Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
workdog3

*** All aboard the J Train - Official Jay Ajayi Thread***

1 hour ago, FF Ninja said:

So you either don't understand what's going on here or you can't understand the definition you just looked up. Either way, not too impressive.

Classic FFN. It actually is impressive how oblivious you are to your own post history.

3 minutes ago, MG345 said:

Classic FFN. It actually is impressive how oblivious you are to your own post history.

Classic MG345. Still haven't made a worthwhile post. I wouldn't even recognize you if you hadn't been a massive troll in the Newton vs. Wilson thread.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FF Ninja said:

Classic MG345. Still haven't made a worthwhile post. I wouldn't even recognize you if you hadn't been a massive troll in the Newton vs. Wilson thread.

Love it. "Massive troll". Like I said, irony. It is amazing how self unaware you are.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, squistion said:

I don't recall seeing so many condescending posts in quite awhile. First it was for not using "common sense" and "common knowledge," then looking down on those who use Twitter, "I am not one of those people who spends all day looking at their phone" and for the trifecta, playing the "Support The Troops" card. Oh well...

Anyway, as far as value in rookie picks, 1.09 was Ajayi's high end for months, but with Drake as the only serious competition, I think now it is more like 1.06 - 1.07.

And as far as Ajayi owners panicking, I own him in two leagues and am not - just enjoying the ride, as it is like found money. Figured he was just a backup when they signed Anderson (and remember they front loaded the first year of the contract because they didn't think the Broncos could match) and when that fell through, a lot of the conventional wisdom saw Zeke falling to the Dolphins. The fact that after free agency and the draft, the only threat is Drake turned out to be the best case scenario.

new strategy for May... Nice

2 hours ago, MG345 said:

Love it. "Massive troll". Like I said, irony. It is amazing how self unaware you are.

:rolleyes:

• Like 1

Miami monitoring Fosters health. 

Arian Foster - RB - FA - May. 24 - 10:50 pm et

According to the Miami Herald's Barry Jackson, the Dolphins "continue to monitor" free agent Arian Foster.
The Dolphins have been the team most-heavily linked to Foster since he visited them in March. Foster is expected to be medically cleared in as little as a week, so it looks like his market is going to heat up well before training camp. The Dolphins have said all the right things about second-year RB Jay Ajayi, but he can't get too comfortable atop the depth chart. May. 24 - 10:50 pm et 
Source: Miami Herald

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=5469&line=335928&spln=1

Hey Shark Pool,

I've started up a site called Forward Fantasy Focus and recently have been doing write up's on some players with ambiguity this coming year. The series is called the Talent, Situation and Opportunity Report. It's an offspring of what Sigmund always preaches when analyzing a player and would love some feedback. Hopefully you'll find the content engaging too.

TSO Report: Miami Dolphins RB - Jay Ajayi

http://www.forwardfantasyfocus.com/offseason-coverage-1/jayajayi

Thank you!

• Like 1

i feel like im comfortable ranking ajayi over dudes like Jstew, Rashad Jennings, Matt Jones,Jeremy Hill and maybe even Carlos Hyde and both Murrays. But im not real sure if i can put him above guys like Mccoy, Martin, Ingram and Forte. I think if the stars align he could have a better fantasy year than any one of those guys but they have been proven to produce and he is still a hype train after all 

10 hours ago, wiersface said:

i feel like im comfortable ranking ajayi over dudes like Jstew, Rashad Jennings, Matt Jones,Jeremy Hill and maybe even Carlos Hyde and both Murrays. But im not real sure if i can put him above guys like Mccoy, Martin, Ingram and Forte. I think if the stars align he could have a better fantasy year than any one of those guys but they have been proven to produce and he is still a hype train after all 

We need to see more of Ajayi. I believe he'll be fine. Someone mentioned that he wasn't elusive but I beg to differ he's very elusive.

Tex

11 hours ago, wiersface said:

I think this is very good slotting and realistic.  Hyde might end up being the better Fantasy play if they use him as a receiver just because its going to be ugly in the bay and there will be garbage to be taken out but I think Ajayi is going to look like the better back doing what he does. 

