Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
workdog3

*** All aboard the J Train - Official Jay Ajayi Thread***

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 3:19 PM, Biabreakable said:

Of course it is over analyzing. It is just one play. I suppose I could go do the dishes. :)

I still haven't seen the full play either, so I am dealing with incomplete information as well. I agree with you the pass is catchable, it also looks a bit high I think and better placement would have been to lead him to the outside.

His left foot looks like it still has contact with the ground, but the right foot does not, so I am not sure if he is trying to elevate for the ball or is just anticipating swinging his right leg around so he can get north/south, or perhaps he is doing both. I can't really tell without seeing the full play. In any case he puts himself in some awkward positioning at the catch point and maybe he doesn't time things right.

Every pass isn't going to 100% perfect, right on the money accurate. He needs to be able to catch passes that are "a bit high"...

Dolphins Homer/camp report here on RB situation currently:

Arian Foster will be your starter if he is healthy...no doubt about it.

Ajayi to play every 3rd to 4th series. Game flow will dictate.

Damian Williams in on obvious passing down situations (3rd and long) as he is by far the best pass blocker and has great hands (Foster is great too but Williams is great in pass protection). 

If Foster goes down Ajayi and Williams RBBC. Remains to be seen to if Pead can make the team. Battling with Drake. 

That is pretty much the buzz down here in Davie, FL

2 hours ago, Warrior said:

Every pass isn't going to 100% perfect, right on the money accurate. He needs to be able to catch passes that are "a bit high"...

Agreed.

11 minutes ago, Todem said:

Dolphins Homer/camp report here on RB situation currently:

Arian Foster will be your starter if he is healthy...no doubt about it.

Ajayi to play every 3rd to 4th series. Game flow will dictate.

Damian Williams in on obvious passing down situations (3rd and long) as he is by far the best pass blocker and has great hands (Foster is great too but Williams is great in pass protection). 

If Foster goes down Ajayi and Williams RBBC. Remains to be seen to if Pead can make the team. Battling with Drake. 

That is pretty much the buzz down here in Davie, FL

Todem,

Could you describe what your observations of Jay Ajayi have been during camp?

Copious details. What is he doing well? What is he not doing well?

How does the offensive line look?

I respect your opinion. I would like to hear more about the how and why. Who is practicing with what team, what kind of plays they are running and how successful have those plays been.

For the most part based on what I have read the offensive line has been losing to the defense more often than not. True?

Jay has looked solid when he has practiced. He has been battling nagging stuff (brusied knee). He is a bull of a runner. Very capable pass catcher, weak in pass protection so far. Our OL is an abortion. Plain and simple they are getting man handled almost every day. We are in big trouble yet again along the OL. And Tannehill is going to have to step up and avoid pressure. His footwork is still a huge issue for me. Half his sacks are on him. 

Foster ran a full week with the starters when Ajayi had the bone bruise.....and he looked dominant. Looked like the starter to me come opening day. 

Ajayi needs to really look better than Foster if he wants that job....thus far in practice he has not. The buzz flying around camp is Ajayi is #1 on the depth chart.....but Foster is expected to take that job health permitting. So far Foster looks healthy and ready to resume being a starting RB in the NFL. That is what I see. If he does win the gig, expect Ajayi to get 6-9 touches a week in a back up role. Of course the way games go will also dictate what happens. 

But the Dolphins signed Foster to win the starting job....make no mistake about it. The Fins want Foster to be the guy this year. Also remember they tried to grab C.J Anderson and failed. I really don't think they view Ajayi as a long term answer and more of a back up type of player. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Biabreakable said:

I didn't want to hear parts of that, but thanks for your comments and opinion Todem.

Sorry to bear some bad news for Ajayi owners...but those are things that are looking quite strong and entrenched in reality. If Foster goes down then you got something. And the chances on Foster staying healthy are not high based on recent history. He seems to have hit the wall physically as most RB's do at 29/30 years old. Lot's of wear and tear on that body. What has hurt Ajayi though is his inability to stay healthy as well. He has not had a healthy camp yet. Hard to get ahead when your always working from behind.

Agreed that the health is a concern.

I have long thought that Jay's receiving ability was a strength of his skill set, but based on what I have been hearing from camp, and what he did in most recent preseason game, has me doubting that. At the same time I would like to know why this is no longer a strength, if that is indeed the case.

What do you think about Jay's hands and catching technique? Does he drop passes often?

What about his route running?

Maybe a way to approach this is, what does Foster do well as a receiver that Jay does not?

Is what Jay is doing as a receiver coachable? Or are there intrinsic flaws that are not?

2 hours ago, Biabreakable said:

Agreed that the health is a concern.

