What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kenny Bell thread (1 Viewer)

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Steve Muench ranks Nebraska WR Kenny Bell as the eighth-best athlete in the draft.

Bell is essentially never talked about amidst an ocean-deep receiver class, but he's another potential sleeper to monitor. The 6-foot-1, 197-pounder had one of the year's most underrated combine performances. He ran a 4.42 40 and finished with the third-highest vertical (41 1/2), the fourth-longest broad jump (10-9), and the third-fastest three-cone time (6.66) in the receivers group. We think Bell's ceiling is that of Kenny Stills.

Source: ESPN Insider
Mar 8 - 8:21 PM

Rotoworld:

Kenny Bell - WR - Cornhuskers

ESPN's Kevin Weidl believes Nebraska WR Kenny Bell has "a chance to bring [a] strong return in the fringe day 2 range."

This dispatch is interesting on two levels. The first is that we haven't really heard Bell discussed as a Round 3 possibility before, perhaps because he's been lost in the shuffle amongst an ocean-deep WR class. The second is that Weidl believes Bell could be a good value at that spot, speaking to the prospect's athletic upside. The 6-foot-1, 197-pounder ran a 4.42 40 at the combine and finished with the third-highest vertical (41 1/2), the fourth-longest broad jump (10-9), and the third-fastest three-cone time (6.66) in the receivers group. If he maximizes his ability, we see the next Kenny Stills.

Source: Kevin Weidl on Twitter

Mar 22 - 1:08 AM

I got to see him live at the Combine here in Indy and came away very impressed. I had no idea of his background but was like "man,he's good.

He made lol the catches and you could absolutely tell he was fighting for his proverbial life out there.

Rooting for him.

Rotoworld:

Kenny Bell - WR - Cornhuskers

Nebraska wide receivers coach Rich Fisher said WR Kenny Bell is "flying under the radar."

"The draft seems to be a lot about measurables: height, weight, size and speed," Fisher said. "But I would take Kenny Bell over any of those guys. He can run by you, but he can also block you at the point of attack on the perimeter. That's a tough combination especially when it comes to play action." That said, Bell's measurables are pretty impressive on their own. At 6-foot-1, 197 pounds, Bell runs a 4.42 40-yard dash and has a 41.5 inch vertical. "His second gear and physicality as a blocker for his size stands out," one AFC scout said. If he reaches his potential, Bell is going to be the next Kenny Stills.

Source: Fox Sports

Apr 13 - 8:04 PM

Last edited by a moderator:
Its a good spot to land imo. Ease into the offense with Evans, VJax and ASJ. When VJax leaves, possibly take over as the #2.

I've been a bit tempered on Bell's pro potential, but I ended up taking him in the 3rd round of a rookie draft. Here's a great career highlight film from his time at Nebraska, if you've never really seen him play. He's basically had varying forms of hot garbage throwing him the ball since he stepped on campus (Taylor Martinez was only accurate out to about 20 yards, Tommy Armstrong has a cannon but zero touch), so it'll be interesting to see what he does with an NFL caliber QB throwing to him.

Stoked when the Bucs grabbed this guy. Searched for a thread, but the function doesn't seem to work as well since the board upgrade.

He could get on the field very quickly with the Bucs in 3 WR sets. I expect Koetter to use him similarly to the way Harry Douglas was utilized in Atlanta.

Too many mouths to feed for my taste and although its a quirky reasoning, I think the mindset of the team will gravitate towards doing things that match well with all these big guys and he is the odd guy out.

They get down to the RZ, he's an absolute after thought because, rightfully so, all the prep and practice is going to be how to make mismatches with these giants they have out there.

So, I get the sense that he will have to do all his damage from afar and long distance TDs are too inconsistent for me to eat up a roster spot for a few years waiting.

I would draft him on value if he fell but would be looking to trade him away.

Rotoworld:

Bucs selected Nebraska WR Kenny Bell with the No. 162 overall pick in the 2015 NFL draft.

Bell (6'1/197) left Nebraska as the school's all-time leader in receptions (181) and receiving yards (2,689), averaging 14.9 YPR with 21 TDs. He was voted first-team All-Big Ten as a senior by the conference's coaches. Bell shredded the Combine, running 4.42 with a 41.5-inch vertical and 6.66 three cone. Matt Waldman's favorite player in the 2015 draft, Bell is a feisty competitor who plays the game with extreme aggressiveness and flashes special route-running ability. Similar to Kenny Stills, Bell could prove a steal despite generating relatively little fanfare inside the draft community.

May 2 - 2:58 PM

CBS Sports' Pete Prisco calls Nebraska WR Kenny Bell "a lean receiver who put up good numbers at Nebraska without having a real talented passing quarterback throwing to him."

"He is a little thin at 6-1, 195 pounds, but he has good speed and ran a 4.42 at the NFL Scouting Combine," Prisco wrote. Nebraska wide receivers coach Rich Fisher said last week that Bell is "flying under the radar." We don't disagree. Bell has a 41.5-inch vertical. "His second gear and physicality as a blocker for his size stands out," one AFC scout said. We compare Bell to a Kenny Stills-type and think he could go in Round 3.

