What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (14 Viewers)

NewlyRetired said:
well that rumor did not last long :)

======

Jonathan Tannenwald‏ @thegoalkeeper

Union sporting director Ernst Tanner called me from Germany to tell me “There is not a piece of truth” in reports linking Mario Balotelli to Philadelphia
Tanner isn't gonna show his hand. 

@RichJolly: Alexis Sanchez will end 2018 with fewer Premier League goals than Chris Smalling & Patrick van Aanholt, the same number as Oumar Niasse & Lewis Dunk and only one more than Shane Long.

First leg went fine? 

I don't mind Boca refusing to play their home end away. They should show up at home and if River doesn't, River forfeits. #sorted
they tied at the bombonera in the first leg. no major incidents IIRC.

on the bus ride to the second leg is when river fans attacked the bus (broken glass cut several players and then the tear-gas from police got inside the bus and ####ed them up).

are you saying boca should get to play a second home leg?

First leg went fine? 
I wouldn't say it exactly went "fine" as it was extremely inconvenient for me personally when the game was suspended due to torrential downpour in Buenos Aires. I was at a bar watching players warm up, thinking I'm about to see a super classico when in reality Fubo TV was replaying an earlier superclassico to fill the airspace.  The rescheduled game went fine on Sunday and ended 2-2, but as noted it was pretty fkn' far from "fine" as far as my personal schedule that weekend was concerned, although I did end up watching the game at home on my ipad via illegal stream with Arabic commentary. 

I'll concede.  I grossly over-rated De Gea at the start of the season.
Would be interesting to hear from the few that are still watching them... what happened? Is it a confidence issue?

has he just completely lost it, or is this the defense/setup that’s letting him down?

Would be interesting to hear from the few that are still watching them... what happened? Is it a confidence issue?

has he just completely lost it, or is this the defense/setup that’s letting him down?
I've seen a bunch of games- but far from all. 

last year, seemed like it had to be a rocket or perfectly placed to get by him- and even then, he ended up getting more than his share.  this year, he's just not getting everything. I don't think he's letting howlers in, or playing particularly poorly- just not getting everything that comes his way like last year.

I wouldn't say it exactly went "fine" as it was extremely inconvenient for me personally when the game was suspended due to torrential downpour in Buenos Aires. I was at a bar watching players warm up, thinking I'm about to see a super classico when in reality Fubo TV was replaying an earlier superclassico to fill the airspace.  The rescheduled game went fine on Sunday and ended 2-2, but as noted it was pretty fkn' far from "fine" as far as my personal schedule that weekend was concerned, although I did end up watching the game at home on my ipad via illegal stream with Arabic commentary. 
Now we know who Mariah Carey was singing to in “Hero.”

on the bus ride to the second leg is when river fans attacked the bus (broken glass cut several players and then the tear-gas from police got inside the bus and ####ed them up).

Lets make this simple for everyone. DO to fan incidents River forfeits the 2nd leg. End of discussion. Fans who attacked the bus face criminal charges and banned from all Soccer matches and stadiums for life. River pays a fine as well. End of discussion. 

Ah. Ok. That makes more sense. Just going off headlines I inferred it wrong. Play the damn game where it is suppose to played. Just police it accordingly. 

first coach ever to be sacked by two EPL teams in same calendar year.
The Soccernomics authors criticized lower-table Prem clubs for all too often failing to take chances with new, innovative managers instead of safe English guys who more or less "looked the part." Hughes's portrait could have illustrated that page of the book.

I suppose we could blame pro/rel at least in part for this. But how could Saints hit on Poch and Koeman and then whiff so badly on the last three picks (and they might have misjudged Puel).

Athletic Bilbao is in the relegation zone right now.  I don't think they have every been relegated before.  Too much talent and veterans to expect it to happen, but a testament to the weird La Liga table still.

Media in Argentina is reporting that the Atlanta front office bosses (Darren Eales and Carlos Bocanegra) have flown to Argentina to talk directly with Guillermo Barros Schelotto about taking over for Tata.

MLS/PSV was denied their motion to dismiss the court case in Columbus for the Modell lawsuit.

It looks like the Crew sale is progressing but if it did not happen, this court case would have been interesting and potentially precedent setting for other cities.

The court has ordered a Stay in the case until said sale negotiations complete.

roadkill1292 said:
The Soccernomics authors criticized lower-table Prem clubs for all too often failing to take chances with new, innovative managers instead of safe English guys who more or less "looked the part." Hughes's portrait could have illustrated that page of the book.

I suppose we could blame pro/rel at least in part for this. But how could Saints hit on Poch and Koeman and then whiff so badly on the last three picks (and they might have misjudged Puel).
I think this Hasenhüttl guy who is rumored to be in the running to take over at Southamption could be very good. That's not to say I have an opinion of his tactical acumen based on personal observation, but a good friend of mine in Germany has been singing his praises for some time now and I've been keeping an eye on him.  He's young and apparently very innovative.  The one thing that is somewhat odd is that he's been unemployed since last spring.  Apparently, he had a falling out with RedBull management and left Leipzig with nothing in the works, and has not been able to catch on anywhere in the meantime.

I think this Hasenhüttl guy who is rumored to be in the running to take over at Southamption could be very good. That's not to say I have an opinion of his tactical acumen based on personal observation, but a good friend of mine in Germany has been singing his praises for some time now and I've been keeping an eye on him.  He's young and apparently very innovative.  The one thing that is somewhat odd is that he's been unemployed since last spring.  Apparently, he had a falling out with RedBull management and left Leipzig with nothing in the works, and has not been able to catch on anywhere in the meantime.
40-19-24 in his 83 games at Leipzig, which exhausts my knowledge of him. The question also remains if there's enough bite on the current roster to escape relegation. There's still 24 games to go but tell me they haven't looked like something that flopped out of a tall cow's butt.

