into account then it also favors a trade. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FF Ninja said:

Depends on (1) need and (2) expected finish. If you think Abdullah will propel you to a top 2 finish, then it makes sense. You're probably not getting an Abdullah-level talent at 1.11. 

Also, people forget that draft picks are a bit of a crapshoot. Abdullah is a known commodity and will almost certainly be in the NFL for at least 5 more years. Sometimes you end up with a Sankey, Trent Richardson, Ebron, or a tease like Sammy Watkins. So I'm inclined to trade for known talents, especially when it fills a need. A bird in the hand is worth to in the bush.

I'd say the odds of getting a player better than Abdullah - assuming Abdullah is a high end RB2 for 5 years (age 28 season) - with a 1.07+ draft pick is less than 50%. And most of them will take a year or two to develop or expand their role (Kamara currently getting 1/3rd of snaps, Perine behind Rob Kelley). So if you take net present value into account then it also favors a trade. 

I agree. I dealt my 1st & Fleener for Abdullah & Riddick yesterday. Needed a replacement for Cook and didn't want to sell him injured. My team is undefeated and has a clear margin as point leader at the moment. Obviously there's a lot of football to still be played, but I think its very likely that the pick is in the 10~12 range. I also have an extra second from a tied for last place team at the moment and RB depth to deal when Cook comes back next year.

Other offers I received after Cook went down: I give kelvin Benjamin, get Gio. I give Will Fuller, I get Lynch. Passed on both rather easily.

1 minute ago, Buckna said:

I agree. I dealt my 1st & Fleener for Abdullah & Riddick yesterday. Needed a replacement for Cook and didn't want to sell him injured. My team is undefeated and has a clear margin as point leader at the moment. Obviously there's a lot of football to still be played, but I think its very likely that the pick is in the 10~12 range. I also have an extra second from a tied for last place team at the moment and RB depth to deal when Cook comes back next year.

Other offers I received after Cook went down: I give kelvin Benjamin, get Gio. I give Will Fuller, I get Lynch. Passed on both rather easily.

Well, as someone who doesn't like Fuller I'd have taken that Lynch deal, but getting a young, talented RB for a late 1st (with a semi-handcuff) is a smart trade. You were fortunate to find a seller where you didn't have to overpay to fill Cook's spot.

7 minutes ago, FF Ninja said:

Well, as someone who doesn't like Fuller I'd have taken that Lynch deal, but getting a young, talented RB for a late 1st (with a semi-handcuff) is a smart trade. You were fortunate to find a seller where you didn't have to overpay to fill Cook's spot.

Lynch is in a 3 headed monster and now Carr is injured so I want no part of him IMO. And I know we don't see eye to eye on Fuller from our talks in the Houston thread. But yes, tough to make a trade from a position of weakness and not get bent over.

As a new Abdullah owner looking forward to seeing what he can do even against a tough Car defense (also took him in redraft but haven't started him.)

3 hours ago, FF Ninja said:

Yea, I would give a mid-late 1st for him. This is shaping up to be a pretty good RB draft, but even so there are only 3-4 RBs who I think are definitely better prospects than AA was. I'd take Barkley, Chubb, or Guice over him. You can make a case for some other guys, but it's not as clear cut. This WR class looks pretty weak to me. Sutton and Washington might be first rounders. Maybe somebody else sneaks in, but it doesn't look like a stacked group.

So that's probably 5-6 prospects who might clearly be better, but I also think that AA has upside beyond what we've seen so far. Some people are saying sell high, but he's actually a good back. While he's a slightly different style, he has some similarities with LeSean McCoy in terms of skill set and how he can be used. Their rookie years were almost identical and then Ameer got hurt in year 2 before he could really show his skills. He is back now and starting to get into a groove. He may just be getting started from a production standpoint.

Overall, the risk/reward is definitely worth a 1.06-1.08 type of rookie pick for me in a PPR. I wouldn't give a top 3 pick for him, but as you said rookies are volatile commodities in their own right. Even the ones who look like stone cold locks often find ways to bust (i.e. Richardson, Blackmon, K White).

Edited by EBF
  • Like 1

I'd take any 2018 1st for Abdullah, including one that was projected to be late. I'd jump all over it if I owned Abdullah.

Then again, I don't think he's got the ability to be a longterm feature back. I believe he could very well get drafted over in next year's class. In fact, I think it's likely.