I have long thought that Jay's receiving ability was a strength of his skill set, but based on what I have been hearing from camp, and what he did in most recent preseason game, has me doubting that. At the same time I would like to know why this is no longer a strength, if that is indeed the case.

What do you think about Jay's hands and catching technique? Does he drop passes often?

What about his route running?

Maybe a way to approach this is, what does Foster do well as a receiver that Jay does not?

Is what Jay is doing as a receiver coachable? Or are there intrinsic flaws that are not?

Ajayi can catch...I would consider his hands average. Foster has soft hands and is a great pass catching back. It;s not a coachable thing. You either have soft hands or you don't. Can backs get better? Yeah...but the natural ability of soft hands is god given more so than a coaching up thing. First you need the god given soft hands. What you coach up is route running, and the ability to slip into the flats, proper timing in getting screens set up etc. 

Foster is a better back. That much is certain. But he is older and injury prone so I still think Ajayi will have plenty of chances to get some great playing time. But the Dolphins are not convinced he is "the guy" at this point. In all fairness to Ajayi, he has not been on the field enough to show a lot. I think it is really important for him to have a strong pre-season to take those doubts away from the coaching staff. It's all about trust in sports. Do the coaches trust you. They already trust a healthy Arian Foster. Ajayi has a hill to climb to win that starting job. Should be interesting to see what happens in the third pre-season game (dress rehearsal). 

Remember when Knowshon Moreno started the season two years ago as the #1 tailback? I knew in my heart of hearts it was Lamar's time...but the coaches did not trust him. Second year back at the time (Lamar Miller) and Moreno had a load more veteran experience. Well.....Knowshon blew his knee out and the door opened for Lamar and he ran with it.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Ajayi will get that chance. He just needs to take advantage of it if the opportunity presents itself. Right now he is being beaten out in camp IMO. Time will tell. We still have 2 more weeks for this to really come into clear focus of who will be the lead dog.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 1

Jumping into this thread late so I apologize if I'm just being redundant...

but to me it's super obvious: the Dolphins signed foster to be the lead guy if he's healthy.  Ajayi is his backup.  What has Ajayi done in the NFL compared to foster?  Compared to anyone?

if healthy it's fosters job to lose.  The coach speak also confirms this.  They are very high on foster 

4 hours ago, Todem said:

I find this surprising, at least as long as Foster is healthy. If Foster is healthy and presumably playing well, you seem to be saying that he will be out in favor of Williams on all obvious passing downs. Is that what you are expecting?

To put it another way, it seems at this point in his career that Foster might deliver more value in the passing game than in the running game, especially given the negative comments on the OL. At least that's what we saw last season from him. Yet he might be out on obvious passing downs?

Furthermore, wasn't Gase quoted as saying multiple times that he wants a RB who will play all downs? This would seem to contradict that, no?

A year ago when there was quite a bit of talk about Adrian Peterson's poor pass blocking technique, Norv Truner said some interesting things about not wanting to put their RBs in a position where they will have to block defensive linemen or linebackers. He talked about it in the sense of the pass blocking assignment being a collision, and that they want to limit the number of times they ask Peterson to do this.

Now it might just be a nice way of saying Peterson is no good at pass blocking, but I think there is something more to this. I dunno what do you all think about snap management in regards to pass blocking assignments for specific formations and play calls? Does it make sense to have a reserve player take some of these pass blocking assignments over more skilled RB in the passing game?

I guess that would depend somewhat on the probability for the play requiring the RB to help against the blitz as well.

Foster has been good in pass protection, but maybe that is a way to manage his snaps, by using Williams or Jay in situations where they expect the RB to need to block.

You are correct that this contradicts what they ideally want, which are players who can play in any down and distance situation, and are good in all 3 of these areas, running, blocking, catching the ball.

Edited by Biabreakable

31 minutes ago, Biabreakable said:

Foster has been good in pass protection, but maybe that is a way to manage his snaps, by using Williams or Jay in situations where they expect the RB to need to block.

I think this theory makes sense, as long as it doesn't become predictable for the defense.

1 hour ago, Just Win Baby said:

I think this theory makes sense, as long as it doesn't become predictable for the defense.

Right. Gase has said he wants the RB who starts the drive to finish the drive.

He has also said he will listen to the trainers and sports science guys in regards to snap management for Foster. So these two goals may not be aligned.

I guess I could see some rotation situationaly, and maybe for the purpose of spelling a RB when pass protection is their key assignment as part of that, but I would expect Gase to keep the RB who starts the drive to stay in for the drive more than I would expect substitution based on 3rd downs.

