What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (4 Viewers)

OptaJoe‏Verified account @OptaJoe

0 - Arsenal still haven't been leading at half-time in a Premier League game this season (W0 D11 L4), but no team have scored as many second half goals as the Gunners (24).

Good day to be a Crew fan.  Large gathering of fans and being streamed live as the new perspective owners detail the new stadium plans.

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2018/12/06/new-stadium-for-columbus-crew-to-be-unveiled.html
They are laying this on thick in this press conference but they may deserve it given the details.  This news has to be one of the biggest roller coasters ever in US soccer history.  To go from being told almost all year that they are dead man walking to this today is really amazing.

New owners are pledging to invest a total of $645m on the enormous project, the center piece of which is a gorgeous new Crew stadium right down town.

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2018/12/06/plan-calls-for-230m-columbus-crew-stadium-in-the.html

=====================

As some one who is a-political, I am really impressed that this was all done bi-partisan.   They want/expect everything to be signed and sealed by end of December.   The way so many politicians are talking from both sides of the aisle, it seems like a lock.

I love love love how they are playing up the fact that no where in America has any city been able to stop a team from moving besides Columbus.

The architect of the new stadium is originally from Argentina and killed his piece of the presentation of the new Crew stadium.  If they pull off this design, the supporter section of the new stadium will be the best in the country.  Nice to see some new ideas focused on standing, tifo's, smoke, etc.

Here are the renderings

https://imgur.com/a/AAGucxi

Last edited by a moderator:
The new AFC Wimbledon boss is former Brentford manager Wally Downes.  He represents a link to the old Crazy Gang days of Wimbledon FC.  Downes has already had to publicly apologize for inappropriate tweets in his timeline so things are already off and running.

The architect of the new stadium is originally from Argentina and killed his piece of the presentation of the new Crew stadium.  If they pull off this design, the supporter section of the new stadium will be the best in the country.  Nice to see some new ideas focused on standing, tifo's, smoke, etc.

Here are the renderings

https://imgur.com/a/AAGucxi
do you know who it is?

I worked for a guy who is uruguayan, but most wrongly think is argentinian, who has done a number of stadiums and is fantastic at making his pitch.

The new AFC Wimbledon boss is former Brentford manager Wally Downes.  He represents a link to the old Crazy Gang days of Wimbledon FC.  Downes has already had to publicly apologize for inappropriate tweets in his timeline so things are already off and running.
inappropriate tweets is the name of my gazza highlight reel

They are laying this on thick in this press conference but they may deserve it given the details.  This news has to be one of the biggest roller coasters ever in US soccer history.  To go from being told almost all year that they are dead man walking to this today is really amazing.

New owners are pledging to invest a total of $645m on the enormous project, the center piece of which is a gorgeous new Crew stadium right down town.

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2018/12/06/plan-calls-for-230m-columbus-crew-stadium-in-the.html

=====================

As some one who is a-political, I am really impressed that this was all done bi-partisan.   They want/expect everything to be signed and sealed by end of December.   The way so many politicians are talking from both sides of the aisle, it seems like a lock.

I love love love how they are playing up the fact that no where in America has any city been able to stop a team from moving besides Columbus.
It’s quite a reward for a decade or so of complete indifference from the fans and corporate partners in Columbus.

do you know who it is?

I worked for a guy who is uruguayan, but most wrongly think is argentinian, who has done a number of stadiums and is fantastic at making his pitch.
no sorry, I can't remember his names.  He works for a multi letter architectural company (HMKV something like that..) that I think is based in KC.

He was born in Argie, moved to Costa Rica and Panama before settling in the US in 1986.  His home club is Newell's Old Boys.  He used lots of Argentine crowd shots in his presentation to show some of the effects they were looking for in the stadium.

no sorry, I can't remember his names.  He works for a multi letter architectural company (HMKV something like that..) that I think is based in KC.

He was born in Argie, moved to Costa Rica and Panama before settling in the US in 1986.  His home club is Newell's Old Boys.  He used lots of Argentine crowd shots in his presentation to show some of the effects they were looking for in the stadium.
Thanks. Definitely not my old boss.

