What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Duke Johnson RB Dolphins (1 Viewer)

I got Duke in the 7th as the news broke. Went RB heavy to start, so thinking of throwing up an offer for a WR like TY Hilton, since people seem to be super down on him after the Luck retirement (I still think he'll put up good WR2 numbers). 

I just can't shake the feeling that Duke is going to be a major value this year, flirting with 15-20 touches a game.

I got Duke in the 7th as the news broke. Went RB heavy to start, so thinking of throwing up an offer for a WR like TY Hilton, since people seem to be super down on him after the Luck retirement (I still think he'll put up good WR2 numbers). 

I just can't shake the feeling that Duke is going to be a major value this year, flirting with 15-20 touches a game.
when you say major value, I question that going forward, saw about 5 footballguys players championship drafts this weekend he went between 4.2 and 5.4

As someone who had Hilton the last time Luck wasn't around, I would rather have Duke.

If you think this means your 4th RB is unlikely to see your lineup, welcome to your first year of fantasy football.  You are in for a surprise.
I'm pretty sure this was for Dynasty  Maybe start two w/ a flex   I would imagine he has another three or four backs who may or may not be quite so shabby  Backs who just may not have as much current selling power  Nobody seen no trades tho?

Bracie Smathers said:
     here are updated 2019 #ClayProjections (I'm clearly going conservative on Duke's carry share)

Mike Clay‏Verified account @MikeClayNFL

Fully expect the Texans to add at RB, but in the meantime, here are updated 2019 #ClayProjections (I'm clearly going conservative on Duke's carry share)

7:17 PM - 24 Aug 2019

-----------------------------------

Click LINK above to see the chart but Clay's projection has Duke at 162 carries and 48 receptions for the year or 10.125 rushing attempts and 3 receptions per game.
Your projects are conservative and I wouldn't be surprised to see Duke get closer to 180 or 190 carries and 55 receptions, but even with this conservative estimate he would rank as RB20 in my ppr league last season.  191 points would put him 3 points behind Chubb, two behind Tevin Coleman, and 1 behind Adrian Peterson and 9 more than Mack and Howard.  

180 caries at 4.2 ypc=756 yard. 3 rushing TDs

55 receptions at 9.2 ypc = 506 yards receiving and 3 TDs

PPR point total= 217 points

That would put him at RB14 last year, just behind Lindsay at 222 and ahead of Drake at 208.  

I think RB14 is closer to where he ends up in ppr leagues. Remember, in 2017 just two years ago, he was RB11 in ppr leagues.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you think this means your 4th RB is unlikely to see your lineup, welcome to your first year of fantasy football.  You are in for a surprise.
I didn't want to go into my whole roster and league set up, but.....

we start 5 flex basically with max of 3 rb ... I have McCaffrey, Bell, DFreeman, Hopkins, Thielen, KAllen, AJ Green, Dede, Godwin, Kelce, Kittle so good chance Duke doesn't see the field

I didn't want to go into my whole roster and league set up, but.....

we start 5 flex basically with max of 3 rb ... I have McCaffrey, Bell, DFreeman, Hopkins, Thielen, KAllen, AJ Green, Dede, Godwin, Kelce, Kittle so good chance Duke doesn't see the field
Burn.

yeah I dunno   We might be getting a bit off-topic here  But I'm not so sure any WR gained in trade would do so much in comparison to injury/bye situation at RB  Flex is flex tho...  (More importantly BearsFan doesn't seem to enthused about Duke's potential)  Should be interesting to see what the trade looks like thus providing more insight especially for any hoping to acquire

(fwiw) I think WR's is very valuable  But I like RB's for the potential in point's  

Back on Duke...

I just ran the football guys “rate my team” again  for my dynasty team that has duke Johnson, and apparently they are now ranking Duke Johnson ahead of Mark Ingram.

And yes, my “chances of making the playoffs” improved by about 6% from the last time I ran it. The algorithm also stopped complaining about my lack of depth at running back.

So I’ve got that going for me, which is nice.

Was getting Duke at the 6/7 turn in the DD. Now I'm thinking I have to take him at the 4/5 turn if I want him at all. 

Was getting Duke at the 6/7 turn in the DD. Now I'm thinking I have to take him at the 4/5 turn if I want him at all. 
12 team PPR redraft, Sunday he went 4.10, so yeah - people are high on his outlook in HOU a for sure. I believe FBG has him top 20. 

12 team PPR redraft, Sunday he went 4.10, so yeah - people are high on his outlook in HOU a for sure. I believe FBG has him top 20. 
Just did another DD and got him at 5.12. I do t think they have it updated enough. I think it has him ranked 23 still.

Got him today at 6.11 in a .5 ppr 12 team Superflex league. I was more than happy with that.
I love him anywhere late 5th/early 6th. 

Because if you have him as a RB3/flexthat’s pretty much his floor. 

So sure, much earlier than before the injury, but a fair price.

IMO late 4th was a bit of a reach. I wouldn’t take him ahead of David Montgomery. 

Duke's stock will continue to go up over the next few days. The hype will build further. 
What happened to everyone saying they would sign someone off the scrap heap to be the “feature back?” I’m banging dukes drum as loudly as anyone, but all I’ve heard is “they’ll sign Carlos Hyde to take the early down work.” Or some other also ran. I might throw out some trade offers when they do sign some future garbageman. 

