What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (3 Viewers)

Leaving aside that @Crystal Palace in the middle of @Tottenham, Tottenham, Tottenham, @United is the mother of all trap games, let's assume for a minute City get through Sunday unscathed and are a point clear of Liverpool with five games remaining for both teams.

If you sort the remaining games for each by difficulty, Liverpool have the easier match in each pair:

• Liverpool:  Chelsea, Wolves, @Newcastle, @Cardiff, Huddersfield
  • City:  @United, Tottenham, Leicester, @Burnley, @Brighton
If they get through Chelsea with a win I think I'd rather be Liverpool.  Especially if City advance in the Champion's League.

Last edited by a moderator:
When my son played in a local league at U8, all the teams were named after Euro powerhouse clubs.  His team was named "Inter Milan."  All the parents called his team "Milan" - drove me ####in crazy, but try to explain it to any of them and my wife is rolling her eyes, I'm getting blank stares or worse, and sure enough, I'm the ###hole. What else is new. 
As a Milan fan that would piss me off if the parents on the team referred to their kids Inter Milan team as Milan. Do they know how disrespectful that is? 

Yesterday in a Swedish league game a sub was coming on.  When the guy coming off came near him, they did a double high five.

One of the hands missed, and ended up poking the guy coming on in the eye.

He could not see and ended up having to be immediately subbed himself.

:)

I have come to the conclusion that MLS has grown as much as it can and will be stuck at this current size/popularity (or even likely go down) unless they can solve the Chicago/NY/Boston issues.  Those cities are too big and important(financially) to have the league be almost meaningless in.

It is great to dream that in those big cities the league could be as popular as it is in Portland, Cincy and KC but I don't ever see that happening in my life.

This news below from NY is downright depressing.

https://www.prosoccerusa.com/mls/new-york-red-bulls/new-york-red-bulls-downsize-home-stadium-with-tarps/

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Streatham Rovers FC‏ @StreathamRovers

FollowFollow @StreathamRovers

More

OFFICIAL REQUEST: Can the person leaving dreadful karaoke recordings of 'I Wanna Sex You Up' on the answering machine of our club committee chairman Derek Connor's answering machine please cease immediately.
More soccer greatness involving the Streatham Rovers:

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1115680648684081153

Here's the teamsheet for tonight's game and we are absolutely furious because Sydenham have fielded their players to spell out "SRFC ARE ####". We know this for a fact because Dane Francis, a striker, is wearing number 3. Hope the league committee throw the book at them for this.

:lmao:

It looks like they are going to take both Sacramento and St Louis together as teams 28 and 29 but pop them both for $200m.....jesus that fee is escalating too quickly.

I think it was Mark Cuban who last year said MLS team valuations are getting too far ahead of its revenues.
Depends on whether you think soccer in the US is Pets.com or Amazon.

@Sebowski @The Gator @Bluto Blutarsky

Or any of you other guys - What do you know about East Coast beers?

I am going to this Beerfest on Saturday - I will have unlimited 4-oz samples from any of the brewers.  Any that standout that I should try?
Those are breweries from all over, coast to coast. There are some heavy hitters, like Dogfish, Ballast Pt, Omegang, Lagunitas, Bells and Founders.  You can’t go wrong with any of these.  I wouldn’t worry about seeking out any particular brewery, but rather just trying different styles and finding something you like. The beauty of the beer fest is you can take a sip and dump the rest if it’s not good. 

Nice to see a board of governors meeting in MLS actually announce some real decisions instead of the normal "we had lots of discussions and will talk about it more in the future" type of news.

So Sacramento has been chasing a team for years.   Someone just posted when they made their first bid, the expansion fee was only $75m.   Missing out on a couple of rounds is going to cost an extra $125m.   No wonder MLS continued to force them to look for stronger financial ownership.  They knew they were going to be jacking the fees through the roof.

MLS may have stumbled upon something today.

Normally teams stream some random youth games on youtube and get a couple of hundred viewers, and that is on a good day.

Today Seattle decided to stream the Sounders vs West Ham youth game on Twitch and some how drew 50,000 viewers.  It was the most popular channel at the time on twitch.

Given Twitches demographics, this seems like a marriage made in heaven.  