Apr 21 - 11:50 PM
Source: CBS Sports

Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Ranking positions on offense

Excerpt:

2015 fifth-rounder Kenny Bell looks primed to be one of the bigger steals of the draft for the Buccaneers — he was a fan favorite at Nebraska for his playmaking abilities and intangibles, and Bell has been developing chemistry with Jameis Winston as his roommate at rookie camp and his potential slot-receiver once the full off-season program starts up. He’s got shifty speed and doesn’t shy away from laying down a block, so if he can stay healthy and pick up the playbook quickly, Bell will be seeing plenty of reps by the start of the season.

reading some of the beat reporters, i noticed a few mentioned that Jackson is taking reps at slot. he's older but looks to be in good shape and capable. this could mean that Bell might get opportunities on the outside (which given his ability to block makes sense too).

Rotoworld:

Kenny Bell - WR - Buccaneers

Pewter Report believes fifth-round WR Kenny Bell will eventually emerge as the Bucs' slot receiver.

Bell's competition is six-year veteran Louis Murphy, who posted a 31-380-2 line in 11 games with the Bucs last season. Both players are explosive athletes who could fit well in new OC Dirk Koetter's offense, but Bell should be given the advantage after the current regime spent a mid-round pick on him this year.

Related: Louis Murphy

Source: Pewter Report

Jul 11 - 12:15 PM

Rotoworld:

Kenny Bell - WR - Buccaneers

Buccaneers coach Lovie Smith said he expects "big things" from WR Kenny Bell in 2016.

Bell's rookie season was over before it started. He suffered a hamstring injury in training camp and never saw the field this year. Before that, Bell was expected to compete with Louis Murphy for the No. 3 wide receiver spot behind starters Mike Evans and Vincent Jackson. The fifth-round pick is someone to watch for in dynasty leagues.

Source: Greg Auman on Twitter

Dec 22 - 5:29 PM

They need him desperately. How they feel about Bell will directly correlate to whether or not they add a WR in free agency or early in the draft.

Not what I wanted to see as a Bell owner in several leagues.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3202/vincent-jackson

Pewter Reports Scott Reynolds doesnt expect the Bucs to ask Vincent Jackson for a pay cut.

Jackson played only 10 games this season and is due $12.2 million in the final year of his deal. He's expected to stay with the Bucs despite the cap hit. Jackson averaged 54 YPG when healthy and should remain effective through his age-33 season. Keeping Jackson is an easy decision in a weak free-agent class. Jan 29 - 8:04 PM
This means Bell is probably again a wasted roster spot for a year. Don't know if I want to hold him until 2017 to find out what I really have in this player.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on him. After Evans, and V-Jax it's a mess. A potential draft pick or FA could compete, as well as Humphries & Louis Murphy.

Pewter Reports Scott Reynolds doesnt expect the Bucs to ask Vincent Jackson for a pay cut.

Jackson played only 10 games this season and is due $12.2 million in the final year of his deal. He's expected to stay with the Bucs despite the cap hit. Jackson averaged 54 YPG when healthy and should remain effective through his age-33 season. Keeping Jackson is an easy decision in a weak free-agent class. Jan 29 - 8:04 PM
This means Bell is probably again a wasted roster spot for a year. Don't know if I want to hold him until 2017 to find out what I really have in this player.
Not sure why everyone would be giving up on Bell given this news. Can't see V-Jax really healthy for more than 6 games moving forward.

Not sure why everyone would be giving up on Bell given this news. Can't see V-Jax really healthy for more than 6 games moving forward.
No one can accurately predict injuries (not even EBF). Look at last August/September in the DMC/Michaels/Dallas threads where just about everyone was saying Mcfadden couldn't stay healthy for all 16 games (but he did so for a second year in a row).

Unless Jackson is injured, Bell is not going to see much action on the field this year, which means he won't be fantasy relevant and worse, we will still won't know if he can succeed at the NFL level.

No one can accurately predict injuries (not even EBF). Look at last August/September in the DMC/Michaels/Dallas threads where just about everyone was saying Mcfadden couldn't stay healthy for all 16 games (but he did so for a second year in a row).

Unless Jackson is injured, Bell is not going to see much action on the field this year, which means he won't be fantasy relevant and worse, we will still won't know if he can succeed at the NFL level.
Honestly this just makes it easier to acquire Bell. If you're an owner just be patient. VJax is 33 so comparing it to DMC isn't really comparable. If anything I doubt VJax will be playing every snap so Bell has a chance to develop behind 2 good WRs until his chance comes. I wouldn't be selling thats for sure and I definitely wouldn't be dropping him.

