What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (2 Viewers)

WTMF MEX?
Hey you...was watching a series on Audience TV called "The Pitch"...nothing extremely notable, other than having a significant portion devoted to LEEDS! followers and such.   Check it out?  The piano guy reminded me of what might be you...🤔

Hey you...was watching a series on Audience TV called "The Pitch"...nothing extremely notable, other than having a significant portion devoted to LEEDS! followers and such.   Check it out?  The piano guy reminded me of what might be you...🤔
Speaking of Leeds (Leeds Leeds)... when they play Chelsea in the PL next year, Mex has my permission to cheer against Chelsea.

WGUAFC!

This is amazing business

=======

Dortmund Transfers.  First is what they paid, second is what they sold for

Kagawa: free/16M€

Gotze: home grown/37M€

Hummels: 4.2M€/35M€

Gundogan: 5.5M€/27M€

Mkhitaryan: 27.5M€/42M€

Aubameyang: 15M€/63.75M€

Dembélé: 15M€/145M€

Pulisic: home grown/64M€

Last edited by a moderator:
This is amazing business

=======

And they're six points clear in the Bundesliga too.

This is amazing business

=======

And they're six points clear in the Bundesliga too.
pencil in Sancho for a gajllion and five dollar-euros.

how much did they pay to get sweatpantsbonerman back in the fold?

PSA:  538's #2 team in the world is hosting 538's #1 team in the world on NBCSN in 5 minutes.

(ETA:  fully expecting a City win here.)

Whatever happens with Pulisic at Chelsea, America’s insistence upon ignoring FIFA rules is robbing PA Classics, the club that developed Pulisic, of about $730K in solidarity payments off the transfer fee. Tragic.

7:42 AM - Jan 2, 2019

The Latest US International transfer in Europe shows how US Youth systems are being screwed

The Youth System that Pulisic was in is local to me as well. Not even an hour ride. Union Almost signed Pulisic to their system back early in their existence if rumors are to be believed given the Union have been trying to do a great job of scouting and getting local talent on the club. 

That may all be fine- arguments can be made for each league. Scum? Throwing up? Your words.

Outside of BM, RM or Barca, after Dortmund, not sure where the next step would be for him unless he wants to go any other direction but up. Psg would be a fun group to he around I guess, but not the league. After those teams it's the top EPL teams...of which Chelsea is a part. I mean, yeah- Barca or RM would've been awesome...and if it works out in England, they aren't going anywhere for a 20yo whose contract will be up when he is in his prime mid 20s. Not sure what or where else you were expecting.
Like Zlatan said if he did what he did at his age right now just imagine what he'd have done in the league at a younger age in the EPL. The I already had this discussion already with I believe Newleyretired on that. In terms of overall quality the league is incredible overrated.

Not sure why you are held up on Scum and Throwing up though. I'm a Newcastle supporter so yes I'm gonna hate of the Blues, ManU's etc of the world. 

Ramsey apparently signing with Merda, details pending...woah, didn't see tis coming.  Arsenal fans, why would they let him go?  Age... contract?  ( I did not do due diligence, just reacting to Italian news I saw...imagine that)
Ramsey was rumored for Milan but I think that had to do with more so of Gazidis connection. 

Also Juve have ruled out Il Pipa to Chelsea in the Morato swap thank god. 

Those wacky Welsh...
And yeah his contract is up and he isn't resigning which is why Milan was also in rumors for him. Cheap signing and need MF help

Speaking of which Lucas Paqueta to Milan is being made official. Milan sent the papers of transfer into the Serie A for registry

Like Zlatan said if he did what he did at his age right now just imagine what he'd have done in the league at a younger age in the EPL. The I already had this discussion already with I believe Newleyretired on that. In terms of overall quality the league is incredible overrated.

Not sure why you are held up on Scum and Throwing up though. I'm a Newcastle supporter so yes I'm gonna hate of the Blues, ManU's etc of the world. 
because amidst all the reactions to the move by various fans of teams around the league- yours was the most extreme. I genuinely didn't understand where that was coming from.... still don't, but that's fine. 

I'm sure you'll be looking forward to that famous toon blues derby.

because amidst all the reactions to the move by various fans of teams around the league- yours was the most extreme. I genuinely didn't understand where that was coming from.... still don't, but that's fine. 

But of course, it's because you're a well-known scum-thrower yourself...

I've been around a long time, and every league has had up and downs. It's going to fluctuate over time which league is "dominant" when it comes to attracting the top talent, and win international honors. That's why we have the Champions League I guess. I think each domestic league has its qualities. Ideally I'd like them all to run well at the same time, but I prefer watching the type of game I like. :shrug:  
I'll admit my biased towards the EPL might not be helping. I'm Italian so I draw to Serie A plus when I played my one coach was Italian and AC Milan fan. He also had us playing a style similar to Milan's. In order to see the pitch we had to learn defense before offense. Didn't matter if you were the next Beckham, Henrey, Ronaldinho, Totti, Etc if you couldn't play Defense at least avg you didn't see the pitch.I also became a Milan supporter more with the 06 World Cup given the extensive player list Milan had on the Italian side.  I'm not a supporter who will try and sell the Italian league as it was in the 90s or so or Milan as the powerhouse. I don't mind the EPL and I became a Newcastle fan after seeing the GOAL Movies with Kunno Becker going to Newcastle. I also didn't want to be one of those bandwagon type fans who just followed a team because they were good. I have a lot of people in my area of Philadelphia and my County who are soccer/futboll fans. South Philly has had a huge Italian population for yrs, we are big on Germans and Dutch and Swedes as well. We've had an influx in our SPainish community it seems like too. South Street in South Philly during the World Cup finals becomes a party with multiple bars including the German brauhause. However it seems a lot of people here are attracted to EPL simple because of the TV coverage for yrs we've gotten of the league. Even before the NBC deal one of the few if any coverage of Club soccer that wasn't the young MLS came from England especially with Man United and Beckham. So we've had a huge influx for yrs of people seeing EPL league. Serie A got a TV deal with Fox Soccer which was not in every household like NBC is for EPL. So theres some people who started getting Serie A and watching that instead. Fox Soccer became a paid for network and when Fox Sports got to more of an ESPN style and has FS1 and 2 Serie A lost their channel and went to BEINSPORTS America again not everyone got but they got La Liga and the French League. I saw a big influx of people starting to support La Liga and France as well but again it was hard if you weren't a loyal supporter to watch if you didn't have the channel. I have Fios but didn't have the HD which FIOS only carried the channel in HD. I'd Free Steam games from some sight online when I had too and then I found Milan Club Philly who hosted games at a local Breakfast/lunch/Dinner Cafe I have occasional gone to see. With ESPN's deal now with The Italian league more people can get the league. 

Compare this to the England have a stragglehold on NBC a major network where we have matches on NBC, NBCSports, MSNBC, CNBC, etc plus the streaming network you can see why people go to EPL here. Luckily The German League has a presence on FS1/2 now but again not everyone has it. So my bias towards the EPL can be also with the fact I have some incredible annoying people in my area who act as if the EPL is the end all be all league as well. Luckily my friends who I do watch matches with aren't EPL Jock Swingers. I have friends who support Roma, Juve, both Madrid, Bayern, Barca, PSG, Dortmund, etc and even the Union. I do have that one friend who is the Man United fan like I talked about a few weeks ago so we're having tons of fun going after him right now. 

This is amazing business

=======

Was about to type doesn't he still play for them and then remembered the transfer to Bayern and then he was brought back. And don't remind me of Aubameyang. Still should be an AC Milan player but knowing Silvio he probably would've sold him with Silva and Ibra and Cassano in 2012. All those loans because of Huntalear, Marco Borriello, and Robinho  :wall:

Which league are we talking about? I didn't know this thread was exclusively EPL now.... 

Which league are we talking about? I didn't know this thread was exclusively EPL now.... 
which league is CP going to. 

this is a bizarre non-conversation...  I couldn't figure out why you reacted the way you did, and questioned it because I can't see any big negative of him going to Chelsea other than being a fan of another team and wishing he'd go there instead. so far I've gotten lots of "EPL is over-rated" and finally "I'm toon army" .. which doesn't explain why chelsea is scum (I'm not aware of a big newcastle chelsea rivalry... let me know if I've missed it) or why you'd throw up at the move. :shrug:   again.. I don't have to get it, but I didn't understand your reaction at all. and after all this, still don't- regardless of whether you think the EPL is over-rated or like newcastle instead of one of the bigger budgeted teams.

I like CP and the US and want the best for him and the USMNT. I questioned upthread when Shader wasn't pleased about the move, where else he could go- it's really only a handful of places like Barca, RM, BM, ugh.. juve..., PSG or the top EPL teams where he's going to be playing with the best and getting paid the best (not at juve). just about any other move would be sideways or downhill compared to dortmund, IMO. 

eta: and I should add- I'm not trying to catch you at anything... just trying to wrap my head around the move to chelsea for CP- take in all the discussion to help assess and form my own opinion. your comments didn't make any sense to me or help me form my opinion... so I continue to question.

which league is CP going to. 

this is a bizarre non-conversation...  I couldn't figure out why you reacted the way you did, and questioned it because I can't see any big negative of him going to Chelsea other than being a fan of another team and wishing he'd go there instead. so far I've gotten lots of "EPL is over-rated" and finally "I'm toon army" .. which doesn't explain why chelsea is scum (I'm not aware of a big newcastle chelsea rivalry... let me know if I've missed it) or why you'd throw up at the move. :shrug:   again.. I don't have to get it, but I didn't understand your reaction at all. and after all this, still don't- regardless of whether you think the EPL is over-rated or like newcastle instead of one of the bigger budgeted teams.

I like CP and the US and want the best for him and the USMNT. I questioned upthread when Shader wasn't pleased about the move, where else he could go- it's really only a handful of places like Barca, RM, BM, ugh.. juve..., PSG or the top EPL teams where he's going to be playing with the best and getting paid the best (not at juve). just about any other move would be sideways or downhill compared to dortmund, IMO. 

eta: and I should add- I'm not trying to catch you at anything... just trying to wrap my head around the move to chelsea for CP- take in all the discussion to help assess and form my own opinion. your comments didn't make any sense to me or help me form my opinion... so I continue to question.
You really are turning this into something it isn't. Only poster here with a problem with what I said I don't know why. I like Pulsic and met him when he was still in the US at a young age. He's local. I don't want to root for him at some EPL club. Not a fan of any of the top EPL clubs and Only had marginal Man United interested because of Beckham and that was it. I was incredible happy when Leicester won the League. As much as I dislike Madrid/Barca I'd rather see him there instead of the EPL where the opinion is if you can't succeed there you are a complete bust. Rather see Pulusic at a club that has the best of the best. Really wanted to see him at Bayern, ALthetico or PSG. I don't want to root for Cristian on a club I dislike. 

You really are turning this into something it isn't. Only poster here with a problem with what I said I don't know why. I like Pulsic and met him when he was still in the US at a young age. He's local. I don't want to root for him at some EPL club. Not a fan of any of the top EPL clubs and Only had marginal Man United interested because of Beckham and that was it. I was incredible happy when Leicester won the League. As much as I dislike Madrid/Barca I'd rather see him there instead of the EPL where the opinion is if you can't succeed there you are a complete bust. Rather see Pulusic at a club that has the best of the best. Really wanted to see him at Bayern, ALthetico or PSG. I don't want to root for Cristian on a club I dislike. 
:shrug:  okeedoke. :hifive:

I'm a USMNT fan- so I'm just happy I don't have to watch fulham or sunderland (that scum! vomit!) to get my fix. I don't really have an active interest in any of the EPL teams, outside of enjoying the sport and liking teams that try to play well or at least play with heart against teams where opposing individual players cost more than their entire lineup. 

I lived in milan for a few months and got to be friends with one fo the guys at my local cafe- he was a big inter fan, so I went to a bunch of games with him and developed an interest, which persists. but even there- I'm more of a fan of the sport than of that team, so even though I enjoy giving you guff as a milan fan... it's not a genuine passion for me and I still enjoy watching Milan play (on the extremely rare occasions when they play well) only the USMNT is. 

rooting for CP, I kept on you here because I was trying to understand any possible reason for this move to be anything but positive. shader's brought up the usual talking points, but I couldn't get to the bottom of what your point was (and that's my own bugaboo). and if hazard somehow stays- come on! how much fun is that going to be seeing CP and Hazard playing together... let alone the rest of that solid team (kante is one of my favorite players in the world)

I'm a USMNT fan- so I'm just happy I don't have to watch fulham or sunderland (that scum! vomit!) to get my fix. I don't really have an active interest in any of the EPL teams, outside of enjoying the sport and liking teams that try to play well or at least play with heart against teams where opposing individual players cost more than their entire lineup. 

I lived in milan for a few months and got to be friends with one fo the guys at my local cafe- he was a big inter fan, so I went to a bunch of games with him and developed an interest, which persists. but even there- I'm more of a fan of the sport than of that team, so even though I enjoy giving you guff as a milan fan... it's not a genuine passion for me and I still enjoy watching Milan play (on the extremely rare occasions when they play well) only the USMNT is. 

rooting for CP, I kept on you here because I was trying to understand any possible reason for this move to be anything but positive. shader's brought up the usual talking points, but I couldn't get to the bottom of what your point was (and that's my own bugaboo). and if hazard somehow stays- come on! how much fun is that going to be seeing CP and Hazard playing together... let alone the rest of that solid team (kante is one of my favorite players in the world)
Okeedokee.

I have no really loyalty to the EPL other then Newcastle and thats more or less I like having at least one club to be interested in per league. I just don't like any of the top EPL clubs and some of that like I said has some to do with the EPL supporters in my area. I want Pulusic to succeed and hope USMNT does well but I also don't want to him to struggle and the typical EPL pundits come out and say well he's overrated or a failure. Guys have left the EPL after flopping there and become some great players. Liverpool thought Suso was a flop and he's now fighting for consistent minutes on the Spanish National team just one example of many. 

I have no really loyalty to the EPL other then Newcastle and thats more or less I like having at least one club to be interested in per league. I just don't like any of the top EPL clubs and some of that like I said has some to do with the EPL supporters in my area. I want Pulusic to succeed and hope USMNT does well but I also don't want to him to struggle and the typical EPL pundits come out and say well he's overrated or a failure. Guys have left the EPL after flopping there and become some great players. Liverpool thought Suso was a flop and he's now fighting for consistent minutes on the Spanish National team just one example of many. 
I hear ya.

I think he's good enough to succeed in England, so I'm not worried about what happens if he doesn't. If the latter, he's young and can find his way elsewhere. Look at Salah.

This after an hr ago DiMarzio said they were in talks

According to Sky Sport Italia Milan have agreed terms to pick up teenage Monaco Leroy Abanda Mfomo (18-year-old) as a free agent

This probably speaks to the top heavy nature of the EPL but it is still a cool stat.

Only once in EPL history has a team won 15 of the first 20 games and not won the title.

This year we are already guaranteed to have 2 teams accomplish this (two from the group of Tottenham, Liverpool, Man City)

Well, that game sucked.

But I was on the local CBS station today talking about the growth of our supporters group and excitement about 2021, so that was cool.

This probably speaks to the top heavy nature of the EPL but it is still a cool stat.

Only once in EPL history has a team won 15 of the first 20 games and not won the title.

This year we are already guaranteed to have 2 teams accomplish this (two from the group of Tottenham, Liverpool, Man City)
I think maybe "not accomplish" is the better way to say that. 

Eta tomato patatoe

I wasn't aware of any other leagues having playoffs besides MLS or mex. 

anybody know more about this?
oh and one more.  Denmark has a really complicated playoff system to determine their champion.

There are also promotion/relegation playoffs in leagues like the Championship/Bundesliga 2 but those are not really relevant I guess.

Hence the pre-emptive post.
I figured/hoped.

happy new year, gb- I genuinely hope the holidays went well and life is good for you. 

and dammit- I should've have said all that stuff earlier- now everybody knows my non-inter comments are bs. 

top 15 college homegrown prospects for MLS....

15. Erik Holt - CB/DM - UCLA - SIGNED

MLS Academy: Real Salt Lake

College Years: Holt spent three of his four seasons as a starter for the Bruins, earning back-to-back All-Pac-12 first team honors in 2017 and 2018.

Skill Set: His versatility is a huge asset on the field, as Holt is capable of playing in central defense or as a defensive midfielder. If he can catch up with the speed of MLS attackers, he could see plenty of minutes in the upcoming season.

Projection: After finishing his senior season at the Pac-12 program, Holt signed with RSL on Jan. 3 and should start out as a depth piece or option for the Real Monarchs.

14. Antonio Bustamante - CM - William & Mary

Colonial Athletic Association✔@CAASports

· Jun 21, 2018

You bet we remember a historic #CAAChamps for @WMTribeMSoccer last fall and Julian Ngoh's expression SAYS IT ALL!

Top moments from the past year never disappoints. #CAASports

Colonial Athletic Association✔@CAASports

AND of course, 2017 CAA Player of the Year Antonio
Bustamante stole our Best of #CAA17 spotlight. pic.twitter.com/kuByWl8fna

MLS Academy: D.C. United

College Years: A goal-dangerous attacking midfielder for the Tribe, Bustamante racked up 34 goals and 17 assists in his four seasons at the CAA program. He was named Conference Player of the Year in 2017, scoring 15 goals and adding five helpers.

Skill Set: How Bustamante translates to MLS level remains his biggest challenge as he eyes a move to D.C. United. If he can hone his defensive abilities centrally, he could develop into a dangerous box-to-box threat.

Projection: D.C. might have a crowded central midfield, but Bustamante should sign and provide an immediate option for Loudoun United, D.C.’s soon-to-launch USL side.

13. Sam Raben - CB - Wake Forest

MLS Academy: Colorado Rapids

College Years: Raben’s a perfect example of how playing college soccer can benefit a player’s development. He slotted into a starting role for the Demon Deacons during his freshman season in 2015, and provided a constant presence in central defense across 91 games.

Skill Set: Competing in a possession-oriented team, Raben is comfortable on the ball and plenty capable of man-marking and defending in one-v-one situations. Whether he is physical enough to play as a center back in MLS is going to be a big question, although he has the look and makeup of a defensive midfielder at the professional level.

Projection: The four-year senior seems likely to sign with the Rapids, given his exclusion from the MLS Combine list.

12. Jeremiah Gutjahr - CM - Indiana

MLS Academy: Indiana Fire (Chicago Fire affiliate)

College Years: Few players flew under the radar like Gutjahr has the past two seasons. Part of that was due to the ACL injury he suffered in 2017, but before that he showed enough quality to earn a spot on the US Under-20 national team’s qualifying roster for last year’s World Cup. He bounced back in a big way this year, playing in all 24 matches for Indiana.

Skill Set: Capable of playing in various central midfield roles and displaying poise and calmness with the ball, Gutjahr’s a fierce competitor and can handle the demands put upon MLS central midfielders. At just 21, he’s still relatively young for a four-year college player as well.

Projection: The Bloomington native came up through the Indiana Fire Academy, the Hoosier-state club that has an affiliate with the MLS side. His exclusion from the Combine list hints that a Homegrown contract should be coming and he’d be a good depth piece behind Dax McCarty.

11. David Loera - CAM - NC State

NC State Athletics✔@PackAthletics

GOAL @packmenssoccer! David Loera has put the Wolfpack up 1-0 over the top-ranked Tar Heels and the sold-out crowd at Dail Soccer Stadium goes wild!
MLS Academy: Orlando City SC

College Years: Through two seasons at the Wolfpack, Loera’s thrived as one of college soccer’s best attacking midfielders. His production took a step forward with three goals and seven assists this past campaign, giving him 12 helpers in his first two seasons of college ball. He earned First-Team All-ACC honors in 2018.

Skill Set: Astute with the ball at his feet and capable of playing defense-splitting passes, Loera displayed a bit more end product in his game at the college level. As far as No. 10s go, he edges more towards a facilitator and chance creator than finisher.

Projection: Given the challenges college attacking midfielders typically face in translating to MLS, staying another year in school is the expected outcome this offseason.

10. Brandon Williamson - CM - Duke

MLS Academy: D.C. United

College Years: After coming just shy of the 1,000-minute mark his freshman season in 2016, Williamson’s been a key player for Duke during their past two campaigns, which saw the team make back-to-back NCAA tournament appearances. He started 38 games across 2017 and 2018 and was a massively important piece of the team’s central midfield during that time.

Skill Set: A rangy central midfielder who can go box-to-box or sit in front of a backline, Williamson is very good with possession and can control the ball in tight spaces, while connecting play at a rapid pace.

Projection: While D.C. are launching their USL affiliate, providing a spot for Williamson should he earn a look from United, staying in school is inevitable given the first team’s crunch in central midfield.

9. Tate Schmitt - F - Louisville - SIGNED

MLS Academy: Real Salt Lake

College Years: One of the best forwards in college soccer during his four seasons at Louisville, Schmitt’s showed the ability to both lead the line as a No. 9 and drift underneath to facilitate the offense. The Arizona native finished his college career with 26 goals and 17 assists, earning All-ACC honors three out of his four seasons on campus.

Skill Set: While not the biggest striker, Schmitt has enough size and physicality to lead the line in MLS, provided he can make the adjustments to the improved defenders he’ll face. Clean with his touch and able to create with his passing, Schmitt’s not a striker who will race in behind, but he’s more of a connector who can occupy defender/post/2019/01/03/real-salt-lake-sign-tate-schmitt-erik-holt-homegrown-contractss and create problems on and off the ball.

Projection: With his NCAA eligibility used up, Schmitt signed with RSL on Jan. 3. He can get minutes right away with the Real Monarchs in the USL Championship.

8. Benji Michel - F – Portland - SIGNED

Benji Michel | University of Portland

MLS Academy: Orlando City SC

College Years: Ever since moving from central Florida to the Pacific Northwest, Michel’s been a picture of consistency for the Pilots. In 53 games, he scored 31 goals, hitting double-digits in all three seasons on the Bluff.

Skill Set: A striker who can provide both an option in behind defenses and play with his back to goal, Michel’s proven that he can score big goals at the right times. Seven of his 11 tallies as a senior were game-winners. While he’ll need to make the requisite adjustments against MLS defenders, Michel has the tools to be an effective player as a rookie.

Projection: Michel signed a Homegrown deal with the Lions on Monday. He’ll be a good depth piece behind Dom Dwyer.

7. Justin Rennicks - F - Indiana

MLS Academy: New England Revolution

College Years: After a foot injury limited Rennicks in his freshman year, the Revolution academy product enjoyed a much stronger 2018 season. Part of his college season was lost to competing at the Concacaf Championship with the US U-20 national team, but that also didn’t hurt his pro stock either. For Indiana, Rennicks finished the season with six goals in 2018 despite missing four games for qualifying.

Skill Set: Deployed as No. 9 for both IU and the U-20s, it remains to be seen if that is his position at the pro level. Rennicks is more of a second striker or winger in a 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 setup, where he can play out wide or underneath a forward. He has a solid finishing touch and is a smart player, while he demonstrated with the U-20s the ability to combine well and lead the line.

Projection: At this point, Rennicks is heading back to school. Plenty can change between now and preseason, of course.

6. Matt Hundley - M - UCLA

MLS Academy: Colorado Rapids

College Years: In his first season at UCLA, Hundley emerged as danger on the flank, both as a goalscoring threat and creator. While the team had an uneven campaign, Hundley showed he could make an impact as both a starter or off the bench. He finished 2018 with five goals and seven assists.

Skill Set: A dangerous scoring threat from wide areas, if Hundley can fine-tune his defensive approach he seems a lock to succeed as a pro. He can beat defenders off the dribble, play the killer pass and he’s also a relatively reliable finisher in front of goal.

Projection: After exiting the NCAA tournament in the first round, returning to school isn’t out of the question for Hundley. It certainly wouldn’t hamper his development either, unless first team minutes are within reach at the Rapids.

5. Issa Rayyan - M/F - Duke

MLS Academy: Philadelphia Union

College Years: Arguably the breakout freshman of the 2018 college season, Rayyan was an electric starter for the Blue Devils, scoring six goals and adding three assists in 20 games. Few defenders in college soccer could handle his pace from wide spaces, and better finishing from his teammates would’ve boosted his assist total. For his efforts, Rayyan picked up the ACC Freshman of the Year award.

Skill Set: A blend of pace and technique, Rayyan toys with defenders when he has space and time to attack with the ball. He can pinch in from wide spaces to combine with his teammate, although he thrives the most in space.

Projection: Signing a Homegrown contract after one very good season wouldn’t be a huge shock, but playing another year in the ACC would help the Michigan native’s development.

4. Andrew Gutman - LB - Indiana

Indiana On BTN✔@IndianaOnBTN

Andrew Gutman races through the entire Maryland defense to deliver the @IndianaMSOC goal and give the Hoosiers a 1-0 lead over the Terps. #BTNStandout x @AutoOwnersIns

MLS Academy: Chicago Fire

College Years: One of the best players in college soccer the past two seasons, Gutman earned 2018 TopDrawerSoccer.com Player of the Year honors and is the favorite to capture the MAC Hermann Trophy this month. Gutman saved his best for last, scoring 11 times and chipping in nine assists from his left back spot.

