Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
workdog3

*** All aboard the J Train - Official Jay Ajayi Thread***

45 minutes ago, Chicago Hooligan said:

Foster is already gimpy with a hamstring. Does this change the short-term outlook on Ajayi?

I already cut him but am having second thoughts.

I doubt Foster is seriously gimpy and is more likely getting valuable veteran rest days.

If Ajayi has any pride he will refocus after the message Gase sent last week and put everything he has into being the team player that Gase wants him to be. If that happens (that's a big if), I still see him as a hold and the unquestioned starter if something happens to Foster.  However if we keep hearing about him being petulant because he isn't the starter and similar stuff then you should probably look for better options.

Petulant or not, he's not very good.  He could be the best member of the locker room and would still be on the bench unless his play significantly improves.

Already cut his whining ### to pick up Tyrell Williams last night.  I had a high hope in him as one of my potential sleepers but clearly to date, he has been squandering every given opportunity he received from Dolphins. 

35 minutes ago, tone1oc said:

Petulant or not, he's not very good.  He could be the best member of the locker room and would still be on the bench unless his play significantly improves.

I thought he looked pretty good last year. Gase also seemed to think so early in the offseason, but seems like his attitude cost him. We'll see if he can get his head on straight.

8 minutes ago, NREC34 said:

Active today...?

Worth a shot as flyer in a deep league?? 

Yes, of course.

No way Foster stays healthy beyond...  What time is it?

Some guys are saying Damien Williams would be the better guy to have if/when Foster goes down. 

2 minutes ago, NREC34 said:

Some guys are saying Damien Williams would be the better guy to have if/when Foster goes down. 

Those guys are wrong.

• Like 1

Ajayi had a week head start of not getting injured which is more than he needs, Ajayi has friends in the coaching staffs from Miami to Los Angeles, he knows a dozen defenses and every custom blitz pick up package their is, he'll leap he'll score he'll blend right in as the RB1 and with any luck he'll have Foster's job by halftime!

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Ministry of Pain said:

Ajayi had a week head start of not getting injured which is more than he needs, Ajayi has friends in the coaching staffs from Miami to Los Angeles, he knows a dozen defenses and every custom blitz pick up package their is, he'll leap he'll score he'll blend right in as the RB1 and with any luck he'll have Foster's job by halftime!

10/10

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NREC34 said:

Has he even been in the game?

afraid he is Bishop Sankey 2.0

R-E-L-A-X.

Wait for the Foster injury.

16 minutes ago, spider321 said:

R-E-L-A-X.

Wait for the Foster injury.

I just got an alert that said Foster is "sidelined with tightness in hamstring", but haven't been able to find any mention of it anywhere else.

Something to keep an eye on, though.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RBM said:

Bad fumble. 

Despite him having Foster's role by default at the half, yeah the fumble isn't going to win him the job...if Foster is out for a while, I would expect Miami to be bringing people in. This kid has not shown me one time he is deserving of being one of the 32 NFL starting RBs, not even close. 

7 minutes ago, Ministry of Pain said:

Despite him having Foster's role by default at the half, yeah the fumble isn't going to win him the job...if Foster is out for a while, I would expect Miami to be bringing people in. This kid has not shown me one time he is deserving of being one of the 32 NFL starting RBs, not even close. 

Ronnie Hillman?

Just now, Ministry of Pain said:

1st name I thought of. he's walking the street, couldn't be this bad could he?

Same here, first guy that came to mind.  At the very least, they have to work him out.

4 hours ago, Ministry of Pain said:

1 hour ago, Ministry of Pain said:

:doh:

• Like 1

KENYAN DRAKE!!!

I liked him since they drafted him, still feel he will leap frog Ajayi who did virtually nada today plus the fumble. No way Drake was the GL plan but it ended up going that way. 

Foster might be a couple weeks if he tweaked his groin. I see Drake getting more and more touches the next few weeks. 

Edited by Ministry of Pain
  • Like 1

The fumble Ajayi laid down ended up being the lone TD for NE in the 2nd half, we lose 31-24, you can argue that Ajayi was an integral part of the loss today. His fumble was magnified when you look at how Miami answered 24-7 after being down 24-0, if that fumble doesn't take place, Miami is possibly kicking a FG for the win at the end. 