The RB coach mentioned they were open to all options but ideally they want one RB to be their primary guy and for all of their RB to be useful in all situations. The OC and Gase both said the same things about it. They have a consensus that is against substitutions during drives.

Part of that is because they want to be up tempo. I was reading something Faust posted a day or so back talking about Gase running hurry up no huddle 29% of the time which is a lot more than most coaches besides Chip Kelly do. The average amount of HUNH was only like 10 percent or less across the league. You can't get the plays called as fast when you are substituting players.

Edited by Biabreakable

3 hours ago, Just Win Baby said:

I find this surprising, at least as long as Foster is healthy. If Foster is healthy and presumably playing well, you seem to be saying that he will be out in favor of Williams on all obvious passing downs. Is that what you are expecting?

To put it another way, it seems at this point in his career that Foster might deliver more value in the passing game than in the running game, especially given the negative comments on the OL. At least that's what we saw last season from him. Yet he might be out on obvious passing downs?

Furthermore, wasn't Gase quoted as saying multiple times that he wants a RB who will play all downs? This would seem to contradict that, no?

In practice I am seeing a lot of Williams on 3rd and long situational type downs. Not saying Arian won't be in on passing downs. But 3 and longs (think 3rd & 8 and higher) you may see Williams more than you would think because he is fantastic in pass protection and this OL is hot garbage.

Foster will be more effective as a pass catcher at this stage of career. But they still want to see if he can the guy to tote it as well. 

1 hour ago, Biabreakable said:

Right. Gase has said he wants the RB who starts the drive to finish the drive.

He has also said he will listen to the trainers and sports science guys in regards to snap management for Foster. So these two goals may not be aligned.

I guess I could see some rotation situationaly, and maybe for the purpose of spelling a RB when pass protection is their key assignment as part of that, but I would expect Gase to keep the RB who starts the drive to stay in for the drive more than I would expect substitution based on 3rd downs.

The RB coach mentioned they were open to all options but ideally they want one RB to be their primary guy and for all of their RB to be useful in all situations. The OC and Gase both said the same things about it. They have a consensus that is against substitutions during drives.

Part of that is because they want to be up tempo. I was reading something Faust posted a day or so back talking about Gase running hurry up no huddle 29% of the time which is a lot more than most coaches besides Chip Kelly do. The average amount of HUNH was only like 10 percent or less across the league. You can't get the plays called as fast when you are substituting players.

Wha they want is great. Problem is....they don't have the personel in the trenches yet. This is a huge rebuild along the OL. It's bad man.

Not to say the NFL has this type of control over a franchise but I'm sure they would very much like to market a London born star as they play more games overseas and make a push for a permanent franchise in the U.K.  

Seems to be a lot of marketing of Ajayi. 

On 8/15/2016 at 9:35 PM, Todem said:

Wha they want is great. Problem is....they don't have the personel in the trenches yet. This is a huge rebuild along the OL. It's bad man.

Yeah the offensive line sounds like it still sucks.

Here is the article talking about the frequency that teams use no huddle.

Even though the offensive line is bad, I still expect the Dolphins to have 1050 total plays, and for rushing attempts to be 380-400 for the RBs. Total rushing attempts being about 450.

So I drafted this guy in dynasty based pretty much on FBG DD rating. Haven't watched him play this season. Does he look like a total bum? Sounds like Miami ground game in general is just crap. If he really is as bad as people are saying I'm gonna try to unload him to Foster owner or to anyone willing to bite once Foster starts missing time.

28 minutes ago, TripItUp said:

A bat has better field vision than Ajayi.

A jelly fish has stronger tendons than Foster.

2 minutes ago, spider321 said:

A jelly fish has stronger tendons than Foster.

A jelly fish doesn't have tendons, kind of like Jay Ajayi doesn't have any talent. 

20 minutes ago, tombonneau said:

So I drafted this guy in dynasty based pretty much on FBG DD rating. Haven't watched him play this season. Does he look like a total bum? Sounds like Miami ground game in general is just crap. If he really is as bad as people are saying I'm gonna try to unload him to Foster owner or to anyone willing to bite once Foster starts missing time.

No one knows what Ajayi can do, especially those in here that act like they know.

Ajayi is worth keeping for now because the likelihood of Foster playing 16 games is the same as seeing peace in the Middle East.

When Foster gets hurt, if you get a decent offer, trade him.  If not, keep him, see what he can do, and go from there.

He's my 5th running back, but I have nothing to gain by trading/cutting him right now.

Edited by spider321

4 minutes ago, spider321 said:

No one knows, especially those in here that act like they know.

Ajayi is worth keeping for now because the likelihood of Foster playing 16 games is the same as seeing peace in the Middle East.

