What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (4 Viewers)

Things I learned today by following Southampton FC on Twitter:

1. Saints are in Pot 3 in the EL draw tomorrow.

2. The team of Ryan Bertrand, Jose Fonte and Cedric won the football tennis competition at today's practice.

The Tottenham game makes me nervous.  Not because I'm worried about Tottenham as having too much talent for us, as I think that we have more talent and have more "in form" scorers at the moment.

But what I'm worried about is that in a game like this, anything can happen.  We could win 3-1 and I wouldn't be shocked at all.  We could also lose 3-1 and I wouldn't be shocked at all.  If the game is played 10 times, I think there are 3 wins for both sides and 4 draws.

That being said, if the wrong team shows up tomorrow, it's going to be an excruciatingly long 2 weeks and the "natives will get restless".  The Sevilla game really sapped Liverpool fans of a lot of optimism and the fan-base, which has 20 years of sorrow behind it, hasn't really recovered.  Just when we finally get a massive win in the opening game against Arsenal, we choke away the Burnley game.

A loss to Tott would really increase the negativity among the fans, which is quite annoying.

Now is it all that significant to the team?  Likely not.  The players and coaches read news and check social media, but at a level that's at 10% of what average fans do.  They probably laugh at social media and silly fans that take it way too seriously.

It's just one of those games where a win could seriously provide a major spark headed into the break and the first home game in 2 weeks, where a loss will see a moody fan-base begin to turn on themselves.

All that being said, my prediction is similar to the game at the end of the year last year.  I think it will be a tough and hard fought draw, most likely 1-1.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Tottenham game makes me nervous.  Not because I'm worried about Tottenham as having too much talent for us, as I think that we have more talent and have more "in form" scorers at the moment.

But what I'm worried about is that in a game like this, anything can happen.  We could win 3-1 and I wouldn't be shocked at all.  We could also lose 3-1 and I wouldn't be shocked at all.  If the game is played 10 times, I think there are 3 wins for both sides and 4 draws.

That being said, if the wrong team shows up tomorrow, it's going to be an excruciatingly long 2 weeks and the "natives will get restless".  The Sevilla game really sapped Liverpool fans of a lot of optimism and the fan-base, which has 20 years of sorrow behind it, hasn't really recovered.  Just when we finally get a massive win in the opening game against Arsenal, we choke away the Burnley game.

A loss to Tott would really increase the negativity among the fans, which is quite annoying.

Now is it all that significant to the team?  Likely not.  The players and coaches read news and check social media, but at a level that's at 10% of what average fans do.  They probably laugh at social media and silly fans that take it way too seriously.

It's just one of those games where a win could seriously provide a major spark headed into the break and the first home game in 2 weeks, where a loss will see a moody fan-base begin to turn on themselves.

All that being said, my prediction is similar to the game at the end of the year last year.  I think it will be a tough and hard fought draw, most likely 1-1.

Liverpool haven't lost to Tottenham since before you knew what the EPL was

Training game tomorrow imo

That seems to be a tricky group.  Though watching Inter this summer, and they seem to be a bit off the pace - not sure who they have brought in other than Gabigol.

:lmao:  has to be shtick right?

That seems to be a tricky group.  Though watching Inter this summer, and they seem to be a bit off the pace - not sure who they have brought in other than Gabigol.
New manager in Frank DeBoer, Candreva from Lazio was a big signing. Also reportedly bringing in Joao Mario today together with Gabigol, which would be a pretty big splash.

Gerrard basically saying that he is done after this season.  It looks like he wants to move into coaching.  Also offers advice to young English players to come to MLS instead of rotting on the benches behind the foreign players in the EPL.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/540835/Liverpool-Steven-Gerrard-MLS-advice-young-Premier-League

STEVEN GERRARD was warned about Major League Soccer being a retirement home before he moved to Los Angeles just over a year ago when his glittering Liverpool years came to an end.

But the former captain of England believes it can be a place for careers to be reborn for those struggling to make it in top European leagues.

The LA Galaxy midfielder moved to America last summer when he finally brought an end to his 17-year Liverpool career.

Now at 36 and with his legs finally starting to feel the strain of so many years at the top, he is unsure about his future as his contract with the American club ends after the final game of their current season in December and there have been no talks on a new deal yet.

The Kop icon is waiting on the right opportunity to grab him before he decides to leave the west coast of America with a coaching career certainly in his thoughts.

But although he may not extend his stay Stateside, it does not mean he has not been impressed by MLS.

In fact he believes living the American dream could be a way for young players in England to overcome the nightmare of trying to push world-class talent out of their way in the first teams of cash-rich clubs.

