What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (6 Viewers)

Villa just beat West Brom in a penalty shootout. Hopefully Leeds takes care of business tomorrow and then again against Villa. Villa can't come up until either Burnley or West Ham go down, we're full up on claret and blue for now. These are some of my favorite matches to watch every year. 
A Derby v Villa final would give us Lampard v Terry.  

btw... I've been noticing horrible attendance across the board in MLS games I've been watching. like back to the old days horrible. might just be the luck of the draw of what games I'm checking out, but it's been bad.

caveat- I haven't been watching LA, SEA or ATL games. 

btw... I've been noticing horrible attendance across the board in MLS games I've been watching. like back to the old days horrible. might just be the luck of the draw of what games I'm checking out, but it's been bad.

caveat- I haven't been watching LA, SEA or ATL games. 
the story has not changed much from the last few years.

Chicago, NE, NYR, Dallas, Colorado, Columbus, Houston and some other teams continue to struggle while the newer teams do well.  

Portland will be opening its new expanded stadium soon and every seat is sure to be sold out.

Here are the hard numbers reported so far for 2019  (note that the reported numbers don't always match butts in seats).

https://soccerstadiumdigest.com/2019-mls-attendance/

Chicago, NE, NYR, Dallas, Colorado, Columbus, Houston and some other teams continue to struggle while the newer teams do well.  

Portland will be opening its new expanded stadium soon and every seat is sure to be sold out.

Here are the hard numbers reported so far for 2019  (note that the reported numbers don't always match butts in seats).

thanks. yeah- butts vs reported numbers aren't jibing.

the RB games I've watched look to be about 10k max, given the 25k capacity and looking essentially 1/3 full. that 15k number would be 3/5 full... not based on what I've seen. 

I'm very happy to see them back on track.  Although I mentally have been staying disengaged as I plan to be a Nashville SC fan.  
It seemed like a matter of time when the results would get better - too much talent to be playing that poorly.  I think the fear a lot of fans had was the switch from Tata to FDB.  Early returns looked horrible but the last month they've been excellent - especially defensively.  There's still some holes but right now they have to be one of the favorites in the East.

Attendance has continued to look good in ATL but does seem off some.  I think that's due to lots of people with season tickets have had that new shine wear off and aren't making all the matches.  We had the 4 seats next to us completely empty in the club level for a game this year.  I've missed a couple games myself but always making sure the tickets are used.  They don't seem to have any problems being full capacity when the upper deck is closed.  This past Sunday I think was the first time the upper deck was open and there was 68k which I think is about 5k short of capacity. 

oof

=====================

Ruben Loftus-Cheek is facing up to 12 months out after suffering a devastating ruptured Achilles injury.

Midfielder Loftus-Cheek collapsed in agony after damaging his left Achilles in Chelsea's friendly at New England Revolution and left the Gillette Stadium on crutches with his foot in a protective boot. 

oof

=====================

Ruben Loftus-Cheek is facing up to 12 months out after suffering a devastating ruptured Achilles injury.

Midfielder Loftus-Cheek collapsed in agony after damaging his left Achilles in Chelsea's friendly at New England Revolution and left the Gillette Stadium on crutches with his foot in a protective boot. 
could this unfortunate injury in a completely stupid game open up room for Pulisic?

could this unfortunate injury in a completely stupid game open up room for Pulisic?
I don't see Pulisic competing with RLC for playing time as RLC was playing the free 8. Hudson-Odoi's injury otoh might open up room though he might jet off to Munich so I'm not sure that will matter.

Chelsea have Hazard, Willian, and Pedro wide and all could be gone by next year. But they probably have 75 guys on loan. What's weird is they never want any loan players back. They just go buy more. Half the premier league wants Tammy Abraham but Chelsea apparently is not in that half despite already owning him and having no striker. 

oof

=====================

that's so revs.

Sad times when there is a 13 minute highlight reel of the top 25 goals of the season and not a single one has Manchester United for or against.

This is one of the rare times I think announcing a coaching move early is a bad thing.

=========================

In Holland, 1st Division De Graafschap plays 2nd division Cambuur in a promotion/relegation playoff.

Henk De Jong currently coaches De Graafschap and next season will be coaching Cambuur.

Last edited by a moderator:
wow, from what I have read FIFA could not have ####ed up the ticketing for the WWC any worse than they did and then their tweets were completely tone deaf on how to fix the problem.  Then their mea culpa tweet was even worse.   It is absolute amateur hour.

In short, FIFA sold group tickets where the seats ended up not being next to each other.    I have been reading online from many couples who bought tickets together only to be placed in completely separate parts of the stadium.

love this.

is it because they won whatever wales' national league is? assuming all the welsh pro teams play in the english pyramid and not there?
I believe they qualified for a 4 team playoff for the third Europa League spot by finishing 7th in the Welsh league, but its a bit more complicated than that (hence my comment, Wales is weird.) 

Here's the Wiki 

The season is split into two phases, and concludes with an end of season Playoff to determine Wales' fourth European side for the following year.

Phase 1

Phase 1 runs from MD1 in August through to MD22 in mid-January. Each team plays the other sides in the league twice, once at home and once away, making a total of twenty-two games.

