Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
workdog3

*** All aboard the J Train - Official Jay Ajayi Thread***

It's strange that people are worried about Foster being named the starter. To me the biggest upside of the situation is you know Foster is going to get hurt. Ayaji could suck, but I don't think opportunity is his biggest problem.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, SoBeDad said:

I hope Foster does well, but in 63 carries last year before the Achilles injury, he had a lower YPC (2.6) than the likes of Alfred Blue, Chris Polk, and Jonathan Grimes. He was coming off a groin injury, so maybe he wasn't 100%.  But its too early to write Ajayi's FF obit. 

I believe Foster will end up gimpy although all signs point to him 100% right now. 

I believe Ajayi is nothing special, Daniel Thomas at best and I know they are not even built the same but production and impact I'm about the same on them. 

I believe Drake will eventually become a more prominent part of the offense whenever he can get over his injuries. And since Parker lovers get to overlook all of his injuries and plates and screws and why can't I hold out hope for Drake until we get to see him on the field? 3rd round selection, I think we will see him at some point in the offense. Miami is likely to lose 10 games again this year, 2nd half of the season will be be more rookies getting to touch the field. 

Not much else to see here. I liked Williams at one point but I haven't seen much from him lately. 

Yes MOP  that was awhile ago. What he says is not that Foster is the starter however, just that Foster will play with the first team. There is a difference.

Now you and everyone speculating that Foster is the starter may be correct. There just hasn't been any official announcement of such to my knowledge. So there is a difference between speculation from inside information and that being a fact for a week.

The actions show that Jay was the starter for the 1st series, then Foster came in, then Jay came back in. Which is kind of what Gase and the coaches have been saying all along, that they don't want to substitute during drives. 

If Foster was the starter then he would have had the first series, and he would have had two series instead of one. But as he says "Fosters resume speaks for itself" in the context that he did not need to see Foster much in preseason games. He knows Foster can play and is trying to save him for the regular season.

On the other hand they did need to see Jay and he obviously has a lot of things to work on if he wants to become a better RB.

2 minutes ago, Wise Old Owl said:

It's strange that people are worried about Foster being named the starter. To me the biggest upside of the situation is you know Foster is going to get hurt. Ayaji could suck, but I don't think opportunity is his biggest problem.

What if Ajayi is used mostly on runs between the 20s and Foster is the red zone guy plus 3rd down/pass situations?

At best if Foster remains healthy I think you have like a 2:1 split basically. 200 carries for Foster, 40 catches, that would be 15 touches a game with no injuries, hold your breath. And you could assume 8-10 TDs if he managed everything I just mentioned. I'm having a harder time producing those numbers for Ajayi even if Foster leaves Hard Rock Stadium...that's right, we named the GD thing Hard Rock Stadium!!! it's a lot better than Sun Shark, Land Life, Buffet's Buffet or whatever they have been calling it of late. 

I just do not see the upside for our boy Jay Ajay, but I'm pulling for him, got no dog in this fight other than being a Phinsfan...

At their ADP.  It's pretty easy to own both these guys and feel comfortable with it.  Whether you like the Miami run game and offense is another question.  But I took a calculated risk and drafted both. Reached a little early for foster, but like him and had to because doubt I would see him at the next turn.

12 minutes ago, VikingFrog said:

At their ADP.  It's pretty easy to own both these guys and feel comfortable with it.  Whether you like the Miami run game and offense is another question.  But I took a calculated risk and drafted both. Reached a little early for foster, but like him and had to because doubt I would see him at the next turn.

What are their actual ADPs (I only do one local redraft so I don't concern myself with it too much really)?

My impression from reading these boards, however, are that each will be gone by Round 7 though. Spending two picks in the top 8 rounds just to get one backfield seems kind of expensive to me. If it turns into a true RBBC that makes it even worse.

22 minutes ago, packer_junkie said:

i wouldn't touch ajayi before the 10th

I got him in the 13th of a 12 team 16 round draft. 