With the eye-watering sums being spent on talent from across the globe as the new TV deal floods the top tier of English football with cash, it is only going to get harder for young players to break through.

And Gerrard has some words of advice about what is on offer across the pond.

“I think before I came there was an opinion that it is a retirement league and the standard isn’t very good,” he said.

“The opinions I heard weren’t great but when I spoke to Thierry Henry, David Beckham and Robbie Keane they spoke volumes about it and said I would be surprised about the standard.

“I’ve been very impressed with the level. Having got to know the people in the MLS and the Galaxy, I have confidence it is going to get bigger and bigger.

“What I see in England is that some players around the age of say 17 to 21 are basically stuck because of the standard of the Premier League.

“The level is so good and you have to move world-class players out of position to get your breakthrough. Players seem to drop down levels in England. Some you never hear about and some bounce back.

“This is a good environment and level for European kids to come and play regularly, test themselves because it is a very fit level.”

The Anfield icon is waiting on the right opportunity to grab him before he decides to leave California.

He knows the clock is ticking down on what has been a glittering career for the former Liverpool and England captain.

But it is not a decision he will take lightly as he plots a move into coaching and management by working on his UEFA coaching badges.

Galaxy boss Bruce Arena has spotted his star man making “mental notes” on management in the dressing room and can sense his ambition to move into that side of the game.

Liverpool legend Steven Gerrard: I thought MLS was a retirement league

STEVEN GERRARD was warned about Major League Soccer being a retirement home before he moved to Los Angeles just over a year ago when his glittering Liverpool years came to an end.

By Chris McKenna / Published 26th August 2016
GETTY

FRESH OPPORTUNITY: Gerrard reckons MLS is a good option for some young players
But the former captain of England believes it can be a place for careers to be reborn for those struggling to make it in top European leagues.

The LA Galaxy midfielder moved to America last summer when he finally brought an end to his 17-year Liverpool career.

Now at 36 and with his legs finally starting to feel the strain of so many years at the top, he is unsure about his future as his contract with the American club ends after the final game of their current season in December and there have been no talks on a new deal yet.

The Kop icon is waiting on the right opportunity to grab him before he decides to leave the west coast of America with a coaching career certainly in his thoughts.

But although he may not extend his stay Stateside, it does not mean he has not been impressed by MLS.

In fact he believes living the American dream could be a way for young players in England to overcome the nightmare of trying to push world-class talent out of their way in the first teams of cash-rich clubs.

Fantasy Football Tips: Gameweek 3

Wednesday, 24th August 2016

STARSPORT bring you top tips on what changes to make to your fantasy football team this week ahead of Gameweek 3. Tips relate to the Premier League's official fantasy football game.
1 / 11

GETTY

Previous Next
IN: Nathan Redmond - Down as a midfielder, he is playing up front for Southampton who have simple home games against Sunderland and Swansea coming up

“I’ve been very impressed with the level”

Steven Gerrard

With the eye-watering sums being spent on talent from across the globe as the new TV deal floods the top tier of English football with cash, it is only going to get harder for young players to break through.

“I think before I came there was an opinion that it is a retirement league and the standard isn’t very good,” he said.

“The opinions I heard weren’t great but when I spoke to Thierry Henry, David Beckham and Robbie Keane they spoke volumes about it and said I would be surprised about the standard.

“I’ve been very impressed with the level. Having got to know the people in the MLS and the Galaxy, I have confidence it is going to get bigger and bigger.

“What I see in England is that some players around the age of say 17 to 21 are basically stuck because of the standard of the Premier League.

Related videos

•  

Tottenham vs Liverpool - Premier League match preview

•  

Hull vs Man Utd - Premier League match preview

•  

Watford vs Arsenal - Premier League match preview

“The level is so good and you have to move world-class players out of position to get your breakthrough. Players seem to drop down levels in England. Some you never hear about and some bounce back.

“This is a good environment and level for European kids to come and play regularly, test themselves because it is a very fit level.”

The Anfield icon is waiting on the right opportunity to grab him before he decides to leave California.

He knows the clock is ticking down on what has been a glittering career for the former Liverpool and England captain.

But it is not a decision he will take lightly as he plots a move into coaching and management by working on his UEFA coaching badges.

Galaxy boss Bruce Arena has spotted his star man making “mental notes” on management in the dressing room and can sense his ambition to move into that side of the game.

“He takes notes, mental notes,” Arena said. “This is an interesting experience for him, it’s good, getting out of Liverpool for a bit, seeing the rest of the world, seeing different ways of doing things, it’s helpful for him.