When Foster gets hurt, if you get a decent offer, trade him.  If not, keep him, see what he can do, and go from there.

He's my 5th running back, but I have nothing to gain by trading/cutting him right now.

Oddly enough he's probably the Dolphins 5th running back at this point.

Just now, tone1oc said:

Oddly enough he's probably the Dolphins 5th running back at this point.

4th after Foster tears his ACL in his sleep tonght.

23 minutes ago, tombonneau said:

The running game is definitely a work in progress and may continue to be a good ways into the season if not all year. 

Jay what little we have gotten to see from him has not been good. He seems like kind of a spaz trying to catch the ball, which is something I have not seen from him until this preseason. I think he just needs to relax a bit. Seems like he is pressing.

I have only seen the highlights though so far. I would like to see how he is pass protecting and the rest of his rushing attempts.

As far as what other people are saying about Jay having no talent and so on recently in this thread.. they are just puffing out their chests in some juvenile told ya so antics. Their comments are obviously not measured or in any way insightful. It is just plain hate not rational observation. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, tombonneau said:

What we know so far through 3 preseason games:

Foster has carried the ball 7 times for a total of 5 yards. He has caught 2 passes for 20 yards.

Ajayi has carried the ball 15 times for 31 yards. He has caught the ball 2 times for 12 yards.

Ajayi has started each game & is still listed as the #1 back. People can pump up how good Foster has looked gaining 5 yards on his 7 carries all they want. Until the offensive line improves neither of them will be worth starting.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mcd said:

What we know so far through 3 preseason games:

Foster has carried the ball 7 times for a total of 5 yards. He has caught 2 passes for 20 yards.

Ajayi has carried the ball 15 times for 31 yards. He has caught the ball 2 times for 12 yards.

Ajayi has started each game & is still listed as the #1 back. People can pump up how good Foster has looked gaining 5 yards on his 7 carries all they want. Until the offensive line improves neither of them will be worth starting.

Thanks. That is a good breakdown of an anemic running game. So sounds like the panic mode is driven by a small vocal collective. And didn't realize Foster was looking just as crap.

35 minutes ago, tombonneau said:

Thanks. That is a good breakdown of an anemic running game. So sounds like the panic mode is driven by a small vocal collective. And didn't realize Foster was looking just as crap.

The thing about the horrible stat line for Foster is that he looked really good running the ball in game 2.  While I don't think he'll be his old stud self, I think 80% or whatever arbitrary percent you want to assign to the fall off from his peak is still a pretty good RB.  I'm convinced he's healthy and that he has some elusiveness still.  

The touches that Jay Ajayi got were so much more important.   He was really terrible running the ball and completely lost in the passing game.  The guy doesn't have the skills in tight spaces or the vision to escape them.  When I say no talent, I mean talent to be anything other than a backup.   Nobody would turn their nose up at me if I said the same of Andre Williams. I have been consistent with my critique of his ability as a runner and they have shown themselves this preseason.  Make no mistake, Ajayi had his tryout and he is now firmly entrenched behind Foster.   It really doesn't matter what a preseason depth chart says, he is clearly NOT the #1 back and has probably been surpassed by Isaiah Pead on the depth chart, pending his injury.  

I'm not being anymore puffy chested than others are bitter. 

Edited by tone1oc
  • Like 1

Here are my comments after watching all of Jays week 3 runs provided by SSND.

2nd down 4. They run play action to Jay on the right side, he surges forward selling the run but I don't see any second level defenders biting. The Dolphins have receivers in the seams and the LB are dropping back in coverage. Jay slips out in the right flat RT maybe could have thrown this a bit sooner as Jay is open in the flat, the hesitation allows 22 who is back in a zone to close most of the distance before the pass gets to Jay. Jay keeps his hands facing the pass until he gathers it in. The defender is one yard away and already bursting for his tackle on Jay by the time it reaches his hands. He hangs on to the ball but gets tackled pretty hard with his back still to the defender. This play reminds me of the one he popped up in the air in an earlier game. Jay is more paitent waiting for the ball this time and secures it for a 1st down. The one before I think he was trying to spin away from the defender before he secured the ball. So that shows me he is focused on not making that mistake again.

1st and 10 2 WR left 1 WR right a TE/FB offset to the right. This is a dive play for Jay out of the I. The offensive line gets stood up at the LOS. Jay finds a seam between the RG and RT (I cant see this well from side view) and surgest through before being met about 2 yards past the LOS. He meets the defender head on with good pad level and gains another 2 to 3 yards after contact.

