Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
workdog3

*** All aboard the J Train - Official Jay Ajayi Thread***

5 hours ago, Dr. Octopus said:

Dolphins coach Adam Gase made it sound like Arian Foster will be the team's No. 1 back this season.

Gase left little doubt Foster is being prepared to be the Dolphins' starter. "He is going to be working with the ones the whole training camp," Gase said. "His resume speaks for itself. I don’t think there’s any question why we brought him in here. He’s playing this year. Whether he’s the guy that will be the first snap of the game, I don't know, time will tell. He is going to be rolling with the ones." Jay Ajayi's setback with his knee has further solidified Foster's place atop the depth chart.

Fixed.

3 hours ago, Borden said:

"(Foster) is going to be working with the ones the whole training camp," Gase said, via the Miami Herald. "His resume speaks for itself. I don't think there's any question why we brought him in here. He's playing this year. Whether he's the guy that will be the first snap of the game, I don't know time will tell. He is going to be rolling with the ones."

Link

Fixed.

3 hours ago, Borden said:

Link

"Most bone bruises slowly heal over 2 to 4 months. A larger bone bruise may take longer to heal. You may not be able to return to sports activities for weeks or months."

Something is off here. Ajayi is saying he will be back as soon as the swelling goes down. Which would be a matter of days, not weeks or months. This would be less concerning for a player that wasn't missing a bunch of cartilage in his knees. He also said that he didn't notice it until after practice. Which means it likely wasn't a contact injury. 

Correct he and the coach said Jay will be practicing again in a couple days. I guess we will see if that is the case or not.

I don't know where you are getting this 2 to 4 months stuff from.

18 minutes ago, Hankmoody said:

Do you have any medical facts to cite or are you just making stuff up?

Ajayi fell in the draft because of bone on bone contact in his knee. Link I'm sure you can find many more about this "rumour" that actually caused him to fall in the draft.

What cause bone on bone in the knee? A quick google search will lead you to Osteoarthritis of the Knee (Degenerative Arthritis of the Knee) on WebMD Which says: Osteoarthritis, commonly known as wear-and-tear arthritis, is a condition in which the natural cushioning between joints -- cartilage -- wears away. When this happens, the bones of the joints rub more closely against one another with less of the shock-absorbing benefits of cartilage. The rubbing results in pain, swelling, stiffness, decreased ability to move and, sometimes, the formation of bone spurs.

de·gen·er·a·tive:     dəˈjenərədiv/  adjective   (of a disease or symptom) characterized by progressive, often irreversible deterioration, and loss of function in the organs or tissues.     "degenerative diseases"

There seems to be little options for repair: Per Wiki:

Surgery[edit]

If the impact of symptoms of OA on quality of life is significant and more conservative management is ineffective, joint replacement surgery or resurfacing may be recommended. Evidence supports joint replacement for both knees and hips as it is both clinically effective,[84][85] and cost-effective.[86][87]Surgery to transfer articular cartilage from a non-weight-bearing area to the damaged area is one possible procedure that has some success, but there are problems getting the transferred cartilage to integrate well with the existing cartilage at the transfer site.[88]

Osteotomy may be useful in people with knee osteoarthritis, but has not been well studied.[89] Arthroscopic surgery is largely not recommended, as it does not improve outcomes in knee osteoarthritis,[90][91] and may result in harm.[92]

This is where I got the 10-18 months for a graft. In the first paragraph you can read: However, when the knee cartilage becomes damaged, the damage can lead to progressive breakdown of the joint to the point where the cartilage tissue cannot heal properly.

Do I have access to confidential medical records of a NFL player (or anyone for that matter)? Of course not. However, I can't see any way that a medical staff would not be concerned about a player with this "rumoured" medical issue would not be concerned about a "bone bruise" on his knee. Could it be possible that it's nothing? Of course. Are his knees going to give out? Yes. Given the information that we have, the logical conclusion is that Ajayi has some form of osteoarthritis of the knee and it's just a matter of when it deteriorates to the point where he can't play.

1 hour ago, Borden said:

Sorry. Thank you for clearing that up. 

Yes, you are right. That's what I was saying too, basically. That him claiming this is just a "bone bruise" and he will be fine is not true. This is the point that medical staffs were worried about. The cartilage in his knee may have been able to hold up longer but it didn't. The worst part is that it's going to get worse and worse. It's not going to be occasional chronic pain and swelling. There is cartilage grafts available but it's a 10-18 month full recovery cycle. Plus, there's the chance the graft doesn't take. 

At this point there's very little hope for Ajayi as a fantasy option. He is not a special enough player. He's a guy I liked if he could be a workhorse back. Foster is irrelevant at this point because Ajayi isn't a guy that can just roll into a game and maybe crack off some big plays. I feel he could've been a capable and stable starter but needed volume, which he never get because his knee won't hold up. 

If he does get the surgery and it does take, he's still a year removed with injury concerns. Then he will have to fight his way back up a depth chart after a year off. And while I like him, he's not good enough to force his way into a workhorse role. Which means we are talking about sitting on a guy for a year (and we don't even know when/if that surgery happens) then have to wait for him to, likely at best, be in a time share. 

It would be nice if I was a bigger scumbag and I would try to move him now. 

He didn't injure the same knee that had surgery. So this speculation about this being the same injury from four (five?) years ago is incorrect.

He does not need surgery. Geez. The jumping to conclusions without complete or accurate information in this thread is out of hand.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Biabreakable said:

Correct he and the coach said Jay will be practicing again in a couple days. I guess we will see if that is the case or not.

I don't know where you are getting this 2 to 4 months stuff from.

It's in the link at the top of the post. 

Here's another:  For a bone bruise that's visible on MRI, it usually takes at least two months for the injury to heal completely. Some bone bruises take a whole year to heal, but that's in rare cases only. You need to relax and get a lot of rest during the healing phase. Athletes should consider working with a personal trainer to understand how they can avoid getting hit again on the same area.

Another: The recovery time for a bone bruise seen on MRI is typically two to three months.

3 minutes ago, Biabreakable said:

There is no basis for the link about medical information about the bruise.

It was not the same knee.

You are welcome.

I was referencing about bone bruises to show that it likely wasn't a bone bruise.

Yeah Gase says they were worried it might have been more serious than it turned out to be.

You never really know until you know. I am not going to try to be a doctor or read into the attitude of Jay or the coach about its severity.

If he is back in a couple days then he is back in a couple days. If it takes longer then obviously it is more serious than that.

It was not the same knee that was injured many years ago.

I wish people would read and listen before spouting off.

Roto's misquote all over the web now. Nice journalism there.

6 minutes ago, Biabreakable said:

Yeah Gase says they were worried it might have been more serious than it turned out to be.

You never really know until you know. I am not going to try to be a doctor or read into the attitude of Jay or the coach about its severity.

If he is back in a couple days then he is back in a couple days. If it takes longer then obviously it is more serious than that.

It was not the same knee that was injured many years ago.

I wish people would read and listen before spouting off.

Roto's misquote all over the web now. Nice journalism there.

Why bother posting in a forum if you're not going to try and be ahead of the curve? Why bother trying to predict stats? Nobody knows that until it happens either. You have to try and read whatever information is given to you to try and make predictions. That is the basis of fantasy football. If you're the one that is waiting until everything has already happened then you are too late.

The thing with Ajayi's rumoured knee issue is that it isn't an ACL that's suddenly going to go. It will be an issue that creeps up. And if it does it's a very serious issue. I like Ajayi but when these warning lights keep going off, we should probably start at least listening.

I posted all of the information I could find on the incident yesterday in this thread. I guess you didn't bother to read it. That is frustrating.

Then because you didn't read it you start bringing misinformation to the thread. Hows that for being ahead of the curve?

No one really knows what Jay's previous injury long term prognosis is. That is all speculation from silly season leading up to the draft. There was misinformation about that as well. Reports were that teams evaluated Jay's knee on a day that he was not even there at the combine. I linked that in here previously as well. 

Mike Mayock said it was bone on bone and then many cite that as if it is gospel.

Jays recent injury was not to the same knee. 

His recent bruise to his left knee happened when he made contact with another player during practice Sunday.

• Like 1

I have been wrong many times but not often on the team I root for. 

Jay Ajayi was never going to be more than a bump in the road for the Phins IMHO...the RBs traditionally that have worked out here played elsewhere first. This team is horrific at drafting to begin with but they really stink when it comes to RBs. 

Ricky Williams was a Saint 

Reggie Bush was a Saint

Lamar Smith was a Saint

If you didn't make a stop in New Orleans before arriving in Miami, no good. 

Seriously though, Ajayi was a 5th round pick, bad injury and we were going to sit on him, very few touches last year, very little flash exhibited last year, very little to think Ajayi was ever going to be a stud even if he was a defacto No 1 because Miami ran Lamar Miller out of town. We did draft Miller in the 4th but we couldn't see any talent so we let him walk...you have to respect this organization's ability to evaluate talent and make the tough decisions...:sarcasm:

1 hour ago, Biabreakable said:

I posted all of the information I could find on the incident yesterday in this thread. I guess you didn't bother to read it. That is frustrating.

Then because you didn't read it you start bringing misinformation to the thread. Hows that for being ahead of the curve?

No one really knows what Jay's previous injury long term prognosis is. That is all speculation from silly season leading up to the draft. There was misinformation about that as well. Reports were that teams evaluated Jay's knee on a day that he was not even there at the combine. I linked that in here previously as well. 

Mike Mayock said it was bone on bone and then many cite that as if it is gospel.

Jays recent injury was not to the same knee. 

His recent bruise to his left knee happened when he made contact with another player during practice Sunday.

No I didn't read it. That's my fault. Sorry. 

So, what's your stance on the Foster "rolling with the ones"? This isn't an attack on you, I just didn't hear you weigh in on that. (Even though I am pissed off about missing that it was the other knee). :D

5 hours ago, Borden said:

I was referencing about bone bruises to show that it likely wasn't a bone bruise.

5 hours ago, Borden said:

Ajayi fell in the draft because of bone on bone contact in his knee. Link I'm sure you can find many more about this "rumour" that actually caused him to fall in the draft.

What cause bone on bone in the knee? A quick google search will lead you to Osteoarthritis of the Knee (Degenerative Arthritis of the Knee) on WebMD Which says: Osteoarthritis, commonly known as wear-and-tear arthritis, is a condition in which the natural cushioning between joints -- cartilage -- wears away. When this happens, the bones of the joints rub more closely against one another with less of the shock-absorbing benefits of cartilage. The rubbing results in pain, swelling, stiffness, decreased ability to move and, sometimes, the formation of bone spurs.

de·gen·er·a·tive:     dəˈjenərədiv/  adjective   (of a disease or symptom) characterized by progressive, often irreversible deterioration, and loss of function in the organs or tissues.     "degenerative diseases"

There seems to be little options for repair: Per Wiki:

This is where I got the 10-18 months for a graft. In the first paragraph you can read: However, when the knee cartilage becomes damaged, the damage can lead to progressive breakdown of the joint to the point where the cartilage tissue cannot heal properly.

Do I have access to confidential medical records of a NFL player (or anyone for that matter)? Of course not. However, I can't see any way that a medical staff would not be concerned about a player with this "rumoured" medical issue would not be concerned about a "bone bruise" on his knee. Could it be possible that it's nothing? Of course. Are his knees going to give out? Yes. Given the information that we have, the logical conclusion is that Ajayi has some form of osteoarthritis of the knee and it's just a matter of when it deteriorates to the point where he can't play.

So you have no medical facts to base your comments on and are speculating. Gotcha.

All the love for Arian Foster is depressing Ajayi's value, which makes him a great buy-low candidate. You just know that even if Foster wins the starting job he won't hold up for more than a few weeks before getting hurt, and then it's AJAYI TIME, baby!

Here's my problem at the moment with Jay and the only reason I sold him.

As I said before, it's not like I don't like Jay, it just that after Foster came to in, I think they will share touches. I had to deal with Anderson and Hillman... this kind of reminds that situation. I think Foster will be used some and then J-train and you never know who will give you points in the long run. Some games it's jay doing the TD work and next week it's Foster on the one yard line. So I don't think it's a marathon, other than "injury waiting to happen-marathon" and there  are lot of those situations cheaper elsewhere.  

If you listen to Gase, the offensive coordinator and the running backs coach, they don't want a RBBC. They want one guy to be their primary starter. So whoever that is should be useful. 

1 hour ago, Biabreakable said:

If you listen to Gase, the offensive coordinator and the running backs coach, they don't want a RBBC. They want one guy to be their primary starter. So whoever that is should be useful. 

Yep.  And the coaches have only compared one of the guys to Matt Forte.  Guess which one?

1 hour ago, Alex P Keaton said:

Yep.  And the coaches have only compared one of the guys to Matt Forte.  Guess which one?