I think overall people have been slow to formulate an identity for this guy and its caused them to push him down in their mind's eye of rankings but he's got some moves.  It's not the same, of course, but I think he could be a Ray Rice like kind of presence on the field.

2 hours ago, BigTex said:

That was a really nice tough run with a spin move against a pathetic Chargers defense, and there was a few nice runs as you'd expect in a highlight tape.   Which isn't exactly the best way to armchair scout. 

What I saw was highlight tape that was filled with plays where there was a ton of space for him, and that on pretty much every run he had more yardage before than after contact.  He can be effective if given space to get to second level.  While he'll break an arm tackle, I see on a lot plays where he goes down pretty easily on first contact (kind of like of like a pinball).  Not great at keeping his feet underneath him, you can see him trip over his feet in the endzone after the aforementioned spin run against SDC.  

I certainly don't see a tape that demonstrates a high level of elusiveness for a NFL rb.   :shrug:

26 minutes ago, tone1oc said:

That was a really nice tough run with a spin move against a pathetic Chargers defense, and there was a few nice runs as you'd expect in a highlight tape.   Which isn't exactly the best way to armchair scout. 

What I saw was highlight tape that was filled with plays where there was a ton of space for him, and that on pretty much every run he had more yardage before than after contact.  He can be effective if given space to get to second level.  While he'll break an arm tackle, I see on a lot plays where he goes down pretty easily on first contact (kind of like of like a pinball).  Not great at keeping his feet underneath him, you can see him trip over his feet in the endzone after the aforementioned spin run against SDC.  

I certainly don't see a tape that demonstrates a high level of elusiveness for a NFL rb.   :shrug:

Dude get a life and stop trolling! All you do is provide a bunch of bull#### that no one wants to hear!

Your dumb ### is on ignore!

Tex

31 minutes ago, tone1oc said:

Not great at keeping his feet underneath him, you can see him trip over his feet in the endzone after the aforementioned spin run against SDC.  

:lol: wait after he runs through the defense into and through the endzone and starts his celebration by jumping into the air? then when he lands he stumbles a little - that's your concern on that play?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, tone1oc said:

We're definitely talking about an extremely small Pro sample size, but according to the Miami Herald article posted a few ago, the facts don't back up what you're saying...

"Sidelined the first seven games last season with a cracked rib, Ajayi rushed for 8.2 and 8.0 yards per carry on a combined 11 attempts in his first two games. But he fell off dramatically, averaging no more than 3.3 per carry in six of his final seven games and rushing for two yards on seven carries in the finale against New England.

But ESPN’s KC Joyner, who analyzed all of Ajayi’s 49 carries, tells me that pedestrian per-carry average is misleading. Joyner said Ajayi received bad blocking on 71 percent of his carries, among the highest (or worst) in the NFL. He averaged 1.9 yards per rush on those plays with poor blocking, better than the 1.2 league average.

When Ajayi got good blocking, he averaged 9.0 yards per carry, better than both Miller's and the league's "good blocking" average, Joyner said. With Miami’s offensive line seemingly improved, Ajayi’s per-carry average should get a boost.

The Dolphins believe he’s closer to the player who averaged 5.6 yards per carry at Boise State and was a beast in the red zone, with 50 touchdown runs. Gase likes his shiftiness and ability to make decisive cuts."

Hopefully with Tunsil and any other Oline additions, we see some improvements in the blocking for him, but I'm optimistic on Ajayi.  Just want Foster to stay the hell out of Miami & i might actually hit a homerun on a 2nd Round Rookie draft dynasty pick.

40 minutes ago, tone1oc said:

Me neither and I'm not trolling. But I also see small sample size and a guy who doesn't run away from contact. He has good feet and size for a rb. But again, I like the opportunity and his style more than I'm convinced that he's a stud. I drafted this guy on my 21th overall pick (last years rookie draft), so this is what I expect. A guy who is good enough that he will get a shot and while at it blow me away so I can brag about my incredible vision and nag of finding NFL-caliber running backs. Other option is that Foster will come and this kid will me remembered like C.Michaels- a lot of talk about nothing. Anyway, if I wouldn't own him, I would not jump on this guy on any draft too early, but would gladly take him on later rounds.

p.s. there's nothing bad about highlight reel were a guy runs with ton of space in front of him, especially when that line has only improved this season... that said I think I'm excited:thumbup:

Edited by Fireinside

13 minutes ago, BigTex said:

Dude get a life and stop trolling! All you do is provide a bunch of bull#### that no one wants to hear!