Miami should have won 27-24 but instead lose 31-24.

-I'm sure the coaching staff will forget about all this by Tuesday...

they forgot about it in the game. he was in after the fumble and got touches still. 

Looking good for Ajayi with Foster potentially out next week and beyond. :hawkscreech: 

This is why you lift all them weights 

Christensen Touches On Browns Defense

He talks about not getting enough snaps to get the running game into a rhythm and that they just need to keep trying to do that.

The coach doesn't mince words. He says Jay knows you can't law the ball on the ground. Those are big drives and those (the fumbles) are deflators, those are turnovers plus, There is no good time to have a fumble but to have a turnover at the beginning of the 3rd quarter, as the young guys say thats is a real buzz kills. The media laughs. 

He is then asked if Jay is making the most of his carries. He says yeah I do. I think he has. You know we haven't had plays where we're saying he's missing the hole, we haven't had plays where he is taking the play off. The answer to your question is yes he has made the most of his carries. I think he has kind of kept humming. It is the same thing. No one has gotten enough carries to get themselves going yet. And that is our fault as a unit. But no. I haven't thought that. I haven't thought, gosh there is some stuff there, he hasn't gotten that out of it, out of the situation, of the play. I have NOT thought that. We have felt he is running well, and when he gets opportunities he is running well.

When asked about Kenyan Drakes pass protection the coach says he thinks Drake has come a long ways. He says Kenyan has come miles on that. He still isn't there yet, but he has gotten better and better and the room has adopted that, and I think we are getting better there. That was impressive, it wasn't completely clean but we had a no sack game against NE isn't easy. On the road, it is a hard assignment for those RB to pick up NEs big linebackers. That was a positive we take out of the last game, that the backs did that, they have really improved in their protection and willingness to get up in there.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The Man With No Name said:

He only played 18 snaps against Cleveland

Don't focus on those little details. Word on the street is that this guy is still going to get 300 carries this year.

3 hours ago, Ministry of Pain said:

Snap No 18 was the most important...

You've been pretty down on him, is this you allowing for a sliver of hope?  Or just happy that it got your team the win?

Coach Adam Gase said using a four-running back committee the past two weeks was "some bad coaching by me," and he plans to scrap it.

"Going forward, hopefully we can target a couple of guys a game or one guy a game and let that guy get in the flow of it," said Gase. With Arian Foster (groin, hamstring) still sidelined at Tuesday's practice, it sounds like it could be Jay Ajayi leading the backfield against the Titans, with rookie Kenyan Drake mixing in behind him. Ajayi scored the overtime touchdown against the Browns Week 3 and is averaging 4.2 YPC, while Drake is at 4.9. If Foster sits Sunday, Ajayi will have some RB2 appeal.

Source: Miami Herald 
Oct 4 - 10:30 PM

1 hour ago, Faust said:

Hmm......Sounds like Gase may give him another chance.  Here's hoping he does something with it, will believe it when I see it but things change quickly

Here is the press conference being cited from the Herald, Roto, Faust above. 

Gase Turns Focus Towards Titans

A lot of this is talking about center Mike Pouncey returning to practice and how that is expected to help their run blocking. In the previous PC with Christensen he gushes about Pouncey, especially as a run blocker.

The discussion of the RBs starts at the 4:40 mark.

The coach finally starts using some coach speak and won't name the starter. He smiles about that and reporters laugh.

I think I have got to get, whether it is one or two guys, I need to create some kind of flow for these guys. I feel like last week I probably should have done a better job as far as if someone got hot, keeping them in the game instead of moving guys in and out, and you know that was just some bad coaching by me. So you know going forward, hopefully we can target a couple guys a game or one guy a game and let that guy get in the flow of it and you know see what happens.

Jay Ajayi was the player who was getting hot that he didn't stick with, so if the coach wants to keep anyone in the dark about who is starting, he is going to need to be more cryptic about it. Nice try for the first time I have heard him use coach speak though. :)

From my perspective the Titans had some excellent run defense against the Vikings in week one. This is the only game of theirs I have seen this year however.

Looking at the rush defensive stats, it looks like the Titans have slipped in run defense since that game.

