What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*****Official 2016 Kentucky Derby Thread***** (1 Viewer)

chet

Footballguy
Here we go!

My friend's horse, Itsaknockout, just won the Fountain of Youth in Gulfstream and will be running in Louisville on May 2 barring injury.

Last edited by a moderator:
He was my 2nd choice in that race (f you Gorgeous Bird)..looked pretty good despite needing the DQ to get the win.

Good luck and hope he stays healthy and makes the starting gate

Doesn't seem like the NY horses have faired too well in recent years, but his daddy sure was a nice horse (didn't realize he hit the board in every start)

The BC Classic he won was one for the ages (despite me going heavy on Lookin At Lucky)

"Zenyatta...zenyatta...ZENYATTA!....Blame"

Dan Lambskin said:
Doesn't seem like the NY horses have faired too well in recent years, but his daddy sure was a nice horse (didn't realize he hit the board in

every start)

The BC Classic he won was one for the ages (despite me going heavy on Lookin At Lucky)

"Zenyatta...zenyatta...ZENYATTA!....Blame"
The dam side is most impressive. That effort in the Gotham in only his 2nd career start is just fantastic.

My friend's horse didn't fare so well over the weekend in the Florida Derby. 4th and well off Upstart and the winner Materiality.

Here we go!

My friend's horse, Itsaknockout, just won the Fountain of Youth in Gulfstream and will be running in Louisville on May 2 barring injury.
Jeux sans Frontieres?
Had to google Jeux sans Frontieres although I did the translation. No idea if he was named after a gameshow but I will ask Derby weekend if he's running.

This schtick again

FWIW he just finished 2nd in the richest race in the world and will be doing turf races in England this summer

American Pharaoh looked solid in the Rebel Stakes after a long layoff. It's like the horse didn't have time off at all. Running next in the Arkansas Derby on 4/11. I have a futures bet locked in already in case he makes a nice showing again.

Dentist said:
Bum deal California Chrome can't come back and attempt to repeat
Maybe they can alter his VIN number and sneak him in under a different name. Something like South Dakota Silver.

Dentist said:
Bum deal California Chrome can't come back and attempt to repeat
Maybe they can alter his VIN number and sneak him in under a different name. Something like South Dakota Silver.
"And down the stretch they come! Nebraska Nickel and Texas Tin are battling up front. Louisiana Lead tucks in behind them, but on the outside, Florida Formica is charging hard!"

Dan Lambskin said:
This schtick again

FWIW he just finished 2nd in the richest race in the world and will be doing turf races in England this summer
Fine.. but people generally like dynasties, viewership goes up when something special could happen... like NCAA ratings are up this year because of Kentucky's quest for 40-0.. people liked Jordan's Bulls and Magic's Lakers... and they inexplicably like the Yankees and Blue Devils... joe average loves the familiar.

I can all but guarantee that viewership would increase if California Chrome was allowed to attempt to repeat.. and if he did it the crowd would go wild and be clamoring for a 3-peat in 2016.

I just want to see horse racing succeed and get more mainstream... maybe even build some interest in the other triple crown races which are a shadow of the Derby.

And the current rules aren't set up for it to make a breakthrough...

I"m fighting for change... we all want the same thing here.. to see this sport grow or at least maintain.

Dan Lambskin said:
This schtick again

Fine.. but people generally like dynasties, viewership goes up when something special could happen... like NCAA ratings are up this year because of Kentucky's quest for 40-0.. people liked Jordan's Bulls and Magic's Lakers... and they inexplicably like the Yankees and Blue Devils... joe average loves the familiar.

I can all but guarantee that viewership would increase if California Chrome was allowed to attempt to repeat.. and if he did it the crowd would go wild and be clamoring for a 3-peat in 2016.

I just want to see horse racing succeed and get more mainstream... maybe even build some interest in the other triple crown races which are a shadow of the Derby.

And the current rules aren't set up for it to make a breakthrough...

I"m fighting for change... we all want the same thing here.. to see this sport grow or at least maintain.
Dude, go crap on the chest of other threads. Leave the Derby alone.

