What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (5 Viewers)

I've officially lost my mind. I was watching Leicester City play South Hampton when Drinkwater got called for a handball in the box. SH took one of the worst pk's I've ever seen but with 3 players crashing the box they were able to still score, of course I was posting in here since LC is now staring at being winless through 3 games. So not only am I now dreaming of random EPL games, but I'm posting in the game day thread in my dreams. No more drinking to kafka levels on Wednesday

@roadkill1292...on second thought, for "your" Serie A team, I think you'd grow fond of Sassuolo... they're in Europe, & have a pretty good story behind them.  Their progression the last few years has been remarkable.  Like you too much to inflict the pain that is Roma upon your sensibilities... :topcat:
always liked Chievo's story too... don't remember if they're still in the A.

but really- FORZA NERAZZURRI.

I thought the Friday EPL matches were going to become a regular thing but it seems to only be a handful of games.  Are they just testing it out to see how well they do?

That would double the transfer record for a US national.  I wasn't able to find a comprehensive list but the transfer records I've been able to find show Altidore to Sunderland at €10M Bradley to Toronto and Dempsey to Spurs both at around €7.5M.  

Am I forgetting someone?
No Jozy was the previous high.  I think it was actually Deuce before that and that was like $4 million.

looking at RHE's av always makes me a little... :hot:

did I mention meeting up with gbs from HS, one of whom is a SF sports-radio/journalist. said they had wondo on the show and he couldn't have been nicer- really humble, articulate, knowledgable. local guy too (to SF) which I didn't know. morther rucker.

I think Spurs' defensive improvement is down to a combination of three things:

1.  Eric Dier.  In 2014/15, Spurs played primarily with Ryan Mason and Nabil Bentaleb as the CM2 (in the 4231).  Neither would be considered a defensive midfielder, and neither played that role particularly well.  Last season, Dier took over the DM role in that pairing, and did a fantastic job shielding the back 4.  Oddly enough though, his position is under some fire this year by Victor Wanyama, who plays a similar role, but can be a bit more aggressive.

2.  Toby Alderweireld.  Alderweireld and Vertonghen are probably the best CB pairing in the Premier League, partly due to their familiarity with each other, but most due to Alderweireld's ability to read the game.  He is rarely out of position.  He also has enough pace to combine with reading the game that allows Spurs to play the high defensive line.  The previous CBs - Kaboul and Fazio had neither the pace nor the ability to read the game.

3.  Coaching.  It helped to the get the right pieces in place - but Poch had a pretty consistent line-up, even in the Europa group stage that gave everyone game time with each other and they built a solid understanding.  When Vertonghen was injured last season, Wimmer was able to step in seamlessly - and Spurs had to reward him with a new contract this summer to stave off suitors.

A couple of other factors - Walker was injury-free, and stepped up a level at RB, and Rose became a better defender at LB.  Lamela has always been a good defensive Attacking Midfielder, but last season saw Eriksen improve on the left side, tracking back more and helping out - so it was partly a team commitment to press and close down all over the pitch, as it was specific defensive improvements in the back.

I will add something else in terms of an observation between the differences between Poch and Klopp - Liverpool seem to have a lot of muscle injuries, while Spurs, and Southampton before that, seem to have avoided those muscle injures that come from high workloads.  I don't think that is a coincidence, but I don't know what Poch is doing differently - in terms of allowing muscle recovery, because he famously has tough training sessions, and even has two-a-days into the season.
Good points.  As to the Liverpool muscle injuries, a lot of those came in the first two months of his tenure and haven't really been an issue since.

Basicallt the mid-season move from Rodgers to Klopp had a big impact on an unfit team.

Internazionale  is apparently close to procuring the services of the one & only Gabigol!™...who apparently is a FM legend.  So you have that going for you, which is nice...

CL draw coming up!  Though we give each other a hard time, I'm happy for Tottenham.  It's a great experience.  Looking forward to seeing where Tott and Leicester end up.  City hopefully gets a horrible draw, and Arsenal, meh it doesn't really matter much.

Lol..."don't remember if they're still in the A"...they just beat Internazionale 2-0 last week. I know, I know..."those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones"...but still,  :lmao:

Hey GB @Sinn Fein, resident Spurs expert.  

It seems our Spurs are really busy right now and filling up the transfer rumor mill more than usual.  (My experience as a dedicated fan only goes back a few years.)

Here's the things rumored in the works currently.  

