Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
workdog3

*** All aboard the J Train - Official Jay Ajayi Thread***

I didn't see a thread on this guy so figured I'd kick things off. May as well start with the combine figures.

40 yd - 4.57

Bench - 19 reps

Vert - 39

Broad - 121

3-cone - 7.10

20 yd shuttle - 4.10

60 yd shuttle - 11.10

6' 0", 221 lbs.

I like what I see on tape. Great balance, runs hard, good receiving skills. He doesn't have much lower body power which may limit his short yardage use.

Edited by workdog3

Physically he checks all the boxes. My concern is and has been vision and a tendency to bounce outside far too often. For a guy with his size and measurables he doesn't take the tough YDs as often as you'd like to see.

Physically he checks all the boxes. My concern is and has been vision and a tendency to bounce outside far too often. For a guy with his size and measurables he doesn't take the tough YDs as often as you'd like to see.

That's not going to work considering he was slower than many of the DE today.

I love his prospects and think he is very very close to MG.

• Like 1

Rotoworld:

Boise State RB Jay Ajayi posted 4.57 and 4.62 forty-yard times at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Believe it or not, the 6-foot, 221-pound Ajayi was amongst the forty leaders in the running back group. The tough runner added 19 reps on the bench. A home run threat as a runner and receiver who plays with an edge, Ajayi told the media he patterns his game after Demarco Murray. Interestingly, he has met with the Cowboys and could potentially be Murray's replacement. It will probably take a second-round pick to secure Ajayi's services.
Feb 21 - 9:47 PM

Rotoworld:

An NFL scout said Boise State RB Jay Ajayi is a "big back with very good speed."

The 6-foot, 221-pound Ajayi posted 4.57 and 4.62 forty-yard times at the NFL Scouting Combine, marks that were actually above average for the running back position this year. "Really came on at the end of the year," the scout told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. "He's just a guy that runs hard. Very physical." Ajayi patterns his game after Demarco Murray.
Mar 1 - 7:26 PM

I love his prospects and think he is very very close to MG.

i think he could prove to be the best back in the draft of he lands in the right spot. if he lands with the cowboys i would take him #1 overall

Isn't that FB speed?

He had the 13th best 40 time for running backs this year, so it's a pretty decent time. For context Le'Veon Bell ran a 4.6 and Gio Bernard ran a 4.53

Edited by KCKraken

Doe he catch? Pass block?

Pass blocking is a weakness, but receiving game is solid. He caught 50 balls for 535 yards and 4 TDs last year.

anyone surprised he's not in Mayock's top 5? Not that Mayock bats 1000 with his rankings or anything ;)

Isn't that FB speed?

Isaiah Crowell ran the same 40 time. I measured his 40, and he has the same 10-yard and 20-yard split as Melvin Gordon.

Isn't that FB speed?

Isaiah Crowell ran the same 40 time. I measured his 40, and he has the same 10-yard and 20-yard split as Melvin Gordon.

Kiss of death to compare him to Gordon, every good FBG knows that Gordon is too slow to be any good.

Isn't that FB speed?

Kiss of death to compare him to Gordon, every good FBG knows that Gordon is too slow to be any good.
Gordon plays faster. Mostly because he's got better vision and instincts. Also better lateral movement and ability to explode from angles. Ajayi runs with better power and is a beer receiver imo.
  • Like 1

Isn't that FB speed?

Gordon plays faster. Mostly because he's got better vision and instincts. Also better lateral movement and ability to explode from angles. Ajayi runs with better power and is a beer receiver imo.

I'm a good beer receiver too, doesn't help my football case though :banned:

Isn't that FB speed?

I'm a good beer receiver too, doesn't help my football case though :banned:
:lol:

Too funny to edit it now.

Isn't that FB speed?

I would say Gordon is smoother while Ajayi runs with more reckless abandon like Crowell.

Isn't that FB speed?

I would say Gordon is smoother while Ajayi runs with more reckless abandon like Crowell.

I agree with this. The way Ajayi runs, he is the player some people thought Yeldon would become by the time he declared. As a freshman he had a reckless, wild mustang kind of running style that people thought he might harness and improve. But he didn't and really he's just sloppy and kind of uncoordinated through the hole. Ajayi runs with a similar abandon but he knows when to lower his shoulder and shorten his strides.

Rotoworld:

NFL Media analyst Charles Davis believes Boise State RB Jay Ajayi "runs with vision, strength and balance," and could be the third-rated RB in the class.

"Watching tape-RBs Gurley and Gordon are clearly the top 2-3rd RB? Jay Ajayi of Boise St-Runs with vision, strength, balance, catches it well, too," Davis tweeted. The Boise State prospect offers a potential three-down-back skill-set, and brings a nice combination of power and open field athleticism to the table. Ajayi recorded 50 receptions out of the backfield for 536 yards and four touchdowns, while rushing for 1823 yards with 28 touchdowns. The versatile back could hear his name called in the second-round of the draft.
Mar 3 - 3:05 PM

Rotoworld:

Jay Ajayi - RB - Broncos

NFL Films' Greg Cosell said he might rank Boise State RB Jay Ajayi as a top-three running back in the class.

