Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Ramsay Hunt Experience

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread***

6 hours ago, guru_007 said:

The last thing United need is another manager from a small club that don't win trophies.  Didn't work with Moyes, won't work with Pochettino.  

Scorching hot take. 🔥

FIFA winter excitement!

feel like it's usually a team from the americas in the final against europe. exciting for UAE, I guess. 

Al Ain beat South American champions River Plate 5-4 on penalties to reach the Club World Cup final after their last-four clash finished 2-2 after 90 minutes and extra time on Tuesday.

Al Ain goalkeeper Khalid Eisa saved the decisive penalty to earn his team a spot in Saturday's final where they will face Spain's Real Madrid or Japan's Kashima Antlers.

10 hours ago, roadkill1292 said:

Mourinho sacked this morning. Carrick will finish the season out.

But I was really enjoying with many others I might add The Special One ruining ManU 

1 hour ago, El Floppo said:

FIFA winter excitement!

feel like it's usually a team from the americas in the final against europe. exciting for UAE, I guess. 

I dream about Liverpool playing Atlanta next December...

• Like 1

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to lead United for the rest of the season, and then go back, mid-season, to Molde, who he is managing in the Norwegian league.  (Norwegian league starts back up in March - so he'll miss about 6 weeks...) 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, El Floppo said:

not including pogba... and there's no reason not to, but whatever... how do spurs and united compare in terms of outlay of money for players?

eta: I kinda assumed they were more even than they might be.

Is umpty-billion to zero a big difference?

• Like 3

8 hours ago, guru_007 said:

The last thing United need is another manager from a small club that don't win trophies.  Didn't work with Moyes, won't work with Pochettino.  

:goodposting:

9 hours ago, guru_007 said:

For different reasons, I too don't want Poch at United. Seems like a great hire for them.

38 minutes ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

Is umpty-billion to zero a big difference?

:lmao:

Grant Wahl‏Verified account @GrantWahl

FollowingFollowing @GrantWahl

More

José Mourinho needs a job. LA Galaxy needs a coach. José and Ibrahimovic could be the best tag-team villain combo in MLS history. Let's make it happen.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

Did you guys see the goal today that gave Dortmund its first loss of the season?  From a relatively unknown RB no less

https://streamja.com/oJAL

What a strike.

Nice defense, Dortmund

18 hours ago, B Maverick said:

Thank you Liverpool for ending the long nightmare that is Jose.  I've seen mention of Ole Gunnar and Blanc as possible caretaker managers until the end of the season with a full time manager (Poch, Zidane) selected then. Guess they are following the USMNT model for managerial hiring now. 

In any case, here is what I would like to see:

1) Hire a director of futbol.  Let him hire the full time manager.  Not sure one can be appointed in time to hire a caretaker, but at least get him in to set the direction of the club and pick the manager to lead that. He has 6 months to figure that out.

2) Move Woodward back to the money side full time.  He has been masterful in sponsorships and branding.  He needs to continue there and be out of the futbol side.

3) See how the players respond and determine who will fit with the direction as set by the Director and factor that into the managerial hiring

4) Get Martial and De Gea resigned.

5) Sell Fellaini, Smalling, Jones

6) Determine how to get the best out of Lukaku, Pogba, and Sanchez or sell them and replace.  All three can thrive in the right system.  If United isn't the right one, move on.

7) Sell Fellaini

Good list but I’d add one.  

8.  Give Fellaini away

• Love 1

2 hours ago, AAABatteries said:

Good list but I’d add one.  

8.  Give Fellaini away

:goodposting:

• Like 1

Who's going to do all the chest trapping and elbowing in these plans?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1

Why isn't there a Man U thread I can point to and say WRONG THREAD ?  #idontcareaboityour####tyteam

• Like 1

Pardon me if this sounds suspiciously like one of my themes in the Political Forum but........if we lose Fellaini we're gonna miss the jokes something awful. Though, like that other fellow I say this about, there's probably material enough already for a decade. 

12 minutes ago, roadkill1292 said:

Pardon me if this sounds suspiciously like one of my themes in the Political Forum but........if we lose Fellaini we're gonna miss the jokes something awful. Though, like that other fellow I say this about, there's probably material enough already for a decade. 

We'll still have Southampton to make fun of.  Loads of material there.  :thumbup:

It will be interesting to see how the new manager impacts the Fellaini WarsTM here. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sebowski said:

Why isn't there a Man U thread I can point to and say WRONG THREAD ?  #idontcareaboityour####tyteam

Cmon now.  Everyone cares about United.  They either love or violently hate.  There is no in between.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, B Maverick said:

Cmon now.  Everyone cares about United.  They either love or violently hate.  There is no in between.

Obviously talking about Newcastle here

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, The Gator said:

Obviously talking about Newcastle here

:banned:

noone hates Newcastle

Edited by B Maverick

And Ole Gunnar's first game in charge of United will be against Cardiff City, a team he coached briefly in 2014?

You are my Solskjaer,
My Ole Solskjaer,
You make me happy,
When skies are grey,
Oh Alan Shearer,
Was f****** dearer,
So please don't take,
My Solskjaer away...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, B Maverick said:

I think I'm kind of in between on United. Definitely don't love them, not in the least, but have a hard time mustering up anything remotely approaching hatred anymore for that club.

1 hour ago, CletiusMaximus said:

I think I'm kind of in between on United. Definitely don't love them, not in the least, but have a hard time mustering up anything remotely approaching hatred anymore for that club.

Probably a general feeling since they haven't competed for anything in awhile.  The anti-crowd is enjoying the fall, neutrals are just ambivalent and happy to know they can go to Old Trafford with a shot at some points.  Not a guaranteed loss anymore.

I'm still in the same boat, re: united. like seeing them (or anybody) play well when it happens. also really like seeing the big dogs get bit by the littler ones. united offers both- hopefully more of the former without jose. given the players on that roster, they certainly should.

6 hours ago, Sebowski said:

Its Man United, not Man ####ty

• Like 1

Some of the official FIFA films of the 2018 World Cup went up today on Amazon Prime Video.  There's 96 min of "All the Goals of the 2018 FIFA World Cup" and half hour mini documentaries on each of the four semi-finalists.

Amazon has the official FIFA films for all the tournaments going back to 1954.  Some of them are more travelogues than soccer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Crew went a whopping 3 for 3 this week in the SaveTheCrew movement.

The House, Senate and the Governor all signed off on the bill that will keep the team in Columbus!

Only item left is to officially announce the new owners.

======================================

There was a great story today about how this all came about.

* A lawyer at the Ohio Department of Agriculture stumbled upon an obscure part of Ohio law while searching for something unrelated.  It turned out to be what we now call the Modell rule.   He looked at it and said "jesus this sounds like the Crew situation"

* He had a friend who was involved in the early SaveTheCrew movement and forwarded him what he found.

* The guy on SaveTheCrew then forwarded the law to his uncle, who happened to be Mike Duffy who was in the Ohio House of Representatives

* Duffy then started what turned out to be the suit against MLS, which slowed the entire process of moving down and eventually led to the team being saved.

We may never see this again in American sports where a team is saved from moving.

There have been way too many MLS trades to comment on them but I do want to mention to you KC fans, I think you got a nice one in grabbing Kelyn Rowe from my Revs.   He is the type of player that plays better when he has better players around him.  He looked very solid in his few caps for the US.

For what ever reason, Friedel hated him and as such I think he could flourish under Vermes if given a chance.

Don't look now, but Leeds is leading the Championship, well clear of 3rd place at the halfway mark.  Assuming they don't turn the club over to a payday lender there's a very good chance they'll be in the EPL next year.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

Don't look now, but Leeds is leading the Championship, well clear of 3rd place at the halfway mark.  Assuming they don't turn the club over to a payday lender there's a very good chance they'll be in the EPL next year.

WGUAFC!

If Leeds gets promoted, Jaysus and I are gonna be insufferable next year. Even if they're no good. Hell, maybe especially if they're no good.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, roadkill1292 said:

If Leeds gets promoted, Jaysus and I are gonna be insufferable next year. Even if they're no good. Hell, maybe especially if they're no good.

going to be?

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, roadkill1292 said:

if they get promoted, I'm ALL IN.

eta: s####horpe sitting 3 pts out of relegation in league one. :kicksrock:

Edited by El Floppo

6 hours ago, El Floppo said:

yep. that was terrible.

don't underrate that last touch.  I am not sure Ronaldinho could have pulled off the contortion needed to get that in the net.

Transfer rumor out of the UK saying Chelsea want to swap Moratta with Milan for Il Pippa. 

Got a recommendation from a mate in the UK.

Netflix: "Sunderland til I die". Supposed to be excellent. I just checked, and it's available here as well.

• Like 1

On 12/18/2018 at 9:19 AM, Sinn Fein said:

15 pages and counting at SpursCommunity on the Pochettino thread since this morning...and that does not include many of the same posts in the United thread...

70 pages and still going strong of mostly the same thing posted over and over (and over)...

1 minute ago, Sinn Fein said:

70 pages and still going strong of mostly the same thing posted over and over (and over)...

Does it really make sense? I mean, I get that it's a struggle currently with a very limited to non-existent budget, but I always figured that he wants the Real job.