Incoming:  Zaha, N'Koudou, some backup goalie on loan, Calhanoglu

Outgoing: Bentaleb, Son, N'Jie

And these are just the rumors.  Yedlin is already gone, Wanyama and Jannsen already in.

So is all this activity just to ensure depth for the UCL?  I understand the subtractions aren't huge and largely contingent on the incomings, but any further thoughts on why so much activity?  I'm enjoying the changes tho, they are exciting.  I just really didn't see some of these move coming, primarily I guess Zaha.

CL draw coming up!  Though we give each other a hard time, I'm happy for Tottenham.  It's a great experience.  Looking forward to seeing where Tott and Leicester end up.  City hopefully gets a horrible draw, and Arsenal, meh it doesn't really matter much.
:kicksrock:

I've officially lost my mind. I was watching Leicester City play South Hampton when Drinkwater got called for a handball in the box. SH took one of the worst pk's I've ever seen but with 3 players crashing the box they were able to still score, of course I was posting in here since LC is now staring at being winless through 3 games. So not only am I now dreaming of random EPL games, but I'm posting in the game day thread in my dreams. No more drinking to kafka levels on Wednesday
How bout it...try Tuesday.

Hey @Sinn Fein,

Non-shtick question.  I've read some discussion about Tottenham's defense two years ago as Pochettino implemented his pressing system.  The discussions I read were that it can be difficult to implement that intense pressing system without also opening up holes in the defense at times, but that after the team adjusted and solidified, the defense was much better.

Do you feel that the improvement in Tott's defense last year was due to the players learning the system, or different players being added?

I feel Liverpool are at times having a hard time adjusting to the high press and attacking system that Klopp is implementing.  At times when we turn the ball over (such as the first Arsenal goal where Moreno was way up-field), we dont' get back into position or understand how to cover.  As such, it seems like even though our mistakes in a game are few, they are always deadly (small sample size of course).  I think the additions of Matip and ultimately Karius will help, but I'd also imagine that over the season a better understanding of Klopp's system will help in this area as well. 

Just wanted your perspective on the improvement of a Tottenham defense that was seen as shaky 2 years ago, and very good last year.

Shaderham, you already looking for an "out"?
:unsure:

Prediction: Tott draw Benfca and Napoli and Spurs fans think they can win the group.  Instead they get 3rd after dropping points to Besiktas in Turkey to seal their fate.

Hey GB @Sinn Fein, resident Spurs expert.  

It seems our Spurs are really busy right now and filling up the transfer rumor mill more than usual.  (My experience as a dedicated fan only goes back a few years.)

Here's the things rumored in the works currently.  

Incoming:  Zaha, N'Koudou, some backup goalie on loan, Calhanoglu

Outgoing: Bentaleb, Son, N'Jie

And these are just the rumors.  Yedlin is already gone, Wanyama and Jannsen already in.

So is all this activity just to ensure depth for the UCL?  I understand the subtractions aren't huge and largely contingent on the incomings, but any further thoughts on why so much activity?  I'm enjoying the changes tho, they are exciting.  I just really didn't see some of these move coming, primarily I guess Zaha.

N'Koudou - brings a bit of pace and "trickery" to the wing - a missing element in the squad right now.  N'jie was supposed to fill that role, but is still a bit raw - hence the deal hinges on them swapping places.

Zaha - I think this is just a contingency if Son and  Chadli are sold.  Rumors are Pochettino is not enamored with Son, and if Wolfsburg comes up with a big enough bid he could go back to Germany.  Chadli just does not fit the high energy needed from the wing, but he is not being forced out, just has to make a decision on how much he wants to play.

Pau - the back-up goalie from Espanyol - I think this one is done, pending a medical, loan with an option to buy - he is the long-term replacement for Lloris, and might even allow for Vorm to be sold this transfer window or in January.  Lloris' injury makes Vorm's transfer a bit tougher at the moment, though Lloris is expected back after the international break.

Calhanoglu - this one is really the long-term (as early as next season) replacement for Eriksen.  Word is that Eriksen is not completely happy at Spurs - mostly from being moved from the #10 role to the AML role to accommodate Alli in the center.  Eriksen has not yet signed his contract extension and, while it is still expected to happen, he could be off next summer.  I think he always looked at Spurs as a stepping stone to a club like Real Madrid - and while he is a good player, he has not developed into a galactico...