“He’s clearly focused on that’s going to be his next career. It takes time. You can’t thrown them in too early and have their not have a good experience to start their careers. He’ll need a little time.”

Gerrard added: “I haven’t made a concrete decision. I do know there is not long left.

“I’m waiting for an option to come up that really grabs me. I’ve got a few things in the pipeline but no solid concrete offers as of yet.

“I’ll certainly miss playing because I love it. I enjoy training the same as I did 10 or 15 years ago.

“The body is obviously talking to me a bit but in terms of making that decision I can’t tell you because there is a good chance I could play on next season with Galaxy but there is a good chance that I won’t.

“It all depends on what opportunities come along in the next four to six months. It could go one way or the other.”

Group A: Man Utd, Fenerbahce, Feyenoord, Zorya Luhansk

Group B: Olympiacos, Apoel Nicosia, Young Boys, Astana

Group C: Anderlecht, St Etienne, Mainz, Qabala

Group D: Zenit St Petersburg, AZ Alkmaar, Maccabi Tel-Aviv, Dundalk

Group E: Plzen, Roma, Austria Vienna, FC Astra Giurgiu

Group F: Athletic Bilbao, Genk, Rapid Vienna, Sassuolo

Group G: Ajax, Standard Liege, Celta Vigo, Panathinaikos

Group H: Shakhtar Donetsk, Braga, Gent, Konyaspor

Group I: Schalke 04, FC Red Bull Salzburg, Krasnodar, Nice

Group J: Fiorentina, PAOK Salonika, Liberec, Qarabag

Group K: Inter Milan, Sparta Prague, Southampton, Hapoel Beer Sheva

Group L: Villarreal, Steaua Bucharest, FC Zurich, Osmanlispor

****************************************************************************************

Welcome back RVP!  Is he getting time at Fenerbahce?

Sadly I do not know much about a lot of these teams but I do recognize the names Fenerbache and Feyenoord.  And the EL is a grind of a competition.  Do United try and win it? Or do they concentrate on the league.  Probably means a lot of time for the 2nd team meaning Rashford, Lingard, Memphis, etc.  Not a bad thing though.

Gerrard basically saying that he is done after this season.  It looks like he wants to move into coaching.  Also offers advice to young English players to come to MLS instead of rotting on the benches behind the foreign players in the EPL.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/540835/Liverpool-Steven-Gerrard-MLS-advice-young-Premier-League

Liverpool legend Steven Gerrard: I thought MLS was a retirement league

By Chris McKenna / Published 26th August 2016
GETTY

FRESH OPPORTUNITY: Gerrard reckons MLS is a good option for some young players

Fantasy Football Tips: Gameweek 3

Wednesday, 24th August 2016

STARSPORT bring you top tips on what changes to make to your fantasy football team this week ahead of Gameweek 3. Tips relate to the Premier League's official fantasy football game.
1 / 11

GETTY

Previous Next
IN: Nathan Redmond - Down as a midfielder, he is playing up front for Southampton who have simple home games against Sunderland and Swansea coming up

“I’ve been very impressed with the level”

Steven Gerrard

Related videos

•  

Tottenham vs Liverpool - Premier League match preview

•  

Hull vs Man Utd - Premier League match preview

•  

Watford vs Arsenal - Premier League match preview

“He takes notes, mental notes,” Arena said. “This is an interesting experience for him, it’s good, getting out of Liverpool for a bit, seeing the rest of the world, seeing different ways of doing things, it’s helpful for him.

“He’s clearly focused on that’s going to be his next career. It takes time. You can’t thrown them in too early and have their not have a good experience to start their careers. He’ll need a little time.”

Gerrard added: “I haven’t made a concrete decision. I do know there is not long left.

“I’m waiting for an option to come up that really grabs me. I’ve got a few things in the pipeline but no solid concrete offers as of yet.

“I’ll certainly miss playing because I love it. I enjoy training the same as I did 10 or 15 years ago.

“The body is obviously talking to me a bit but in terms of making that decision I can’t tell you because there is a good chance I could play on next season with Galaxy but there is a good chance that I won’t.

“It all depends on what opportunities come along in the next four to six months. It could go one way or the other.”
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/08/steven-gerrard-in-n-out-burger-la-galaxy

More important though is his first visit to In N Out Burger!

Sadly I do not know much about a lot of these teams but I do recognize the names Fenerbache and Feyenoord.  And the EL is a grind of a competition.  Do United try and win it? Or do they concentrate on the league.  Probably means a lot of time for the 2nd team meaning Rashford, Lingard, Memphis, etc.  Not a bad thing though.
Not sure what Jose is thinking but I'd be surprised if he went either extreme - I'd expect a mix of regulars and some youngsters.

