Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
EBF

Official Ameer Abdullah - The Bandwagon

Recommended Posts

No comments after last week?

All the woe-is-me talk in here and people selling after his disasterous performance against GB (2 GL fumbles). Yet he still got the GL carries over Washington and Riddick last week

I think we could actually have something now. Abdullah seems to be a RB2 at this point as long as he keeps getting these goal line carries. Surprised not more excitement over last week's usage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Dr. Dan said:

No comments after last week?

All the woe-is-me talk in here and people selling after his disasterous performance against GB (2 GL fumbles). Yet he still got the GL carries over Washington and Riddick last week

I think we could actually have something now. Abdullah seems to be a RB2 at this point as long as he keeps getting these goal line carries. Surprised not more excitement over last week's usage. 

Because there’s more talk about players who aren’t playing than ones who actually are.

Gordon, Zeke, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dr. Dan said:

No comments after last week?

All the woe-is-me talk in here and people selling after his disasterous performance against GB (2 GL fumbles). Yet he still got the GL carries over Washington and Riddick last week

I think we could actually have something now. Abdullah seems to be a RB2 at this point as long as he keeps getting these goal line carries. Surprised not more excitement over last week's usage. 

I'm obviously pro-AA but, in an attempt to be unbiased, I feel obligated to point out that there actually were no goal line carries in this game. I'm browsing the play-by-play and it appears there were only four red zone plays utilizing a running back. Abduallah got three of them. A carry from the 19, a carry from the 8 (touchdown:pickle:) and his lone :censored: target of the game was from the 11. Theo Riddick caught a TD from the 8 yard line (on 2nd and 7 right after Abdullah's 3 yard reception - I wasn't happy they pulled Abdullah on 2nd down and was even less happy with the result). I believe the general consensus is that anything inside the 5 is a goal line carry, but if they're giving Abdullah carries in the red zone, one would have to think he'd get carries inside the 5 if there were any, so I agree week 11 was very positive on that front for Abdullah.

Additionally, he played the highest percentage of snaps (60%) of the season (previous high was 51% - week 1). Dwayne Washington only played 8% (4 snaps) and recorded zero carries and one target. Not sure what's up with that. Google says it was due to a hip injury (yet his reception came in the 4th quarter so I'm confused). Either way, it's possible Abdullah's workload could slip back this week. If Washington can't go, I'm sure they'll activate Zenner. 

Looking ahead, week 12 vs. Minnesota is his only bad matchup, but his best game of the year came against Minnesota on the road. Anyone planning to start him? Somehow I find myself with a plethora of RB options in the leagues in which I've got Abdullah.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, FF Ninja said:

I'm obviously pro-AA but, in an attempt to be unbiased, I feel obligated to point out that there actually were no goal line carries in this game. I'm browsing the play-by-play and it appears there were only four red zone plays utilizing a running back. Abduallah got three of them. A carry from the 19, a carry from the 8 (touchdown:pickle:) and his lone :censored: target of the game was from the 11. Theo Riddick caught a TD from the 8 yard line (on 2nd and 7 right after Abdullah's 3 yard reception - I wasn't happy they pulled Abdullah on 2nd down and was even less happy with the result). I believe the general consensus is that anything inside the 5 is a goal line carry, but if they're giving Abdullah carries in the red zone, one would have to think he'd get carries inside the 5 if there were any, so I agree week 11 was very positive on that front for Abdullah.

Additionally, he played the highest percentage of snaps (60%) of the season (previous high was 51% - week 1). Dwayne Washington only played 8% (4 snaps) and recorded zero carries and one target. Not sure what's up with that. Google says it was due to a hip injury (yet his reception came in the 4th quarter so I'm confused). Either way, it's possible Abdullah's workload could slip back this week. If Washington can't go, I'm sure they'll activate Zenner. 

Looking ahead, week 12 vs. Minnesota is his only bad matchup, but his best game of the year came against Minnesota on the road. Anyone planning to start him? Somehow I find myself with a plethora of RB options in the leagues in which I've got Abdullah.