On 8/26/2016 at 6:17 PM, tone1oc said:

Oddly enough he's probably the Dolphins 5th running back at this point.

So, who's the next man up when Foster goes down?  Sorry if you guys have already covered this somewhere else.

Just now, wormburner said:

So, who's the next man up when Foster goes down?  Sorry if you guys have already covered this somewhere else.

Some combination of Pead/Williams/Drake/Ajayi probably in that order.  I don't believe Ajayi is next man up, if that is what you are asking. 

1 minute ago, tone1oc said:

Some combination of Pead/Williams/Drake/Ajayi probably in that order.  I don't believe Ajayi is next man up, if that is what you are asking. 

Thanks.  I've seen Drake getting pimped a little, but I couldn't find anything that pointed to a clear #2.  Do you think Ajayi has pouted his way out of a backup role, or just some tough love from the coach?

4 minutes ago, wormburner said:

My guess would be Damien Williams who has some good pass blocking ability.

Things have really gone south for Jay Ajayi over the preseason, or really since Foster was signed it seems. The negativity from the press and the fans has been pretty consistent.

Part of coach Gases job is to find the right players for his team and this includes the team culture. It seems that he is making examples of Jay Ajayi and DeVantae Parker as part of that overall message of accountability. 

I still believe in the talent of Jay Ajayi and DeVantae Parker, but the coach is going to do what he thinks gives the team the best chance to win. Now and moving forward. So listing Jay as a healthy scratch demonstrates that currently Jay is not a part of that.

If it is true that Jay's attitude has been poor since the signing of Foster. That is something he has control over and can change that. The coaches message is pretty loud and clear though.

5 minutes ago, wormburner said:

Thanks.  I've seen Drake getting pimped a little, but I couldn't find anything that pointed to a clear #2.  Do you think Ajayi has pouted his way out of a backup role, or just some tough love from the coach?

No idea, so i'm not going to pretend to know.  Purely speculating, I don't think Gase is the type of a guy who simply sends messages.  I think he was left behind because he isn't very good and Drake/Williams/Pead offer more to the team.   For redraft purposes I think he is very safe to drop and in dynasty you probably have to hold on and wait for something good to happen, though I doubt it will. 

Earlier in this thread I compared Drake from an athletic/size/speed perspective to Jeremy Langford, who Gase had a lot of success with.  I think he has the most upside as a handcuff or stash. 

9 minutes ago, bicycle_seat_sniffer said:

Oof what a fall. Backup will probably be drake. He at least has some skills. Williams n pead are super jags

I don't disagree, but Pead has some pedigree and may have finally put it all together to be a quality pro.

Ajayi is just pouting that they gave the starting spot to Mr. Glass.

It's the Dolphins, so there's very little value to their RB either way.

Foster will still have a major leg injury this season.

Ajayi will still be the starter after that happens.

2 hours ago, spider321 said:

Ajayi is just pouting that they gave the starting spot to Mr. Glass.

It's the Dolphins, so there's very little value to their RB either way.

Foster will still have a major leg injury this season.

Ajayi will still be the starter after that happens.

Hitting the sauce tonight?

Reggie Bush had solid years in Miami, Lamar Miller pretty good. Someone will become relevant here but you seem like you're set on Ajayi. I live down here, that doesn't matter but I follow all the beat writers, not just Salguero and Omar, the camp reports have never shown Ajayi to be special. he was an afterthought int he draft last year and had very little to show after an injury plagued rookie year that extended from college where he had injury issues. 

I disagree, as long as Foster is healthy he is likely to be a top 20 RB in this offense. Keep an eye on Drake, IMO he was drafted 3rd or 4th round, he is the rookie who will emerge. 

Also, could you not be so disrespectful about injuries? Sure, Foster has had issues but he was an undrafted guy who fought his way to the top, you show very little respect for him and any of his skills up to this point. Folks in the SP typically frown on wishing or assuming injuries. He's played full seasons, Miami has to not give in to temptation and overuse him. 

I would just watch and take notes first couple weeks. New offense but Foster has been pimped as the RB1 here since he signed, Ajayi's temper tantrum only confirms it.

And not to be a dbag myself but I have been very clear about what is happening down here and Gase's handling of the RB situation has been consistent with his press conferences and camp reports. People just act like they don't see any of it. 

• Like 1

Gase has been trying to replace Ajayi from the minute he was hired, so the fact that this relationship isn't working out isn't that surprising. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ministry of Pain said:

Hitting the sauce tonight?

Reggie Bush had solid years in Miami, Lamar Miller pretty good. Someone will become relevant here but you seem like you're set on Ajayi. I live down here, that doesn't matter but I follow all the beat writers, not just Salguero and Omar, the camp reports have never shown Ajayi to be special. he was an afterthought int he draft last year and had very little to show after an injury plagued rookie year that extended from college where he had injury issues. 

I disagree, as long as Foster is healthy he is likely to be a top 20 RB in this offense. Keep an eye on Drake, IMO he was drafted 3rd or 4th round, he is the rookie who will emerge. 

Also, could you not be so disrespectful about injuries? Sure, Foster has had issues but he was an undrafted guy who fought his way to the top, you show very little respect for him and any of his skills up to this point. Folks in the SP typically frown on wishing or assuming injuries. He's played full seasons, Miami has to not give in to temptation and overuse him. 

I would just watch and take notes first couple weeks. New offense but Foster has been pimped as the RB1 here since he signed, Ajayi's temper tantrum only confirms it.

And not to be a dbag myself but I have been very clear about what is happening down here and Gase's handling of the RB situation has been consistent with his press conferences and camp reports. People just act like they don't see any of it. 

Foster was a very good RB in the NFL for 4 seasons.

Now, he's a 30 year-old, injury prone RB, on a bad team, who's best days are behind him.

If that offends you, I hear many college campuses now have discourse-free zones for their fragile little snowflakes. :thumbup:

Edited by spider321
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, spider321 said:

Now, he's a 30 year-old, injury prone RB, on a bad team, who's best days are behind him.

If that offends you, I hear many college campuses now have discourse-free zones for their fragile little snowflakes. :thumbup:

I can go smack for smack, just trying to avoid SP wars, wasn't that mad, just feels a little harsh on your end. If Foster proves to be top 20 the first month are you going to have second thoughts or at least post that you were slightly misguided? :P

Good to have some heated debate, look forward to more. Good luck this weekend. 

• Like 1

FBG taketh and The Shark Pool giveth. 

Drafted this bum in dynasty due to high DD rating. But thanks to this thread and homers who opened my eyes, I was able to unload him a few weeks ago straight up for the Cmike handcuff. 

And now this news. Thanks a million, SP. :thumbup: 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Ministry of Pain said:

Doesn't make the trip to Seattle and is in no way injured, healthy scratch...I would say his 2016 outlook has been altered some. 

Coaches had to punish Ajayi for refusing to practice on Friday, after they gave his job to Lieutenant Dan.

Ajayi will still be the starter by midseason, at the latest.

20 minutes ago, spider321 said:

Coaches had to punish Ajayi for refusing to practice on Friday, after they gave his job to Lieutenant Dan.

I like it, you are on record Spiderman.

15 hours ago, spider321 said:

Bad team? Miller was a top 10 RB in MIA last year in a worse system.  Foster will put up RB 1 numbers on a PPG basis until he gets hurt, which may not even happen.

Until then Ajayi can't cut into fosters numbers if he doesn't make the trip.

:popcorn:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spider321 said:

The myopia is strong in this one.

• Like 2

Convinced me that Ajayi is a bum. 

Not a Foster backer either. Id rather have a piece of browns' or redskins' backfields...

Bump Jarvis Landry..

4 hours ago, bagger said:

The myopia is strong in this one.

