Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Ramsay Hunt Experience

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread***

Recommended Posts

24 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

right next to USC, and LA Memorial Coliseum... nice.

 

really beautiful stadium :thumbup:

South Central FC

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

don't know if it was planned as part of RBNY's stadium or just an offshoot, but the area of Harrison NJ immediately surrounding the stadium (on both sides of the train-tracks) is exploding with development.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sammy3469 said:

I had the EXACT same thoughts when I saw that. he would be amazing in mls. and rich in china.

 

or he could be one of those handful of purists who dream of playing in Brazil.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, El Floppo said:

don't know if it was planned as part of RBNY's stadium or just an offshoot, but the area of Harrison NJ immediately surrounding the stadium (on both sides of the train-tracks) is exploding with development.

Both?  I mean this is going back 10 years in my memory bank, but the big selling point back then of the development it would spur since it forced New Jersey to straighten out/improve the infrastructure in that area.  It may have just taken 10 years to reach critical mass and/or for the developers to get the funding, land, etc they needed.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

I had the EXACT same thoughts when I saw that. he would be amazing in mls. and rich in china.

 

or he could be one of those handful of purists who dream of playing in Brazil.

I don't think Brazilians even dream of playing in Brazil.  

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sammy3469 said:

Both?  I mean this is going back 10 years in my memory bank, but the big selling point back then of the development it would spur since it forced New Jersey to straighten out/improve the infrastructure in that area.  It may have just taken 10 years to reach critical mass and/or for the developers to get the funding, land, etc they needed.  

I've been taking the train a lot this summer- Ocean Grove, NJ for the beach on NJ Transit and Wilmington or DC for the inlaws on Amtrak. I usually sit facing east just so I can see the stadium along the way. the last couple of times I've sat facing west and was surprised by the new buildings both already there and under construction: housing, mixed-use retail/housing... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Sammy3469 thinking about going to the closing regular season game at NYCFC, just in case it's the last chance to see Pirlo and Lamps... it's also the only early game, so I can take #1 son. 

any thoughts on best place for seats? in my visits so far, I've got nothing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yedlin to Newcastle to replace the parting Janmaat.  I think it's a good move for him.  Trippier locked in the back-up RB spot for Tottenham and he's not going anywhere soon.  It's the Championship, but it's significant playing time under a good manager and they will likely be back in the EPL next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

Yeah I did see that.  Would be interesting seeing him in MLS, not sure what position he'd play here though.  Just a matter of time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, B Maverick said:

Yeah I did see that.  Would be interesting seeing him in MLS, not sure what position he'd play here though.  Just a matter of time.

I think the best role for him would be figuring out as soon as possible that he can't out run any one in the league and if he just concentrates on being a great passer, he could have a very good affect on a team.  

He would have to be a bit of a luxury player but his skill set would work well for certain MLS teams if he played behind two hard working strikers and then had a pitbull behind him to clean up.

This of course relates to what he is now.  If he comes as the 34 year old version of Rooney, I have no idea what to expect.

Edited by NewlyRetired

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, B Maverick said:

Yeah I did see that.  Would be interesting seeing him in MLS, not sure what position he'd play here though.  Just a matter of time.

I wonder if having his younger brother having been on the books at RBNY might have any leverage for him wanting to play here? not sure who's first in line for the fancy DP slot, or what this week's version of the rules are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

fwiw- I'd be happy with both Schweiny and Rooney at RBs... would both fill needed slots here.

 

speaking of DPs... Mix continues to not even dress for NYCFC- anybody know more about this? I'll take the question over to the US thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

I think the best role for him would be figuring out as soon as possible that he can't out run any one in the league and if he just concentrates on being a great passer, he could have a very good affect on a team.  

He would have to be a bit of a luxury player but his skill set would work well for certain MLS teams if he played behind two hard working strikers and then had a pitbull behind him to clean up.

This of course relates to what he is now.  If this is the 34 year version of Rooney, I have no idea what to expect.

 

6 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

I wonder if having his younger brother having been on the books at RBNY might have any leverage for him wanting to play here? not sure who's first in line for the fancy DP slot, or what this week's version of the rules are.