I guess I consider "Down and Goal" a goal line carry. 8 yards from the end zone is goal line in my mind, but maybe that's not the true definition. Red Zone might be better? 


I might be starting AA ROS as RB2. If he gets GL carries I have to. My other options are Crowell (who looks like he's back), Collins (kind of the same category as AA), Cohen (puke, probably dropping for DeDe this week), or Perine (another puke but thinking maybe I can catch lightning in a bottle). Ajayi is my RB1. Yuck, I know, but looking positive at least going forward, maybe? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dr. Dan said:

I might be starting AA ROS as RB2. If he gets GL carries I have to. My other options are Crowell (who looks like he's back), Collins (kind of the same category as AA), Cohen (puke, probably dropping for DeDe this week), or Perine (another puke but thinking maybe I can catch lightning in a bottle). Ajayi is my RB1. Yuck, I know, but looking positive at least going forward, maybe? 

Through various leagues I've got some of those options, too. Not to thread hijack, but how is Crowell coming on strong AFTER Joe Thomas gets hurt and while playing against good defenses? He's been on my bench(es) for his good games. :rant:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JoeSteeler said:

So glad I benched him for Doug Martin at the last minute

Your enjoyment may be short lived.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chaka said:

Your enjoyment may be short lived.

Definitely a possibility!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking Sunday, Lions coach Jim Caldwell declined to call Ameer Abdullah his starting running back.

Evidently cleared from his neck injury, Abdullah was inactive for Sunday's win over the Bucs. Caldwell was fuzzy on Abdullah's status going forward. It's a deserved benching, though Abdullah is certainly one of the Lions' 46 best players. He should return to a rotation with Theo Riddick, Tion Green and perhaps Zach Zenner. Abdullah's re-draft value is shot.

Source: Detroit Free Press

Dec 11 - 3:29 PM

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ffweasel said:

If he’s still with the team this season, he’s going to be even more frustrated. Is his average performance due to the Lions o-line or is it just him? 

I think if it was just the o-line Kerryon Johnson wouldn't have been drafted and Blount signed. Tion Green, who is JAG who outperformed Ameer has been cut, . To his credit, Zenner and Washington didn't look much better, although admittedly that isn't saying much.

Edited by squistion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Detroit gave him more than 1 opportunity to take that job and he did not do it...he is not a #1 RB...the best bet for him is to become a high-quality third down back...I think there is a chance for him to have success in that type of role...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still think he's got NFL ability, but he really should be a receiving back, not a main guy. Definitely over-estimated how he'd translate to the NFL. I still think he could be successful as a fantasy back if he had a bigger role, but we will likely never see that. With the new regime clearly not showing any interest in him, I hope they cut him so he can get his last shot somewhere else. If I didn't already own him everywhere, I might send a 3rd or 4th rounder to grab him on the chance he ends up in a good situation, but as an owner, I'll probably just ride him until he's out of the league (which may not be much longer).

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Without question my biggest disappointment last season. His rookie year was fine and he showed flashes in year two before the injury, but last year it just collapsed completely. I don't think you can completely blame the situation, even if it was a factor. I now look at Abdullah as nothing more than a scrap heap lottery ticket who will probably need a new team in order to find a new lease on life.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No offense to Faust but Ameer can shine all he wants in the preseason. He was just never that good. Arizona was devastated when they missed out on AA in the draft and they had to settle for some RB named David Johnson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Milkman said:

No offense to Faust but Ameer can shine all he wants in the preseason. He was just never that good. Arizona was devastated when they missed out on AA in the draft and they had to settle for some RB named David Johnson.

You mention that little factoid in every thread you can. We got it.