2nd and 5. 2 WR left 1 WR right with a TE on the left side inline. They run an outside zone to the right. The LDE gets contain to the outside forcing Jay to cut back inside, which he quickly does. The center fails to block the safety downfield and Tunsil fails his block on 97 who is able to get over to the cut back lane and tackle Jay after a 2 yards gain. 97 had help as well with other Falcon defenders getting off their blocks quickly enough to react to his cut back inside.

1st and 10. 2 WR right with a TE inline on the right side one WR on the left. This is an outside zone to the left, basically the same play they just ran wth him to the right. The Falcons perhaps anticipating the play side get penetration through the A gap right away and they are pursuing to the right already as he gets the hand off. After Jay takes two steps the defender is already in front of him so he is trying to get outside the two defenders who immediately defeated their blocks. The first defender has an ok angle as well as I can tell from the side view, but Jay accelerates forward and gets in front of the defender trying to tackle him, the defender does try to trip his feet and I think makes contact with Jay, but Jay is able to kick out of this with his acceleration step and gets the edge. There are still two other defenders pursuing however and they take Jay down backwards for what may be a loss of yardage. Jay would have lost 3 or 4 more yards if he wasn't able to get outside of the first defender.

1st and 20. 2 WR right with the TE inline on the right side one WR to the left. Jay in the I. Everyone blocks to the right with the TE coming across to the left to block the backside defender, inside zone. The Dolphins Linemen are able to get some push on the left side creating a space between them and the right side linemen block their guys to the outside. The TE fails his block on the RDE however trying to go too low, the DE now is occupying where the hole is supposed to be. Jay uses a jump cut to the right and evades the DE in the hole, the LT has lost his block on the LB by then however and is able to tackle Jay for a minimal gain. Jay is able to fall forward after contact with the LB to get a yard, maybe two.

2nd Quarter 2nd and 10. 2 WR left 1 WR right with a TE inline to the right. Pistol with Jay directly behind RT. The line blocks to the right and no one blocks the backside of the play. The TE fails his block on the LB who is able to get outside contain forcing Jay to cut back inside. Defenders have been able to push back Warmack and the Center giving Jay no room to operate after he cuts back inside two defenders coming from the backside unblocked. The TE barely rides the LB to the outside so Jay can get north and south after seeing he cannot get the edge. Conklin is the only lineman getting a decent block on the safety at the second level, Albert and Tunsil still looking for someone to block. I do see a possible lane to the right side if he were able to do a jump cut and get outside the two defenders pushing the center and RG into the backfield. He doesen't really have time though because of the backside pursuit meeting him at or behind the LOS. It would have required a pretty amazing play to cut it back inside as he did and then jump cut back outside once he passed the TE failed block on the outside contain. Jay gets tackled by 97 who I think was Tunsils guy.

3rd and 12. I see 2 WR and a TE already out on their routes to the left side. Cameron looks wide open but RT isn't looking at him. Jay runs a flat route to the right side and the ball is thrown before he has turned around. The pass is a bit behind him as he was snaping outside to the right, he reaches back for the ball and catches it, but this causes him to have to spin akwardly in the opposite directiion he was looking for the ball. He falls to the ground as he is securing the catch and the defender touches him down.

1st and 10. 2 TE 2 WR with the WR lined up tight to the line, Jay in the I. This looks like straight up drive blocking with the TE sealing their guys to the outside. Once again 97 is beating the center driving him into the backfield. The Dolphins have an effective double team on the NT with the RG and RT. Tunsil blocks the RDE and Albert is trying to get to the safety on the second level. Jay has to cut the play to the left so as to avoid 97 who has penetrated 5 yards into the backfield. The center is still blocking him which allows Jay to get around him. The defender being blocked outside by Sims on the left gets off his block as Jay is trying to find a lane. Jay submarines surging forward for 2 or 3 yards but he only gets a minimal gain. 

2nd and 4. I cant quite make out the formation as the play starts already in motion. Jay is met in the backfield by a defender who has beaten his block. Jay does a spin move and is able to escape these two defenders in the backfield. The safety being blocked on the right gets off his block just in time to meet Jay in the hole he is cutting back to. Jay does his kick step and gets out of this tackle as well but he is running laterally by now to be able to do that. He gets tackled for minimal gain by 37 coming from the backside of the play. I saw 2 receivers coming from the left to the right side of the field but I did not see them block anybody. Even though this play does not gain yards, he avoided defenders twice on this play and if not for the spin move he would have been tackled for a serious loss. That is how quick defenders are beating the Dolphins blocks and getting into the backfield.