His first touch is horrible but his long passing is good.  I can't imagine either are going to improve in the next couple seasons.  He works hard but doesnt have the speed anymore.  He seems to be afraid to shoot at times, esp with his left.  By the time he gets here he may have to play a pirlo, valderamma role.  Just not sure his first touch will allow for that.

Sadly he may be better off retiring but will probably go for that one last payday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

fwiw- I'd be happy with both Schweiny and Rooney at RBs... would both fill needed slots here.

 

speaking of DPs... Mix continues to not even dress for NYCFC- anybody know more about this? I'll take the question over to the US thread.

can you afford to slow fat guys sitting in the middle of your park?

 

oh damn, don't tell anyone in Germany i said that, they may want me to go to jail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, El Floppo said:

@Sammy3469 thinking about going to the closing regular season game at NYCFC, just in case it's the last chance to see Pirlo and Lamps... it's also the only early game, so I can take #1 son. 

any thoughts on best place for seats? in my visits so far, I've got nothing.

Little Sammyinho will be most dissappointed in your choice of players since we're apparently big David Villa fans (yes I now own MLS merchandise).  I'm actually aiming to go to that match as well for the same reasons if you want to cornhole.

In terms of seats.  The one time we went we were in the first row of 211 in May.  Good view, but it was a little cold since it was in the shade and your back from the railing so it was sort of hard for the little one to see over it.  I didn't walk around, to the other side, but I'd be tempted to try the lower row seats 228-33A/B sections since they are in the sun or the 237/8 bleachers.  The hardcores are in 135/6 so the atmosphere is probably a little better over there anyway.  

The other spot would be the 202/3 bleachers.  

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Sammy3469 said:

Little Sammyinho will be most dissappointed in your choice of players since we're apparently big David Villa fans (yes I now own MLS merchandise).  I'm actually aiming to go to that match as well for the same reasons if you want to cornhole.

In terms of seats.  The one time we went we were in the first row of 211 in May.  Good view, but it was a little cold since it was in the shade and your back from the railing so it was sort of hard for the little one to see over it.  I didn't walk around, to the other side, but I'd be tempted to try the lower row seats 228-33A/B sections since they are in the sun or the 237/8 bleachers.  The hardcores are in 135/6 so the atmosphere is probably a little better over there anyway.  

The other spot would be the 202/3 bleachers.  

 

wow- forgot about Villa. 

202/3/4 look good- that's the one area I haven't tried... everywhere else has sucked, tbh... with the worst being up in the ####### stratosphere in the low 40s. best was in 136- but only for when the game was heading our way. high 220s were ok, but not as good as expected- kinda the same with the 214ish... but those were ok.

 

eta: would the 103-6 be too low? trying to figure out what they're priced relatively lower compared to across the field.

Edited by El Floppo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

fwiw- I'd be happy with both Schweiny and Rooney at RBs... would both fill needed slots here.

 

speaking of DPs... Mix continues to not even dress for NYCFC- anybody know more about this? I'll take the question over to the US thread.

Short answer is Iriola/McNamara are better and with the the formation they run he isn't playing over Lamps, Pirlo, etc.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

wow- forgot about Villa. 

202/3/4 look good- that's the one area I haven't tried... everywhere else has sucked, tbh... with the worst being up in the ####### stratosphere in the low 40s. best was in 136- but only for when the game was heading our way. high 220s were ok, but not as good as expected- kinda the same with the 214ish... but those were ok.

 

eta: would the 103-6 be too low? trying to figure out what they're priced relatively lower compared to across the field.

I think the sweetspot there is top of 103 bottom of 203.  136 is the supporters section, correct?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, jonessed said:

Yedlin to Newcastle to replace the parting Janmaat.  I think it's a good move for him.  Trippier locked in the back-up RB spot for Tottenham and he's not going anywhere soon.  It's the Championship, but it's significant playing time under a good manager and they will likely be back in the EPL next year.

Yedlin will be speaking with a Geordie accent if he stays in that region for much longer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Robbie Keane announced his retirement from Ireland duties following upcoming game vs Oman.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Robbie Keane announced his retirement from Ireland duties following upcoming game vs O'Man.

Fixed

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Robbie Keane announced his retirement from Ireland duties following upcoming game vs Oman.

:kicksrock:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

LAFC broke ground today on the Banc of California Stadium (Rendering of stadium )

Old school sports fans would know the old Los Angeles Sports Arena, where the Lakers, Clippers, UCLA and USC all called home at one time or another.  This old building will be demolished and the new soccer stadium will go up in the same spot.

