What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty & Redraft: WR Chris Conley, Texans (1 Viewer)

Rotoworld:

Georgia WR Chris Conley posted 4.35 and 4.41 forty times at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Allow us to introduce you to Saturday's big winner, even over Kevin White. Conley, measuring about 6-foot-2 and 213 pounds, also posted a 11-foot-7 broad jump, third best in combine history, and a 45-inch vertical, tied for third best since 2003. Some didn't think Conley was even worth a Day 3 pick heading into today. Now, he'll be in consideration for a draft call beginning on Day 2. Yes, his testing numbers were that good. Scouts are sprinting back to hotels themselves to watch more Georgia game film.

Feb 21 - 4:30 PM
Georgia WR Chris Conley could be the receiver this year who "runs faster than expected or jumps higher than anticipated," believes TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline.

"Conley could break into the 4.3’s (listed as a 4.55s forty by scouts entering the season) and later jump north of 42-inches in the vertical," Pauline wrote. The analyst is on record as saying Conley could stick in the NFL as a No. 5 receiver. The 6-foot-2, 206-pound Conley has "good build-up speed, as well as the body control and soft hands to make tough receptions," CBS Sports' Rob Rang wrote over the summer.

Feb 20 - 4:54 PM
Source: TFY Draft Insider
Georgia senior WR Chris Conley should stick in the NFL as a No. 5 receiver, wrote TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline.

"The Bulldogs have found ways to slip receivers into the late part of the draft," Pauline wrote. "Receivers who then go on to have moderate success on Sunday. Kris Durham immediately comes to mind and Conley could be next. The sure handed pass catcher is a consistent underneath target who finds ways to get open or wins out in battles. Though his production has been slightly down this season the senior comes through for Georgia during important moments, including late in the Georgia Tech game on Saturday. His pre-draft workouts won’t excite anyone but his work ethic and personality will surely be embraced by NFL coaches and will help him stick as a fifth receiver." The 6-foot-2, 206-pound Conley has "good build-up speed, as well as the body control and soft hands to make tough receptions," CBS Sports' Rob Rang wrote over the summer.

Mon, Dec 1, 2014 11:41:00 PM
Source: TFY Draft Insider
Georgia senior WR Chris Conley caught five passes for 128 yards and a touchdown in Saturday's win versus Arkansas.

Conley has "solid hands and good enough speed," an AFC scout told NFL.com last month. "He's a heady player in routes, really good at finding soft spots in zones." We think, best-case scenario, that he projects as a third or fourth receiver at the next level. The 6-foot-2, 206-pound Conley has "good build-up speed, as well as the body control and soft hands to make tough receptions," CBS Sports' Rob Rang wrote over the summer.

Sun, Oct 19, 2014 07:16:00 PM

Doubt that. It the Seahawks MO of late to draft some unknown athletic freaks (He is no longer unkown of course). Someone on twitter suggested that a team might consider changing his position to corner if he doesn't pan out at WR. He has the physical attributes. I am guessing since I only watched the one game on draftbreakdown but he caught every thing thrown to him. i bet he is going to get drafted.

Conley:

Height: 6015
Weight: 213
40 Yrd Dash: 4.35
20 Yrd Dash:
10 Yrd Dash:

225 Lb. Bench Reps: 18
Vertical Jump: 45
Broad Jump: 11'07"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.30
3-Cone Drill: 7.06

DHB

Height: 6015
Weight: 210
40 Yrd Dash: 4.25
20 Yrd Dash: 2.50
10 Yrd Dash: 1.44

225 Lb. Bench Reps: 16
Vertical Jump: 38 1/2
Broad Jump: 10'06"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.18
3-Cone Drill: 6.80

Doubt that. It the Seahawks MO of late to draft some unknown athletic freaks (He is no longer unkown of course). Someone on twitter suggested that a team might consider changing his position to corner if he doesn't pan out at WR. He has the physical attributes. I am guessing since I only watched the one game on draftbreakdown but he caught every thing thrown to him. i bet he is going to get drafted.
He might, but I wouldn't.

I'd take DHB with solid hands.
DHB had more catches his 3 years in college than Conley had in 4.

Conley also dropped a couple passes in the gauntlet.
I've never watched him, just going of the couple blurbs right above your post that say he has solid hands. If his measurables are just like DHBs then that's not a negative, since DHB didn't have much trouble getting open, he just dropped a ton of balls.

Conley's an interesting prospect - he was a deep threat on a team that rarely threw deep. Very good per-target numbers - 12.0 yards per target - but not a lot of targets. Georgia only had 5 40+ yard completions this year, and 3 of them went to Conley. As a fraction of his team's passing production, his numbers were just slightly behind Dorsett's in Miami.

I've never watched him, just going of the couple blurbs right above your post that say he has solid hands. If his measurables are just like DHBs then that's not a negative, since DHB didn't have much trouble getting open, he just dropped a ton of balls.
There are only two games on draftbreakdown and maybe 10 targets total so I don't have enough to judge him. He runs well, tracks the ball better than DHB, and only had one drop in those two games.

