What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (7 Viewers)

- Maldini has accepted role of technical director
- Will choose a sporting director, could be a former player (Costacurta) 
- Giampaolo already chosen as next coach

🔴⚫

[Di Marzio]

On my phone in a parked car so no link but Squires’ cartoon on the CL final is an all-time classic.   Referring to the game as a Farage of a final (something awful inflicted on Europe by England) is only the third or fourth funniest moment. 

Prior to this year only 13 players in MLS history have achieved at least 15 goals and 10 assists in a season.

Vela became the 14th and the season is not even half way over..

As much as I'd love to see him play live again- hell, I'd pay to see zidane play again- it makes me a little sad to think of tubby Messi trotting out on turf fields. Would he incredible for MLS though.
He has said in the past that he does not see even going back to Argentina because his family is so ingrained in Spain.  Even if he gets a Beckham like deal with future ownership, I don't see him coming.

They have a better chance at Suarez I think but even that is a long shot.   Hopefully Becks does not get so enamored with the old big names that he neglects young players from South America.

Can I get a link to the **Official USWNT** thread?

Looks like a solid bandwagon to jump onto.
Let me summarize the whole thread for you to save time.

"we deserve the same amount of money as the men from US Soccer no matter what the differences in revenue are"

"please ignore the fact that US Soccer pays our club salaries when considering the first point."

Let me summarize the whole thread for you to save time.

"we deserve the same amount of money as the men from US Soccer no matter what the differences in revenue are"

"please ignore the fact that US Soccer pays our club salaries when considering the first point."
I’m guessing I won’t find 12 pages debating Ali Krieger over Casey Short? K, back to MLB.

Once the WC starts, we'll probably chatter a bit. Might be worth it's own thread- uswnt seems to have fans outside of the usual soccer community here.
Sorry to be a lazy interloper, I don’t follow this thread closely, but is anyone excited NUFC is about to buy the league? I mean, who doesn’t love an underdog? This is like Bezos taking over the Lions from the Fords.

Not a done deal yet apparently & Benitez is on his third week of vacation/seclusion. Can’t wait to see it happen, though.

I wonder if we will ever see this level of corruption again?  

https://i.redd.it/1r6hcisqia231.jpg
Chuck Blazer was my old company’s first client (telecom services.) I’m well acquainted with his story & no doubt he was devoid of morals & ethically challenged. Total coincidence he & his partner had their office in Trump Tower. So with a country mile of caveats, I’ll just say he was a good guy to be friends with. Gave me a lot of good hookups the first 4-5 years I was in the city.

Still don’t know how/why Shep got tangled up with him, he was his #2 guy on a bunch of deals. Without any caveats I can tell you Messing is one of the nicest & most gracious b-list celebs I’ve ever known.

Sorry to be a lazy interloper, I don’t follow this thread closely, but is anyone excited NUFC is about to buy the league? I mean, who doesn’t love an underdog? This is like Bezos taking over the Lions from the Fords.

Not a done deal yet apparently & Benitez is on his third week of vacation/seclusion. Can’t wait to see it happen, though.
@DJackson10 is our main fan. I like them because of Yeti and because of the beer. Will be interesting to see how soon the money can push them up into the too group. 

Luka Jovic to Real Madrid confirmed by both clubs.  As an Europa League aficionado, I saw this kid play several games and would say he is pretty fookin good. 21 years old. Plays CF, finishes, turns chances into goals.

https://twitter.com/Eintracht/status/1135871332271427584

https://twitter.com/realmadrid/status/1135874789627899904
Frankfurt made out like bandits here.  I think they signed him for relatively small money from Benfica based on a clause in the loan deal and then sold him for big money to Madrid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Luka Jovic to Real Madrid confirmed by both clubs.  As an Europa League aficionado, I saw this kid play several games and would say he is pretty fookin good. 21 years old. Plays CF, finishes, turns chances into goals.

https://twitter.com/Eintracht/status/1135871332271427584

https://twitter.com/realmadrid/status/1135874789627899904
Oof, I think he's really good and I would like to keep him out of Real's clutches. We just broke their vice grip on the CL trophy and I could use a little break from them having the most talented lineup in the world.

For you Atlanta fans, Barco looks fantastic today for Argentina in the U20 WC.  

I know he has been good this year in MLS.  He looks like a completely different player from last year.

