What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (13 Viewers)

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to lead United for the rest of the season, and then go back, mid-season, to Molde, who he is managing in the Norwegian league.  (Norwegian league starts back up in March - so he'll miss about 6 weeks...) 

Thank you Liverpool for ending the long nightmare that is Jose.  I've seen mention of Ole Gunnar and Blanc as possible caretaker managers until the end of the season with a full time manager (Poch, Zidane) selected then. Guess they are following the USMNT model for managerial hiring now. 

In any case, here is what I would like to see:

1) Hire a director of futbol.  Let him hire the full time manager.  Not sure one can be appointed in time to hire a caretaker, but at least get him in to set the direction of the club and pick the manager to lead that. He has 6 months to figure that out.

2) Move Woodward back to the money side full time.  He has been masterful in sponsorships and branding.  He needs to continue there and be out of the futbol side.

3) See how the players respond and determine who will fit with the direction as set by the Director and factor that into the managerial hiring

4) Get Martial and De Gea resigned.

5) Sell Fellaini, Smalling, Jones

6) Determine how to get the best out of Lukaku, Pogba, and Sanchez or sell them and replace.  All three can thrive in the right system.  If United isn't the right one, move on.

7) Sell Fellaini
Good list but I’d add one.  

8.  Give Fellaini away

Pardon me if this sounds suspiciously like one of my themes in the Political Forum but........if we lose Fellaini we're gonna miss the jokes something awful. Though, like that other fellow I say this about, there's probably material enough already for a decade. 

Pardon me if this sounds suspiciously like one of my themes in the Political Forum but........if we lose Fellaini we're gonna miss the jokes something awful. Though, like that other fellow I say this about, there's probably material enough already for a decade. 
We'll still have Southampton to make fun of.  Loads of material there.   :thumbup:

It will be interesting to see how the new manager impacts the Fellaini WarsTM here. 

And Ole Gunnar's first game in charge of United will be against Cardiff City, a team he coached briefly in 2014?

You are my Solskjaer,
My Ole Solskjaer,
You make me happy,
When skies are grey,
Oh Alan Shearer,
Was f****** dearer,
So please don't take,
My Solskjaer away...

B Maverick said:
Cmon now.  Everyone cares about United.  They either love or violently hate.  There is no in between.
I think I'm kind of in between on United. Definitely don't love them, not in the least, but have a hard time mustering up anything remotely approaching hatred anymore for that club.

I think I'm kind of in between on United. Definitely don't love them, not in the least, but have a hard time mustering up anything remotely approaching hatred anymore for that club.
Probably a general feeling since they haven't competed for anything in awhile.  The anti-crowd is enjoying the fall, neutrals are just ambivalent and happy to know they can go to Old Trafford with a shot at some points.  Not a guaranteed loss anymore.

I'm still in the same boat, re: united. like seeing them (or anybody) play well when it happens. also really like seeing the big dogs get bit by the littler ones. united offers both- hopefully more of the former without jose. given the players on that roster, they certainly should.

Some of the official FIFA films of the 2018 World Cup went up today on Amazon Prime Video.  There's 96 min of "All the Goals of the 2018 FIFA World Cup" and half hour mini documentaries on each of the four semi-finalists.

Amazon has the official FIFA films for all the tournaments going back to 1954.  Some of them are more travelogues than soccer.

The Crew went a whopping 3 for 3 this week in the SaveTheCrew movement.

The House, Senate and the Governor all signed off on the bill that will keep the team in Columbus!

Only item left is to officially announce the new owners.

======================================

There was a great story today about how this all came about.

* A lawyer at the Ohio Department of Agriculture stumbled upon an obscure part of Ohio law while searching for something unrelated.  It turned out to be what we now call the Modell rule.   He looked at it and said "jesus this sounds like the Crew situation"

* He had a friend who was involved in the early SaveTheCrew movement and forwarded him what he found.

* The guy on SaveTheCrew then forwarded the law to his uncle, who happened to be Mike Duffy who was in the Ohio House of Representatives

* Duffy then started what turned out to be the suit against MLS, which slowed the entire process of moving down and eventually led to the team being saved.