His usage has been strange - 4.1 receptions/game in 2013 and 2.8 receptions/game in 2014.

He could be like Martavis Bryant, another talented guy who never played up to his ability in college. Will be interesting to see what round Conley is drafted.

Draftbreakdown just got two of his games up today. Hands look pretty good in these two games at least, generally catching with his hands, nicely over the shoulder, and he makes a pretty sick one handed TD grab in the Tennessee game. Will be very interesting to see where he gets drafted.

cstu said:

There are only two games on draftbreakdown and maybe 10 targets total so I don't have enough to judge him. He runs well, tracks the ball better than DHB, and only had one drop in those two games.

His usage has been strange - 4.1 receptions/game in 2013 and 2.8 receptions/game in 2014.

He could be like Martavis Bryant, another talented guy who never played up to his ability in college. Will be interesting to see what round Conley is drafted.
someone on another board posted a comparison to Wallace's stats in college:Wallace 35 games 15 tds 6 100 yard games

Conley 42 games 20 tds 5 100 yard games

So maybe Wallace or Bryant is his upside. I agree it's strange.

cstu said:
Bryant played pretty much up to his ability. He was overshadowed on his team by 2 other WRs that would get drafted highly, though. Those guys were the more polished and more well rounded WRs and thus the focus of Clemson's offense. Bryant flashed his raw athletic ability in games and many, myself included, called him out as a guy who would blow up the combine. Conley doesn't flash that insane speed and explosiveness on the field. Looks like a timid player when the snap goes off and his combine was a shocker to pretty much everyone. Maybe everyone just missed it and didn't notice it before? I don't know. It's just strange. I know I'll be going back and watching as much on him as I can. I've already watched both clips on draftbreakdown. I'm still not seeing that rare athletic ability translate on the field. Need more, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
cstu said:

someone on another board posted a comparison to Wallace's stats in college:Wallace 35 games 15 tds 6 100 yard games

Conley 42 games 20 tds 5 100 yard games

So maybe Wallace or Bryant is his upside. I agree it's strange.
I'd throw in the Hills, Jason and Stephen, too. Just as a reminder that the main difference between Conley and someone with a much longer resume is that he's higher risk. But Wallace and Bryant are the case in his Conley's favor. Javon Walker, too -- except he was drafted in the first round.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd rather have Darren Waller before Conley. Waller's jumps are more impressive when factoring in weight.

I'd rather have Darren Waller before Conley. Waller's jumps are more impressive when factoring in weight.
Conly has bigger hands and arm length than Waller who is 4 inches taller.
And that's more important because?
First off, check that snarky attitude at the door mister.

You think that Waller is more impressive because of his vertical number with his weight. However, they are very close in BMI and I think Conley had 8" more in his vert. Which is a considerable difference.

To my point about the hands, Conley has 9 7/8 vs Waller who is at 9. Again a considerable difference and it is important because most receivers catch with their hands. The arm length ties into the jumps because between the better jumps and arm length Conley might have a better catch radius than/or at least equal to that of the bigger receiver.

Now, if you want to go with the shuttle times as you point I would understand. Solid lateral movement from the big man. They did do about the same in the 3 cone.

I'm not saying that Waller is bad. His numbers are impressive for his size but I think you're fighting an uphill battle on this one.

You think that Waller is more impressive because of his vertical number with his weight. However, they are very close in BMI and I think Conley had 8" more in his vert. Which is a considerable difference.

To my point about the hands, Conley has 9 7/8 vs Waller who is at 9. Again a considerable difference and it is important because most receivers catch with their hands. The arm length ties into the jumps because between the better jumps and arm length Conley might have a better catch radius than/or at least equal to that of the bigger receiver.

Now, if you want to go with the shuttle times as you point I would understand. Solid lateral movement from the big man. They did do about the same in the 3 cone.

I'm not saying that Waller is bad. His numbers are impressive for his size but I think you're fighting an uphill battle on this one.
Can you prove that having bigger hands is an advantage for catching for everyone? Jumping farther and and having longer arms does not automatically equal a bigger catch radius. I'd like for you to prove that one as well.

I'm not saying Conley is bad either. I just understand how he has more hype than Waller when you put everything into context.

I don't it's think the snarky attitude that needs investigation, but rather the general point. If common sense didn't suggest hand size and arm length are critical, how about the fact that they measure them at the combine? C'mon now people, keep your eye on the ball.

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Mel Kiper confirmed Georgia WR Chris Conley's stock is up after his ridiculous NFL Scouting Combine performance.
Conley (6-foot-2 and 213 pounds) posted 4.35 and 4.41 forty times at the combine, adding a 11-foot-7 broad jump, third best in combine history, and a 45-inch vertical, tied for third best since 2003. "Yes, he moves up some on his fantastic 40 and crazy-good vertical, but Conley did produce as well, with 91 receptions over the last three seasons," Kiper wrote. Conley is on the Day 2 line right now.