Damien Williams?

1 hour ago, Alex P Keaton said:

There is only one RB with enough of a track record that could be compared to Forte which is Arian Foster. I heard coach Gase making the comparison and he was talking about how good Foster is as a receiver, for further context about the comparison.

Guess who Ryan Riddle compares Jay Ajayi to after first watching him? 

47 minutes ago, The Man With No Name said:

(USA Today Fantasy Sports) Miami Dolphins RB Jay Ajayi has a good opportunity to make a statement in the preseason game Friday, Aug. 12, with veteran RB Arian Foster to sit.

Huh.   If Ajayi is so important, you would think the Phins would sit him, rather than Foster.  Foster sits because he is more important to the team, and as a veteran (with brains), they already trust that they can count on him to deliver when it matters.

I see this as a bad sign for Ajayi.

6 minutes ago, Alex P Keaton said:

Huh.   If Ajayi is so important, you would think the Phins would sit him, rather than Foster.  Foster sits because he is more important to the team, and as a veteran (with brains), they already trust that they can count on him to deliver when it matters.

I see this as a bad sign for Ajayi.

You are just seeing what you want to see then.

Obviously Jay Ajayi needs more real game experience for a realistic evaluation of him. They don't need to see Foster in games as his track record speaks for itself.

I don't see this as a bad sign for Foster, he will get playing time as long as he is healthy. 

What the coaches have said all along is that they wont make decisions on who the starters are until some time in preseason, I assume that would mean before the 3rd preseason game. They might not play Foster in the preseason at all, healthy or not. Your stretching things to interpret that as a bad sign for Jay that he is getting the opportunity to prove he deserves to be the starter.

25 minutes ago, Biabreakable said:

You are just seeing what you want to see then.

Obviously Jay Ajayi needs more real game experience for a realistic evaluation of him. They don't need to see Foster in games as his track record speaks for itself.

I don't see this as a bad sign for Foster, he will get playing time as long as he is healthy. 

What the coaches have said all along is that they wont make decisions on who the starters are until some time in preseason, I assume that would mean before the 3rd preseason game. They might not play Foster in the preseason at all, healthy or not. Your stretching things to interpret that as a bad sign for Jay that he is getting the opportunity to prove he deserves to be the starter.

I agree, I don't think it means anything other than they are resting a known veteran.   For Ajayi, you can look at is as an opportunity for him or that he's just a tackling dummy while Foster rests.  I think it's more of the former, but I still do not believe Ajayi will beat out Foster for primary touches. 

It will be one of the most interesting things for me to watch in week 1 of preseason.  We're a few weeks away from this situation shaking out Bia, you've done a good job of holding on to the roller coaster throughout this offseason.

• Like 1

As an Ajayi owner, I was hoping that Foster would play.  Knowing that he will eventually breakdown (my opinion), rather see it sooner that later. 

Hey if Foster is fully healthy we know he is great. No shame in that if Foster is the primary RB week 1 regular season. I do think there will be a primary RB. The coaches have stated very clearly that is what they want. The RB coach did say that RBBC was an option if they had to resort to it, but that this is not ideal.

Jay Ajayi could certainly face plant with his opportunity to prove himself. I have been hearing the defensive line has been winning all throughout camp. We will just have to see how that goes. I believe in Jay's talent to shine, we will just have to see if he does or not though.

In a recent practice a lot of folks were praising Jay for being able to bring in a dirt ball reception from RT. Some other indications that he has been doing well as a receiver besides this play. I think that is shutting up some of the criticism of this aspect of Jay's skill set. Hopefully that continues. If you watch the Ryan Riddle and Matt Waldman video I posted in here awhile back, you hear Riddle saying some really positive things about Jay as a receiver, he does not drop passes. He took some pretty big hits and holds on to the ball anyways. He is pretty good in this area.

That doesn't mean he is as good as Foster is as a receiver, few are, but Jay is good in this area I think and that is an important aspect for him to be the primary starter.

I am actually more worried about Jays pass protection than anything else. I don't think they will want to ask Foster to do that too much. They are going to try to take it easy with him and maybe he has more of a pass down specialist role than a starter role as part of the plan to keep him healthy all season. Again.. we will just have to see how that shakes out. I could see a scenario where Foster is used in more of a COP role however, despite what the coaches have said about wanting to have a feature RB who does everything well.

Lots of different ways this could play out. I believe in Jay Ajayi's talent and I just picked him again in recent draft ongoing.

Edited by Biabreakable

Playing means having a chance to succeed.  It's good news for ajayi in the sense that he has a chance to be awesome if he is in fact awesome and that could win him the job.  It's bad news in the sense that if he's not awesome, he is competing with a guy who is presumed awesome, so the bar for success is really high.   And every snap increases the chance he gets hurt.  

If anything we should start to get some clarity the next couple weeks 

3 hours ago, djjosee said:

As an Ajayi owner, I was hoping that Foster would play.  Knowing that he will eventually breakdown (my opinion), rather see it sooner that later. 

Very true.  Every game he plays is like a 1-in-4 chance that Foster gets injured and is out for the year.

3 hours ago, Biabreakable said:

Hey if Foster is fully healthy we know he is great. No shame in that if Foster is the primary RB week 1 regular season. I do think there will be a primary RB. The coaches have stated very clearly that is what they want. The RB coach did say that RBBC was an option if they had to resort to it, but that this is not ideal.

Jay Ajayi could certainly face plant with his opportunity to prove himself. I have been hearing the defensive line has been winning all throughout camp. We will just have to see how that goes. I believe in Jay's talent to shine, we will just have to see if he does or not though.

In a recent practice a lot of folks were praising Jay for being able to bring in a dirt ball reception from RT. Some other indications that he has been doing well as a receiver besides this play. I think that is shutting up some of the criticism of this aspect of Jay's skill set. Hopefully that continues. If you watch the Ryan Riddle and Matt Waldman video I posted in here awhile back, you hear Riddle saying some really positive things about Jay as a receiver, he does not drop passes. He took some pretty big hits and holds on to the ball anyways. He is pretty good in this area.

That doesn't mean he is as good as Foster is as a receiver, few are, but Jay is good in this area I think and that is an important aspect for him to be the primary starter.

I am actually more worried about Jays pass protection than anything else. I don't think they will want to ask Foster to do that too much. They are going to try to take it easy with him and maybe he has more of a pass down specialist role than a starter role as part of the plan to keep him healthy all season. Again.. we will just have to see how that shakes out. I could see a scenario where Foster is used in more of a COP role however, despite what the coaches have said about wanting to have a feature RB who does everything well.

Lots of different ways this could play out. I believe in Jay Ajayi's talent and I just picked him again in recent draft ongoing.

Good stuff.

Jay Ajayi rushed two times for six yards and failed to haul in either of his two targets in the Dolphins' preseason opener.
With Arian Foster on the sidelines, Ajayi could have put his stamp on the running back competition with a solid showing. He did the opposite, with the lowlight of the night coming when he batted a fairly easy catch straight into the air. The ball eventually landed in the arms of a Giants linebacker, but, luckily for Ajayi, the defender was out of bounds. Ajayi's struggles in the passing game were chief among the reasons Foster was brought in, and his showing Friday night did nothing to allay those concerns. Aug 12 - 9:52 PM

Don't sleep on Damien Williams. Kid looked very good last night.

Nothing is clear cut at all in this backfield. It will be a quandary. 

1 hour ago, Todem said:

Don't sleep on Damien Williams. Kid looked very good last night.

Nothing is clear cut at all in this backfield. It will be a quandary. 

I'm not sure I would say "very good."

I mean, he had 7 carries and gained 13 yards.

He did have a nice 6 yard run against the backup D.

1 hour ago, mcd said:

I'm not sure I would say "very good."

I mean, he had 7 carries and gained 13 yards.

He did have a nice 6 yard run against the backup D.

Not so much the yards. He looked swift, healthy and confident. Hit the holes where the play was designed to go.

He would bounce everything outside as a rookie. He looks vastly improved and I can see him being a huge sleeper in getting significant playing time in that backfield.  Like I said don't sleep on him.

That running back core is a huge huge ??? Coming into the season and for fantasy purposes will probably be a mess. OL is still a huge mess IMO. 

Ajayi is no shoe in at all. Not even close.

If (and this is a big if) Foster is healthy he will clearly (to me) be the lead guy. The Dolphins would love to hit on that cheap pick up of a former All-Pro proven 3 down back.

if he can't stay on the field you will see plenty of Williams IMO.

Edited by Todem

Swift, healthy and confident is what gets someone rave reviews? Not to pick on you, but how do you know he hit the holes the way they were designed?
I'm staying away from the Dolphins backfield but there is a lot of hate for Ajayi. You would think he is a 35 yo sitting behind Adrian Peterson.

Williams TD run was outside to the left. Great block by the WR on the outside and another block on the LB to create that lane. No idea what the safety was doing, but whatever it was he was too late, Williams walked in untouched.

I like Williams but I don't think he runs inside nearly as well as Jay does, and any RB should be able to score on that play with that blocking.

Still he made the most of his opportunities as did Pead with his. I don't think Jay did that. No player is going to be allowed to keep making mistakes in real games. If he doesn't catch the ball consistently enough Jay's opportunities to do that will dry up.

I didn't see the play that he popped up in the air to be able to tell what happened there. If anyone has a vine or video clip of that I would like to see the play, I am not sure how bad it was, was it poor catching technique on his part? Was it an off target throw? I am not sure. I do know.he can't do that in real games.

His run inside looked good, so there is that.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Biabreakable said:

Williams TD run was outside to the left. Great block by the WR on the outside and another block on the LB to create that lane. No idea what the safety was doing, but whatever it was he was too late, Williams walked in untouched.

I like Williams but I don't think he runs inside nearly as well as Jay does, and any RB should be able to score on that play with that blocking.

Still he made the most of his opportunities as did Pead with his. I don't think Jay did that. No player is going to be allowed to keep making mistakes in real games. If he doesn't catch the ball consistently enough Jay's opportunities to do that will dry up.

I didn't see the play that he popped up in the air to be able to tell what happened there. If anyone has a vine or video clip of that I would like to see the play, I am not sure how bad it was, was it poor catching technique on his part? Was it an off target throw? I am not sure. I do know.he can't do that in real games.

I feel like Ajayi didn't really get much opportunity to show himself this game so I'm not judging much based on it, but the popped up ball was pretty bad. It was a pretty well placed ball that hit him right in both of his hands, just popped straight up about 6 feet and then came down to the LB who landed with his toes out of bounds. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WheelsUp said:

Swift, healthy and confident is what gets someone rave reviews? Not to pick on you, but how do you know he hit the holes the way they were designed?
I'm staying away from the Dolphins backfield but there is a lot of hate for Ajayi. You would think he is a 35 yo sitting behind Adrian Peterson.

I have no hate for Ajayi just an observational post.

Again I said this will not be a great fantasy situation unless one emerges. Probability of that is tough to say. But Williams is hungry and I think is a guy to watch here in pre-season.

He has had a solid camp.

Edited by Todem

43 minutes ago, Biabreakable said:

Good break down. Thanks. 

11 minutes ago, mcintyre1 said:

Based on that screen shot the ball looks a little bit high, Jay only has one foot on the ground so he is elevating for the ball., his hand placement looks fine from what I can see, it sort of looks like he may be anticipating trying to turn upfield after the catch (if he would have made it).

I still haven't seen the play fully. Just based on what I see in the still shot. Thanks for sharing mcintyre1.

23 minutes ago, Biabreakable said:

Based on that screen shot the ball looks a little bit high, Jay only has one foot on the ground so he is elevating for the ball., his hand placement looks fine from what I can see, it sort of looks like he may be anticipating trying to turn upfield after the catch (if he would have made it).

I still haven't seen the play fully. Just based on what I see in the still shot. Thanks for sharing mcintyre1.

You're over analyzing. Both hands on the ball has to be a catch. He has to stretch but that's a very catchable ball.

Edit: We are discussing one play. We might be crazy people. :D 

Edited by Borden
  • Like 2

Of course it is over analyzing. It is just one play. I suppose I could go do the dishes. :)

I still haven't seen the full play either, so I am dealing with incomplete information as well. I agree with you the pass is catchable, it also looks a bit high I think and better placement would have been to lead him to the outside.

His left foot looks like it still has contact with the ground, but the right foot does not, so I am not sure if he is trying to elevate for the ball or is just anticipating swinging his right leg around so he can get north/south, or perhaps he is doing both. I can't really tell without seeing the full play. In any case he puts himself in some awkward positioning at the catch point and maybe he doesn't time things right.

You are discussing one play in a preseason game to be exact and we are all crazy people. The over analyzing of everything in anticipation of our drafts is agonizing.