We may never see this again in American sports where a team is saved from moving.

There have been way too many MLS trades to comment on them but I do want to mention to you KC fans, I think you got a nice one in grabbing Kelyn Rowe from my Revs.   He is the type of player that plays better when he has better players around him.  He looked very solid in his few caps for the US.

For what ever reason, Friedel hated him and as such I think he could flourish under Vermes if given a chance.

If Leeds gets promoted, Jaysus and I are gonna be insufferable next year. Even if they're no good. Hell, maybe especially if they're no good.
if they get promoted, I'm ALL IN.

eta: s####horpe sitting 3 pts out of relegation in league one. :kicksrock:

Last edited by a moderator:
Got a recommendation from a mate in the UK.

Netflix: "Sunderland til I die". Supposed to be excellent. I just checked, and it's available here as well.

70 pages and still going strong of mostly the same thing posted over and over (and over)...
Does it really make sense? I mean, I get that it's a struggle currently with a very limited to non-existent budget, but I always figured that he wants the Real job.

Does it really make sense? I mean, I get that it's a struggle currently with a very limited to non-existent budget, but I always figured that he wants the Real job.
No - and I don't think he even wants the Real job.

My take on Poch is this - he wants what any manager wants:  to win, and be paid well.  But, Poch also places a huge emphasis on relationships - particularly with players, but also with the chairman/board.  

So the question really comes down to whether he can meet those goals at Manchester United more than he can at Spurs.  He is already among the highest paid managers in EPL ~£8.5M/year.  I think United could/would pay him more - but it is no longer a life-changing raise.  And, when you look at the relative squads - Spurs are currently a better squad - better players overall, more cohesive, and already attuned to Poch's tactics/style.  Then you look at the relationship side of things - and Poch has a deep commitment to the current Spurs players - I don't think he easily walks away from that.

Now, United are not without some positives - specifically they have a transfer budget.  And that has appeal - but it really only balances out the fact that United really need to bring in fresh faces, no matter who the new manager is.

I see Poch as a top manager.  But, I think he is different than other top managers because of the emphasis he places on relationships and loyalty - and not simply tactics.  That will make it difficult for him to take on jobs like United or Real where the life span of a manager is short, and the emphasis is on instilling tactics, and moving on.  I don't think Poch is the kind of guy who wants to change jobs every few years.

Having said all that - I think Spurs need to back Poch in the transfer market - not necessarily in January, but certainly in the summer. 

No - and I don't think he even wants the Real job.

My take on Poch is this - he wants what any manager wants:  to win, and be paid well.  But, Poch also places a huge emphasis on relationships - particularly with players, but also with the chairman/board.  

So the question really comes down to whether he can meet those goals at Manchester United more than he can at Spurs.  He is already among the highest paid managers in EPL ~£8.5M/year.  I think United could/would pay him more - but it is no longer a life-changing raise.  And, when you look at the relative squads - Spurs are currently a better squad - better players overall, more cohesive, and already attuned to Poch's tactics/style.  Then you look at the relationship side of things - and Poch has a deep commitment to the current Spurs players - I don't think he easily walks away from that.

Now, United are not without some positives - specifically they have a transfer budget.  And that has appeal - but it really only balances out the fact that United really need to bring in fresh faces, no matter who the new manager is.

I see Poch as a top manager.  But, I think he is different than other top managers because of the emphasis he places on relationships and loyalty - and not simply tactics.  That will make it difficult for him to take on jobs like United or Real where the life span of a manager is short, and the emphasis is on instilling tactics, and moving on.  I don't think Poch is the kind of guy who wants to change jobs every few years.

Having said all that - I think Spurs need to back Poch in the transfer market - not necessarily in January, but certainly in the summer. 
Agree regarding the bolded, and good insight into his mindset. I think he's one of the more interesting managers around, and curious about what motivates him. I don't see him at United either, but who knows, they can afford silly money.

Users who are viewing this thread