Abdullah seems to be one of those guys who people have polarizing opinions on. As for myself, I've never been high on him & took a lot of crap for saying so when he came out, LOL, but I stand by my initial evaluation. I don't think Abdullah sucks. I just don't believe he's longterm feature back material. In short, Abdullah doesn't have the specific traits to overcome his lack of size & strength, IMO.

Edited by Football Jones

1 minute ago, Football Jones said:

I'd take any 2018 1st for Abdullah, including one that was projected to be late. I'd jump all over it if I owned Abdullah.

Then again, I don't think he's got the ability to be a longterm feature back. I believe he could very well get drafted over in next year's class. In fact, I think it's likely.

Abdullah seems to be one of those guys who people have polarizing opinions on. As for myself, I've never been high on him & took a lot of crap for saying so when he came out, but I stand by my initial prediction. I don't think Abdullah sucks. I just don't believe he's longterm feature back material. In short, Abdullah doesn't have the specific traits to overcome his lack of size & strength, IMO.

Fair enough, but I don't agree with much of that. He was a 2nd round pick and is still starting in his third NFL season.

How many RBs in this draft will go before pick 54 (where he went in 2015)? Probably only 4-6.

To say he's not worth any first seems extremely negative to me, but we're all allowed to have opinions on players. I would say that opinion is more on the negative end of the spectrum though. I wouldn't say he's worth a top 3 pick, but something between those two extremes seems fair based on the objective information.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EBF said:

Fair enough, but I don't agree with much of that. He was a 2nd round pick and is still starting in his third NFL season.

How many RBs in this draft will go before pick 54 (where he went in 2015)? Probably only 4-6.

To say he's not worth any first seems extremely negative to me, but we're all allowed to have opinions on players. I would say that opinion is more on the negative end of the spectrum though. I wouldn't say he's worth a top 3 pick, but something between those two extremes seems fair based on the objective information.

I get it. I mean, differing opinions is what FF is all about. :)

Edited by Football Jones

I made the deal. My 2018 1st for Abdullah and I got him to throw in Marquise Lee. 

Edited by msudaisy26
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, EBF said:

Yea, I would give a mid-late 1st for him. This is shaping up to be a pretty good RB draft, but even so there are only 3-4 RBs who I think are definitely better prospects than AA was. I'd take Barkley, Chubb, or Guice over him. You can make a case for some other guys, but it's not as clear cut. This WR class looks pretty weak to me. Sutton and Washington might be first rounders. Maybe somebody else sneaks in, but it doesn't look like a stacked group.

So that's probably 5-6 prospects who might clearly be better, but I also think that AA has upside beyond what we've seen so far. Some people are saying sell high, but he's actually a good back. While he's a slightly different style, he has some similarities with LeSean McCoy in terms of skill set and how he can be used. Their rookie years were almost identical and then Ameer got hurt in year 2 before he could really show his skills. He is back now and starting to get into a groove. He may just be getting started from a production standpoint.

Overall, the risk/reward is definitely worth a 1.06-1.08 type of rookie pick for me in a PPR. I wouldn't give a top 3 pick for him, but as you said rookies are volatile commodities in their own right. Even the ones who look like stone cold locks often find ways to bust (i.e. Richardson, Blackmon, K White).

I agree with this aside from personally not being sure about the quality of WR talent that will declare for the 2018 draft.

Ameer is good and if he puts up a few more strong performances people might not be able to get him for a 1st round pick next year.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Football Jones said:

In short, Abdullah doesn't have the specific traits to overcome his lack of size & strength, IMO.

Just curious, what traits are you looking for? He's got:

• Ability to make people miss
  • Extremely high yards after contact
  • Very good pass catching skills
  • A ridiculous SPARQ score
  • A current feature back job

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, FF Ninja said:

Just curious, what traits are you looking for? He's got:

• Ability to make people miss
  • Extremely high yards after contact
  • Very good pass catching skills
  • A ridiculous SPARQ score
  • A current feature back job

If you're a smaller RB in today's NFL, I believe you need specific high end traits to be a feature back. I don't believe Abdullah is extraordinary at making people miss. His long speed is less than ideal & he's not overly physical. That said, most of the negatives I have against Abdullah are subjective & we could go back & forth all day long, but I've been very successful using this approach with smaller RBs. 

I'll change my opinion of a player in a heartbeat if I think it's warranted. Abdullah has looked good at times, but he's not shown the overall qualities that will make him a likely longterm feature back, IMO.

Edited by Football Jones

10 minutes ago, SameSongNDance said:

Would we expect AA to be fully recovered from his foot injury by now? 