Good CL draw for all 4 EPL teams - folks are down on Arsenal right now but I expect them to advance out of that group.

Not sure what Jose is thinking but I'd be surprised if he went either extreme - I'd expect a mix of regulars and some youngsters.

Good CL draw for all 4 EPL teams - folks are down on Arsenal right now but I expect them to advance out of that group.
Jose recently said he was looking forward to sept when there were more games so he could get more players on the pitch.  With EL, EPL, Cap One Cup I would guess we will get more rotation. But you are probably right, a mix.

Imagine a Thursday night in EL and you are holding United at your place and off the bench comes Zlatan to put you away....

Jose recently said he was looking forward to sept when there were more games so he could get more players on the pitch.  With EL, EPL, Cap One Cup I would guess we will get more rotation. But you are probably right, a mix.

Imagine a Thursday night in EL and you are holding United at your place and off the bench comes Zlatan to put you away....
I will be somewhat surprised if Zlatan travels to any away Europa games.

New manager in Frank DeBoer, Candreva from Lazio was a big signing. Also reportedly bringing in Joao Mario today together with Gabigol, which would be a pretty big splash.
Can't believe the amount they signed Joao Mario for.  Inter's new owners have definitely shown their intent.  It must be nice...$$$

Once again... :kicksrock:

:kicksrock: = Roma, on so many levels...

Yeah I don't get it 

If the game can go either way and you won't be shocked at all then why be nervous? Just crack a beer, followed by 11 more /kafka, and enjoy the game.  Coutinho being out won't help...

#### the quote function :rant:

Europa League Group seedings based on Scrabble word scores of club names

96 D ZenitStPetersburgAZAlkmaarMaccabiTelAvivDundalk
91 A ManchesterUnitedFenerbahceFeyenoordZoryaLuhansk
77 L VillarrealSteauaBucharestFCZurichOsmanlispor
75 K InterMilanSpartaPragueSouthamptonHapoelBeerSheva
73 I SchalkeFCRedBullSalzburgKrasnodarNice
71 G AjaxStandardLiegeCeltaVigoPanathinaikos
65 J FiorentinaPAOKSalonikaLiberecQarabag
61 H ShakhtarDonetskBragaGentKonyaspor
59 E PlzenRomaAustriaViennaFCAstraGiurgiu
59 B OlympiacosApoelNicosiaYoungBoysAstana
58 C AnderlechtStEtienneMainzQabala
57 F AthleticBilbaoGenkRapidViennaSassuolo

If the game can go either way and you won't be shocked at all then why be nervous? Just crack a beer, followed by 11 more /kafka, and enjoy the game.  Coutinho being out won't help...

#### the quote function :rant:
Good advice...except for the beer at 630 AM part.

Hart might be an upgrade for them, but he can also be horribly inconsistent like Mignolet.
And hes cup tied for the season.... oh wait 

ETA Grumpy Pundits in the radio made the joke first, give them credit.  But as much as I think Hart is overrated he is an upgrade over Mignolet.

I don't think Hart is going to Liverpool, though as @The Gator mentioned the comedy factor in our fantasy league would be worth it....

I had been holding out hope Hart was going to Everton, who I think is this year's "surprise" team - albeit not in contention for the title, like Leicester were last season.  But, now I think its 50% he stays at Man City until January, and 50% that he swallows his pride and plays for a team like Sunderland - heavily subsidized by Man City.

I don't think Hart is going to Liverpool, though as @The Gator mentioned the comedy factor in our fantasy league would be worth it....

I had been holding out hope Hart was going to Everton, who I think is this year's "surprise" team - albeit not in contention for the title, like Leicester were last season.  But, now I think its 50% he stays at Man City until January, and 50% that he swallows his pride and plays for a team like Sunderland - heavily subsidized by Man City.
Cant City just reassign him to one of their other teams?  Joe Hart in NY with Lampard!

Cant City just reassign him to one of their other teams?  Joe Hart in NY with Lampard!
MLS is out of their transfer window - so I don't think they can park him in NY.  But, I don't know that.

As far as I can tell, Hart is not ready to retire from international football, though after this summer, perhaps he should consider it - so I think he wants to find a full time gig in England.  There just are not many teams looking for a Keeper with his price tag, and wages.

Alexis Pratsides‏@alexispratsides

BREAKING: Winter Break set to be confirmed in England as the FA finally bows to pressure from collection of Premier League's top managers.

Well, this could be interesting.  I kind of liked the busy season around christmas, but I suppose it was inevitable.  

How long until MLS moves to the same basic schedule?

Users who are viewing this thread