I thought he showed good vision and timing for when to cut back after seeing the defender had outside contain. It would be nice to see one of these plays blocked properly and what Jay could do with that. Hardly any of these plays gave him a chance as he was avoiding defenders in the backfield more often than not. They never got the outside contain defender blocked on the two outside zone plays.

There was perhaps one missed opportunity but it would have required a Adrian Peterson like jump cut to get back to that hole to the outside.

I wish I could have seen some blocking assignments for Jay as I have not really seen any of that from him so far this year.

I welcome others to watch these clips and offer their own observations.

• Like 2

When Pouncey comes back, the running game will improve. He could miss the season opener. On the bright side, Tannehill hasn't been sacked in his last 50 PA. 

43 minutes ago, Biabreakable said:

Here are my comments after watching all of Jays week 3 runs provided by SSND.

2nd down 4. They run play action to Jay on the right side, he surges forward selling the run but I don't see any second level defenders biting. The Dolphins have receivers in the seams and the LB are dropping back in coverage. Jay slips out in the right flat RT maybe could have thrown this a bit sooner as Jay is open in the flat, the hesitation allows 22 who is back in a zone to close most of the distance before the pass gets to Jay. Jay keeps his hands facing the pass until he gathers it in. The defender is one yard away and already bursting for his tackle on Jay by the time it reaches his hands. He hangs on to the ball but gets tackled pretty hard with his back still to the defender. This play reminds me of the one he popped up in the air in an earlier game. Jay is more paitent waiting for the ball this time and secures it for a 1st down. The one before I think he was trying to spin away from the defender before he secured the ball. So that shows me he is focused on not making that mistake again.

1st and 10 2 WR left 1 WR right a TE/FB offset to the right. This is a dive play for Jay out of the I. The offensive line gets stood up at the LOS. Jay finds a seam between the RG and RT (I cant see this well from side view) and surgest through before being met about 2 yards past the LOS. He meets the defender head on with good pad level and gains another 2 to 3 yards after contact.

2nd and 5. 2 WR left 1 WR right with a TE on the left side inline. They run an outside zone to the right. The LDE gets contain to the outside forcing Jay to cut back inside, which he quickly does. The center fails to block the safety downfield and Tunsil fails his block on 97 who is able to get over to the cut back lane and tackle Jay after a 2 yards gain. 97 had help as well with other Falcon defenders getting off their blocks quickly enough to react to his cut back inside.

1st and 10. 2 WR right with a TE inline on the right side one WR on the left. This is an outside zone to the left, basically the same play they just ran wth him to the right. The Falcons perhaps anticipating the play side get penetration through the A gap right away and they are pursuing to the right already as he gets the hand off. After Jay takes two steps the defender is already in front of him so he is trying to get outside the two defenders who immediately defeated their blocks. The first defender has an ok angle as well as I can tell from the side view, but Jay accelerates forward and gets in front of the defender trying to tackle him, the defender does try to trip his feet and I think makes contact with Jay, but Jay is able to kick out of this with his acceleration step and gets the edge. There are still two other defenders pursuing however and they take Jay down backwards for what may be a loss of yardage. Jay would have lost 3 or 4 more yards if he wasn't able to get outside of the first defender.

1st and 20. 2 WR right with the TE inline on the right side one WR to the left. Jay in the I. Everyone blocks to the right with the TE coming across to the left to block the backside defender, inside zone. The Dolphins Linemen are able to get some push on the left side creating a space between them and the right side linemen block their guys to the outside. The TE fails his block on the RDE however trying to go too low, the DE now is occupying where the hole is supposed to be. Jay uses a jump cut to the right and evades the DE in the hole, the LT has lost his block on the LB by then however and is able to tackle Jay for a minimal gain. Jay is able to fall forward after contact with the LB to get a yard, maybe two.

2nd Quarter 2nd and 10. 2 WR left 1 WR right with a TE inline to the right. Pistol with Jay directly behind RT. The line blocks to the right and no one blocks the backside of the play. The TE fails his block on the LB who is able to get outside contain forcing Jay to cut back inside. Defenders have been able to push back Warmack and the Center giving Jay no room to operate after he cuts back inside two defenders coming from the backside unblocked. The TE barely rides the LB to the outside so Jay can get north and south after seeing he cannot get the edge. Conklin is the only lineman getting a decent block on the safety at the second level, Albert and Tunsil still looking for someone to block. I do see a possible lane to the right side if he were able to do a jump cut and get outside the two defenders pushing the center and RG into the backfield. He doesen't really have time though because of the backside pursuit meeting him at or behind the LOS. It would have required a pretty amazing play to cut it back inside as he did and then jump cut back outside once he passed the TE failed block on the outside contain. Jay gets tackled by 97 who I think was Tunsils guy.