"I didn't know very much about him before I watched him," Cosell said of diving into Ajayi's tape. "He's got loose hips, quick feet. He's an easy accelerator. I think he's got the feet and agility of a smaller back. I like him an awful lot. He's not the exact same runner, but his build is very similar to Marshawn Lynch." Cosell hasn't completed his RB rankings, but we already know Todd Gurley will be No. 1. It's possible T.J. Yeldon, one of the analyst's favorites, will be No. 2. Cosell would consider taking Ajayi ahead of Melvin Gordon if he were running a team targeting a "foundation" back. Ajayi is ticketed for Round 2.

Source: Ross Tucker Podcast

Mar 15 - 9:52 PM

It would be awesome to watch him run behind that line. A landing spot like that and all of a sudden you could see Ajayi going top 2 in a lot of rookie drafts.

Draft location will be very key to how these guys shake out, IMO. Beyond Gurley, I don't see enough advantage in any of the others to take them in a mediocre location over if one of these guys lands in a prime spot. Where it gets murier is if the guys not being talked about "as much" end up there.

Duke Johnson in Dallas? Does he leap over Gordon and Jay, etc?

Rotoworld:

Boise State RB Jay Ajayi "ranks anywhere from a high of No. 2 on running back boards around the league to a low of No. 6," according to TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline.

We've heard rumblings that Ajayi has perhaps moved ahead of Wisconsin's Melvin Gordon on a few boards, and now a plugged-in reporter is confirming the same. "I'm told Jay Ajayi looked good in running back drills, especially catching the ball," Pauline wrote of the prospect's pro day. Ajayi elected not to run the forty, standing on his combine numbers (4.57 forty; 1.59 10; 4.1 20-yard shuttle; 7.1 second 3-cone). Ajayi dined with the San Diego Chargers on Tuesday.
Mar 19 - 10:56 PM

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Steve Muench believes Boise State RB Jay Ajayi would be an ideal fit for the Cowboys in Round 2.

"Ajayi is a bigger back (6-0, 221 pounds) who gives blockers enough time to get into position and hits the gas as soon as he locates a seam, so he would make the most of playing behind Dallas' offensive line," Muench wrote. The analyst cited average speed, heavy collegiate workload, health concerns and fumbling concerns as reasons that he could potentially drop to Dallas' second-round slot. All that said, he likes Ajayi a lot -- and with good reason. "He doesn't just take what his blockers give him, either, as he's shown the ability to make the first defender miss and pick up yards after contact," he wrote. "As far as the passing game is concerned, he's an above-average route-runner for the position, he has good hands and he produces after the catch. He also made strides as a pass-blocker last year."
Mar 20 - 3:32 PM

SI 64: Nos. 49-45: Jay Ajayi, Carl Davis, Nelson Agholor, more

Excerpt:

49. Jay Ajayi, RB, Boise State

Bio: A tremendously productive player, Ajayi is the only person in FBS history to amass 1,800 rushing yards and 500 receiving yards in the same season, which he did in 2014. This wasn't a fluke, either—Ajayi rushed for 1,425 yards and added 222 receiving yards in '13. Boise State players tend to be undervalued for a number of reasons (such as a fallacious belief that the strength of competition is an issue), but he gained 229 yards against Utah State in 2014, and that defense ranked 24th in the nation in defensive efficiency, per Football Outsiders—and gained 86 yards against Mississippi, who ranked third in those same rankings. Ajayi is a top-class back ready for the NFL in many ways.

Strengths: Has outstanding balance and jump-cut ability when bouncing outside—can move between two gaps in the time it takes other backs to hit one. Tough player who runs low to the ground for the most part and fights for extra yards after contact. Excellent vision, especially in the open field—uses agility to break plays open. Hits a different level of speed in the open field. Willing receiver with potential to expand his route tree. Not afraid to take a hit in traffic. Patient runner who has the potential to improve in this area. Could be a three-down franchise back with a few blocking classes.

Weaknesses: Decisive for the most part, but there are times when Ajayi loses yardage because he's looking too hard for bigger gaps. High-cut runner (6'0", 221 pounds) who will take more hits because he's a bigger target. Blocking can be a real adventure for him—he seems to alternate between misdirected and disinterested. Has 11 fumbles over his last 600 carries. Serious workload over the last two seasons is a concern, and he was suspended in 2011 and '12 for an off-campus violation. Serious knee injury in 2011, though he recovered especially well from it.

Conclusion: I've seen some compare Ajayi to Marshawn Lynch, and while Ajayi doesn't have Lynch's ability to create yardage out of nothing (few backs do, really), there's a lot to be said for a back with his balanced profile and extreme production against some top-quality defenses. People tend to forget that when Darren McFadden came out of Arkansas in the 2008 draft, he was also a strong inside runner—not just a speed guy. Ajayi has some of the same special characteristics, and the same possibility that he could get lost on the wrong team. He'll need to learn to run lower in the NFL, and will likely require openings from his offensive line, but in the right system, he could put up some seriously impressive stats.

Pro Comparison: Darren McFadden, Cowboys (Round 1, 2008)

S.O.D. (fantasy). This guy almost certainly won't go higher than 7-8 on average in FF drafts and has every shot in the world of being the long-term top 2-3 of the bunch.

S.O.D. (fantasy). This guy almost certainly won't go higher than 7-8 on average in FF drafts and has every shot in the world of being the long-term top 2-3 of the bunch.

I'm taking him what I assume will be 3rd in my dynasty. Granted a team doesn't jump on him, but my team is in need of a RB. Although as I've been saying, I'm convinced whatever RB is drafted by Dallas will be first overall.