 

I wonder if this stadium is going to steal all the Nats games and friendlies that Home Depot gets. I'm guessing it will. This new one is a further drive from San Diego. Home Depot is super easy to get to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Robbie Keane announced his retirement from Ireland duties following upcoming game vs Oman.

Keane is sitting in 15th place for all time scorers for National Teams.

He is one behind Gerd Muller.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Ramsay Hunt Experience said:

Seems like the Eidur Gudjohnsen to Pune City FC news is too big for the generic soccer thread.  Should I start a new thread?

:blondemaradonna:

: blondemaradonna:...so good.  The world stands on its head...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Sebowski said:

 

I wonder if this stadium is going to steal all the Nats games and friendlies that Home Depot gets. I'm guessing it will. This new one is a further drive from San Diego. Home Depot is super easy to get to.

#LeftCoast problems...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Ramsay Hunt Experience said:

You even approach Der Bomber's total, you better retire and apologize.

FWIW, Der Bomber had his 68 international goals in a tidy 62 appearances.

Whenever has a "Bomber" been  "tidy"?

Nevertheless...damn, that's impressive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sebowski said:

 

I wonder if this stadium is going to steal all the Nats games and friendlies that Home Depot  StubHub Center gets. I'm guessing it will. This new one is a further drive from San Diego. Home Depot is super easy to get to.

its only an added 30-45 mins.  I guess it depends on the field condition though or seating capacity.  Stub Hub's pitch always looks horrible.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, B Maverick said:

its only an added 30-45 mins.  I guess it depends on the field condition though or seating capacity.  Stub Hub's pitch always looks horrible.  

Hi B Mav, I grew up in Seal and anything that takes 30-45 mins with 0 traffic will take an hour 30 to two 30 in the evening. That said, the hipsters in Manhattan beach will eat that #### up 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That would double the transfer record for a US national.  I wasn't able to find a comprehensive list but the transfer records I've been able to find show Altidore to Sunderland at €10M Bradley to Toronto and Dempsey to Spurs both at around €7.5M.  

Am I forgetting someone?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shaqiri ( :wub::wub::wub: ) , Cameron, Bojan, Afellay, and Nachos. If they add Sister Christian I might have to go all in on Stoke. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chelsea looking to buy AC Milan's CB Romagnoli for 40-50 mil.  That's insane...Milan just bought him for 25 m last year (a fee deemed excessive, even then...& he's preformed so-so.  The talent is there, not sure about the rest.  Also, Arsenal trying to secure Roma's CB Manolas.  Ugh...now with no CL leverage, Roma is in dire straits.  Up the Saints!...:unsure:

...hmmmm...Stoke City , you say?

Edited by Kafka

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sebowski said:

Shaqiri ( :wub::wub::wub: ) , Cameron, Bojan, Afellay, and Nachos. If they add Sister Christian I might have to go all in on Stoke. 

Right there with you GB.

Maybe my procrastination of making an ***official*** EPL team selection was God telling me to wait for the American savior. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Kafka said:

Chelsea looking to buy AC Milan's CB Romagnoli for 40-50 mil.  That's insane...Milan just bought him for 25 m last year (a fee deemed excessive, even then...& he's preformed so-so.  The talent is there, not sure about the rest.  Also, Arsenal trying to secure Roma's CB Manolas.  Ugh...now with no CL leverage, Roma is in dire straits.  Up the Saints!...:unsure:

...hmmmm...Stoke City , you say?

Were you hiding in the trees last night?  I was all set with my Porto chants, but didn't see you at practice. :kicksrock: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Ned said:

Were you hiding in the trees last night?  I was all set with my Porto chants, but didn't see you at practice. :kicksrock: 

Maybe...

Nah, son was sick...I think the official diagnosis was "backtoschoolitis", or something.

Edited by Kafka
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, roadkill1292 said:

Pulisic to the PL :excited:

TransferTalk®

Take it to the Silly Season thread

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Question: How long will Liverpool keep faith with Jürgen Klopp?

 

Under Klopp, Liverpool have taken 1.59 points per game. Under Brendan Rodgers, Liverpool averaged 1.88 points per game.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sinn Fein said:

The Question: How long will Liverpool keep faith with Jürgen Klopp?