3rd and 12. I see 2 WR and a TE already out on their routes to the left side. Cameron looks wide open but RT isn't looking at him. Jay runs a flat route to the right side and the ball is thrown before he has turned around. The pass is a bit behind him as he was snaping outside to the right, he reaches back for the ball and catches it, but this causes him to have to spin akwardly in the opposite directiion he was looking for the ball. He falls to the ground as he is securing the catch and the defender touches him down.

1st and 10. 2 TE 2 WR with the WR lined up tight to the line, Jay in the I. This looks like straight up drive blocking with the TE sealing their guys to the outside. Once again 97 is beating the center driving him into the backfield. The Dolphins have an effective double team on the NT with the RG and RT. Tunsil blocks the RDE and Albert is trying to get to the safety on the second level. Jay has to cut the play to the left so as to avoid 97 who has penetrated 5 yards into the backfield. The center is still blocking him which allows Jay to get around him. The defender being blocked outside by Sims on the left gets off his block as Jay is trying to find a lane. Jay submarines surging forward for 2 or 3 yards but he only gets a minimal gain. 

2nd and 4. I cant quite make out the formation as the play starts already in motion. Jay is met in the backfield by a defender who has beaten his block. Jay does a spin move and is able to escape these two defenders in the backfield. The safety being blocked on the right gets off his block just in time to meet Jay in the hole he is cutting back to. Jay does his kick step and gets out of this tackle as well but he is running laterally by now to be able to do that. He gets tackled for minimal gain by 37 coming from the backside of the play. I saw 2 receivers coming from the left to the right side of the field but I did not see them block anybody. Even though this play does not gain yards, he avoided defenders twice on this play and if not for the spin move he would have been tackled for a serious loss. That is how quick defenders are beating the Dolphins blocks and getting into the backfield.

I thought he showed good vision and timing for when to cut back after seeing the defender had outside contain. It would be nice to see one of these plays blocked properly and what Jay could do with that. Hardly any of these plays gave him a chance as he was avoiding defenders in the backfield more often than not. They never got the outside contain defender blocked on the two outside zone plays.

There was perhaps one missed opportunity but it would have required a Adrian Peterson like jump cut to get back to that hole to the outside.

I wish I could have seen some blocking assignments for Jay as I have not really seen any of that from him so far this year.

I welcome others to watch these clips and offer their own observations.

I think you're being too kind to Ajayi. The blocking wasn't great but there were multiple plays were he could've at least picked up a couple more yards. Two examples (which I've bolded above):

2nd and 5: the crease is between the RG and the RT, but Ajayi spends too long running parallel to the line of scrimmage looking to take it outside the RT. By the time he decides to cut it downfield, he has to stop and turn 90 degrees. 97 was the backside defensive tackle -- he was able to hustle down the line and get in position for an easy tackle at the line of scrimmage because it took Ajayi so long to get there.

2nd and 4: after a nice spin move to elude a defender in the backfield, Ajayi finds himself at the line of scrimmage with space in front of him but LBs/DBs closing in from both sides and about 3 yards downfield of him. If he powers forward, he'll have a gain of 3-6 yards, as the defenders don't have great angles for stopping his forward progress. Instead he stutter steps, continues forward for another yard or two, and then cuts to the right to try to bounce it outside. He slips through the tackle of the defender to his right, and then as he's moving parallel to the line of scrimmage he's brought down for a gain of 1 or 2 yards by two Falcons who come in to clean up.

• Like 2

An awful lot of time and energy being wasted on a guy who isn't likely to do much. 

Is this thread really 37 pages long on the Miami Dolphins back up RB? 

Foster will go down at some point, seems like a certainty although I'll be rooting for him. Ajayi has done almost nothing and last I checked the other night he was something like 8 for 11yds or close to it. Maybe he got a few more touches, I'll double check. Sorry, 7 carries for 11 yards, he's a "7-11" get it?

But seriously I do want to say one thing I saw the other night that I didn't know or think he could do. he was targeted twice and caught both passes, I thought he looked good doing it and that would make me think he can see the field even in passing situations.

Whenever Drake is ready to go, I expect him to pass Ajayi, quickly.  

If Miami sent Miller packing...Lamar Miller who is about to put up top5 numbers and they let him walk...and you think they are going to think twice about looking at any RB on the roster who can produce? Ajayi is not performing when given the carries, Foster's numbers were not great either the other night but he looked a whole lot better moving than Ajayi did. And Foster while healthy will be the RB inside the 5 yd line, almost no doubt form the way the offense is being paced in the preseason. 