Source: ESPN Insider
Mar 1 - 2:02 PM

Rotoworld:

The Patriots staff, including HC Bill Belichick, put Georgia WR Chris Conley through an on-campus workout on Wednesday.

Georgia's pro day is not until March 18, but teams can visit prospects on campus as often as they want. It is one way teams work around the 30 allotted in-house visits. COnley blew up the Combine with his combination of straight-line speed and explosive jumps, but his change of direction was well below average. We wonder how high Conley will go in the draft, and if the third-round is a legitimate possibility.

Source: Kelin Johnson on Twitter
Mar 5 - 10:03 AM

Rotoworld:

Chris Conley - WR - Bulldogs

Georgia WR Chris Conley "has gone from a potential free agent and moved into the Day 3 mix" due to his postseason work, according to ESPN's Steve Muench.

Some would even say he's in the Day 2 mix. You probably know by now the reason for the jump. Conley (6-foot-2 and 213 pounds) posted 4.35 and 4.41 forty times at the combine, adding a 11-foot-7 broad jump, third best in combine history, and a 45-inch vertical, tied for third best since 2003. All are important metrics for receivers. "He didn't have a breakout senior season, so he has flown under the radar," Muench wrote. "He flashes big-play ability and good ball skills, most notably on the Arkansas tape, but he appears faster than quick and is a little mechanical as a route runner."

Source: ESPN Insider

Mar 7 - 8:05 PM

Rotoworld:

Georgia WR Chris Conley had a private workout with Houston Texans HC Bill O’Brien at UGA pro day, according to Online Athens's Marc Weiszer.
"A little bit about philosophy and a little bit about just the way that I prepare and the way that I play the game," Conley told Online Athens. "I had a pretty good, almost an hour meeting with him." With the Texans looking for talent at the WR position, now that Andre Johnson has departed, the 6-foot-2, 213-pound Conley could be a day 3 option for the Texans. The Georgia prospect impressed evaluators with a 4.35 40-yard dash, a 45-inch vertical, 11'7" broad jump, and 18 reps on the bench press at the combine.

Source: OnlineAthens.com
Mar 18 - 3:51 PM

Falcons logo made Georgia draft prospect Chris Conley a fanExcerpt:

Conley is on the verge of making his own mark, as he continues his ascent. The 6-foot-2-inch, 217-pound specimen created a buzz at the combine by running a 4.35 in the 40-yard dash -- third-fastest of the receivers -- posting a 41-inch vertical leap and throwing up 18 reps on the bench press. Conley showed his ability on the field during Georgia's pro day this week with his fluid motions from his initial get-off and in and out of his breaks to his sharp hand-eye coordination. Not to mention how impressive the scholarly Conley is while conducting interviews, a trait Conley said he developed having a mother who is an English teacher. His impressive off-the-field résumé also includes a "Star Wars" fan film he produced and directed.

Conley, initially projected as a fourth or fifth-round selection, worked out for the Carolina Panthers following his pro day. The journalism major was asked about the Falcons' level of interest.

"I haven't had much going on with them in terms of their coaches or working out for them, but people are always watching," Conley said. "You've got to be ready for everything.

"I think they are a program that's rebuilding. They're a program that's taking a new direction right now with a new head coach [Dan Quinn]. I think they are putting themselves in a position to be successful."

Rotoworld:

Chris Conley - WR - Bulldogs
The Cowboys will put Georgia WR Chris Conley and QB Hutson Mason through a private workout this week.
Conley was one of the best performers at the NFL Combine so expect a number of teams to give him a second look in the next month due to Georgia's run first offense. Mason is likely an undrafted free agent, but some evaluators have praised his willingness to stick to the pocket and throw to contested receivers.

Source: Marc Weiszer on Twitter
Mar 26 - 1:26 PM

Rotoworld:

Georgia WR Chris Conley has visits scheduled with the Eagles and Colts, according to Alex Marvez.
Conley could be viewed as the top athlete at wide receiver in this draft. His exposures were limited in Georgia's offense, so a team might extrapolate off his contested catches and explosion and see a large amount of upside. We have no idea where Conley could be drafted, but third-round seems achievable.

Source: Alex Marvez on Twitter
Mar 30 - 1:05 PM

Rotoworld:

Georgia WR Chris Conley recently visited the Seahawks.
The Seahawks have not prioritized athleticism at receiver the last few years, but Conley would flip that script. According to Zach Whitman, Conley's SPARQ score (which is a composite for athletic testing) places him in the 98.8 percentile of all NFL players. Conley was not that consistent at Georgia but also was not given a large number of opportunities in a run focused offense.

Source: Instagram
Apr 21 - 10:32 AM

Users who are viewing this thread