I know that they've gotten good at generating metrics to measure the underlying quality of a team (share of SOG for example), but I'm still surprised how heavily favored Man City is:

• City - 70%
  • Liverpool - 26%
  • Tottenham - 2%
  • Chelsea - 1%
  • Arsenal - 1%

he is right in that Morris does not deserve the deal based on what he has done as a pro.  But he is wrong in that he deserved a similar deal at his advanced age at the time and injury history.
I believe he was upset I saw a tweet that said Jordan Morris was better then him. He turned down a deal with Benfica where at the time they were a powerhouse possible for the reasons he stated in the linked above comments. Morris hasn't done anything to deserve his deal which Eddie is saying and last I checked there wasn't much interest from Europe for Morris either. Correct me if I'm wrong there. 

More

You clowns saying Morris better then me y’all some crazy mother you know what y’all better do your research. You forget I turned down Benfica when I was 19 lol when they were powerhouses. Truth hurts that’s why y’all all so sensitive I’ll say it again what has he done

Some interesting notes from Newcastle vs Wolves match today. Wolves won 2-1 after US International Defender DeAndre Yedlin saw red in the 61st min. Wolves won it in extra time. in 6 previous meetings Wolves had never beaten the Magpies with Newcastle having a 6-0-2 in EPL play. Both clubs have scored in all 7 match ups making the match between both clubs the longest without a clean sheet on either side. The Wolves victory today is their first vs Newcastle in EPL play. Wolves looked good at the start but after taking the lead got complacent and a Free Kick in the box hit the cross bar. Rondon hit a beautiful cross back in for Perez header that beat the keeper. Newcastle looked good until the Red by Yedlin and I think the match may have ended in a draw with the Red. 

Just thought those pieces were very interesting for the history of this 

Pity Martinez scored today in River Plate's Copa Libertadores win and then announced after the game that he will be leaving the club by end of year.

Most are assuming this will be to Atlanta to replace Almiron.

There are strong rumors that Diego Costa will leave Atlético in January in a big money move to China.  He's currently out for at least another month after foot surgery though, so it seems like an inopportune time to make a deal.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Atlético make money off a year only of Costa.  But there's not a ready replacement for him in the squad. More concerning is the continued injury woes to the back line with Lucas out with an MCL strain.  Sounds like Godin and Felipe Luis will be back soon. Saúl has had to fill in at left back. Not a good sign that an international level midfielder has to play left back.

Lots of good homegrown midfield talent for Atlético. Koke, Saúl, Rodri, and Partey are all international level central midfielders.  All came through Atlético's academy. I honestly wonder if Koke is the odd man out of the bunch though, as he hasn't grown as a player as much as I'd like. He seems to be a leader in he locker room though.

Native said:
Tancredi just confirmed hes coming to Atlanta.
I just saw.  I take it we can assume that the Almiron deal must be done even if not announced?

=====================

Tancredi Palmeri‏Verified account @tancredipalmeri

Massive, massive news for USA soccer: River Plate’s man of the match Pity Martinez has announced that he will sign for Atlanta United. To me, this is biggest signing in the history of MLS on a technical level: never before a football protagonist at his peak chose MLS over Europe

I was there and trying to post my video but imgur doesn't allow video files that large.  I'll try to snag some smaller sections and post tonight. 

Was pretty cool - I was worried with the weather and timing that the crowd would be sparse but it seems like they had a decent turnout.  They were throwing out soccer stress balls and when the players bus went past I made eye contact with the backup keeper Kahn to throw one my way.  He fired it at my head.  I managed to get a piece of it but it fell to the ground - thankfully the person next to me was nice and handed it over.  https://imgur.com/cRistK5

Vamos, Vamos, Vamos A-T-L!

I'm an idiot and missed it. What kind of crowd did Boca and River Plate draw in Madrid?
62K.  Not a sell out but both teams looked to have good representation of fans.  Tons of Euro soccer stars were at the game as well.

It was a great game topped off with the best player on the field announcing after the game he is coming to MLS.

If you could hand pick any player in South America to replace Almiron, Pity would be on the ultra short list.  I have no idea how he will work out but on paper, this is arguably the best Atlanta could hope for.    It will be interesting to see if he can integrate faster than Kaku did in NY who was not a big factor in early champions league play.

In the space of the next few weeks, Atlanta should break the MLS record for most expensive signing with Pity and the most expensive sale with Almiron.

Users who are viewing this thread