Ajayi owners, I feel like you bought a terrible bill of goods, not sure what was ever there. I never hear/heard he is tearing up camps from the beat writers around here. Mostly he has been nursing injuries he sustained long before he arrived. They spent a 5th round pick, not much invested really. 

I think Ajayi is one of the worst RB2s on an NFL roster, you would be hard pressed to find 5 with less experience and less upside right now IMHO...

Edited by Ministry of Pain

I went back and watched the 2nd and 5 play several more times. I see what you mean about him taking too long to get north/south. It almost seems like he is trying to see if he can get to the outside. It isn't until the defender being blocked commits to the outside contain that he decides to hit it up in there. He likely could have done that a second or so sooner and then there wouldn't have been as many defenders around that hole. Tunsil does not get much of a block on 97 though.

On the 2nd and 4 the defender does get off of his block right as Jay is breaking the LOS. I think he sees there is no one outside of this defender on the right side and so he is trying to run to daylight, but he has to go horizontally to do it, which allows the pursuit to get position and bring him down. The 2 WR are cutting across the formation to the right which is drawing defenders to the side he is trying to get to. Conklin blocking downfield on the DB was about the only block happening on that play. I am not sure how he got out of losing yards on the play with the spin move. I would need to see all 22 for that. There are other players in the way from the view of that. The WR coming across bringing defenders with them is why I think Jay doesn't just barrel forward and get what he can. You are likely right that he should have done that. I still question the play design and its execution. Jay is having to do a lot just to not lose yardage on many of these plays.

On 8/26/2016 at 8:15 PM, tone1oc said:

The thing about the horrible stat line for Foster is that he looked really good running the ball in game 2.  While I don't think he'll be his old stud self, I think 80% or whatever arbitrary percent you want to assign to the fall off from his peak is still a pretty good RB.  I'm convinced he's healthy and that he has some elusiveness still.  

The touches that Jay Ajayi got were so much more important.   He was really terrible running the ball and completely lost in the passing game.  The guy doesn't have the skills in tight spaces or the vision to escape them.  When I say no talent, I mean talent to be anything other than a backup.   Nobody would turn their nose up at me if I said the same of Andre Williams. I have been consistent with my critique of his ability as a runner and they have shown themselves this preseason.  Make no mistake, Ajayi had his tryout and he is now firmly entrenched behind Foster.   It really doesn't matter what a preseason depth chart says, he is clearly NOT the #1 back and has probably been surpassed by Isaiah Pead on the depth chart, pending his injury.  

I'm not being anymore puffy chested than others are bitter. 

Foster has been listed as the RB1 for over a week now...

So the Dolphins have two injury prone RBs, one young and one old. We haven't seen enough of Ajayi to know much, but he dropped to the 5th round for a reason and that was a bad right knee. Since neither of these guys will likely be able to handle a full workload without a medical emergency, it probably ends up being an even split fantasy wise. 

16 minutes ago, Biabreakable said:

By whom?

Our Lads and Salguero mentioned it a while back on his Twitter feed. He is at practice every day, usually has a little summary of things he feels might be important. 

And everyone has kept up with Adam Gase? He has been saying Foster will roll with the first unit for weeks. Like since Foster signed. The recent movement up the depth charts on web sites was just icing on the cake IMO. 

That doesn't mean that Foster has been listed as the starter for a week MOP.

When the HC says that is the case then it will be official. I don't see any evidence of him saying so. The last thing I do recall him saying is that they wouldn't decide this until the third game and Jay started, then Foster, then Jay again, then Pead.

3 minutes ago, Ministry of Pain said:

And everyone has kept up with Adam Gase? He has been saying Foster will roll with the first unit for weeks. Like since Foster signed. The recent movement up the depth charts on web sites was just icing on the cake IMO. 

I hope Foster does well, but in 63 carries last year before the Achilles injury, he had a lower YPC (2.6) than the likes of Alfred Blue, Chris Polk, and Jonathan Grimes. He was coming off a groin injury, so maybe he wasn't 100%.  But its too early to write Ajayi's FF obit. 

25 minutes ago, Biabreakable said:

That doesn't mean that Foster has been listed as the starter for a week MOP.

When the HC says that is the case then it will be official. I don't see any evidence of him saying so. The last thing I do recall him saying is that they wouldn't decide this until the third game and Jay started, then Foster, then Jay again, then Pead.

Adam Gase and I quote “His resume speaks for itself,” Gase said, via the Miami Herald. “I don’t think there’s any question why we brought him in here. He’s playing this year. Whether he’s the guy that will be the first snap of the game, time will tell. He is going to be rolling with the ones.”

You draft whoever you like but as long as Foster is healthy he will be the RB with the most touches or FF points IMHO.