Currently the Titans are 21st in total rushing yards allowed. They are allowing 4,4 YPC and 110 yards per game. So slightly below average as a run defense after four games.

They have played against the Vikings, Lions, Raiders and Texans. 

DeMarco Murray and Lamar Miller both had solid games running the ball against the Titans, Detroit had 4 players including the QB over 30 yards.

So this should be at least a neutral match up for Miami running the ball. 

2 hours ago, Faust said:

Coach Adam Gase said using a four-running back committee the past two weeks was "some bad coaching by me," and he plans to scrap it.

Good lord. Did a coach just admit that he had done some bad coaching?

20 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

This is one of the things I like about Gase. He holds himself accountable and sets a good example to the players by doing so.

I still don't understand why he has made this harder than it needed to be, or why he has treated the first quarter of the regular season more like preseason games.

9 hours ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

Well i really cant see why pead or damien williams should get another touch in the nfl. So........

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Biabreakable said:

Here is the press conference being cited from the Herald, Roto, Faust above. 

Gase Turns Focus Towards Titans

A lot of this is talking about center Mike Pouncey returning to practice and how that is expected to help their run blocking. In the previous PC with Christensen he gushes about Pouncey, especially as a run blocker.

The discussion of the RBs starts at the 4:40 mark.

The coach finally starts using some coach speak and won't name the starter. He smiles about that and reporters laugh.

Jay Ajayi was the player who was getting hot that he didn't stick with, so if the coach wants to keep anyone in the dark about who is starting, he is going to need to be more cryptic about it. Nice try for the first time I have heard him use coach speak though. :)

From my perspective the Titans had some excellent run defense against the Vikings in week one. This is the only game of theirs I have seen this year however.

Looking at the rush defensive stats, it looks like the Titans have slipped in run defense since that game.

Currently the Titans are 21st in total rushing yards allowed. They are allowing 4,4 YPC and 110 yards per game. So slightly below average as a run defense after four games.

They have played against the Vikings, Lions, Raiders and Texans. 

DeMarco Murray and Lamar Miller both had solid games running the ball against the Titans, Detroit had 4 players including the QB over 30 yards.

So this should be at least a neutral match up for Miami running the ball. 

I guess that I hold onto Ajayi for another week.  Not real confident in any Miami RB though.  I like what Gase is saying but I just do not see any RB rising up and being the lead back. 

Yeah that is basically what Gase has said as well. Lets see what happens.

From my perspective he had it right in the preseason before Jay made him doubt with some dropped passes and the fumbles.

10 hours ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

I just wanted to add that Mike Zimmer has taken responsibility for bad play calls at times.

The only way anyone can stop repeating the same mistakes is by owning up to them and taking responsibility for it. I think coaches should do this more than they do. You can't fix mistakes by denying them.

I'm cautiously optimistic if they really do thin this RBBC and go with one or two guys.  The MIA line isn't great, but I think Ajayi's looked decent. Plus he's somewhat capable as a pass catcher, which helps the offense be a little less predictable when he's on the field.  

Give the kid 18-20 touches this week and see what he can do.  There's not many RBs that are going to have success when they're getting 7-8 touches in a game by way of 1-2 touches here and there. 

Is Pouncey back in the lineup?

Monitoring Foster's status closely, if he's out Ajayi may be a good spot start (he and Chris Hogan are my two biggest targets at this point).

1 minute ago, Chaka said:

Is Pouncey back in the lineup?

Monitoring Foster's status closely, if he's out Ajayi may be a good spot start (he and Chris Hogan are my two biggest targets at this point).

From what Gase said Pouncey wanted to play last week. They didn't let him because he hadn't practiced. 

Pouncey practiced on Wed and Thirsday but was limited.

The OC talks up Pouncey as a run blocker a lot in press conference a week or so ago. So if he is ready and that is true, it should be an upgrade. It isn't clear to me if he will actually play or not though.

Just listening to Gases presser now.

It sounds like Brandon Albert back, maybe. He says he is recovered from his injury, but has some sort of virus that he is dealing with now.

He won't say who will start at RB.

Gase says Pouncey should be ready to play unless something else comes up in the next 48 hours.