Your dumb ### is on ignore!

Tex

Even the skin is thinner in Texas!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dr. Octopus said:

:lol: wait after he runs through the defense into and through the endzone and starts his celebration by jumping into the air? then when he lands he stumbles a little - that's your concern on that play?

No I just cited it as an example of his poor footwork and as a bit of a dig, but I made completely valid points about that highlight package.  Nobody wants to argue that. 

13 minutes ago, tone1oc said:

No I just cited it as an example of his poor footwork and as a bit of a dig, but I made completely valid points about that highlight package.  Nobody wants to argue that. 

I would argue that. I disagree with almost everything you said you saw in it, I'm just sick of the stupid fighting in this thread and didn't want to wade in myself. 

18 minutes ago, tone1oc said:

yeah, I wonder why no one would want to have a serious discussion with you.

6 minutes ago, mcintyre1 said:

I would argue that. I disagree with almost everything you said you saw in it, I'm just sick of the stupid fighting in this thread and didn't want to wade in myself. 

I don't see analysis of highlight package that someone asked the thread to watch as fighting.   If you don't want to discuss, why jump in?  I'm sorry I don't think he is anything other than a JAG.   Even the analysis that he will be good with good blocking and was bad because of bad blocking is indicative of a capable, but ultimately a JAG.

Was I wrong about him gaining more yards before than after contact on pretty much every run in that highlight?  Was I wrong about him going down pretty easy in space in that highlight?  

Edited by tone1oc

8 minutes ago, tone1oc said:

I don't see analysis of highlight package that someone asked the thread to watch as fighting.   If you don't want to discuss, why jump in?  I'm sorry I don't think he is anything other than a JAG.   Even the analysis that he will be good with good blocking and was bad because of bad blocking is indicative of a capable, but ultimately a JAG.

Was I wrong about him gaining more yards before than after contact on pretty much every run in that highlight?  Was I wrong about him going down pretty easy in space in that highlight?  

Yes and yes. I'm not going to waste any more time "debating" with a guy who complained that a RB stumbled while celebrating a TD run and uses it to knock his "footwork." 

Edit to say, I got 3 plays into the video before I realized I'm wasting a colossal amount of time to argue with someone who seems to be trolling. For those first three plays I estimated:

Run 1: 2 yards before first contact 22 yards after

Run 2: 2 yards before contact, 4 yards after

Run 3: 0 yards before contact, 11 yards after

Edited by mcintyre1

Breakdown of Ajayi highlight tape: 3:46

0:00-0:49 - Introduction of highlight
0:50-0:56 - Beautiful blocking up front, one cut and go.  Doesn't get touched for about 20 yards, safety pushes him out of bounds at first contact. 
0:57-1:12 - Sweep right, blocking excellent, seals the edge.  Again doesn't get touched until a weak arm tackle about 3 yards from end zone where he had just enough balance to score. 
1:13-1:45 - This is by far his best play of the highlight, which they rightly showed 3 times.  He was able to keep his feet underneath him against some poor tackling.  The spin move seems a bit accidental, in that it appears inertia took him for a spin.  At any rate.  I'll give him credit for a nice run here, I'm not sure every NFL rb would make that play like every other play in highlight.
1:46-2:00 - Toss sweep left, great blocking once again, gets downhill and avoids the arm tackle from LB but is taken down immediately by safety.   
2:01-2:10 - Makes a nice cut up field as the DB had over pursued.  Was able to fall forward for a few extra yards, but again was taken down on first contact. 
2:11-2:16 - Another massive hole, able to power through a few arm tackles and makes a nice pickup.  Nothing to knock here, but nothing that is impressive.
2:17-2:21 - A screen pass with nothing but green field, gets knocked down from behind on first contact after nice yardage.
2:22-2:25 - Run up the middle where he was stuffed and able to get 2-3 yards. 
2:26-2:38 - Gettin' Hype footage
2:39-2:45 - Runs an angle route, wide open middle of the field, catches ball turns up field and his taken down by first defender.  He does get downhill and thus pickups a few extra yards.  
2:46-2:53 - Another wide open screen pass with great blocking in front of him, gets cut down by a DB on first contact.
2:54-3:01 - Sweep outside, blocking seals the edge is driven out of bounds by a DB on first contact.  Extra credit for keep his legs underneath him and getting a few extra yards.
3:02-3:22 - Getting hugs and sage advice from HC Dan Campbell.
3:23-3:46 - Roll the credits with a splattering of his pedestrian stats.

