Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
EBF

Official Ameer Abdullah - The Bandwagon

3 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

It makes me wonder if JBC doesn't know how to get a running game going. Mike Lombardi (on his pod) said that the issue is JBC telegraphs everything. Teams know if it is a run or pass based on formation and personnel. He said adding Blount compounds the problem. He also said Patricia really screwed up by not telling JBC how predictbale they are and getting it fixed. 

If this is true, how has no one told JBC this already? If it is being talked about openly on the radio or podcasts, it should take Patricia to tell him. Conversely, shame on Patricia if the media is more on top of things than he is. 

Sometimes I think coaches are much less intelligent than we give them credit for. Reminds me of the olden days when Ryan Mathews would touch the ball on over 60% of his snaps. You'd have to think opposing coaches were picking up on that trend, but maybe DCs are just as dumb as OCs...

28 minutes ago, FF Ninja said:

If this is true, how has no one told JBC this already? If it is being talked about openly on the radio or podcasts, it should take Patricia to tell him. Conversely, shame on Patricia if the media is more on top of things than he is. 

Sometimes I think coaches are much less intelligent than we give them credit for. Reminds me of the olden days when Ryan Mathews would touch the ball on over 60% of his snaps. You'd have to think opposing coaches were picking up on that trend, but maybe DCs are just as dumb as OCs...

I mean the Jets players openly told the media they knew all the Lions plays and were calling them out presnap. I know Patricia is a new HC so I am sure that is a ton of work. Plus he is trying to make over the defense. Perhaps he just trusted JBC to take care of the offense? I am usually a patient and optimistic fan but there has not been a single positive thing since the Patricia hiring. It all looks really bad. Over the summer and again Tuesday reports leaked that many of the Lion vets don't like him and he is in danger of losing the team. 

• Like 2

On 9/12/2018 at 8:40 AM, Ilov80s said:

He also said Patricia really screwed up by not telling JBC how predictbale they are and getting it fixed. 

On 9/12/2018 at 8:47 AM, FF Ninja said:

Conversely, shame on Patricia if the media is more on top of things than he is. 

Don't blame Patricia! I mean how would he possibly know the Lions were telegraphing their plays? It's not like he was ever a defensive coordinator or anything.

• Like 3

On 12/09/2018 at 4:40 PM, Ilov80s said:

It makes me wonder if JBC doesn't know how to get a running game going. Mike Lombardi (on his pod) said that the issue is JBC telegraphs everything. Teams know if it is a run or pass based on formation and personnel. He said adding Blount compounds the problem. He also said Patricia really screwed up by not telling JBC how predictbale they are and getting it fixed. 

That first sentence has been my suspicion for quite a while. The personnel is there. I hoped the removal of Prince as OLine coach would sort it but perhaps the problem is JBC

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 11:40 AM, Ilov80s said:

The Jet defensive players said something similar after the Monday Night game.

• Like 1

I've been trying to acquire him in the 2/5 dynasties where I don't have him already. As it turns out, the same owner has him in both leagues.

My last two offers that were knocked back:

League #1: Paul Richardson for Ameer

League #2: 2020 3rd round rookie pick for Ameer

Not sure if I will make improved offers or not. In theory, his value should be in the toilet since he flopped last season and isn't even active on gamedays so far this season. In practice, you may encounter some resistance from stubborn believers who invested big in him a couple years back and don't want to cut bait for cheap.

I still think it's worth tossing out some lowball offers in your leagues to see where people stand. On the other hand, you don't want to spend big on a guy like this. 

27 minutes ago, EBF said:

?

Yeah, maybe if you found that popcorn in the cracks of your movie theater seat.

55 minutes ago, NeverEnough said:

So who signs him?

14 minutes ago, DarkKnightsGuru said:

Eagles , Patriots , Redskins , Packers 

Argonauts, Roughriders, Stampeders, Alouettes

34 minutes ago, DarkKnightsGuru said:

Eagles , Patriots , Redskins , Packers 

I don't see the skins or pats doing it. They are good at RB. Packers, I hope not. Jones is good enough there. Eagles need the help

12 minutes ago, Steeler said:

Is he worth a speculative add to see where he lands?

Not many places he could land where he would 1) be a clear upgrade and B) not be on a terrible team offering little value RoS.

Maybe TB? Terrible team with a potent offense, Jones injured and Barber uninspiring.