Skill Set: At the collegiate level, Gutman embodied everything a coach would seek from a modern fullback. Able to get forward and jump into the attack at will, he scored some sensational individual goals this year. He was no slouch defensively either, as Gutman showed he could handle one-v-one defenses duties and was part of one of college soccer’s best defenses.

Projection: Gutman spent part of December on trial with Rangers in Scotland; if he’s not signed by the Fire, he’s a surefire pro in Europe.

3. Donovan Pines - CB - Maryland

MLS Academy: D.C. United

College Years: After two solid seasons at Maryland, Pines was one of the breakout NCAA stories of 2018. His defensive ability and presence at the back was a huge reason the Terps won the 2018 national championship. It was a massive difference for Maryland when he missed a handful of games here and there with a concussion.

Skill Set: An athletic and steady central defender, Pines can do it all at the back. He’s capable enough with possession and he plays up to his 6-foot-5 frame. One college coach compared him to Ike Opara at the start of the season.

Projection: After capturing a national title, Pines will leave school, whether via a Homegrown deal or Europe.

2. Trey Muse - GK - Indiana

MLS Academy: Seattle Sounders

College Years: After spending two seasons at the Sounders Academy, the Louisville, Kentucky native moved closer to home to begin his college career at IU in 2017. He’s been arguably the top goalkeeper in college soccer during that time, backstopping an elite defense in 2017 and reaching the College Cup in both years in Bloomington.

Skill Set: An all-around modern-day goalkeeper, Muse is calm and collected with the ball at his feet and can make the game-altering save when called upon. Indiana’s defense in front of him was so good during his time, it often left him with little to do, though he was always able to step up in big moments. He has the poise, maturity and the size to be an international goalkeeper.

Projection: Should he decide to leave school, Muse could certainly look to pursue a pro career in Europe or with the Sounders. However, his path to first-team minutes in Seattle would be far from straightforward, meaning it’s back to Bloomington for Muse.

1. Omir Fernandez - M/F - Wake Forest

Wake Men's Soccer✔@WakeMSoccer

Get to know Deacon freshman Omir Fernandez and what led him to Wake Forest in this video spotlight. #GoDeacs

MLS Academy: New York Red Bulls

College Years: During his freshman season, Fernandez (pictured at top) was an effective supersub for Wake Forest, one of the best attacking teams in the country. Provided the chance to start in 2018 as a sophomore, he solidified his status as one of the most electrifying players in the country, scoring 12 goals, adding six assists and earning ACC Offensive Player of the Year honors.

Skill Set: Fernandez thrives in one-v-one attacking situations, able to glide past college defenders with the ball. He’s a good finisher and can combine well, offering an outlet on a regular basis while at Wake Forest.

Projection: Fernandez seems certain to leave school and sign a Homegrown deal with the Red Bulls, where he’s most likely to get the bulk of his reps with Red Bulls II in the USL Championship this season.

solanke to burn-mouth for 19mil lbs. 

liverpool fans- thoughts? promising young englishman... seems a loss. 
I root for all the former players to go on to success (except Sterling, #### that guy), but he seemed completely out of his depth with Liverpool.  If you can't score as the pointy end of the stick on that team...

19m seems like great business.

Crew announce that Tim Bezbatchenko will take over as President and Caleb Porter will be the new coach.

Tim was the GM at Toronto which saw them go from one of the worst teams to Champions under his watch.

why chelsea is scum
If you don't know, then no one can tell you!  I mean they aren't as bad as Liverpool or City but still.

I'm sure this was all covered earlier but:

Only reason to worry about CP to Chelsea is playing time.  If Hazard leaves then he should get first shot at the left side starter.  If Hazard stays, will he get meaningful minutes? I know the US plays him other spots but he always looked best to me on the left.

I didn't think he was a good fit at United, too many left sided players already. Not sure where else would be a good move.  Needs to play. Better if he is on a top team.

He's not getting games at Dortmund, not sure why he would for the bolded (or Chelsea, unless Hazard leaves, and even then not sure).

Users who are viewing this thread