Abdullah is a lost hope for 2018 for sure, but let's break down his performances:

  • Rookie year: 4.2 ypc isn't much to write home about except it was significantly higher than his backfield peers, so this indicates poor blocking but good talent
  • 2nd year: looked sharp for 1.5 games but suffered lisfranc
  • 3rd year: halfway through the season he was top 5 in yards after contact, but had a low ypc... people who never liked him will ignore context and point to the ypc to confirm their initial thoughts, while others will see a guy who was constantly having to make plays just to get back to the line of scrimmage

He's buried on the depth chart this year and will likely get overlooked in free agency. His realistic 2019 upside is a Chris Thompson, Duke, or Gio role with whatever team he signs with. Not super enticing... and his downside is even scarier (3rd on the depth chart somewhere). So I'm not advocating for people to trade for him and burn a roster spot for a year, but his play has been better than box score warriors make it out to be.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd love if owners held on to him. Almost any RB in the league has upside just based on the chance they find themselves in a spot where they can get heavy volume.

 

I thought that draft day conversation was hilarious in the Arizona war room. That's why I mentioned it again. There is an ignore option. You are more than welcome to ignore me if my posts annoy you. I'll probably mention it again at some point but it's certainly not with the intentions of upsetting you. I'll use that ignore option as well if I need to. Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Telling someone they are being redundant is like telling someone they've got spinach in their teeth. Not malicious. Block me if you want to. :shrug:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, FF Ninja said:

Telling someone they are being redundant is like telling someone they've got spinach in their teeth. Not malicious. Block me if you want to. :shrug:

Lol that's enough to do it for me. I mean you're trying to talk up AA. That makes me doubt I could benefit that much from your posts anyway. So I don't need to read posts like this just taking shots at me. Cheers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please keep this 100% on Football and drop the back and forth about each other. Full stop. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think he's the odd man out here. My suspicions are that the Lions showcased him a bit and he did well. I think he gets moved. He's a decent complimentary back and someone can use him. With Kerryon looking legit, Blount being the big back, and Riddick clearly the catching back, this seems obvious.

ETA: I didn't even read the Detroit Free Press article above posted by Faust but needless to say, I agree completely. He's a young valuable guy but unless there's an injury, there's no need to keep him.

Edited by Futz
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, joey said:

Trade to Redskins perhaps?

Skins need a between the tackle 15 carry guy. I don't think he's that.

Edited by Futz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, dipandglide said:

What’s his dynasty value if the Skins or another team trade for him?

3rd maybe? Probably even cheaper now, if he goes somewhere like Houston I might like it a lot. Anyplace that needs a 3rd down back and he could have a role, he’s probably worth throwing a 3rd at. But he’s probably super cheap right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MLive's Kyle Meinke believes Ameer Abdullah will make the 53-man roster.

Meinke writes he is "convinced" the final running back spot on the roster is "Abdullah's to lose" after the running back started at both kick and punt returner in the preseason opener. With LeGarrette Blount, Kerryon Johnson, and Theo Riddick locked in atop the depth chart, Abdullah has to make his mark on special teams, and it looks like he is doing just that. Even with his roster spot looking safe, Abdullah is not worth rostering in fantasy leagues.

Source: MLive.com 

Aug 13 - 11:00 AM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd say he's a trade candidate, but not many teams really have a need for a scat back type. Maybe Houston, NYJ, Baltimore, Indy, and Denver could use him. That's a short list and would any of them really give up a draft pick for him? Probably not, for a variety of reasons.

He's pretty much dead to me in FF. He'll most likely play sparingly this season and then sign with somebody else next year. My expectations are nil, but it's possible that a different team will find a better use for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, EBF said:

I'd say he's a trade candidate, but not many teams really have a need for a scat back type. Maybe Houston, NYJ, Baltimore, Indy, and Denver could use him. That's a short list and would any of them really give up a draft pick for him? Probably not, for a variety of reasons.

He's pretty much dead to me in FF. He'll most likely play sparingly this season and then sign with somebody else next year. My expectations are nil, but it's possible that a different team will find a better use for him.

I'm not holding out hope for him being useful in FF, but I think the possibility is certainly there. His hands are good enough that he should at least be able to fill a PPR role (Duke, Riddick, Thompson) if not pull off a Dion Lewis role someday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EBF said:

I'd say he's a trade candidate, but not many teams really have a need for a scat back type. Maybe Houston, NYJ, Baltimore, Indy, and Denver could use him. That's a short list and would any of them really give up a draft pick for him? Probably not, for a variety of reasons.