Does anyone else want to break it down and tell me where I'm wrong specifically?

Edited by tone1oc

26 minutes ago, mcintyre1 said:

Yes and yes. I'm not going to waste any more time "debating" with a guy who complained that a RB stumbled while celebrating a TD run and uses it to knock his "footwork." 

Edit to say, I got 3 plays into the video before I realized I'm wasting a colossal amount of time to argue with someone who seems to be trolling. For those first three plays I estimated:

Run 1: 2 yards before first contact 22 yards after

Run 2: 2 yards before contact, 4 yards after

Run 3: 0 yards before contact, 11 yards after

You say I'm trolling, but I'm not sure we are watching the same video..
Run 1:  WRONG!  You might be able to argue that the LB may have touched the back of his leg 7 yards up field.
Run 2: WRONG!  Touched about 7 yards up field, 3-4 yards from endzone.
Run 3:  I've given him credit on this run, but even so he does get 3-4 yards upfield before contact.  Nonetheless definitely got a lot of RAC on this play.  I said most, not all.

On May 23, 2016 at 7:07 PM, Borden said:

Being the tallest Muchkin might be good enough if Ajayi gets the volume and defenses focus on the Phins passing attack. 

Phins passing attack...bwaahhahahahahah. What passing attack?

That gave me a chuckle. For winning NFL games purposes.....they are one of the worst in the league. And that is not by accident. If Gase can turn Tannehill around (and this #### show of a team) this upcoming season I will be thrilled.

1 hour ago, tone1oc said:

Run 1:  WRONG!  You might be able to argue that the LB may have touched the back of his leg 7 yards up field.
Run 3:  I've given him credit on this run, but even so he does get 3-4 yards upfield before contact.  Nonetheless definitely got a lot of RAC on this play.  I said most, not all.

:yawn:

Just now, mcintyre1 said:

:yawn:

Zero substance, as per the usual.

I'll add a little more cold water, since you are so tired.  Take a look at Miami's schedule... 

Team  (2015 Total Defensive Ranking / 2015 Rushing Defense Ranking)
@ Seahawks (#1/#2)
@ Patriots (#9/#9)
vs Browns (#27/#30)
@ Bengals (#11/#7)
vs Titans (#12/#18)
vs Steelers (#21/#5)
vs Bills (#19/#16)
vs Jets (#4/#2)
vs Chargers (#20/#27)
@ Rams (#23/#20)
vs 49ers (#29/#29)
@ Ravens (#8/#12)
vs Cardinals (#5/#6)
@ Jets (#4/#2)
@ Bills (#19/#16)
vs Patriots (#9/#9)

He will be facing 8 teams in the top 10 and only 5 teams in the back half of rushing defense ranking for 2015..  Dolphins will be definitely be underdogs in 4 of their first 6, game flow will make it terribly hard for Ajayi to get the touches he would need for his inefficient run production.   

1 hour ago, tone1oc said:

Run 1: Contact at 2 yards past the LOS with the LDE who is clearly jerked backwards after trying to wrap him with an arm, landing around 3-4 yards past the line.

Run 2: LOS at about the 7 yard line, contact at about the 5, out of bounds around the 1. No idea what run you're talking about unless you're counting yardage from where he caught the pitch, which would be hilarious. I think the youtuber stole it from 52 seconds in to this video, which has the snap and clearly shows the LOS around the 7/7.5 yard line. 