I've heard it before, this tale of ajayi

A player who sounds good but sucks to the eyee

And then as the coaches start saying bye byee

The owners like spidy get whiny and cry-y

The story's the same thought the details may vary

A second year player so good that it's scary

He might have had five, even six yards per carry

But then it goes sour like citrus and dairy

The coaches don't mean it, the newbs always say

That guy they just drafted, he can't even play

He's just a plan b, my guy's the plan A

Hey, why is my guy on the bench on game day

There's gio's and hills and michael's and rawls

And denver keeps finding their next montee ball's

Gurley ####ed mason like mason ####ed stacy

Fat eddie ####ed starks until starks re ####ed lacy

It happens like clockwork to each generation

They just can't believe that it's not motivation

So welcome ajayi to fantasy hell

You're the next one to motivate old tatum bell

Edited by bostonfred
  • Like 18

6 minutes ago, bostonfred said:

So sit back and listen, for i'm going to tell

Nice fred. Real nice

Edited by bicycle_seat_sniffer

8 minutes ago, bostonfred said:

####### phenomenal. 

19 minutes ago, bostonfred said:

This is why I SP

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bostonfred said:

:bow:

The ol' leave on a good note? "That's it, I'm outta here!" Love it. May as well make this the poem thread now. Probably more useful.

The Miami Herald reports Jay Ajayi isn't a lock to be active next week.

Ajayi didn't make the trip to Seattle after losing his starting job to Arian Foster. With Damien Williams and Kenyan Drake core special teamers, he's going to need Miami to keep four backs active to avoid being a weekly scratch. Ajayi is still likely the favorite for carries if Foster goes down, but he doesn't have any standalone value.

Source: Miami Herald 
Sep 11 - 10:19 AM

So where do we set the line on waiver wire available players who are worth Ajayi's spot? Is he still a decent stash? Too early to tell? Hightower? Morris? Spiller? Howard? Riddick? DJ Foster? Would you rather have a player like Ajayi who had some decent cache at one point and has fallen out of favor or more lotto ticket types like the ones listed previously? 

The J Train is off the tracks and has crashed and burned. He had a terrible camp and pre-season.

It is over.

Foster, Drake, Williams and Pead. 

5th round pick so I had no expectations. Keep in mind too they tried to sign CJ Anderson. So they never thought that highly of Ajayi to begin with. That should have been an easy tell to Ajayi owners right from the get go.

Edited by Todem

5 minutes ago, Todem said:

A Train is off the tracks and has crashed and burned. He had a terrible camp and pre-season.

It is over.

5th round pick so I had no expectations. Keep in mind too they tried to sign CJ Anderson. So they never thought that highly of Ajayi to begin with. That should have been an easy tell to Ajayi owners right from the get go.

So if Foster does down will it be a mix of Drake, Williams, and Pead? What about dynasty-wise, is Drake the one to own?

9 minutes ago, Todem said:

A Train is off the tracks and has crashed and burned. He had a terrible camp and pre-season.

It is over.

:yes:

6 minutes ago, Ketamine Dreams said:

So if Foster does down will it be a mix of Drake, Williams, and Pead? What about dynasty-wise, is Drake the one to own?

Drake is IMO the one to own in dynasty in PPR leagues. He will get plenty of looks if he can catch up. He missed ton of time this summer. The next starting RB though is not yet on this team. They will look to shore up this position in next years draft.

In redraft.....I will say it again. Keep an eye on Damien Williams.

If Foster stays healthy he will be a nice PPR RB 2 this season at his ADP. Problem is....at his age and the injury he just came off....I have my doubts he can stay upright all season. As a Dolphins fan I really hope he does. We need him badly.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 1

Have to wait and see - still not a given that Ajayi is even active this week because he doesn't play special teams.

My concern is that Ajayi may not even be the guy if Foster gets hurt, but he's still a stash for now IMO.

21 minutes ago, Chicago Hooligan said:

Foster is already gimpy with a hamstring. Does this change the short-term outlook on Ajayi?

I already cut him but am having second thoughts.

Foster back at practice today. I doubt he practices on wednesday ever