He's pretty much dead to me in FF. He'll most likely play sparingly this season and then sign with somebody else next year. My expectations are nil, but it's possible that a different team will find a better use for him.

Maybe Dallas once they give up on this Tavon Austin experiment 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not too surprising. There's been speculation that he might be a healthy scratch this year if everyone is healthy. He doesn't really have a role on the team besides returns. I thought I was done with Ameer in dynasty, but I was thinking about it yesterday and I'm intrigued by the prospect of taking flyers now that his price is going to completely bottom out. What would he cost? A 4th round rookie pick? I'm intrigued at that price point because his skill set has some value to teams that can utilize this type of player ala Dion Lewis, Austin Ekeler, James White, and Jerick McKinnon. Everyone is going to say he's crap, but his first two seasons showed promise and I predict that someone is going to sign him in the offseason and give him a chance at some kind of a role. He'd be the best healthy back on the Niners, Packers, Ravens, Colts, Broncos, Bucs, and maybe Raiders right now.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, EBF said:

Not too surprising. There's been speculation that he might be a healthy scratch this year if everyone is healthy. He doesn't really have a role on the team besides returns. I thought I was done with Ameer in dynasty, but I was thinking about it yesterday and I'm intrigued by the prospect of taking flyers now that his price is going to completely bottom out. What would he cost? A 4th round rookie pick? I'm intrigued at that price point because his skill set has some value to teams that can utilize this type of player ala Dion Lewis, Austin Ekeler, James White, and Jerick McKinnon. Everyone is going to say he's crap, but his first two seasons showed promise and I predict that someone is going to sign him in the offseason and give him a chance at some kind of a role. He'd be the best healthy back on the Niners, Packers, Ravens, Colts, Broncos, Bucs, and maybe Raiders right now.

I agree with everything you said, great lottery ticket at a basement price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EBF said:

Not too surprising. There's been speculation that he might be a healthy scratch this year if everyone is healthy. He doesn't really have a role on the team besides returns. I thought I was done with Ameer in dynasty, but I was thinking about it yesterday and I'm intrigued by the prospect of taking flyers now that his price is going to completely bottom out. What would he cost? A 4th round rookie pick? I'm intrigued at that price point because his skill set has some value to teams that can utilize this type of player ala Dion Lewis, Austin Ekeler, James White, and Jerick McKinnon. Everyone is going to say he's crap, but his first two seasons showed promise and I predict that someone is going to sign him in the offseason and give him a chance at some kind of a role. He'd be the best healthy back on the Niners, Packers, Ravens, Colts, Broncos, Bucs, and maybe Raiders right now.

Like Ebron, someone else can have AA. Good luck. Guy is a good KR for what its worth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Things that make you go hmmm....

Detroit's running game in week one:

2.6 YPC

leading rusher = 20 yards

Not saying this completely absolves Abdullah from blame for being terrible last season. It's a new season with a new coach, but it sort of warms the heart of the AA apologist in me to see the replacements performing to similarly abysmal levels. This team doesn't know how to run the ball and hasn't for a long time.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, EBF said:

Not too surprising. There's been speculation that he might be a healthy scratch this year if everyone is healthy. He doesn't really have a role on the team besides returns. I thought I was done with Ameer in dynasty, but I was thinking about it yesterday and I'm intrigued by the prospect of taking flyers now that his price is going to completely bottom out. What would he cost? A 4th round rookie pick? I'm intrigued at that price point because his skill set has some value to teams that can utilize this type of player ala Dion Lewis, Austin Ekeler, James White, and Jerick McKinnon. Everyone is going to say he's crap, but his first two seasons showed promise and I predict that someone is going to sign him in the offseason and give him a chance at some kind of a role. He'd be the best healthy back on the Niners, Packers, Ravens, Colts, Broncos, Bucs, and maybe Raiders right now.

Huh.  All those guys seem quicker/shiftier to me than Ameer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, EBF said:

Things that make you go hmmm....

Detroit's running game in week one:

2.6 YPC

leading rusher = 20 yards

Not saying this completely absolves Abdullah from blame for being terrible last season. It's a new season with a new coach, but it sort of warms the heart of the AA apologist in me to see the replacements performing to similarly abysmal levels. This team doesn't know how to run the ball and hasn't for a long time.

Do you still believe in Abdullah if he were to go to a favorable situation or has the ship sailed? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, dipandglide said:

Do you still believe in Abdullah if he were to go to a favorable situation or has the ship sailed? 

Well, let's say at any given time there are 15 RBs in the NFL who "deserve" to be starting and then maybe another 15-20 useful guys in FF whose relevance depends on a combination of opportunity and reasonably good talent. Abdullah's failure in Detroit suggests he's not a part of group A, but I do think he's good enough to be part of group B on the right team. I listed some names in the earlier post: McKinnon, Ekeler, Lewis, White. These are not special backs. They're decent players who fill a useful FF role.

I don't have access to FBG's staff rankings, but this site has him at RB59. I think he's probably somewhere around the 35th-45th best back in the NFL, so I like that price point, primarily in deep PPR leagues where a third down back type has the most value. That's so cheap that he's basically free. You make a lowball offer now or get him off waivers, stash him for this year, see where he signs in the spring and dump him if nothing comes of it.

I'm not going to pretend like I have all the right answers about FF or like I never back the wrong horse, but here are a couple pertinent stories: I was a pretty big Spencer Ware fan coming out of LSU. I took him with a late round pick in almost all my leagues and owned him almost everywhere. He made the team as a rookie, but barely played. When the Seahawks cut him after his rookie year, I dumped him and moved on. He was absolutely off the map at that point. He sat out football for a year, came back, and eventually had a relevant season with KC.

When Dion Lewis was coming out of Pitt, I was a huge buyer. I got him almost everywhere. Well...he was buried on the depth chart in Philly. Never got a chance there. Kicked around the league for years before emerging as a useful player in New England. People forget this now, but he was actually on the RB-starved Colts for a short time between Philly and NE, and didn't even stick on the roster there. Yet he eventually found a niche. Now he's probably starting for somebody in your league.

My point is that if a guy has some talent, but isn't an elite mega star, sometimes he can take a rocky road and still come out on the other side with some utility. Even high picks like Cedric Benson, Thomas Jones, and Marshawn Lynch were seen as flops at one point. This is NOT to say that Ameer is going to be good or that every bust is really going to turn it around, but you shouldn't necessarily turn your back on every player if he isn't an immediate success.

I wouldn't give up anything valuable to get Abdullah at this point, but I would pay above RB59 value and take a punt in hopes that he finds a new home. He showed potential in Detroit despite the overall poor numbers and would be snapped up pretty quickly if they cut him. As I said, I think he'll get signed somewhere in the spring.

Edited by EBF
  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, EBF said:

Well, let's say at any given time there are 15 RBs in the NFL who "deserve" to be starting and then maybe another 15-20 useful guys in FF whose relevance depends on a combination of opportunity and reasonably good talent. Abdullah's failure in Detroit suggests he's not a part of group A, but I do think he's good enough to be part of group B on the right team. I listed some names in the earlier post: McKinnon, Ekeler, Lewis, White. These are not special backs. They're decent players who fill a useful FF role.

I don't have access to FBG's staff rankings, but this site has him at RB59. I think he's probably somewhere around the 35th-45th best back in the NFL, so I like that price point, primarily in deep PPR leagues where a third down back type has the most value. That's so cheap that he's basically free. You make a lowball offer now or get him off waivers, stash him for this year, see where he signs in the spring and dump him if nothing comes of it.

I'm not going to pretend like I have all the right answers about FF or like I never back the wrong horse, but here are a couple pertinent stories: I was a pretty big Spencer Ware fan coming out of LSU. I took him with a late round pick in almost all my leagues and owned him almost everywhere. He made the team as a rookie, but barely played. When the Seahawks cut him after his rookie year, I dumped him and moved on. He was absolutely off the map at that point. He sat out football for a year, came back, and eventually had a relevant season with KC.

When Dion Lewis was coming out of Pitt, I was a huge buyer. I got him almost everywhere. Well...he was buried on the depth chart in Philly. Never got a chance there. Kicked around the league for years before emerging as a useful player in New England. People forget this now, but he was actually on the RB-starved Colts for a short time between Philly and NE, and didn't even stick on the roster there. Yet he eventually found a niche. Now he's probably starting for somebody in your league.

My point is that if a guy has some talent, but isn't an elite mega star, sometimes he can take a rocky road and still come out on the other side with some utility. Even high picks like Cedric Benson, Thomas Jones, and Marshawn Lynch were seen as flops at one point. This is NOT to say that Ameer is going to be good or that every bust is really going to turn it around, but you shouldn't necessarily turn your back on every player if he isn't an immediate success.

I wouldn't give up anything valuable to get Abdullah at this point, but I would pay above RB59 value and take a punt in hopes that he finds a new home. He showed potential in Detroit despite the overall poor numbers and would be snapped up pretty quickly if they cut him. As I said, I think he'll get signed somewhere in the spring.

I owe you for all of my Juju and Tyreke shares. When you talk, I listen :D Thanks for the reply. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/10/2018 at 8:31 PM, EBF said:

Things that make you go hmmm....

Detroit's running game in week one:

2.6 YPC

leading rusher = 20 yards

Not saying this completely absolves Abdullah from blame for being terrible last season. It's a new season with a new coach, but it sort of warms the heart of the AA apologist in me to see the replacements performing to similarly abysmal levels. This team doesn't know how to run the ball and hasn't for a long time.

At some point I remember reading a piece of advanced stat info on Abdullah stating he was leading the league in avg rushing yardage after initial contact. Yet it seems like Detroit and its fans were always down on him and looking for his replacement. I'm wondering when they'll realize it doesn't even matter who gets the touches in this backfield; RBs are just not set up for success on this team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, -arcK- said:

At some point I remember reading a piece of advanced stat info on Abdullah stating he was leading the league in avg rushing yardage after initial contact. Yet it seems like Detroit and its fans were always down on him and looking for his replacement. I'm wondering when they'll realize it doesn't even matter who gets the touches in this backfield; RBs are just not set up for success on this team.

I'm a full on AA apologist, but I've never understood why this team can't run block. I mean, I get that the loss of Decker last year was huge, but they've struggled to run block for every year Abdullah has been there. Looking back, it's a small miracle he was able to put up 4.2 or 4.3 ypc his rookie year. Everyone else on the team was in the 3 ypc range, IIRC.

They have a good passing game (historically - not week 1) and a healthy OL this season. I really expect the ground game to get going this year regardless of who is in the backfield... well, except for Riddick, he's just an awful runner - there's a reason they don't give him more carries. Might be a good time to buy low on Kerryon in redraft leagues. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, -arcK- said:

At some point I remember reading a piece of advanced stat info on Abdullah stating he was leading the league in avg rushing yardage after initial contact. Yet it seems like Detroit and its fans were always down on him and looking for his replacement. I'm wondering when they'll realize it doesn't even matter who gets the touches in this backfield; RBs are just not set up for success on this team.

I can't believe Blount didn't fix the running game. LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, FF Ninja said:

I'm a full on AA apologist, but I've never understood why this team can't run block. I mean, I get that the loss of Decker last year was huge, but they've struggled to run block for every year Abdullah has been there. Looking back, it's a small miracle he was able to put up 4.2 or 4.3 ypc his rookie year. Everyone else on the team was in the 3 ypc range, IIRC.

They have a good passing game (historically - not week 1) and a healthy OL this season. I really expect the ground game to get going this year regardless of who is in the backfield... well, except for Riddick, he's just an awful runner - there's a reason they don't give him more carries. Might be a good time to buy low on Kerryon in redraft leagues. 

It makes me wonder if JBC doesn't know how to get a running game going. Mike Lombardi (on his pod) said that the issue is JBC telegraphs everything. Teams know if it is a run or pass based on formation and personnel. He said adding Blount compounds the problem. He also said Patricia really screwed up by not telling JBC how predictbale they are and getting it fixed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.