Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
workdog3

*** All aboard the J Train - Official Jay Ajayi Thread***

11 hours ago, Faust said:

Just reported that Sproles is now out for the season with a quad injury and that J. Howard suffered a stinger and hasn't yet be cleared for contact.

Decent chance PHI signs Ajayi. Probably would play a decent sized role.

Good thing the Eagles waited until two days before the game to bring someone in.  What were they doing over the bye week?

Just picked him up. Speculative add.

Who knows. Maybe Howard is more banged up then they are letting on.

PHI wants to run the ball. Pretty easy schedule next few weeks. If Ballage can be a pickup, why not Ajayi.

55 minutes ago, kyoun1e said:

Just picked him up. Speculative add.

Who knows. Maybe Howard is more banged up then they are letting on.

PHI wants to run the ball. Pretty easy schedule next few weeks. If Ballage can be a pickup, why not Ajayi.

Not just Howard. Sproles out for the year. They need bodies and Ajayi knows the system. 

Ian Rapoport saying it's close to done.

From NFL Now: Jay Ajayi is set to return to the #Eagles, a team suddenly in need of some RB help from a very familiar face. https://t.co/3TALh017Mb

Rotoworld:

Eagles re-signed RB Jay Ajayi.

The Eagles needed another back after Darren Sproles was placed on injured reserve. Ajayi is also an insurance option for Jordan Howard who has been dealing with a "stinger" this week. It's unclear if Ajayi will be active this Sunday but being with the organization in 2017 and 2018 helps his chances. Ajayi is merely a handcuff and depth back for Philly.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Nov 15, 2019, 3:38 PM ET

So how is everyone thinking about Ajayi now? Where would he rank? I could see him ranging from RB2 to close to irrelevant. Do we pick Ajayi up? What do you all think?

19 minutes ago, Gandalf said:

So how is everyone thinking about Ajayi now? Where would he rank? I could see him ranging from RB2 to close to irrelevant. Do we pick Ajayi up? What do you all think?

I had an open spot, so what the heck.  I think your 'RB2 to close to irrelevant' is spot on.  Not this weekend, but the next 4 weeks bode well for Philly's run game, if Ajayi can get a piece of the pie.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kittenmittens said:

Ajayi is not even worth the roster spot in deep dynasty. 

So I think you would fall into the nearly irrelevant camp

4 hours ago, oddsbodkins said:

RIP Sanders hype. Was a fun 2 hours.

Yeah, sort of a bummer. Then again, could be a depth move with Sproles out for the year.

According to everyone around here, Ajayi's done. Although they haven't seen him play a game since last season, so...

Edited by cloppbeast

25 minutes ago, Gandalf said:

So I think you would fall into the nearly irrelevant camp

Probably.  I don't think he does anything more than Sproles was doing barring an injury. 

I guess if Howard is more hurt than we know he would probably get some run. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, kittenmittens said:

Probably.  I don't think he does anything more than Sproles was doing barring an injury. 

I guess if Howard is more hurt than we know he would probably get some run. 

Picked him up for laughs, but waiting to hear more news on Howard between now and kickoff tmrw. 

If there's any rumblings that this "stinger" isn't anything long term, probably dropping Ajayi tmrw. Think Howard is only questionable too.

Rumblings here in philly are that Howard is not going to play this week.  Pederson said in his presser on Friday that Ajayi will get some work this week, FWIW

7 hours ago, unckeyherb said:

Rumblings here in philly are that Howard is not going to play this week.  Pederson said in his presser on Friday that Ajayi will get some work this week, FWIW

Gee, looks like it's sizing up to be one of those classic "everyone on the team is hurt and some guy comes up and gobbles up late season fantasy points". 

I couldn't begin to have an opinion of whether he is done or anything but when you got a RB with a clear path to play, it's hard to ignore that position in ff. I guess I'm thinking of last year. I had no clue what CJ Anderson may have left but I saw him win some people some leagues by being available at the right time.  Fresh legs and all.

14 hours ago, kyoun1e said:

Picked him up for laughs, but waiting to hear more news on Howard between now and kickoff tmrw. 

If there's any rumblings that this "stinger" isn't anything long term, probably dropping Ajayi tmrw. Think Howard is only questionable too.

Schefter just reported that Howard is out tomorrow.

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Jay Ajayi is expected to be active for Week 11 against the Patriots.

With Jordan Howard (shoulder) expected to be ruled out, the Eagles will activate Miles Sanders, Boston Scott, and Ajayi in the latter's first regular season action since initially tearing his ACL on October 7 last year. The recent signee's workload for Sunday remains unclear. Consider Sanders a low-end RB3 with Philadelphia's pass-catching role shored up all to himself, while Ajayi remains the favorite to vulture any goal line reps.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Nov 17, 2019, 12:04 AM ET

Sheft indicating Howard will be out and Ian Rapp indicating that Howard's injury is not long term. 

The injury sounds super vague. If it's not long term, I'm actually considering dropping Ajayi. There are so many lotto RBs out there.

Wish we knew more about Howard's injury. Curious if a "stinger" means there is some nerve issues going on here.