As we've said to you numerous times, there's a race called The Breeders Cup Classic. Google it if unfamiliar. There, 3 year olds can race against 5 year olds can race against 7 year olds.

The Kentucky Derby is fine. Attendance is fine. It doesn't need a makeover. This schtick is really dumb.

I don't really want to take that bait but Dentist, what you are asking for would be more comparable to Anthony Davis and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist coming back to play on this yeas Kentucky Team

As we've said to you numerous times, there's a race called The Breeders Cup Classic. Google it if unfamiliar. There, 3 year olds can race against 5 year olds can race against 7 year olds.

The Kentucky Derby is fine. Attendance is fine. It doesn't need a makeover. This schtick is really dumb.
if you say so... i'll leave the thread alone, but I remain unchanged on my ideals. And I will post a one liner next season: Too bad (2015 Kentucky Derby winner) doesn't have the chance to repeat

I don't really want to take that bait but Dentist, what you are asking for would be more comparable to Anthony Davis and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist coming back to play on this yeas Kentucky Team
What's even dumber is that the Breeders' Cup Classic very much pits the best horses in the world regardless of age. The race of his fantasies has been going on since 1984 and the prize purse is 5 times the KD. 10 times a 3 year old horse has won the BCC.

What's even dumber is that the Breeders' Cup Classic very much pits the best horses in the world regardless of age. The race of his fantasies has been going on since 1984 and the prize purse is 5 times the KD. 10 times a 3 year old horse has won the BCC.
So that race sounds great, when is it? I never see it advertised.

Also why isn't this race, which sounds a crapload better than the KD more popular?

Obviously I know the answer is probably marketing... maybe they need to run this race on the same day as the KD on the same track... or somehow market it better with a better name. Breeders Classic sounds horrible.

Maybe: HORSEMania or The FASTEST Horse on the Planet - brought to you by Jimmy John's.. home of the freaky fast delivery

Also why isn't this race, which sounds a crapload better than the KD more popular?

Obviously I know the answer is probably marketing... maybe they need to run this race on the same day as the KD on the same track... or somehow market it better with a better name. Breeders Classic sounds horrible.

Maybe: HORSEMania or The FASTEST Horse on the Planet - brought to you by Jimmy John's.. home of the freaky fast delivery
The whole event is called the Breeder's Cup, the feature race is called the Classic. It happens (IIRC) first weekend of November or so. I lost my ### on those races last year. It's the best day of racing all year by a long shot, tons of races (Juvenile, Mile, Turf) pitting the best horses in the world against one another.

The whole event is called the Breeder's Cup, the feature race is called the Classic. It happens (IIRC) first weekend of November or so. I lost my ### on those races last year. It's the best day of racing all year by a long shot, tons of races (Juvenile, Mile, Turf) pitting the best horses in the world against one another.
That sounds great... but they are doing so many things wrong it's unbelievable.

Poor name, poor branding, horrible time of year (don't compete with football), it's no wonder i've never seen this thing.

Who's in charge of this thing... This is in serious need of major changes

Because it isn't a Monster Truck rally or a WWE event? Horse racing isn't catering to booger eaters. Digesting a racing form takes a certain level of sophistication.

When the Kentucky Derby airs, it is competing against what? Early rounds of NBA playoffs? May baseball? NHL? It does well because it competes against nothing and NBC does a great job promoting it.

The Breeders' Cup (which again, offers 5 times the purse of the Derby and is often called the Super Bowl of Horse Racing) has to compete against College Football in late October or early November which in this era of Playoff College Football is an IMPOSSIBLE sport to compete against for ratings. That said, the money is there, the sponsorship dollars are there, the rich and famous are there and it will survive.

Is horse racing as popular as it was in 1945? Of course not. But neither is boxing and if you haven't noticed, Mayweather vs Pacquiao is going to smash records for ring seats, PPV income and prize money. Without looking, can you name 5 boxers outside of Pacquiao or Mayweather? Of course you can't. But the sport still brings in money. So does horse racing. It does not need a makeover. It does not need to advertise itself as a Wrestlemania Extravaganza. Watch the Kentucky Derby closely and count the celebrities who travel to little old Louisville to watch the race live. Scan the infield and tell me those people aren't having a blast.