Otherwise.. :shrug:

Edited by Chaka
  • Like 1

Seems like he would fit well in San Francisco with Breida always gimpy and mostert out. Runs and receives, clear upgrade over Morris,  what's not to like.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mcd said:

Seems like he would fit well in San Francisco with Breida always gimpy and mostert out. Runs and receives, clear upgrade over Morris,  what's not to like.

I don't see him as a clear upgrade over Morris. He doesn't know the offense hasn't performed better at any point in his career and has the same, or worse, ball security issues as Morris.

He would be a spec injury dependent add IMO.

25 minutes ago, Steeler said:

If available in dynasty, yes. For redraft, would have to be some very large benches...

1 minute ago, mcd said:

Agreed. This seems like his only real path to relevancy. He's a much better receiver than Breida. 

There are other teams where I think he'd be an upgrade, but I don't think he'd get the volume to be fantasy relevant in those places. 

• Like 1

Houston would intrigue me as Blue and Miller are basically the same guy just getting what’s blocked and doing nothing in the passing game. 

Tampa would be fascinating, but Dirk Koetter doesn’t seem like a good fit. 

Eagles make some sense. 49ers make some sense. 

Everyone says the Pats anytime an early round ‘bust’ comes available, but their need might be real depending on the health of Michel. Not holding my breath on that one. 

I imagine if anyone is interested, it’s one of the first four I mentioned. 

2 hours ago, FF Ninja said:

If available in dynasty, yes. For redraft, would have to be some very large benches...

Agreed. This seems like his only real path to relevancy. He's a much better receiver than Breida. 

There are other teams where I think he'd be an upgrade, but I don't think he'd get the volume to be fantasy relevant in those places. 

Nearly positive I saw that Martin Mahew is working in the SF FO, which may lend more credence to 49ers giving him a shot after losing Mostert and seeing Morris basically function as a slug.

SF was talking about bringing up a back from their practice squad. They may choose to give Abdullah a chance before going that route. 

5 minutes ago, JFS171 said:

Everyone says the Pats anytime an early round ‘bust’ comes available, but their need might be real depending on the health of Michel. Not holding my breath on that one. 

Was gonna add NE to my post above but just couldn't for that very reason. 

3 minutes ago, JFS171 said:

Houston would intrigue me as Blue and Miller are basically the same guy just getting what’s blocked and doing nothing in the passing game. 

Tampa would be fascinating, but Dirk Koetter doesn’t seem like a good fit. 

Eagles make some sense. 49ers make some sense. 

I imagine if anyone is interested, it’s one of the first four I mentioned. 

These are all good mentions, but Houston's bad OL would be problematic and you know Bill O'Brien would stick with some sort of awful RBBC. Tampa seems to take themselves out of games and hasn't had much luck running the ball - maybe Abdullah could help, but maybe it's the system or blocking. You're right Eagles would make some sense, but I'd still fear RBBC even though I believe Abdullah is better than everyone on that roster.

Between Michel and White I don't see a need for the Pats, but I could totally see Abdullah becoming the next Dion should the opportunity arise. Their skill sets are quite similar (great hands, underrated between the tackles). But they don't have a need and Abdullah's biggest flaw has been fumbles and those don't go over well in New England. 

Is New Orleans content behind Kamara and Ingram?  Seems like might be a nice spot with an eye towards next season when Ingram is presumably gone. 

New England is completely an injury dependent acquisition for Ameer.

But if Michel goes down (again) I bet they have Abdullah on speed dial.

5 hours ago, Steeler said:

In dynasty, yes. In redraft, it's a pretty huge longshot.

I think AA is good enough to help a lot of NFL teams. We'll see what happens.

Does anyone know how long waiver claims take in the NFL? Isn't it only a day or two? Seems like we should find out soon, one way or another.

This could shed a little bit of light on things:

The Eagles are 18th in the current waiver order with their 4-4 record, making it unlikely to get Abdullah on waivers (per ESPN's Adam Schefter on 97.5 The Fanatic).

"I’d be surprised if Abdullah fell to the Eagles waiver spot, I think there’s teams ahead of them that will have interest," Schefter said.

The Eagles will know if they make a successful waiver claim for Abdullah (if they make on) at 4 p.m. Wednesday when the league's transactions are filed.

So Schefter believes he will get picked up. I agree. It sounds like we could know within the next 15-30 minutes.

I'd like to see him on the Ravens, Eagles, 49ers, Texans, Colts, Packers, or Raiders.

Edited by EBF

3 minutes ago, knowledge dropper said:

Vikings claimed him. 