ETA - this one also relies on outgoing sales - Levy is not going to buck the trend of zero net-spend just because they have CL...

Bentaleb - real fall from grace - went from starting MF to out of the picture, and burned a few bridges along the way.  It started when he and his reps dragged out contract negotiations last summer, and even went public with their frustration.  Then Bentaleb got injured, lost his place in the first team, then decided to return from injury by playing for Algeria before he had been back in the squad - and proceeded to get injured again playing for Algeria.  The last straw came this summer when he apparently told Poch he need to play more, or his agents would have to find other alternatives.  This was prior to the Aussie tour, and Poch mentioned then that Bentaleb was no longer in his plans, and since then Bentaleb had been sent to train with the U21s.  So, now he is at Schalke on loan with an option to buy.

Poch was very upset with how Spurs capitulated in the final few games of the season - after Alli and Dembele were suspended.  So, part of what we are seeing now is ensuring that the quality of the depth is improved.  Wanyama and Janssen both look capable of being in the starting XI - so no fall off when they start.  Realistically, I think Poch still wants one AM who is a starting quality player - Zaha and/or N'Koudou.  Personally, i think they still need a Dembele back-up at CM, because I am not thrilled with two DMs in Dier and Wanyama partnering in the pivot.  

Poch does prefer to have a "small" squad, so I think he will approach Champions League similarly to how he approached the Group stage for Europa last year.  He might flip his FBs, so that Walker and Rose play in CL, and Trippier and Davies play in the league games (or he might give them all a chance in CL depending on the opposition.)  I expect Alderweield and Vertonghen to play most games, with Wimmer playing for Vertonghen occasionally.  Decent chance Carter-Vickers gets to play in Cup games - at least early on.  If nobody else comes in - the CM spots will mostly be a rotation of Dembele, Dier, and Wanyama - Winks is the youngster who can play the more attacking role - assuming Mason is sold (Mason will only leave, if Mason wants to leave).  I expect Lamela to play most games, league and CL, while Eriksen and Alli will face some competition/rotation from Janssen (dropping Kane to the #10 role), and N'Koudou and/or Calhanoglu/Son.

In the Cup games, expect to see Onomah feature as an AM, and Marcus Edwards, the jewel of the system, to get some game time.  Apparently Edwards was promised some game time this year as an enticement to sign his contract.  He has been at Spurs since he was 8, but has been courted by the big-ger teams now that he is eligible to sign a pro contract.  Exciting player, but needs to add some bulk to a tiny frame.  He will be a future #10.

Last edited by a moderator:
You know that Arsenal will draw Real or Bayern this time, guaranteeing them a second place group finish followed by an elimination by Barça in the first round of knockouts.
I realize hoping to draw Benfica or CSKA Moscow is futile so I'll be happy losing to RM in knockouts just for a change of pace.

CGRdrJoe said:
Hi B Mav, I grew up in Seal and anything that takes 30-45 mins with 0 traffic will take an hour 30 to two 30 in the evening. That said, the hipsters in Manhattan beach will eat that #### up 
I grew up in San Diego (north county) and now live by Knotts Berry Farm, I know the traffic!  :boxing:

Plus I googled it, its only 30 mins apart in the middle of a Wednesday (when did I post this?) afternoon. Still not easy from SD. I wouldnt recommend coming up on a mid week evening even for stubhub.  Unless you get to the game before 3 and kill time. 

Sinn Fein said:
The Question: How long will Liverpool keep faith with Jürgen Klopp?

Under Klopp, Liverpool have taken 1.59 points per game. Under Brendan Rodgers, Liverpool averaged 1.88 points per game.
Paddy Power cut the odds that he will be the first sacked.  I dont get it

Paddy Power cut the odds that he will be the first sacked.  I dont get it
There's no chance of him being sacked, that's ludicrous.  A few mouthy fans on social media aren't going to affect FSG.  If they gave Brendan Rodgers four years, they'll give Jurgen at least two full seasons, unless he completely chokes and we finished like 14th or something.

Group A: PSG, Arsenal

Group B: Benfica, Napoli

Group C: Barcelona, Man City

Group D: Bayern Munich, Atletico Madrid

Group E: CSKA Moscow, Bayer Leverkusen, Tottenham

Group F: Real Madrid, Borussia Dortmund, Sporting CP

Group G: Leicester, Fc Porto

Group H: Juventus, Sevilla, Olympique Lyon

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread