What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Duke Johnson RB Dolphins (1 Viewer)

I can't understand it. The guy is one of the most talented pass catching backs on the league. You sign him to a contract as such. And then you ignore him in your game plans. 

Meanwhile, productive offenses all over the league are successfully incorporating these backs into their offenses. 

I'd get it if they didn't extend him. They just want to go another way. But they paid him in a manner indicating they want to use him. I guess there is a reason they are a joke. 

I'm going to hold one more week.  Hue stated he's going to become more involved in running the offense.

Nothing to lose by seeing if there is a pulse next game.  

Duke relegated to injury stash status.  Might be something if every other RB on the roster is injured or traded.  Maybe.

Definitely a hold right now to see what this Freddie Kitchens guy has.

I see a lot of people thinking the RBs are going to get a big boost because Kitchens was the RB coach. BUT he was a RB coach for only 1.5 years of his coaching career (2017 without David Johnson in Arizona, and this season thus far), so expectations should be tempered. He was the QB Coach for 4 years with Carson Palmer in AZ when they were actually good, and worked under the Bruce Arians offense.

Duke Johnson caught 4-of-4 targets for 31 yards and a touchdown in the Browns' Week 10 win over the Falcons, adding three carries for 15 additional yards.

Johnson's 11-yard touchdown in the third quarter was a third down checkdown from Baker Mayfield. Johnson now has 17 touches over Freddie Kitchens' two games as offensive coordinator. His previous two-game high for 2018 was 11. Johnson will have an excellent Week 12 matchup in the Bengals when the Browns come off bye.

Nov 11 - 5:41 PM

640 Miami's Andy Slater reports the Eagles and Cowboys have both expressed interest in trading for Duke Johnson.

Slater isn't a typical Rotoworld source, but he has real connections this time of year. On top of that, Johnson is a Miami alum, so there's likely some fire where this smoke is coming from. It's no secret the Browns have deemed Johnson expendable after signing Kareem Hunt to go with Nick Chubb. Johnson can likely be had for a Day 3 draft pick considering his contract status as one of the league's higher-paid running backs. The Eagles would be a nice landing spot.

RELATED: 

Dallas Cowboys

, Philadelphia Eagles

SOURCE: Andy Slater on Twitter

Mar 4, 2019, 7:05 PM

This kid on the Eagles would be fantastic from FF. But dang, from an NFL perspective, he REALLY opens up that Cowboys offense. That would be an amazing get for them.

Browns have deemed Johnson expendable after signing Kareem Hunt to go with Nick Chubb

Makes no sense. Who says? The Browns haven't. Hunt won't be there for 6-10 games, maybe more.

The Man With No Name said:
 Browns have deemed Johnson expendable after signing Kareem Hunt to go with Nick Chubb

Makes no sense. Who says? The Browns haven't. Hunt won't be there for 6-10 games, maybe more.
He was basically expendable last year with career lows in carries and receptions. 

The Cleveland Plain Dealer's Mary Kay Cabot reports the Browns are still shopping Duke Johnson.

Cabot reported essentially the same thing 10 days ago. The Eagles and Cowboys were previously linked to Johnson and have done nothing in free agency to enforce their backfields, so perhaps they're still in the mix, along with others. With the free-agent market picked through, Johnson might start getting some more play. Johnson doesn't have a role in Cleveland; he seems to be a lock to be dealt or possibly even cut before the summer.

SOURCE: Cleveland Plain Dealer

Mar 14, 2019, 11:36 AM

Browns coach Freddie Kitchens said Duke Johnson has "a role on our football team."

"I don't know why it's assumed that we're going to trade Duke Johnson,'' Kitchens re-iterated at the NFL annual meetings in Phoenix. "I don't know why we would ever want to voluntarily give up a good football player. Duke Johnson is a good football player. Duke Johnson will have a role on our football team." Kitchens later insisted he'd play the trio of Nick Chubb, Kareem Hunt, and Johnson together in the wishbone formation once Hunt returned from his eight-game suspension, subtlety suggesting it didn't happen out the gates last year because "Carlos [Hyde] and Nick are closer comparisons" than Cleveland's current three backs. Despite Kitchens' firm stance, it's still likely the Browns find a suitor for Duke closer to the trade deadline in October.

Mar 27, 2019, 6:13 PM

Oh snap, first mention of wishbone. We've reached peak offseason nonsense. 
You think he's lying?

He has ALREADY used the wishbone with the Browns.

Freddie Kitchens brings the wishbone to life in Cleveland Browns win over the Atlanta Falcons

Updated Nov 12, 2018; Posted Nov 12, 2018

CLEVELAND, Ohio-- No one believed Browns offensive coordinator Freddie Kitchens.

Well, at least no one in the Dino Lucarelli Media Room at the Browns Training Facility this week.

When asked about the offensive gameplan for the Browns heading into the game against Atlanta, Kitchens was transparent.

“I eventually want to get to the wishbone" Kitchens said...

It is negligible. Teams always talk about using it, but it never has any meaningful impact on snap count. Every time a team has two decent running backs, it gets mentioned in the offseason. Every time, it has failed to live up to the hype. Pure offseason buzz word.
Did a lot of research on OBJ and what it means for an offense. 

One player in his former division said every game plan began with bracket coverage of OBJ.  He said that is going to open up the running game for the Browns.

The thing that has been overlooked with the whole OBJ thing is that Dorsey brought in Olivier Vernon and Sheldon  Richardson on what used to be a sieve of a defensive line.

That means the Browns defense won't be bleeding as much.  

The passing game won't be playing from behind as much and won't be playing catch up.

Their will be more clock control run situations.

Duke is good.  He will get used, he's off the trade block and Freddy says he's going to use him.  

Freddy is a simple talker and simple doer.  

I expect to see  more of Duke than we did last year especially early-on before Kareem is back.

Did a lot of research on OBJ and what it means for an offense. 

One player in his former division said every game plan began with bracket coverage of OBJ.  He said that is going to open up the running game for the Browns.

The thing that has been overlooked with the whole OBJ thing is that Dorsey brought in Olivier Vernon and Sheldon  Richardson on what used to be a sieve of a defensive line.

That means the Browns defense won't be bleeding as much.  

The passing game won't be playing from behind as much and won't be playing catch up.

Their will be more clock control run situations.

Duke is good.  He will get used, he's off the trade block and Freddy says he's going to use him.  

Freddy is a simple talker and simple doer.  

I expect to see  more of Duke than we did last year especially early-on before Kareem is back.
I don't disagree with anything in the first half of your post. I mean, Saquon did better with OBJ than without, so that just adds support to this reasonable theory.

As for Duke, I've never been overly impressed with him. I think he's a decent NFL back who has played in a plus situation for his skill set. He's a third down back who has played on a team that was pretty much always losing. His runs have come against soft fronts and many of his carries and receptions have been in garbage time, thus inflating his stats, especially in a PPR setting. And everyone conflates fantasy points with skill, so he's been overhyped, IMO. That being said, after seeing what Williams did in KC after Hunt, it is very possible that Duke and Hunt are similar talents. Duke is probably a better pass blocker, though. I expect Chubb to get 60-70 percent of the snaps. The rest will be for Duke and Hunt to fight for. I doubt either is a meaningful fantasy contributor. 

On the topic of him being traded, how many times have we heard a coach say a player is not being shopped only to see the player traded a month later? Kitchens isn't the GM. I wouldn't be so confident that Duke is off the block.

I don't disagree with anything in the first half of your post. I mean, Saquon did better with OBJ than without, so that just adds support to this reasonable theory.

As for Duke, I've never been overly impressed with him. I think he's a decent NFL back who has played in a plus situation for his skill set. He's a third down back who has played on a team that was pretty much always losing. His runs have come against soft fronts and many of his carries and receptions have been in garbage time, thus inflating his stats, especially in a PPR setting. And everyone conflates fantasy points with skill, so he's been overhyped, IMO. That being said, after seeing what Williams did in KC after Hunt, it is very possible that Duke and Hunt are similar talents. Duke is probably a better pass blocker, though. I expect Chubb to get 60-70 percent of the snaps. The rest will be for Duke and Hunt to fight for. I doubt either is a meaningful fantasy contributor. 

On the topic of him being traded, how many times have we heard a coach say a player is not being shopped only to see the player traded a month later? Kitchens isn't the GM. I wouldn't be so confident that Duke is off the block.
If you don't like Duke then you don't like Duke.  I like him.

He was definitely on the trade block before the suspension of Hunt was known and now he's off the trade block which makes perfect sense.

I don't agree with your assessment of what Duke can or cannot do. IMHO it is a matter of usage and that is strictly a coaching decision and Freddy says he's going to use him.

In my league he's not fantasy relevant so if you don't like him for fantasy purposes I agree but he will be used more this year and I honestly expect Freddy to use the wishbone this year, if only to unfurl it a few times in order to make DCs do more preparation.  

Bracie Smathers said:
If you don't like Duke then you don't like Duke.  I like him.

He was definitely on the trade block before the suspension of Hunt was known and now he's off the trade block which makes perfect sense.

I don't agree with your assessment of what Duke can or cannot do. IMHO it is a matter of usage and that is strictly a coaching decision and Freddy says he's going to use him.

In my league he's not fantasy relevant so if you don't like him for fantasy purposes I agree but he will be used more this year and I honestly expect Freddy to use the wishbone this year, if only to unfurl it a few times in order to make DCs do more preparation.  
It's not that I don't like him. I just don't think he's a notable player. He's not bad. He's just not that good, either. 

Again, you say he's off the trade block like it is a matter of fact, but really we've just got a coach saying that. He's not the GM. It has happened MANY, MANY times that a coach has said we're not trading this player, he's in our plans, yadda yadda... only to have the player get traded a month later. I'm not saying that's definitely going to happen (who is going to trade anything for a guy like Duke making Duke's money?) but I seriously doubt Dorsey has stopped shopping him. However, as I just alluded, I don't think anyone was going to trade for him anyway. If he was still on his rookie contract, sure, but not while he's making over $5M/year. Mark Ingram just got signed as a FA for $5M/year and he's way better than Duke, so why would anyone trade anything of worth just to overpay Duke?

The Cleveland Plain Dealer's Mary Kay Cabot reports the Texans, Jets, and Eagles have all expressed interest in acquiring Duke Johnson.

The Eagles were previously linked to Johnson, along with the Cowboys. It sounds like he has a market; the Browns just have to decide to pull the trigger on a deal. Johnson didn't report for the start of OTAs on Monday and figures to stay away from the Browns until he's dealt. It's matter of when, not if, Johnson gets traded. The Eagles and Texans would both be nice landing spots for Johnson.

RELATED: 

New York Jets

, Philadelphia Eagles

, Houston Texans

Apr 1, 2019, 4:48 PM

Why he signed. It was a no brainer for the Browns. He'd have gotten more on the open market and he wasnt assured of anything here.
I thought it was a pretty decent contract for what he accomplished at that point. 5 mill per year is not bad for an RB who never rushed for over 400 yards in a season. Obviously his pass catching skills are his strength, but there are more talented backs making less money.

I thought it was a pretty decent contract for what he accomplished at that point. 5 mill per year is not bad for an RB who never rushed for over 400 yards in a season. Obviously his pass catching skills are his strength, but there are more talented backs making less money.
It isn't 5 mil per. It's a 6 mil, 2 year deal. The back loaded portion of the deal isnt guaranteed.

His skill set is unique for the position. That's why there's a market. And why there would have been one if he'd have waited til ufa. On a team that wants to use him. Not be a bridge. 

It isn't 5 mil per. It's a 6 mil, 2 year deal. The back loaded portion of the deal isnt guaranteed.

His skill set is unique for the position. That's why there's a market. And why there would have been one if he'd have waited til ufa. On a team that wants to use him. Not be a bridge. 
He’s from The U. Likely broke and took the first paycheck. 

NFL.com's Tom Pelissero reports that Duke Johnson is "certainly not a guy that (the Browns) are going to give away."

Per Pelissero, it will take "something significant." In other words, the Browns have yet to be offered anything significant. Johnson does have real value. One of the league's best pass-catching backs, he is due only $2.3 million in 2019. He actually is somebody the Browns can be patient with. The question is if they would rather just get the matter resolved.