3 hours ago, kyoun1e said:

Curious if a "stinger" means there is some nerve issues going on here.

Stinger absolutely means nerve issues. In most cases where a player comes back same or next game, it's a mildly pinched nerve root (symptoms like hitting funny bone). In more severe cases the nerve can be damaged or the player can suffer a disc herniation in the neck that compresses the nerve. Rarely the disk can require surgery. 

If he's not cleared for practice, then either he still has nerve symptoms and/or he has a disc herniation. It's weird that Howard wasn't cleared for contact by Friday, which was 12 days after the injury, and the length of time in and of itself is a poor prognostic factor for return to contact and perhaps for risk of future injury. 

but this is the Jay Ajayi train thread, no the Jordan Howard thread... so it probably means there might be more opportunity for Ajayi in the next 6 weeks than we are being led to believe.

I picked him up earlier this week at the first news he was going to work out with Philly, and felt like I won the lottery at the news of his signing. Due to byes, I briefly considered starting him week 11 and looked at Ajayi's career game logs. He has 42 career games and only 5 games with over 100 yards rushing, only 14 total career TDs, and his best 3 games receiving are 52 yards, 41 yards, 31 yards; he's only had 4 games with 4 or more receptions.

If we exclude his magical 4 game stretch in 2016, he's got 38 games averaging with 466 carries, 1908 yards, 57 receptions, 396 yards receiving, and 9 total TDs. That's just under 9 ppg career average in PPR. 

3 minutes ago, xrayveggin said:

If he's not cleared for practice, then either he still has nerve symptoms and/or he has a disc herniation. It's weird that Howard wasn't cleared for contact by Friday, which was 12 days after the injury, and the length of time in and of itself is a poor prognostic factor for return to contact and perhaps for risk of future injury. 

but this is the Jay Ajayi train thread, no the Jordan Howard thread... so it probably means there might be more opportunity for Ajayi in the next 6 weeks than we are being led to believe.

"Howard has practiced all week but hasn't been cleared for contact while battling a stinger." Howard had 3 limited practices so the minute he gets cleared he's playing.

4 minutes ago, The Frankman said:

"Howard has practiced all week but hasn't been cleared for contact while battling a stinger." Howard had 3 limited practices so the minute he gets cleared he's playing.

I use poor wording and it's kind of unclear. I should have corrected it to:

"If he's not cleared for contact, then either he still has nerve symptoms and/or he has a disc herniation..."

But I think you are right, if/when he's cleared for contact, he will be playing. And even if Ajayi has opportunity, I think there's a very low chance he is able to do anything worthwhile in fantasy given he's not been competing against NFL athletes for a year - he's bound to be rusty.

Jay Ajayi never saw the field Sunday in the Eagles' Week 11 loss to New England.

He dressed for Sunday's game but didn't play. Instead, the Eagles went with Miles Sanders as their lead back with Boston Scott working in a change-of-pace capacity. Sources indicated that Ajayi would play Sunday—the Eagles signed him as insurance for injured starter Jordan Howard—but obviously coach Doug Pederson didn't feel comfortable trotting him out against New England. Even if Howard's shoulder issues persist, it's doubtful Ajayi will emerge as a fantasy option any time soon.

Nov 17, 2019, 10:10 PM ET

Zach Berman of The Athletic expects Jay Ajayi to have a "notable role" Week 12 against the Seahawks.

Ajayi was active for last week's game in New England but was only available on an emergency basis as Miles Sanders and Boston Scott handled all the Eagles' rushing work. Now that he's had a full week to acclimate himself, (the Eagles re-signed him last Friday), Ajayi should see the field against Seattle and could play a meaningful role with Jordan Howard (stinger) still not cleared for contact. It's possible Ajayi takes over as the lead ball-carrier with Sanders reverting to his usual pass-catching role, though obviously there are many parts to consider in Philadelphia's split backfield.

SOURCE: Zach Berman on Twitter

Nov 22, 2019, 11:45 AM ET

This situation isn't getting enough attention.

"[Les Bowen] BTW, strong sense that Jordan Howard’s “stinger” is more complicated than that.

https://twitter.com/LesBowen/status/1197937540952739841?s=09"

Why things are lining up for Ajayi:

• Has a 1000 yard season plus three 200 rush yard games on resume
  • Fresh legs
  • Familiar with playbook
  • Still only 26
  • The in between tackles and goal line role is vacant
  • They view Sanders as change of pace/receiver
  • One of the worst WR crew in the league and both starters are questionable.  They want to power run using 12 man two TE sets.
  • Ask yourselves if Ajayai has 13 rush 60 yard + 1TD vs Sea will he be one of the top waiver adds for week 13 @ Mia?

Eagles waived RB Jay Ajayi.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that the offense will get Jordan Howard (shoulder) back this week. Ajayi converted 10 rush attempts into 30 scoreless yards in three games with the Eagles, working well behind both Miles Sanders and Boston Scott.

RELATED: 

Jordan Howard

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Dec 23, 2019, 5:08 PM ET