:lmao:

Eredivisie just postponed an entire week of fixtures - just to give Ajax more time to prepare for Tottenham.
Well, Dutch FA was really in a no win situation here.  Ajax had another game scheduled within 48 hours of the Spurs game, and there are national holidays which would interfere with the reschedule of that game.  So, they either had to allow extra time for Ajax in the league (which they are in a virtual dead heat with PSV for first), or give them extra time for Spurs. 

Obviously all the UK media are under the impression it was for the match vs. Tottenham.

Oh, and of course they are correct, but still.  

I've bet on them to advance vs Spurs beforehand, so I'm in full support of the Dutch FA.

Those are breweries from all over, coast to coast. There are some heavy hitters, like Dogfish, Ballast Pt, Omegang, Lagunitas, Bells and Founders.  You can’t go wrong with any of these.  I wouldn’t worry about seeking out any particular brewery, but rather just trying different styles and finding something you like. The beauty of the beer fest is you can take a sip and dump the rest if it’s not good. 
HE DIDN'T ASK YOU. 

I was going to give the opposite advice. You can find those breweries everywhere. Try the smaller guys. Also, #### corporate beer so stay away from Ballast (just shut down 2 locations and fired a #### load of people including friends of mine), Devil's Backbone, and to a lesser extend Lagunitas. Lagunitas is owned by Heineken. Not as dirty a player as the other big beer corporations, but in the end still big beer that spends part of th emoneybyou give them on lobbyists to change laws that deliberately hurt small family local beer. 

Sebowski said:
HE DIDN'T ASK YOU. 

I was going to give the opposite advice. You can find those breweries everywhere. Try the smaller guys. Also, #### corporate beer so stay away from Ballast (just shut down 2 locations and fired a #### load of people including friends of mine), Devil's Backbone, and to a lesser extend Lagunitas. Lagunitas is owned by Heineken. Not as dirty a player as the other big beer corporations, but in the end still big beer that spends part of th emoneybyou give them on lobbyists to change laws that deliberately hurt small family local beer. 
Here's my advice to him: "I wouldn’t worry about seeking out any particular brewery, but rather just trying different styles and finding something you like. The beauty of the beer fest is you can take a sip and dump the rest if it’s not good."

Drink good beer.  Ain't nobody got no time for any of that other BS.  

NewlyRetired said:
So Sacramento has been chasing a team for years.   Someone just posted when they made their first bid, the expansion fee was only $75m.   Missing out on a couple of rounds is going to cost an extra $125m.   No wonder MLS continued to force them to look for stronger financial ownership.  They knew they were going to be jacking the fees through the roof.
Luckily, David Tepper has the pockets for that if he is really serious.  

He has been apparently sent surveys to Panthers season ticket holders about having a shared stadium with an MLS franchise.  It makes sense as the only real way to get both downtown, but would need at the very least some type of canopy cover like the Miami Dolphins added.  When Bank of America stadium has hosted ICC games during the day it is just brutally hot in there.

@Sebowski @The Gator @Bluto Blutarsky

Or any of you other guys - What do you know about East Coast beers?

I am going to this Beerfest on Saturday - I will have unlimited 4-oz samples from any of the brewers.  Any that standout that I should try?
I actually work Beer and wine at my job. I wouldn't call myself a beer expert but I know the local breweries and what sells well. Sixpoint we get and we seem to sell that in the Summer more so then winter, 

Deschutes Brewery isn't a big seller but it's mostly do to the price of their beer. It's good but I've only seen the darker beers in my stores

Ballast Point is another good one. Cans seem to sell better. They got some interesting flavors

Founders is incredible popular especially the All Day IPA. We sell out of the 6 pack bottles and 15 pack cans especially in the summer almost every weekend especially during times where we have Founders as a focused beer to sell

Victory Is also popular. Golden and Sour Monkey's. The Sour is really sour not something I'd get often but once in awhile it's good. Their beers are fairly strong taste wise. 

Terripen is one I've seen but Don't know a lot about

Omme Gang is from NY and their main Brewery I believe is in Coopertown right across the street from the MLB HoF. I've had several customers talk about going to the brewery after a trip to the Hall. The Company is also the sellers of the collectors Game Of Thrones Bottles so if you are a GOT fan I'd definitely try to get to their spot and see if they have the GOT beers to sample. I love their Belgian Ale's though. 