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Apr 2, 2019, 11:40 AM

voiceofunreason said:
Because Hunt won't be there the first half of the year and a good chance he's only there for one year and signs somewhere else.
Could be but Cleveland will have the first rights to Hunt in 2020. 

Unwrittenlaw said:
I wonder why they didn't ship him with Ogbah to KC. KC not interested?
KC would have to have offer them more in return. Maybe KC wasn't willing to move any more parts. 

Could be but Cleveland will have the first rights to Hunt in 2020. 
He also needs to get through his suspension without incident.  Not a good draft to go shopping for a cheap replacement either, but good chance that's why the team is being patient with potential offers.  They know the class is weak, which could drive up his market.

Duke has the ability to make this messier, I just hope he doesn't.

He also needs to get through his suspension without incident.  Not a good draft to go shopping for a cheap replacement either, but good chance that's why the team is being patient with potential offers.  They know the class is weak, which could drive up his market.

Duke has the ability to make this messier, I just hope he doesn't.
You seem to have insight into the Browns. Any theories on why they seem to limit him on the field so much?

You seem to have insight into the Browns. Any theories on why they seem to limit him on the field so much?
He's under utilized.  There's no way to spin that. 

But I also think he has some soft tissue concerns.  I always suspected it just watching him play and then Huebola mentioned it during Hard Knocks last year.  When he gets the ball electric things happen, but then when the play is over you constantly see him slow to get up or gingerly lumbering toward the sideline to then be followed by an extended absence.

I don't think he can handle > 10 touches/game over the course of the season.  I think he can on occasion and should never have games with < 5 though.

Why the Jets would be interested in tying up that much money at the RB position when they have Le'Veon Bell as an every-down guy already is...baffling, but it's the Jets. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Browns coach Freddie Kitchens said Duke Johnson's trade request "doesn't matter to me."

"At this point in time, him asking for a trade doesn't matter to me," said the first-year head coach. "His demands, I'm not impacted by that one bit." Johnson saw his workload scaled back with the arrival of Nick Chubb last year and now with Kareem Hunt in tow, he could be in for an even smaller role in 2019. Despite his no-show at OTAs, Kitchens reiterated Johnson is still "under contract" and insists he'll have a "vital role" in Cleveland's offense when he decides to show up. With Hunt suspended for the first half of the season, it makes sense to stash Johnson and continue using him on passing downs, where Chubb has been a non-factor.

SOURCE: ESPN.com

Apr 28, 2019, 7:42 AM

Speaking in a Tuesday radio interview, Browns GM John Dorsey again intimated that he would not trade Duke Johnson.

"I keep telling you guys and you all don't listen to me," Dorsey said. "Duke Johnson is a viable member of this organization. He's very talented. This organization has plans to use him." On its face, this is Dorsey insisting that he plans to keep Johnson, but he notably makes no guarantee of the sort. As usual, it simply sounds like Dorsey has not gotten what he considers a fair offer for his third-down back. All in on 2019 and lacking a viable No. 2 while Kareem Hunt is suspended, Dorsey will likely keep Johnson at this point unless someone is willing to overpay.

SOURCE: Keith Britton on Twitter

Apr 30, 2019, 4:41 PM ET

The Cleveland Plain Dealer's Mary Kay Cabot reports Duke Johnson will participate in OTAs.

Johnson has been absent for all offseason work thus far in an effort to force a trade. The Browns have adamantly denied they are looking to move Johnson, however, so there was little reason for the running back to continue his hold out. Given Kareem Hunt's suspension, Johnson will serve as the No. 2 behind Nick Chubb for at least the first eight games of the season.

May 14, 2019, 9:07 AM ET

Duke Johnson is not participating during OTAs.

The Cleveland Plain Dealer's Mary Kay Cabot reported Johnson was expected to be present for OTAs, but he has yet to be seen. It is unclear if he will report to mandatory minicamp next week. GM John Dorsey has made it clear he has no plans to trade Johnson, but the running back could force Dorsey's hand if the holdout continues.

SOURCE: Mary Kay Cabot on Twitter

May 30, 2019, 10:50 AM ET

Users who are viewing this thread