Damn.  Arthur Blank strikes again.  He seems addicted to doing things "right".  It has to kill so many of the other owners that he can spend like mad and still make more money than they can spending next to nothing.

============

But one of Blank's most important investments is one that draws relatively few headlines, even though it is present nearly every day for players and staff that’s not seen so much on the surface by fans. It’s the Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta training facility in Marietta, Ga. 

The $60 million facility sits on a 33-acre site featuring a 30,000-sq.-foot headquarters and six full-size fields, including three natural grass pitches and three FieldTurf surfaces. Aside from the elegant first team locker room and fields, the facility houses six different academy locker rooms, a full service kitchen and dining room with balcony access, state-of-the-art sports science facilities with two hydrotherapy pools. 

In other words, it’s a soccer player’s dream.

“If I was 15 or 16 and I walked on a field like this, I think I would've just laid down and rolled around in the grass for a bit," said 14-year MLS veteran Jeff Larentowicz. "I wouldn't have been able to believe it.” 

As the player with the third-most MLS appearances in league history, Larentowicz has seen it all when it comes to league player development infrastructure. And he said Monday that, when his career began, a facility like Atlanta's in the domestic soccer landscape would've been unthinkable.

Damn.  Arthur Blank strikes again.  He seems addicted to doing things "right".  It has to kill so many of the other owners that he can spend like mad and still make more money than they can spending next to nothing.

============

But one of Blank's most important investments is one that draws relatively few headlines, even though it is present nearly every day for players and staff that’s not seen so much on the surface by fans. It’s the Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta training facility in Marietta, Ga. 

The $60 million facility sits on a 33-acre site featuring a 30,000-sq.-foot headquarters and six full-size fields, including three natural grass pitches and three FieldTurf surfaces. Aside from the elegant first team locker room and fields, the facility houses six different academy locker rooms, a full service kitchen and dining room with balcony access, state-of-the-art sports science facilities with two hydrotherapy pools. 

“If I was 15 or 16 and I walked on a field like this, I think I would've just laid down and rolled around in the grass for a bit," said 14-year MLS veteran Jeff Larentowicz. "I wouldn't have been able to believe it.” 

As the player with the third-most MLS appearances in league history, Larentowicz has seen it all when it comes to league player development infrastructure. And he said Monday that, when his career began, a facility like Atlanta's in the domestic soccer landscape would've been unthinkable.
funny- was watching one of the derby games on sunday, and the wife commented on the grass- asking if it was astroturf/fieldgrass. couldn't believe it was real. reminded me...the trip I did to germany (same trip playing against cameroon) when I was 18- we played in a bundesliga 2 (or whatever the league was called back then- 2nd divsion) stadium for our last game- the field was so perfect I was tempted to do what gingertowicz said. laid on the grass for a bit on my belly instead- looking straight across the field... perfect crown in the middle and not a blade out of place. it was a thing of such beauty I get a little weepy thinking about it.

It may still happen, but careful about quoting random twits... As of today nothing yet official.
MLS Transfer News‏ @MLStransferbuzz

In what has quite possibly become the most annoying transfer saga of the year, in-the-know reporters based out of Milan are saying Zlatan and AC Milan have hit a snag in negotiations in the last few hours, and he is now leaning toward staying with #LAGalaxy. 

Union/Steel Rumors‏ @PHILLYSPORTS42

Late night @PhilaUnion news: A source tells me the reports of Union acquiring Chilean striker Sergio Santos are in fact accurate. While the terms of the deal are unclear and nothing is officially official, it appears a deal has been set in principal

8:16 PM - 4 Dec 2018

2h2 hours ago

More

Santos is a 24 year old forward who currently plays for Audax Italiano in Chile and has a potential career with the Chilean national team

According to Calcio Mercato, Barcelona has offered Denis Suarez to AC Milan. It isn’t known if these claims are true or not, though it is known that many Premier League clubs are in the race for the former Manchester City man’s signature. It is known that most clubs in the English top tier are financially stronger than many clubs in Europe. Milan might not be able to compete with these clubs if a bidding war is to take place over Suarez.

Sounds like some big news is possible this morning in Columbus on the future of the Crew.  Mayor has called for a press conference with other city big wigs, and business partners at 10:00am.  Rumors range from a status update to specific info on new stadium for Crew.

============

I pass the facility on my way to work every day.  I've not gotten over there to tour the full facility but the parts I see are impressive.

Sounds like some big news is possible this morning in Columbus on the future of the Crew.  Mayor has called for a press conference with other city big wigs, and business partners at 10:00am.  Rumors range from a status update to specific info on new stadium for Crew.
I am a bit confused and still trying to put the pieces together.

While the announcement of a new stadium deal did not happen today, what they did announce was how they intend to re-purpose the Mapfre Stadium area and surroundings once it is no longer needed.  Among-st the items will be a Columbus Crew training facility.

I guess this has to be seen as good news since if they are planning a Crew training facility at the old stadium location, they must feel pretty good about getting a new stadium more downtown.

Today is the day United's season officially ends.  Arsenal will end it, Wenger not there to hand Jose a win, Arsenal playing well, United not.  Game and Season over.

Users who are viewing this thread