What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Ameer Abdullah - The Bandwagon (2 Viewers)

Just curious, what traits are you looking for? He's got:

• Ability to make people miss
  • Extremely high yards after contact
  • Very good pass catching skills
  • A ridiculous SPARQ score
  • A current feature back job
If you're a smaller RB in today's NFL, I believe you need specific high end traits to be a feature back. I don't believe Abdullah is extraordinary at making people miss. His long speed is less than ideal & he's not overly physical. That said, most of the negatives I have against Abdullah are subjective & we could go back & forth all day long, but I've been very successful using this approach with smaller RBs. 

I'll change my opinion of a player in a heartbeat if I think it's warranted. Abdullah has looked good at times, but he's not shown the overall qualities that will make him a likely longterm feature back, IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was limited yesterday in practice so no. Ankle officially.
No I mean the foot fracture from last year. It might be a silly question but I'm not a doctor.

I was watching cut ups of AA pre-fracture and comparing them to AA vs. NYG in the open field and they didn't look like the same player to me - not even remotely similar. Maybe it was the field? But last week vs. MIN looked more like the lateral agility freak that I remembered. Maybe it's a mental thing? I don't know.

No I mean the foot fracture from last year. It might be a silly question but I'm not a doctor.

I was watching cut ups of AA pre-fracture and comparing them to AA vs. NYG in the open field and they didn't look like the same player to me - not even remotely similar. Maybe it was the field? But last week vs. MIN looked more like the lateral agility freak that I remembered. Maybe it's a mental thing? I don't know.
I seen it too. I complained about his timing earlier in the year. He looked like he didn't trust the read he had on this blocks or completely trust his foot.

It didn't look that way at all against the Vikings. He looked decisive, nimble and patient. 

Now whether that was his foot, lack of confidence, better preparation, or just a fluke I am not sure. 

You know what it reminded me of was Leveon Bell after his foot injury his rookie year. He looked slow, plodding and nervous out there, but then I remember seeing him the 1st week of his 2nd season and I was wowwed, it didn't look like the same running back. 

Well, the injury itself should be healed. If it wasn't he wouldn't be playing and we'd likely know; he'd have pain and have issues.

As far as the rehab from this... I don't think so. This usually takes a long time to recover from for someone at this level of physical fitness/competition. Honestly, I wouldn't expect AA to be fully recovered until 12-18 months after injury. If he looks slow, he likely is. He is going to lose some speed, agility, etc. 

Not true for all, I understand... Gio Benard is like 8 months removed from his ACL surgery and he is reportedly faster (timed) than he was last year, crazy. Guy worked hard, that's all I can say. (not saying AA didn't... to be doing as well as he is at this stage of his recovery process is a feat) 

This guy is criminally undervalued.

Was looking at trade value charts today and I just don't understand how you could give AA a similar score as say, D. Henry. 

He's being valued as a what the heck flex kind of guy despite getting 15-20 touches a game in a good offense (that plays on turf). His upside, if he starts getting goal line carries and eats into Riddick's catches is RB1 territory.

This guy is criminally undervalued.

Was looking at trade value charts today and I just don't understand how you could give AA a similar score as say, D. Henry. 

He's being valued as a what the heck flex kind of guy despite getting 15-20 touches a game in a good offense (that plays on turf). His upside, if he starts getting goal line carries and eats into Riddick's catches is RB1 territory.
I think this is a consequence of D. Henry being extremely overhyped by rankers, rather than AA being undervalued.  I keep hearing from "experts" how Henry is the next three-down feature back...

If you're a smaller RB in today's NFL, I believe you need specific high end traits to be a feature back. I don't believe Abdullah is extraordinary at making people miss. His long speed is less than ideal & he's not overly physical. That said, most of the negatives I have against Abdullah are subjective & we could go back & forth all day long, but I've been very successful using this approach with smaller RBs. 

I'll change my opinion of a player in a heartbeat if I think it's warranted. Abdullah has looked good at times, but he's not shown the overall qualities that will make him a likely longterm feature back, IMO.
The Vikings beg to differ.

So some of us are expecting a big day from AA as he's being used more consistently and coming off his best game of his career (96 yds rushing) last week.

For those of you that missed the DET game yesterday ... let me recap.

DET gets first possession to start the game.

1st play of the game ... hand off, AA, off right guard for 16. SIXTEEN on 1st down.

So I'm like "heck ya, here we GO"!

Next seven plays are shotgun pass. SHOTGUN. Not even a threat to run.

Drive ends in a FG. 1 run / 7 pass.

Later, Riddick catches a TD. Zenner runs one in from the 5. "No soup for you AA"  :wall:

The rest of AA's 9 carries net 15 yards.  That's 1.6 yds per attempt.  :loco:

So some of us are expecting a big day from AA as he's being used more consistently and coming off his best game of his career (96 yds rushing) last week.

1st play of the game ... hand off, AA, off right guard for 16. SIXTEEN on 1st down.

Saw the same, thought the same. Was brutal.

Later, Riddick catches a TD. Zenner runs one in from the 5. "No soup for you AA"  :wall:

I do not understand the Lions. 

I do not understand the Lions. 
Someone in the game thread (Lions fan?) mentioned they had no problem with the play calling that drive because they are usually so predictable.

I'm thinking "are you daft?"  Most teams would at least play action pass after gashing a team for 16 on the first play of the game.

Nope, let's go shotgun so they know what's coming.

Someone in the game thread (Lions fan?) mentioned they had no problem with the play calling that drive because they are usually so predictable.

I'm thinking "are you daft?"  Most teams would at least play action pass after gashing a team for 16 on the first play of the game.

Nope, let's go shotgun so they know what's coming.
Most teams would also run the ball again in the next few plays after that success on the ground as well. 

Yes, that's on the OC. Not the QB, not the HC, but the OC.

The Zenner TD hurt. But FWIW, Riddick did not catch a TD. Fells got both of them. However, Riddick did outsnap him 30-22 for some reason... That reason of course being Caldwell or JBC really wanting to adhere to predetermined roles no matter the talent discrepancy. 

The TD didn't bother me as much as completely ignoring AA after that opening 16 yard run, which was an excellent run...not just one of those easy 'seas parted' efforts.

What that indicated is that while AA's workload increases have been a welcome development for his FF value, he's still seen as a compliment in that offense vs building block.  And I think that's the frustrating part...because for all of Staffords 4th quarter heroics, he rarely takes over games anymore (if he ever did).  So the Lions are always in these dogfights, finding ways to win...and IMO, there are times when I feel like if they ride AA, they could really establish their ground attack as a weapon.

TheDirtyWord said:
The TD didn't bother me as much as completely ignoring AA after that opening 16 yard run, which was an excellent run...not just one of those easy 'seas parted' efforts.

What that indicated is that while AA's workload increases have been a welcome development for his FF value, he's still seen as a compliment in that offense vs building block.  And I think that's the frustrating part...because for all of Staffords 4th quarter heroics, he rarely takes over games anymore (if he ever did).  So the Lions are always in these dogfights, finding ways to win...and IMO, there are times when I feel like if they ride AA, they could really establish their ground attack as a weapon.
I agree.

Maybe they are just so used to not having a reliable running game that it is more of an afterthought?

Carolina does have those really good defensive tackles, so part of it may have just been the game plan for that match up, but they really haven't established the run to set up the pass for years.

Works well for a lot of other teams, they should try it some time just to keep the defense guessing.

I see the same thing. I think the staff is still figuring out how to use AA. I know this sounds strange but consider they didn't have him for 15 games LY. I don't think he will ever be a RB#! but if they figure out how to use him correctly I am still holding out hope for RB#2 numbers.

Honest question: Does he have more value than, say, Alex Collins ROS?

Seems to me they are used in a similar fashion and Collins is far more explosive.

Much as I like Ameer and think he should be getting more opportunities he seems to be primarily a "between the 20s, rushing only" back.  And he really isn't impressing with his 3.8 YPC and 6.8 YPR.

When is Decker supposed to come back? Do we think that will have a big impact?  I don't think I would drop him outright but I am considering trying to dish him for someone like Amari Cooper.

Seems to me they are used in a similar fashion and Collins is far more explosive.

Much as I like Ameer and think he should be getting more opportunities he seems to be primarily a "between the 20s, rushing only" back.  And he really isn't impressing with his 3.8 YPC and 6.8 YPR.

When is Decker supposed to come back? Do we think that will have a big impact?  I don't think I would drop him outright but I am considering trying to dish him for someone like Amari Cooper.
No one knows

Best guess is November ??

Could have come off PUP Monday but they only had one light practice this week. He’s working out pretty hard & range of motion seems fine, but he won’t do interviews & the Lions never discuss injury status.

I’m thinking he goes active on the 23rd, which starts the three week window. When he gets back on the field they’ll go from worst LT in the NFL to a guy who is top 10 & the potential to be a Pro Bowler soon. More alarming to me is TJ Lang on the other side. Back injuries are tough to gauge. 

Collins is in the wrong end of a time share, though trending up. While AA isn’t used as much as we’d like, it’s still more than 2 targets, 0 receptions. 10th in rushing attempts (Collins is 30th.) Please.

I think it gets better but what’s going on ATM is why I avoided him. He gets hit on the backfield way too much due to poor line play, and Cooter is incredibly unsophisticated & predictable on his play calling this year.

I knew exactly what was going to happen last week. Mostly everyone was touting the match-up as great for AA but I looked at what RBs did vs. NO when NO was winning (against CAR and MIA) and I knew that AA was unstartable. With the way NO's defense had been playing as of late, I was convinced that DET would lose and after reading that Armstead and Peat were in and that Lang was out it made my decision all the more easier. The way DET uses AA is too predictable and the only time he's going to return even slight value is when DET is ahead.

The problem is, even when DET is ahead and AA is utilized it's not worth much. Even when DET is behind and Riddick is utilized it's not worth much. Owning pieces of this backfield is like owning Baltic and Mediterranean Ave in monopoly but with almost zero upside. It's like owning them without the ability to build houses or hotels. 

No one knows

Best guess is November ??

Could have come off PUP Monday but they only had one light practice this week. He’s working out pretty hard & range of motion seems fine, but he won’t do interviews & the Lions never discuss injury status.

I’m thinking he goes active on the 23rd, which starts the three week window. When he gets back on the field they’ll go from worst LT in the NFL to a guy who is top 10 & the potential to be a Pro Bowler soon. More alarming to me is TJ Lang on the other side. Back injuries are tough to gauge. 

Collins is in the wrong end of a time share, though trending up. While AA isn’t used as much as we’d like, it’s still more than 2 targets, 0 receptions. 10th in rushing attempts (Collins is 30th.) Please.

I think it gets better but what’s going on ATM is why I avoided him. He gets hit on the backfield way too much due to poor line play, and Cooter is incredibly unsophisticated & predictable on his play calling this year.
They both seem to be on the wrong end of a time share and their roles seem pretty similar.  Having to wait another month for Abdullah to have the benefit of Decker, who will play at an unknown level, and the fact that Abdullah hasn't been able to get rolling while Collins has looked amazing behind a pretty awful offensive line himself.  Collins has 7 fewer rushing yards on 38 fewer attempts, he has been with the team for barely six weeks.  His snap counts have gone from 12%>17%>25%>24%>30% and his utilization has gone from 7>9>11>12>15.  Ameer is still seeing more snaps and utilization but his trend line is static (51%>45%>41%>47%>36%>46% with 19>17>17>24>11>16 utilization).

Collins is doing more with less and his role is increasing.  Abdullah is doing what he does and every week looks pretty much the same.

Do we have any reason to think that Ameer will perform at a higher level after the bye than he did before the bye? Is it worth waiting a month, hopefully at most, for Decker and hoping he provides a big enough difference for Ameer's production?

My point isn't that I am going to outright drop Ameer for Collins, although after looking it over I could make that argument, but I am debating if I should try to ship Ameer+1 for whatever I can get and backfill my RB corps with Collins.

I knew exactly what was going to happen last week. Mostly everyone was touting the match-up as great for AA but I looked at what RBs did vs. NO when NO was winning (against CAR and MIA) and I knew that AA was unstartable.
Well thanks for sharing that before hand, guy.

;)

Basically I feel like every week I hold him I drop guys that shouldn't be more valuable than he is...but really are.  But I keep holding...

For some reason Rob Kelley was dropped in one of my standard leagues. Debating dropping Abdullah for him and keeping Collins. I like Collins upside more than Abdullahs.

Basically I feel like every week I hold him I drop guys that shouldn't be more valuable than he is...but really are.  But I keep holding...
Yup.

He's the guy you can't drop, but you can't play either.

He's my #4 RB in two leagues and I hope to trade him as soon as he gets another up game.

For some reason Rob Kelley was dropped in one of my standard leagues. Debating dropping Abdullah for him and keeping Collins. I like Collins upside more than Abdullahs.
I don't see how you can hope to rely on any RB in Washington other than Thompson.  That is a team designed to pass the ball.

I don't see how you can hope to rely on any RB in Washington other than Thompson.  That is a team designed to pass the ball.
I'm beyond stacked in that league so I wouldn't have to rely on any of the 3 I listed. They are not necessarily designed to pass though. It's just that their between the tackle runner has been dealing with injuries all year. Perine is pretty bad and Kelley has looked good this year on his touches.

I'm beyond stacked in that league so I wouldn't have to rely on any of the 3 I listed. They are not necessarily designed to pass though. It's just that their between the tackle runner has been dealing with injuries all year. Perine is pretty bad and Kelley has looked good this year on his touches.
I am not sure I can definitively agree that Kelley has looked good.  10-30-0, 12-73-0, 7-23-0. Zero receptions on two targets.  I believe the Rams (Kelley's good game) are giving up the most points to RBs this season.

Ameer is getting way more opportunities and seems like both the safer and higher upside play compared to Kelley (IMO, of course).

This is a good question and one that I have pondered as well.  I already own Buck Allen and want no more of the Ravens backfield.  My problems with Collins is lack of receptions and an even muddier backfield once Woodhead comes back.  Not sure when that happens or if it will matter much but it may make Collins and Buck totally unplayable until Woodhead is injured and out again. 

As stated in the other thread, I would trade AA for Cooper.  Cooper and the Raiders O are a mess but there is a chance Cooper starts catching passes again.  I do not see AA's role changing.  Ever. 

This is a good question and one that I have pondered as well.  I already own Buck Allen and want no more of the Ravens backfield.  My problems with Collins is lack of receptions and an even muddier backfield once Woodhead comes back.  Not sure when that happens or if it will matter much but it may make Collins and Buck totally unplayable until Woodhead is injured and out again. 

As stated in the other thread, I would trade AA for Cooper.  Cooper and the Raiders O are a mess but there is a chance Cooper starts catching passes again.  I do not see AA's role changing.  Ever. 
Yeah I have been all over the map in the Collins thread. Tons of uncertainty with Woodhead and West coming back, plus he isn't getting goal line love. But he is so much more productive than every other back in Baltimore that you have to think his role will continue to increase (with the perpetual caveat of "If he doesn't fumble again" which is a legit concern with him).

I don't like the uncertainty with Collins but, as you pointed out, I think we have seen what we are going to get with Ameer.  I think he does have a legitimate shot of improving his efficiency when Decker comes back but it is still unclear when that will be, so how long should one hold him and wait for that?

Yeah I have been all over the map in the Collins thread. Tons of uncertainty with Woodhead and West coming back, plus he isn't getting goal line love. But he is so much more productive than every other back in Baltimore that you have to think his role will continue to increase (with the perpetual caveat of "If he doesn't fumble again" which is a legit concern with him).

I don't like the uncertainty with Collins but, as you pointed out, I think we have seen what we are going to get with Ameer.  I think he does have a legitimate shot of improving his efficiency when Decker comes back but it is still unclear when that will be, so how long should one hold him and wait for that?
Collins does look explosive and decisive running the ball.  If he got 15 carries/week, he is an instant upgrade over AA.  Did I mention that I hate the Lions O and play calling yet?

The main game I have seen of Ameer this year was against the Vikings where he was very impressive. No other RB has performed better than Ameer against them so far this year, not Jordan Howard, not Mark Ingram and not even LeVion Bell.

That was Ameers best game this year though and the Lions have fallen off it seems since then. I did watch the first half of the Lions game against Carolina and when the Lions got behind they seemed to play Riddick more. Based on what I had seen the previous week, I thought Ameer had earned the right to be relied on more than Riddick, but that did not seem to be the case vs Carolina.

He is RB 26 in PPR leagues right now but the Lions are not getting him the ball enough.

After the Vikings game I kind of thought Ameer had turned the page and was going to break out this year, but its been downhill from there.

The main game I have seen of Ameer this year was against the Vikings where he was very impressive. No other RB has performed better than Ameer against them so far this year, not Jordan Howard, not Mark Ingram and not even LeVion Bell.

That was Ameers best game this year though and the Lions have fallen off it seems since then. I did watch the first half of the Lions game against Carolina and when the Lions got behind they seemed to play Riddick more. Based on what I had seen the previous week, I thought Ameer had earned the right to be relied on more than Riddick, but that did not seem to be the case vs Carolina.

He is RB 26 in PPR leagues right now but the Lions are not getting him the ball enough.

After the Vikings game I kind of thought Ameer had turned the page and was going to break out this year, but its been downhill from there.
Combination of VERY predictable play calling & bad line play due to tons of injuries - they finished the Saints game with 4 O-lineman, including 2 guys who had been on the street two weeks earlier. Wagner was injured but gritted it out playing injured because there was literally no other bodies left.

It’s gonna get better IMO. Up/down league, they’ll get a little healthier, get Decker back, and turn it around.

[fingerscrossedfordynasty]

Jim Bob Cooter is hired in the off-season to become UofTennessee's next head coach.

[/fingerscrossedfordynasty]

Any hope for this guy going forward?  14 touches, 38 yards, Washington was the short yardage guy.

3.7 YPC on the season and 6.1 YPR.

Is Decker really going to make much of a difference?  I wouldn't drop him but I can't see how he is going to be startable RoS either.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Riddick used more going forward. He seemed to provide more of a spark than Abdullah on his (Riddick's) one drive, but that was it for him last night.

Any hope for this guy going forward?  14 touches, 38 yards, Washington was the short yardage guy.

3.7 YPC on the season and 6.1 YPR.

Is Decker really going to make much of a difference?  I wouldn't drop him but I can't see how he is going to be startable RoS either.
He's good. But the blocking and play calling have not been good. The Lions have a pretty easy schedule going forward, so at least he (likely) won't be phased out by game script. After Washington repeatedly $h@t the bed last night at the goal line, maybe they'll give Abdullah a chance at some goal line carries.

@GB

Cle

@Chi

Min

@Bal

@TB

Chi

@Cin

GB

He's good. But the blocking and play calling have not been good. The Lions have a pretty easy schedule going forward, so at least he (likely) won't be phased out by game script. After Washington repeatedly $h@t the bed last night at the goal line, maybe they'll give Abdullah a chance at some goal line carries.

@GB

Cle

@Chi

Min

@Bal

@TB

Chi

@Cin

GB
Yeah, but are you starting him anytime soon?

And that schedule is not pretty easy, couple nice matchups on paper (GB, Balt both on the road) couple top 6 defenses (Cle, Min at home) and a the rest are average.  And that's all on paper so what does it really mean?

I'm at my wits end with this guy

Frustrating because none of my RBs have panned out this year... Ajayi, Crowell, Abdullah... I waived Lacy.  Aaron Jones panned out too early for me to grab him after byes. 

Luckily Alex Collins looks better, so maybe he can fill in for me, but I need something to turn around fast. It's still early in the season and I'm holding onto hope for Ajayi, and maybe Crowell finally gets on a roll, but it won't be Abdullah. Likely the last year I buy into this guy. He's just not getting the opportunities he needs to be fantasy relevant. I'll keep him on my roster unless he puts up several single digit games... just no one on my WW worth stashing at this point ahead of Abdullah

Users who are viewing this thread