I am curious to see how this Clowney for Drake/Stills trade rumor plays out.  Drake is the type of guy who could put a damper on Duke's outlook.  For Duke's sake, I would rather they sign an aging vet with minimal pass catching chops.

I am curious to see how this Clowney for Drake/Stills trade rumor plays out.  Drake is the type of guy who could put a damper on Duke's outlook.  For Duke's sake, I would rather they sign an aging vet with minimal pass catching chops.
Of the many possibilities I like Drake. 

It would create a pretty clear committee, and DJ would retain significant value on a team that should be throwing a lot.

and Drake can’t stay healthy so we’d ha w some boom games from feature back Duke. 

Of the many possibilities I like Drake. 

It would create a pretty clear committee, and DJ would retain significant value on a team that should be throwing a lot.

and Drake can’t stay healthy so we’d ha w some boom games from feature back Duke. 
I'd rather for Duke's sake to have an aging plodder with Roberto Duran's hands.  A guy who wears down and finally says "No mas".  Drake has the skills to siphon from Duke's bread & butter.

I'd rather for Duke's sake to have an aging plodder with Roberto Duran's hands.  A guy who wears down and finally says "No mas".  Drake has the skills to siphon from Duke's bread & butter.
Well if we’re playing that game, I’d rather the Texans trade Clowney for an OL where they really need help, and make Duke the featured back.  :pickle:

I love him anywhere late 5th/early 6th. 

Because if you have him as a RB3/flexthat’s pretty much his floor. 

So sure, much earlier than before the injury, but a fair price.

IMO late 4th was a bit of a reach. I wouldn’t take him ahead of David Montgomery. 
Agreed that seems a good place to take him.  No sensible owner should take Duke ahead of David Montgomery

Can't see him holding up for 16 games.
Why, exactly? He’s the prototypical size/weight  for a future back in the NFL. 

I get the sense that people see Duke Johnson is some sort of underweight, undersized scat back… Dude is 5’10”, 210 pounds. 

If a deal doesn't involve a starting LT there is zero sane reason for the Texans to trade Clowney. Of course they have no GM so who knows if they are going to make a sane decision...
This makes sense; and no team is going to trade a quality starting LT because they are so important and valuable.

This makes sense; and no team is going to trade a quality starting LT because they are so important and valuable.
Redskins might, their LT is refusing to suit up for them. Reportedly the Dolphins are interested in Clowney but aren't willing to part with Tunsil so that's likely going nowhere. The mentioned Drake + Stills would be a pitiful return.

Redskins might, their LT is refusing to suit up for them. Reportedly the Dolphins are interested in Clowney but aren't willing to part with Tunsil so that's likely going nowhere. The mentioned Drake + Stills would be a pitiful return.
They could get Doctson too, addressing another key need & getting a potentially talented plug & play WR who needs a change of scenery bad. 

Really? Hmm. I’m starting off with Kamara, Henry, Guice and Barber (as keepers) and no receivers so I’m obviously going WR heavy to start. I was gonna go Fournette/Williams in the 3rd and then Duke in the 6th (Kelce is a keeper in the 5th) but doesn’t look like that is going to work. 

Today wasn’t a great day for the Texans and their fan base, but it was a great day for Duke. Arrow pointing way up. 
I love DTC Izzy, but he went on a huge rant on twitter about how Hyde kills Duke's value mostly based on how Hue Jackson handled his RB's....HUE JACKSON.  Not to mention making the defense weaker and the O-Line stronger is perfect for Duke's versatile skill set.

He is my flex......he is going to show even more in Texas. Kid is uber talented. He only needs 15-17 touches to be superbly productive. I see a career year in store big time. RB2 type numbers are a very real possibility this season in this offense.

He is my flex......he is going to show even more in Texas. Kid is uber talented. He only needs 15-17 touches to be superbly productive. I see a career year in store big time. RB2 type numbers are a very real possibility this season in this offense.
I am starting him this week over Derrick Henry in ppr league.  This matchup with New Orleans should be a high scoring one for both teams.

I am starting him this week over Derrick Henry in ppr league.  This matchup with New Orleans should be a high scoring one for both teams.
Dog in the highest total of the week, should be gold and even more in ppr.

This kid is a lock for RB2 production with RB1 ppr upside.  He plays in a high powered offense that just got beast of a guard.  He has no competition for carries.  What am I missing?

This kid is a lock for RB2 production with RB1 ppr upside.  He plays in a high powered offense that just got beast of a guard.  He has no competition for carries.  What am I missing?
No team has put him as a bell cow before

they have, instead, opted for guys like Isaiah Crowell, Carlos Hyde and Nick Chubb.  Now after the Miller injury, the Texans immediately trade for Hyde...for some reason coaches don’t want DJJ to get carries in volume...

I think it's more a matter of coaches don't think a 'smaller' RB can handle the workload, not because they can't but because coaches don't give them the chance, they suffer from paralysis by over analysis. Jamaal Charles was ,what, 5'9 199lbs, he's about the only smaller RB that actually got the bellcow treatment.

B O'Brien is smart enough to realize what he has in DJ, and what he lacks in Carlos Hyde. 

Users who are viewing this thread