Run 3: Contact at 1 yard from LOS, 11 yards after.  Given that the highlight video didn't have a clear LOS marker, I'm fairly happy with my original guesstimate. 

Come to think of it, all of your numbers start to make sense if you're counting from the point at which he gets the ball... You know that you only get credit for rushing yards past the line of scrimmage, right?

1 hour ago, Todem said:

Phins passing attack...bwaahhahahahahah. What passing attack?

That gave me a chuckle. For winning NFL games purposes.....they are one of the worst in the league. And that is not by accident. If Gase can turn Tannehill around (and this #### show of a team) this upcoming season I will be thrilled.

Gase has gotten a lot out of less to work with than he has right now.

Dolphins keep getting lucky with Tunsil, Jay and other good players falling to them in the draft. The offensive line may actually be a strength now.

I'm actually more concerned about the defense. The offense seems set up to be above average to good. Possibly really good as these WR develop a bit more.

20 minutes ago, mcintyre1 said:

Run 1: Contact at 2 yards past the LOS with the LDE who is clearly jerked backwards after trying to wrap him with an arm, landing around 3-4 yards past the line.

Run 2: LOS at about the 7 yard line, contact at about the 5, out of bounds around the 1. No idea what run you're talking about unless you're counting yardage from where he caught the pitch, which would be hilarious. I think the youtuber stole it from 52 seconds in to this video, which has the snap and clearly shows the LOS around the 7/7.5 yard line. 

Run 3: Contact at 1 yard from LOS, 11 yards after.  Given that the highlight video didn't have a clear LOS marker, I'm fairly happy with my original guesstimate. 

Come to think of it, all of your numbers start to make sense if you're counting from the point at which he gets the ball... You know that you only get credit for rushing yards past the line of scrimmage, right?

Run 1: He may have been slightly touched from behind after 5 yards, but certainly not any meaningful contact and any NFL RB would of ran through that.  I highly doubt a whoever keeps stats on YAC would count that.  http://imgur.com/iMVr5wY
Run 2: LOS was at the 8 yard line, was touched at about 3.5.  Even if you say 7, that play was designed to get him out in space and was all about the blockers.   He had 7 yards of open field.
Run 3: Like I said he first gets touched after about 3 yards.  No sane individual can watch that and say it was 0, as you did.

Even if I conceded the first two, I reviewed the whole tape and its more of exactly what I said. 

But to a larger point, this highlight package bores out my evaluation.  He can be an effective back if given space to get to the second level, he will have a ton of 0-2 yard gains and he has no home-run ability or ability to make lemonade out of lemons, so to speak.  

This tape is pedestrian, and you could cobble up a similar highlight for just about any NFL RB who gets 50+ touches.  Probably even Damien Williams.

Edited by tone1oc

23 minutes ago, tone1oc said:

Run 1: He may have been slightly touched from behind after 5 yards, but certainly not any meaningful contact and any NFL RB would of ran through that.  I highly doubt a whoever keeps stats on YAC would count that.  http://imgur.com/iMVr5wY
Run 2: LOS was at the 8 yard line, was touched at about 3.5.  Even if you say 7, that play was designed to get him out in space and was all about the blockers.   He had 7 yards of open field.
Run 3: Like I said he first gets touched after about 3 yards.  No sane individual can watch that and say it was 0, as you did.

Even if I conceded the first two, I reviewed the whole tape and its more of exactly what I said. 

But to a larger point, this highlight package bores out my evaluation.  He can be an effective back if given space to get to the second level, he will have a ton of 0-2 yard gains and he has no home-run ability or ability to make lemonade out of lemons, so to speak.  

This tape is pedestrian, and you could cobble up a similar highlight for just about any NFL RB who gets 50+ touches.  Probably even Damien Williams.

Oh look, I can make screenshots too! I don't know why you're counting at 5 when the the arm tackle attempt starts at 2

Gosh, that "7 yards of open field" sure filled up quickly.