After the conclusion of Phase 1, the league splits in two, with the top six teams forming the Championship Conference, and the bottom six teams forming the Playoff Conference. All points accumulated by teams in Phase 1 are brought forward into Phase 2

Phase 2

Phase 2 then runs from MD23 at the start of February through to MD32 at the end of April. Each side plays the other five in their conference twice more, home and away, to bring up a total of thirty-two games played.

The side finishing top of the Championship Conference after thirty-two games is the League Champion, and will qualify for the UEFA Champions League. To date six teams have won the title in twenty-six seasons.

The Runners-Up in the Championship Conference qualify automatically for the UEFA Europa League, whilst the remaining teams qualify for the end of season European Playoffs.

The bottom two sides in the Playoff Conference are relegated. Meanwhile the side finishing top of the Playoff Conference (seventh place in the league table) advances to the European Playoffs.

Note that sides in the Playoff Conference can finish no higher in the table than seventh.

European Playoffs

The five teams finishing in 3rd-7th contest the end of season European Playoffs. 6th host 7th in a Quarter-Final, with the winner travelling to the 3rd placed side for the first Semi-Final, whilst 4th host 5th in the other.

The winners then meet at the ground of the highest ranked side in the Final, with the winner qualifying for the UEFA Europa League.

In the event that one of the five teams has already qualified for Europe by winning the JD Welsh Cup, then the remaining four sides will contest the Playoffs directly from the Semi-Final stage.

In the event that one of the top two sides wins the JD Welsh Cup, then the third placed side will automatically take up a UEFA Europa League spot. The remaining four sides will then contest the Playoffs directly from the Semi-Final stage.

Perhaps slightly less convoluted than the Dutch second division promotion playoff system, but unnecessarily complicated nonetheless.

I believe they qualified for a 4 team playoff for the third Europa League spot by finishing 7th in the Welsh league, but its a bit more complicated than that (hence my comment, Wales is weird.) 

Here's the Wiki 

Perhaps slightly less convoluted than the Dutch second division promotion playoff system, but unnecessarily complicated nonetheless.
I actually like this method... allows fans to see the top teams battle in the second half of the season. downside is once you're in the bottom half, you're essentially stuck wihtout room for moving up- outside of the play-in game for europa qualifying.

Wait, what? Are you sure you linked the right goal?  I'm not seeing anything that exciting there.
ESPN has taught you well I guess.....

Not saying this is a top 5 goal, but top 25 with the movement and passing and end product.  Especially when several of the top 25 are a bender from the top of the box to the far post.  Something Robben and Messi have made all too common and now seemingly everyone is doing it.

Heck even Pereira did it and didn't seem to make the list: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W5sPVsFcVc

NewlyRetired said:
UEFA is screwing up the Europa League Final so badly that it is even going to make FIFA sit up and say "damn, even we are not that bad"
FIFA is holding its own with the ticket debacle for the women’s World Cup this summer.  I read that families and other groups who bought blocks of tickets, only to later learn they have single tickets spread throughout the stadium, are being told there was a disclaimer on the online ticket sale website warning them this might happen, so tough luck. 

FIFA is holding its own with the ticket debacle for the women’s World Cup this summer.  I read that families and other groups who bought blocks of tickets, only to later learn they have single tickets spread throughout the stadium, are being told there was a disclaimer on the online ticket sale website warning them this might happen, so tough luck. 
yup!  That is what I was referring to

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/724965-official-soccer-discussion-thread/?do=findComment&comment=21917563

Bundesliga relegation playoffs start today.

Stuttgart hosts Union Berlin today, then Stuttgart at Union Berlin on Monday.

I love relegation playoffs
The Dutch one is bonkers:

It starts out kind of crazy with the league names: The "Ere Divisie" ("honor league") is the top league while the "Eerste Divisie" (first league) is the second league.

At the end of each season, the champion of the Eerste Divisie is automatically promoted to the Eredivisie. Eight other clubs enter the Nacompetitie [ˈnaːkɔmpəˌti(t)si], a promotion/relegation playoff that includes the 16th- and 17th-place clubs in the Eredivisie. The following teams qualify for the Nacompetitie:

The club with the best record in the "first period" of the season (after 8 rounds).

The club with the best record in the "second period" of the season (rounds 9–16).

The club with the best record in the "third period" of the season (rounds 17–24).

The club with the best record in the "fourth period" of the season (rounds 25–32).

The two remaining spots are filled at the season's end by the highest-placed clubs that have not already earned automatic promotion or qualified for the Nacompetitie.

If the club that wins a period has qualified for the Nacompetitie by winning a previous period, its place is filled by the next-best club in that period that has not already qualified. Usually, the clubs that qualify for the Nacompetitie turn out to be the 2nd- through 9th-placed clubs in the final table. Clubs in the Nacompetitie face each other in a knock-out system with the numbers 16 and 17 of the Eredivisie for two places in next season's Eredivisie.

This year in the Erste Divisie, Jong PSV finished 3rd, but is not eligible for the Nacompetitie because reserve teams can't play in the Ere Divisie.

The club I glommed onto when I lived in The Netherlands, Go Ahead Eagles, are well familiar with the relegation/promotion process.  They made the playoffs again this season (5th) and got a bye into the second round; beat Den Bosch over 2 legs (a mild upset) and are in the 3rd round against Waalwijk.  Waalwijk upset Excelsior (one of the Ere Divisie teams) in the last round.

Users who are viewing this thread