No one can accurately predict injuries (not even EBF). Look at last August/September in the DMC/Michaels/Dallas threads where just about everyone was saying Mcfadden couldn't stay healthy for all 16 games (but he did so for a second year in a row).Unless Jackson is injured, Bell is not going to see much action on the field this year, which means he won't be fantasy relevant and worse, we will still won't know if he can succeed at the NFL level.
Honestly this just makes it easier to acquire Bell. If you're an owner just be patient. VJax is 33 so comparing it to DMC isn't really comparable. If anything I doubt VJax will be playing every snap so Bell has a chance to develop behind 2 good WRs until his chance comes. I wouldn't be selling thats for sure and I definitely wouldn't be dropping him.
Exactly (regarding Jackson). He is ancient and deteriorating. Grabbing Bell now is like any other fantasy move, a calculated risk/reward play. The Bell move is just one I like, even if they draft another WR in the 4th rd or later, because he can catch and block. That will get him on the field. Pair that with a rising QB talent and you have the makings of potential fantasy success.

Guy hasn't played a single snap in the NFL, out on IR all year. He's essentially a rookie again next season. Keeping the veteran VJax is probably a good idea for the team in terms of player development.

Probably more worrisome if they add comparable FA or draft pick than retaining VJax

Papa John said:
acidjazz said:
squistion said:
Papa John said:
squistion said:

No one can accurately predict injuries (not even EBF). Look at last August/September in the DMC/Michaels/Dallas threads where just about everyone was saying Mcfadden couldn't stay healthy for all 16 games (but he did so for a second year in a row).Unless Jackson is injured, Bell is not going to see much action on the field this year, which means he won't be fantasy relevant and worse, we will still won't know if he can succeed at the NFL level.
Exactly (regarding Jackson). He is ancient and deteriorating. Grabbing Bell now is like any other fantasy move, a calculated risk/reward play.The Bell move is just one I like, even if they draft another WR in the 4th rd or later, because he can catch and block. That will get him on the field. Pair that with a rising QB talent and you have the makings of potential fantasy success.
I agree with this and am i proud owner of bell as a possible last keeper slot. Its probably not quite the same but close enough for a comparison for what we are saying that i see bell kinda like Donte Monecrief, Colts took him and he was raw and everyone knew that he probably wasnt going to do much his first couple of years, his rookie year was true were he had like 2-3 really good games but just didnt play enough to do anything, then this offseason colts sign Andre and draft dorsett and everyone thought it was going to hurt monecrief and he ended up showing the coaches a bunch in training camp and getting a good rapport with Luck so he playing pretty good and the owners that held onto him were rewarded very well. Is bell as athletic as donte, maybe not but he is in a good spot and he is a great lottery guy that can bring great dividends if you hold onto to him for a year or two

Given how Winston looked in his rookie year and his marked progression, TB would be foolish not to start including a lot of 3 wide sets in its O. If they do, Bell will play on the outside as a field stretcher. That could make for a decent year for him given how Winston likes to challenge downfield.

Bell is at a minimum a hold IMO

I just cut him due to roster cuts in a dynasty (along with Justin Hunter). Can't hold IR in the offseason.

I'm hoping he gets through the rookie/FA draft so I can grab him again.

i do not think he will ever be as good as jerry rice brohans take that to the bank

(Rotoworld) Bucs coach Dirk Koetter said WR Kenny Bell is currently behind Adam Humphries and Donteea Dye on the depth chart.

Analysis: Bell is certainly more talented than both Humphries and Dye, but he is starting at a disadvantage this offseason after missing his entire rookie year with a hamstring injury. "He was around all the time last year. He was in the meetings. He's a sharp guy," Koetter said. "But he's starting off behind Adam and DD right now, because those guys, just by being able to hang in there, they got a lot of playing time." Bell may be buried on the depth chart right now, but he should easily jump Dye and Humphries by the time training camp rolls around. He has a good shot to open the season as the No. 3 receiver behind Mike Evans and Vincent Jackson.

The Bucs expect Kenny Bell to be their No. 3 receiver.
Bell lost his rookie year to a hamstring injury, but the Bucs are counting on him to add speed to their three-wide sets. He’s the odds-on favorite to open the season as the No. 4 pass-game option behind Mike Evans, Vincent Jackson, and Austin Seferian-Jenkins. Bell only has to hold off Louis Murphy, Donteea Dye, and Adam Humphries in the slot.

Source: Jenna Laine on Twitter 
May 14 - 4:29 PM

(RotoWire)Bell turned in an impressive OTA session Thursday, Joe Kania of the team's official site reports.

Analysis: The second-year wideout has enjoyed an impressive offseason overall, and looked particularly good during last Thursday's open OTA session. Bell, trying to rebound from missing his entire rookie campaign with a hamstring injury, was able to haul in several passes at his fingertips without having to break his stride during the session. The former Cornhusker appears to be making a strong push for the Bucs' open third receiver spot, which is also in the sights of fellow second-year wideout Adam Humphries and veteran Louis Murphy.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vincent Jackson will be a free agent next year

The Tampa Bay Times' Greg Auman doesn't consider second-year WR Kenny Bell "a total lock" to make the Bucs' 53-man roster.
Nothing is set in stone behind starters Mike Evans and Vincent Jackson. While the Bucs want Bell to grab the No. 3 job, he's facing competition from Louis Murphy (knee), Russell Shepard, and Donteea Dye. By most accounts, Bell has looked good at OTAs, but the real competition starts this summer.

Source: Greg Auman on Twitter

Users who are viewing this thread