That sounds great... but they are doing so many things wrong it's unbelievable.

Poor name, poor branding, horrible time of year (don't compete with football), it's no wonder i've never seen this thing.

Who's in charge of this thing... This is in serious need of major changes
:lmao:

Okay, nevermind. Fishing.

Some big prep races this Saturday to decide the derby field: Wood Memorial, Santa Anita and Blue Grass Stakes.

Will be in the infield. Can we get a roll call? Pretty excited for corndogs and chance to meet Joe Pesci.

Read today that the future book $2 EXACTA for Baffert's Dortmund and American Pharoah is $50. That is ridiculous.

I need to see a horse rate. If Dortmund rates in the SA Derby and pulls away he's got a shot.

Throw out anyone in the Florida Derby. Interested to see if the Bluegrass becomes prominent again since it's back on dirt.

Big day tomorrow - picture will start to become clearer.

Since Baffert's horses will probably be over-bet tomorrow, any other horse at SA worth putting a couple a bucks on WPS?

Since Baffert's horses will probably be over-bet tomorrow, any other horse at SA worth putting a couple a bucks on WPS?
Bolo, imho
I would 2nd Bolo. Although I think Dortmund wins this race. He has been impressive especially in his last race.

As for the Blue Grass Stakes, I keep going back to Ocho Ocho Ocho. I know Carpe Diem will be there as the big favorite, but I think Ocho will have an impressive race. Classy Class is another horse that looks to be in a good spot here.

Leroy Hoard said:
Undefeated Dortmund draws rail for $1M Santa Anita Derby

ARCADIA, Calif. (AP) -- Undefeated Dortmund drew the No. 1 post position and is the early 3-5 favorite for the $1 million Santa Anita Derby this weekend.

Great info. Keep it coming all the up to the Derby.!

The 3-year-old colt is 5-0 for Hall of Fame trainer Bob Baffert, who will also saddle One Lucky Dane on Saturday in the West Coast's major prep for the Kentucky Derby. One Lucky Dane will break from the No. 2 post in the six-horse field.

Baffert is seeking a record seventh win in the 1 1/8-mile race.

Dortmund is coming off a 1 1/4-length victory in the San Felipe on March 7. A son of 2008 Kentucky Derby winner Big Brown, Dortmund has been favored in all five of his starts. He's been the odds-on choice in his last four races and likely will be again this weekend under Martin Garcia.

One Lucky Dane is a son of 2010 Preakness winner Lookin At Lucky, who was also trained by Baffert. He has two wins in five career starts and was listed at 5-1 odds Wednesday.

At 15-1, Cross the Line drew the No. 3 post, while 4-1 choice Bolo will break from the No. 4 spot under Hall of Fame rider Mike Smith. Prospect Park, a 7-2 shot, drew the fifth spot in the starting gate.

Bad Read Sanchez landed in the far outside spot and is the longest shot in the field at 30-1. He's trained by Doug O'Neill and ridden by Mario Gutierrez, who teamed to win the 2013 Kentucky Derby and Preakness with I'll Have Another.

The winner earns 100 qualifying points for the Kentucky Derby. Second is worth 40, third earns 20 and 10 go to the fourth-place finisher. Prospect Park is currently tied for 20th on the leaderboard that determines the horses assured of earning a berth in the 20-horse field for the Derby on May 2.

All starters carry 122 pounds.

So nothing really to shake up the top of the probable field with the mild exception of El Kabeir finishing 3rd in the Wood. If American Pharaoh crushes the Arkansas, it'll be interesting to see how he, Dortmund, and Carpe Diem end up being priced.

Any other horses out there likely to draw a lot of support on race day? Materiality?

if you say so... i'll leave the thread alone, but I remain unchanged on my ideals. And I will post a one liner next season: Too bad (2015 Kentucky Derby winner) doesn't have the chance to repeat
it really is ignorant, horrible schtick. Stay in the investment threads.

Users who are viewing this thread