And golly gee, he's just so far from the LOS that only a real nutter could think he was touched there without the benefit of a digital blue line. 

At first I thought Tex was being a bit too sensitive, but I'm starting to see where he's coming from in dealing with you. 

You were complaining that no one wanted to argue about your "completely valid points" -- There. Done. Argument had.

Some people disagree with you, deal with it.

Just now, mcintyre1 said:

Oh look, I can make screenshots too! I don't know why you're counting at 5 when the the arm tackle attempt starts at 2

Gosh, that "7 yards of open field" sure filled up quickly.

And golly gee, he's just so far from the LOS that only a real nutter could think he was touched there without the benefit of a digital blue line. 

At first I thought Tex was being a bit too sensitive, but I'm starting to see where he's coming from in dealing with you. 

You were complaining that no one wanted to argue about your "completely valid points" -- There. Done. Argument had.

Some people disagree with you, deal with it.

Run 1: The guy is fully engaged to a blocker possibly hits him in the back of the numbers with his off arm.  The hole was massive.
Run 2: Receives the pitch at the 12 (http://i.imgur.com/sX9j5Xb.png) arm tackle from behind around the 5 yard line (http://i.imgur.com/YrFQF0p.png) you do that math. 
Run 3: You can keep arguing all you want, but it wasn't zero as you said.  

The tape is still pedestrian.  Go to sleep.

Laremy Tunsil is going to make gaping holes and vast running lanes for   Miami RB's...

So lets just see what happens with Ajayi..its May .plenty of time to go..

• Like 1

21 hours ago, The Man With No Name said:

:no:    he goes down too often when he gets in the end zone

That's because he celebrates too much!

Running behind improved line, has enough skills and good vision.

I don't know why is anyone fighting over how good he is or are you just wondering if he's going to hall of fame? Maybe not, but this season looks pretty good to me and that's enough. Anyone who is saying it doesn't, is completely reading the situation wrong-PERIOD. If Foster comes in, might be a different case, but at the moment it's looking great. Coach is behind him, only one rookie to beat and the back ups aren't that good. I just don't get what is not to like? And if you don't like Jay, hop in the Drake-train and believe that the coach is saying things just for the fun of it. 

• Like 1

Dolphins coach Adam Gase wants Jay Ajayi to improve in the pass game.

"The routes are a little new for him. But the improvement we’re seeing is what we’re looking for. That’s going to be key," Gase said. Ajayi was an every-down workhorse in college, but didn’t play in a pro-style system and was active only nine games last year. Rookie Kenyan Drake is a threat for pass game snaps.

Source: dolphins.com 
Jun 4 - 8:30 PM

24 minutes ago, Faust said:

Here is a link to the article from two days ago.

Second-year running back  Jay Ajayi  has impressed his teammates and coaches with his hard-running style and even his shiftiness as a ball carrier, so the next step is showing consistent improvement in the passing game. That means both in his route running and ability to catch the ball. 

Head Coach Adam Gase says he has seen progress in each area. 

“I feel like the routes are something (that is) a little bit new for him, as far as what he did in college,” Gase said. “But the improvement we’re seeing every day is what we’re looking for. It’s just giving (him) that opportunity. The last period we did (Wednesday), there’s a lot of reps right there to where every little detail is important for him, because it might be the first time he has actually done it. We want him to keep improving. That’s going to be the key.” 

Ajayi has seven catches for 90 yards in nine games as a rookie in 2015. 

So the rest of that bit is the authors opinion.

Damien Williams is a proficient pass blocker and quite good as a receiving RB. Williams is likely more of a threat for 3rd down looks than Drake is, considering he actually knows how to block.

55 minutes ago, Biabreakable said:

Here is a link to the article from two days ago.

So the rest of that bit is the authors opinion.

Damien Williams is a proficient pass blocker and quite good as a receiving RB. Williams is likely more of a threat for 3rd down looks than Drake is, considering he actually knows how to block.

This has absolutely nothing to with Ajayi but could you get a picture/avatar/whatever? Please, for your ole buddy Borden? Even if it's just a solid color circle. It just helps me sort things in my tiny brain.