Was limited yesterday in practice so no. Ankle officially. 

Just now, Dr. Dan said:

Was limited yesterday in practice so no. Ankle officially.

No I mean the foot fracture from last year. It might be a silly question but I'm not a doctor.

I was watching cut ups of AA pre-fracture and comparing them to AA vs. NYG in the open field and they didn't look like the same player to me - not even remotely similar. Maybe it was the field? But last week vs. MIN looked more like the lateral agility freak that I remembered. Maybe it's a mental thing? I don't know.

1 minute ago, SameSongNDance said:

No I mean the foot fracture from last year. It might be a silly question but I'm not a doctor.

I was watching cut ups of AA pre-fracture and comparing them to AA vs. NYG in the open field and they didn't look like the same player to me - not even remotely similar. Maybe it was the field? But last week vs. MIN looked more like the lateral agility freak that I remembered. Maybe it's a mental thing? I don't know.

I seen it too. I complained about his timing earlier in the year. He looked like he didn't trust the read he had on this blocks or completely trust his foot.

It didn't look that way at all against the Vikings. He looked decisive, nimble and patient. 

Now whether that was his foot, lack of confidence, better preparation, or just a fluke I am not sure. 

You know what it reminded me of was Leveon Bell after his foot injury his rookie year. He looked slow, plodding and nervous out there, but then I remember seeing him the 1st week of his 2nd season and I was wowwed, it didn't look like the same running back. 

58 minutes ago, SameSongNDance said:

Well, the injury itself should be healed. If it wasn't he wouldn't be playing and we'd likely know; he'd have pain and have issues.

As far as the rehab from this... I don't think so. This usually takes a long time to recover from for someone at this level of physical fitness/competition. Honestly, I wouldn't expect AA to be fully recovered until 12-18 months after injury. If he looks slow, he likely is. He is going to lose some speed, agility, etc. 

Not true for all, I understand... Gio Benard is like 8 months removed from his ACL surgery and he is reportedly faster (timed) than he was last year, crazy. Guy worked hard, that's all I can say. (not saying AA didn't... to be doing as well as he is at this stage of his recovery process is a feat) 

Edited by Dr. Dan

This guy is criminally undervalued.

Was looking at trade value charts today and I just don't understand how you could give AA a similar score as say, D. Henry. 

He's being valued as a what the heck flex kind of guy despite getting 15-20 touches a game in a good offense (that plays on turf). His upside, if he starts getting goal line carries and eats into Riddick's catches is RB1 territory.

Full practice Thursday

Ameer Abdullah (ankle) was upgraded to "full" in Thursday's practice.

He's officially on track to start against the Panthers. Finally biting into Theo Riddick's passing-game usage, Abdullah is strengthening his RB2 case. Oct 5 - 4:30

Edited by Fantasy Bum

30 minutes ago, kyoun1e said:

This guy is criminally undervalued.

Was looking at trade value charts today and I just don't understand how you could give AA a similar score as say, D. Henry. 

He's being valued as a what the heck flex kind of guy despite getting 15-20 touches a game in a good offense (that plays on turf). His upside, if he starts getting goal line carries and eats into Riddick's catches is RB1 territory.

I think this is a consequence of D. Henry being extremely overhyped by rankers, rather than AA being undervalued.  I keep hearing from "experts" how Henry is the next three-down feature back...

3 hours ago, Football Jones said:

If you're a smaller RB in today's NFL, I believe you need specific high end traits to be a feature back. I don't believe Abdullah is extraordinary at making people miss. His long speed is less than ideal & he's not overly physical. That said, most of the negatives I have against Abdullah are subjective & we could go back & forth all day long, but I've been very successful using this approach with smaller RBs. 

I'll change my opinion of a player in a heartbeat if I think it's warranted. Abdullah has looked good at times, but he's not shown the overall qualities that will make him a likely longterm feature back, IMO.

The Vikings beg to differ.

So some of us are expecting a big day from AA as he's being used more consistently and coming off his best game of his career (96 yds rushing) last week.

For those of you that missed the DET game yesterday ... let me recap.

DET gets first possession to start the game.

1st play of the game ... hand off, AA, off right guard for 16. SIXTEEN on 1st down.

So I'm like "heck ya, here we GO"!

Next seven plays are shotgun pass. SHOTGUN. Not even a threat to run.

Drive ends in a FG. 1 run / 7 pass.