They want 20 sacks next time they play DET?  :lol:

Edited by Steeler
Stupid auto correct
  • Like 1

Unless Cook is hurt, which he sure didn’t look like it, this pretty much renders Abdullah useless, right?

5 minutes ago, knowledge dropper said:

Vikings claimed him. 

Can’t imagine there were many spots worse than this for the balance of this season.  

Means he made it past some pretty RB needy teams too (Raiders, Bills, Niners, Jets?, Bucs, Colts?, Ravens, Eagles).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JFS171 said:

Unless Cook is hurt, which he sure didn’t look like it, this pretty much renders Abdullah useless, right?

I think regardless if Cook is hurt or not that this renders him useless.

Was GB behind them in the WW order?  I don't think so but that would at least make sense.

Just now, Steeler said:

Was GB behind them in the WW order?  I don't think so but that would at least make sense.

GB was ahead of the Vikings, so they passed on him too.

... this smells of a intel signing. Dalvin Cook is healthy and Latavius Murray ran great in his absence. 

1 minute ago, The Frankman said:

... this smells of a intel signing. Dalvin Cook is healthy and Latavius Murray ran great in his absence. 

Intel on what? They just curb stomped Detroit's offense.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, travdogg said:

Intel on what? They just curb stomped Detroit's offense.

A  reminder to Cook that if he takes the wrong path, he could end up like Ameer.

Would have been better for us all if he ended.up with the Argonauts.

Man, this is kind of crazy... so when news broke that Abdullah was released I started to do a quick google search to see if there was any talk of who would pick him up. As I typed in Ameer Abdullah the Google suggestion was seriously "Ameer Abdullah Vikings"... on Tuesday... WTF. Of course when I did search for his name, nothing came up about the Vikings on Tuesday. 

15 hours ago, JFS171 said:

He return kicks for the Vikings according to unconfirmed rumors 

Could be a nice option for the Vikes as a kick returner.   Man, I remember loving his tape coming out of college.   I made sure to get him in drafts upon entering the league and then he broke a long run on one of his first carries by making a cut and blazing down the left sideline.   I felt pretty optimistic that he would be a stud after his impressive preseason his rookie year.   It took a few years to quit convincing myself that it was going to happen for him. 

16 hours ago, Chaka said:

Would have been better for us all if he ended.up with the Argonauts.

Isn't he a free agent after this year?

Looks like he is so who cares? Wasn't doing anything this year anyways. He's a hold in dynasty to see where he goes on the offseason.

Edited by voiceofunreason

26 minutes ago, voiceofunreason said:

Looks like he is so who cares? Wasn't doing anything this year anyways. He's a hold in dynasty to see where he goes on the offseason.

That he made it to the Vikings should tell you a lot about his value in next years free agency. There were at least 20 teams that passed on him.

22 hours ago, JFS171 said:

He is slightly more useful than Roc Thomas who the Vikings cut to make room for Abdullah.

Ameer Abdullahs best game as a pro happened against the Vikings. So I can see why they would be interested in him.

1 hour ago, voiceofunreason said:

I dropped him & picked Ratley back up.

Better to get claimed by Minnesota than to get claimed by nobody.

I don't see a path to relevance this season, but I cut bait on Spencer Ware and Dion Lewis too early in the past when teams bailed on them. They both resurfaced in new spots and became useful FF players. I feel like Abdullah is good enough to do the same, though I would've strongly preferred a more open landing spot like SF/Oak/Hou. I don't see him having much value on the Vikings as long as Cook is healthy. He'll probably need another team change to have a real chance. 

• Like 1

Vikings re-signed RB Ameer Abdullah.

Claimed off waivers from the Lions mid-season, Abdullah played sparingly on offense but notably averaged 25.8 return yards as Minnesota's special teams-ace from Week 11 on. He's expected to mix-in sparingly to compensate for the departure of Latavius Murray in free agency. As it stands, Dalvin Cook remains a premium buy in Best Ball and dynasty leagues as the team only has Mike Boone, Roc Thomas, and Abdullah available behind him.

RELATED: 

Detroit Lions

SOURCE: Minnesota Vikings on Twitter

Mar 18, 2019, 2:01 PM

Dang it.  Was holding him in a few leagues hoping for a miracle signing, but the Vikings that is not.  Back to the waiver pool he goes, unless they don’t draft a backup RB.

I really liked Abdullah during the early days, he still has low miles. I like the signing for Minnesota,. I think AA will be the #1 back up to Cooks. I'm grabbing with both hands as an end of the roster stash.