Sweetwater doesn't sell very well but they are very popular down as they are from ATL so not sure I'd consider them East Coast

DogFish Head is a huge seller. Their Brewery is in Delaware about a 30 min drive from where I am. Their 60 and 90 Min IPA sell off our shelves constantly. They have some other stuff too 

Bells is a popular one as well. The Bass ales sell fairly well and was one of our top sellers when we first opened about 3 yrs ago.

I'm not great with actual recommendations of what kind of beer but based just on Brewery's and all these were the ones I noticed. Its a shame they don't have Yards or Troeggs there for ya though as both those companies have some great selections 

Sounds like Andre Silva despite a fast start will be going back to Milan at end of his loan spell at Villarreal. They have an option to buy but it's close to 40M. He's been dogged by inconsistency and injury second half of the season. Theres rumors Milan could use him to lower the price on Mairselle Winger Florian Thauvin though or another deal. 

I'll be able to watch both my Clubs Milan and the Union before Work tomorrow (Which isn't something I get to say very often. Milan plays Parma at 650 am and Union play at home at 1PM as part of a doubleheader with their Developmental club Bethlehem Steel who are using PPL Park until they can figure out their stadium issues. I'll be able to not only see both matches but have an hour before work to spare too. 

Here's my advice to him: "I wouldn’t worry about seeking out any particular brewery, but rather just trying different styles and finding something you like. The beauty of the beer fest is you can take a sip and dump the rest if it’s not good."

Drink good beer.  Ain't nobody got no time for any of that other BS.  
I can appreciate that, but there's lots of good beer. It's actually super easy to deal with "that other BS". Look at that list he posted. Just stay away from 3 of the 40 breweries and you aren't supporting evil tyranny. 

Yeah, pretty exciting stuff. Can't wait to see how this turns out.

I might finally have to jump on the MLS wagon.
Unless a total collapse happens, I think both St Louis and Sacramento are in.  I just don't know when.  Sacramento can build the second they get the bid accepted, but I am unsure how long St Louis's clock will be and if they will play at a temp site while building.

I think both cities are going to do well for support, at least initially.

FDB will be on the hot seat soon if results don't get better.

SOUR GRAPES WARNING - PLEASE STOP READING HERE UNLESS YOU WANT TO READ ME WHINING.

Just went to the first AUFC match I could make it to and took my daughter for her birthday.  The time wasting and "injury" delays was just pathetic.  I may be wrong but for all the players that went down for Dallas I don't think any had to come off injured and even if one of the like 7-8 did it wasn't serious.  Something like 12 total minutes of stoppage time.  And I was warned, I understand I'm whining but for ####'s sake, I'm there to watch them play.  Keeper got a yellow for time wasting after being warned about 5 times.  I have no issues with a team parking the bus or pumping long balls forward and in this match Dallas absolutely deserved the win as they had 2 nice counter attack goals and defended well enough but just stop with all the ####### time wasting. 

I am trying to collect my thoughts here because I can't put together a solid take on this issue

=========================================

* David Beckham signed with MLS back in 2007, with one key component to his contract which was the ability to buy an MLS expansion franchise for $25m

* Beckham (and many others) helped the league grow slowly but surely.

* Beckham retired in 2013.

* His deal to buy an MLS expansion team was said to have a deadline but the exact time line was never really clear

* On Feb 5, 2014, Beckham officially exercised his option for an MLS franchise to be played in Miami

* Fast forward almost 5 years now, and Miami is still completely up in the air, facing problems every where they try to build.

* In the mean time, what was once looked at as a solid component of Beckham's contract (the $25m fee) has now grown to outrageous proportions as that $25m is getting him the same ticket that will cost St. Louis and Sacramento $200m to buy.

* The MLS owners are star ####ers as much as the next guy but I have to think sooner or later they have to make a decision that Becks has taken way too long to get the franchise up and running, and free up an expansion slot that could generate them an extra $175m (the difference between the $200m going price and Beck's $25m deal).

My Revs reached a new low last night.

Montreal had arguably the worst travel in MLS history, taking a monstrous 36 hours to get to Foxboro, only arriving a couple of hours before kick off and they still beat the home team 3-0 in front of at most, 27 booing fans.

What a mess here.

Users who are viewing this thread