Later, Riddick catches a TD. Zenner runs one in from the 5. "No soup for you AA" :wall:

The rest of AA's 9 carries net 15 yards.  That's 1.6 yds per attempt. :loco:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bossman said:

So some of us are expecting a big day from AA as he's being used more consistently and coming off his best game of his career (96 yds rushing) last week.

1st play of the game ... hand off, AA, off right guard for 16. SIXTEEN on 1st down.

Saw the same, thought the same. Was brutal.

17 minutes ago, Bossman said:

Later, Riddick catches a TD. Zenner runs one in from the 5. "No soup for you AA" :wall:

I do not understand the Lions. 

Just now, DocHolliday said:

I do not understand the Lions. 

Someone in the game thread (Lions fan?) mentioned they had no problem with the play calling that drive because they are usually so predictable.

I'm thinking "are you daft?"  Most teams would at least play action pass after gashing a team for 16 on the first play of the game.

Nope, let's go shotgun so they know what's coming.

6 minutes ago, Bossman said:

Someone in the game thread (Lions fan?) mentioned they had no problem with the play calling that drive because they are usually so predictable.

I'm thinking "are you daft?"  Most teams would at least play action pass after gashing a team for 16 on the first play of the game.

Nope, let's go shotgun so they know what's coming.

Most teams would also run the ball again in the next few plays after that success on the ground as well. 

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 10:01 AM, Bossman said:

Yes, that's on the OC. Not the QB, not the HC, but the OC.

On 10/9/2017 at 9:01 AM, Bossman said:

The Zenner TD hurt. But FWIW, Riddick did not catch a TD. Fells got both of them. However, Riddick did outsnap him 30-22 for some reason... That reason of course being Caldwell or JBC really wanting to adhere to predetermined roles no matter the talent discrepancy. 

On 10/9/2017 at 10:01 AM, Bossman said:

The TD didn't bother me as much as completely ignoring AA after that opening 16 yard run, which was an excellent run...not just one of those easy 'seas parted' efforts.

What that indicated is that while AA's workload increases have been a welcome development for his FF value, he's still seen as a compliment in that offense vs building block.  And I think that's the frustrating part...because for all of Staffords 4th quarter heroics, he rarely takes over games anymore (if he ever did).  So the Lions are always in these dogfights, finding ways to win...and IMO, there are times when I feel like if they ride AA, they could really establish their ground attack as a weapon.

4 hours ago, TheDirtyWord said:

The TD didn't bother me as much as completely ignoring AA after that opening 16 yard run, which was an excellent run...not just one of those easy 'seas parted' efforts.

What that indicated is that while AA's workload increases have been a welcome development for his FF value, he's still seen as a compliment in that offense vs building block.  And I think that's the frustrating part...because for all of Staffords 4th quarter heroics, he rarely takes over games anymore (if he ever did).  So the Lions are always in these dogfights, finding ways to win...and IMO, there are times when I feel like if they ride AA, they could really establish their ground attack as a weapon.

I agree.

Maybe they are just so used to not having a reliable running game that it is more of an afterthought?

Carolina does have those really good defensive tackles, so part of it may have just been the game plan for that match up, but they really haven't established the run to set up the pass for years.

Works well for a lot of other teams, they should try it some time just to keep the defense guessing.

I see the same thing. I think the staff is still figuring out how to use AA. I know this sounds strange but consider they didn't have him for 15 games LY. I don't think he will ever be a RB#! but if they figure out how to use him correctly I am still holding out hope for RB#2 numbers.

Honest question: Does he have more value than, say, Alex Collins ROS?

Seems to me they are used in a similar fashion and Collins is far more explosive.

Much as I like Ameer and think he should be getting more opportunities he seems to be primarily a "between the 20s, rushing only" back.  And he really isn't impressing with his 3.8 YPC and 6.8 YPR.

When is Decker supposed to come back? Do we think that will have a big impact?  I don't think I would drop him outright but I am considering trying to dish him for someone like Amari Cooper.

2 minutes ago, Chaka said:

Honest question: Does he have more value than, say, Alex Collins ROS?

Seems to me they are used in a similar fashion and Collins is far more explosive.

Much as I like Ameer and think he should be getting more opportunities he seems to be primarily a "between the 20s, rushing only" back.  And he really isn't impressing with his 3.8 YPC and 6.8 YPR.

When is Decker supposed to come back? Do we think that will have a big impact?  I don't think I would drop him outright but I am considering trying to dish him for someone like Amari Cooper.

No one knows

Best guess is November ??