 

Under Klopp, Liverpool have taken 1.59 points per game. Under Brendan Rodgers, Liverpool averaged 1.88 points per game.

 

 

Kind of a silly comparison.  He'll be judged on this season, not on the combination of this season and last.  Brendan's numbers are inflated by a magical season with a world-class Suarez, and Klopp's are deflated by inheriting a beaten down team that Brendan basically destroyed.  But alas, as I said, those are just media stats.  No one that matters in the LFC world cares about them.

It is ironic that after the Arsenal game, Liverpool fans were talking 1st place, and after a Burnley loss, they are talking about Jurgen Klopp's future.  Such a disfunctional fan-base that's in desperate need of a good season.  The parallels to Alabama football pre-Saban (and year 1 Saban) are so similar. (shaky first season, rumblings of dis-satisfaction among the fan-base, disastrous losses to far inferior teams, mixed with games and moments that showed the amazing potential of what could be) The difference Klopp has is that he doesn't have the ability to bring in the best talent like Saban did, so he'll have to get it done with on-field training and shrewd transfer moves.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey @Sinn Fein,

Non-shtick question.  I've read some discussion about Tottenham's defense two years ago as Pochettino implemented his pressing system.  The discussions I read were that it can be difficult to implement that intense pressing system without also opening up holes in the defense at times, but that after the team adjusted and solidified, the defense was much better.

Do you feel that the improvement in Tott's defense last year was due to the players learning the system, or different players being added?

I feel Liverpool are at times having a hard time adjusting to the high press and attacking system that Klopp is implementing.  At times when we turn the ball over (such as the first Arsenal goal where Moreno was way up-field), we dont' get back into position or understand how to cover.  As such, it seems like even though our mistakes in a game are few, they are always deadly (small sample size of course).  I think the additions of Matip and ultimately Karius will help, but I'd also imagine that over the season a better understanding of Klopp's system will help in this area as well. 

Just wanted your perspective on the improvement of a Tottenham defense that was seen as shaky 2 years ago, and very good last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ned said:

Right there with you GB.

Maybe my procrastination of making an ***official*** EPL team selection was God telling me to wait for the American savior. 

Can Stoke be named the ***Official*** club team of the FFA via unanimous consent?

Let me know and I'll start the thread.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Spurs' defensive improvement is down to a combination of three things:

 

1.  Eric Dier.  In 2014/15, Spurs played primarily with Ryan Mason and Nabil Bentaleb as the CM2 (in the 4231).  Neither would be considered a defensive midfielder, and neither played that role particularly well.  Last season, Dier took over the DM role in that pairing, and did a fantastic job shielding the back 4.  Oddly enough though, his position is under some fire this year by Victor Wanyama, who plays a similar role, but can be a bit more aggressive.

2.  Toby Alderweireld.  Alderweireld and Vertonghen are probably the best CB pairing in the Premier League, partly due to their familiarity with each other, but most due to Alderweireld's ability to read the game.  He is rarely out of position.  He also has enough pace to combine with reading the game that allows Spurs to play the high defensive line.  The previous CBs - Kaboul and Fazio had neither the pace nor the ability to read the game.

3.  Coaching.  It helped to the get the right pieces in place - but Poch had a pretty consistent line-up, even in the Europa group stage that gave everyone game time with each other and they built a solid understanding.  When Vertonghen was injured last season, Wimmer was able to step in seamlessly - and Spurs had to reward him with a new contract this summer to stave off suitors.

A couple of other factors - Walker was injury-free, and stepped up a level at RB, and Rose became a better defender at LB.  Lamela has always been a good defensive Attacking Midfielder, but last season saw Eriksen improve on the left side, tracking back more and helping out - so it was partly a team commitment to press and close down all over the pitch, as it was specific defensive improvements in the back.

 

I will add something else in terms of an observation between the differences between Poch and Klopp - Liverpool seem to have a lot of muscle injuries, while Spurs, and Southampton before that, seem to have avoided those muscle injures that come from high workloads.  I don't think that is a coincidence, but I don't know what Poch is doing differently - in terms of allowing muscle recovery, because he famously has tough training sessions, and even has two-a-days into the season.

Edited by Sinn Fein
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.