Could have come off PUP Monday but they only had one light practice this week. He’s working out pretty hard & range of motion seems fine, but he won’t do interviews & the Lions never discuss injury status.

I’m thinking he goes active on the 23rd, which starts the three week window. When he gets back on the field they’ll go from worst LT in the NFL to a guy who is top 10 & the potential to be a Pro Bowler soon. More alarming to me is TJ Lang on the other side. Back injuries are tough to gauge. 

Collins is in the wrong end of a time share, though trending up. While AA isn’t used as much as we’d like, it’s still more than 2 targets, 0 receptions. 10th in rushing attempts (Collins is 30th.) Please.

I think it gets better but what’s going on ATM is why I avoided him. He gets hit on the backfield way too much due to poor line play, and Cooter is incredibly unsophisticated & predictable on his play calling this year.

I knew exactly what was going to happen last week. Mostly everyone was touting the match-up as great for AA but I looked at what RBs did vs. NO when NO was winning (against CAR and MIA) and I knew that AA was unstartable. With the way NO's defense had been playing as of late, I was convinced that DET would lose and after reading that Armstead and Peat were in and that Lang was out it made my decision all the more easier. The way DET uses AA is too predictable and the only time he's going to return even slight value is when DET is ahead.

The problem is, even when DET is ahead and AA is utilized it's not worth much. Even when DET is behind and Riddick is utilized it's not worth much. Owning pieces of this backfield is like owning Baltic and Mediterranean Ave in monopoly but with almost zero upside. It's like owning them without the ability to build houses or hotels. 

3 minutes ago, BobbyLayne said:

No one knows

Best guess is November ??

Could have come off PUP Monday but they only had one light practice this week. He’s working out pretty hard & range of motion seems fine, but he won’t do interviews & the Lions never discuss injury status.

I’m thinking he goes active on the 23rd, which starts the three week window. When he gets back on the field they’ll go from worst LT in the NFL to a guy who is top 10 & the potential to be a Pro Bowler soon. More alarming to me is TJ Lang on the other side. Back injuries are tough to gauge. 

Collins is in the wrong end of a time share, though trending up. While AA isn’t used as much as we’d like, it’s still more than 2 targets, 0 receptions. 10th in rushing attempts (Collins is 30th.) Please.

I think it gets better but what’s going on ATM is why I avoided him. He gets hit on the backfield way too much due to poor line play, and Cooter is incredibly unsophisticated & predictable on his play calling this year.

They both seem to be on the wrong end of a time share and their roles seem pretty similar.  Having to wait another month for Abdullah to have the benefit of Decker, who will play at an unknown level, and the fact that Abdullah hasn't been able to get rolling while Collins has looked amazing behind a pretty awful offensive line himself.  Collins has 7 fewer rushing yards on 38 fewer attempts, he has been with the team for barely six weeks.  His snap counts have gone from 12%>17%>25%>24%>30% and his utilization has gone from 7>9>11>12>15.  Ameer is still seeing more snaps and utilization but his trend line is static (51%>45%>41%>47%>36%>46% with 19>17>17>24>11>16 utilization).

Collins is doing more with less and his role is increasing.  Abdullah is doing what he does and every week looks pretty much the same.

Do we have any reason to think that Ameer will perform at a higher level after the bye than he did before the bye? Is it worth waiting a month, hopefully at most, for Decker and hoping he provides a big enough difference for Ameer's production?

My point isn't that I am going to outright drop Ameer for Collins, although after looking it over I could make that argument, but I am debating if I should try to ship Ameer+1 for whatever I can get and backfill my RB corps with Collins.

3 minutes ago, SameSongNDance said:

I knew exactly what was going to happen last week. Mostly everyone was touting the match-up as great for AA but I looked at what RBs did vs. NO when NO was winning (against CAR and MIA) and I knew that AA was unstartable.

Well thanks for sharing that before hand, guy.

;)

Basically I feel like every week I hold him I drop guys that shouldn't be more valuable than he is...but really are.  But I keep holding...

For some reason Rob Kelley was dropped in one of my standard leagues. Debating dropping Abdullah for him and keeping Collins. I like Collins upside more than Abdullahs.

Edited by Weebs210

20 minutes ago, C-Bound said:

Basically I feel like every week I hold him I drop guys that shouldn't be more valuable than he is...but really are.  But I keep holding...

Yup.

He's the guy you can't drop, but you can't play either.

He's my #4 RB in two leagues and I hope to trade him as soon as he gets another up game.

• Like 1