@DJackson10 is our main fan. I like them because of Yeti and because of the beer. Will be interesting to see how soon the money can push them up into the too group
I'm sure the new owners will go on a buying spree but there's a long way between NUFC and the top English clubs.  Ashley hasn't invested in their academy and consequently they haven't produced much in the way of homegrown talent.  They're really underrepresented at the U** levels.

Maybe they can bring back Yohan Kebab

On my phone in a parked car so no link but Squires’ cartoon on the CL final is an all-time classic.   Referring to the game as a Farage of a final (something awful inflicted on Europe by England) is only the third or fourth funniest moment. 
So in other words I shouldn't bother trying to catch a replay of the match? 

I read that CL final ratings were down pretty substantially. I only speak for myself that Pool and Spurs playing for the 15th time this year took a lot out of it for me.
In general down, in the US alone, etc? I can only speak for US but they put the dam CL rights to TNT which isn't regular cable most people get unlike FOX. TNT was the only place to watch this. I totally forgot the CL was bought rights wise by TNT and tried to get the match on FOX first Whoops. With Cord cutters many people don't get TNT but they did get regular FOX. I also suspect many people weren't paying for the B/R app to watch their clubs behind a pay wall. Plus I could see people not watching do to the clubs in the final and fans not having interest. Since I started watching soccer more before this past week I may have missed 1 CL final in 11 yrs I just had zero interest in the 2 clubs 

Does anyone who's not a Liverpool fan even like the club? It seems even most people in the city are Everton fans anyway 

Here's why there's not more love for Liverpool.  Starting at 8:10 gets into why there's so much hate towards them throughout England. 

Cliff notes- 

Everton was the first team established at Anfield, but they couldn't pay rent and had to move. 

This allowed the owner of Anfield to start Liverpool FC

Good local rivalry formed

Liverpool and Everton become dominate in Europe, especially Liverpool.

There's a tragedy in the 1985 European Cup final between Liverpool and Juventus where Liverpool fans were found guilty of attacking/crushing Juve fans.

ALL English teams are banned from playing in Europe. This while Everton were a top 5 team in Europe. 

I’m not sure how much Heysel still resonates today, although I know there was significant resentment in the 80s and 90s.  Football tribalism is strange. It’s unlike our own sports fanaticism, but ultimately I think it’s also just a matter of successful teams being resented and disliked.  I’ve never been to Merseyside, but was told by a British (former) co-worker, I think in complete seriousness, that if I ever go there I have to keep an eye on my car or my hubcaps WILL be stolen. 

Ok.

I'm over the ####ty Pen, and over the ####ty result.

Now its time to dream - rumors are Spurs might sign someone this summer!!

(Of course it also means Eriksen and Alderweireld are off - and probably one other "name" player)

Ok.

I'm over the ####ty Pen, and over the ####ty result.

Now its time to dream - rumors are Spurs might sign someone this summer!!

(Of course it also means Eriksen and Alderweireld are off - and probably one other "name" player)
saw something where they're talking about even signing 3 quality players! 

signing ANY players has to be seen as a win at this point, right? but quality players- wow... salad days indeed.

saw something where they're talking about even signing 3 quality players! 

signing ANY players has to be seen as a win at this point, right? but quality players- wow... salad days indeed.
Yeah - they are in the mix for Lo Celso and Ndombele - both of whom would be great signings.

Bale is possible - depending on how much RM is willing to pick up the tab on the wages still owed - this may come down to negotiations on Eriksen

I'd make Spurs favorites for the Sessegnon brothers - but that is more with an eye towards the future.

Alderweireld can leave for £25M - so I expect him to leave.  Eriksen wants to leave, but he might have played himself out of a big move to Madrid with his lackluster play in too many games this season.  I think he has played himself into a corner - since he turned down a contract extension 18 months ago - when everyone else was cashing in - and now, I am not sure what big money teams will be willing to pay Spurs what they want, and Eriksen what he wants.  One of the reliable ITKs suggests there may be an unexpected player to leave - I would guess this is Dele.

I wonder if Erickson picked up a knock that they kept under wraps. towards the end of the season it seemed like his play at the end really tailed off. I think he's still got a lot of good years ahead of him.

Delle... He's like Weah. Moments where he seems like he could be an all-world talent. And then entire games where you wonder if he's even playing. I'd be okay with them selling him for as much as they could get.

I wonder if Becks has tried to open the treasure chest for this guy?  Seems like a dream fit....

https://twitter.com/FCBayernEN/status/1136223288512921602
James is still youngish, no? seems like a lot of teams would like to have him- and he'd probably still want to play top-level ball somewhere, I'd guess.

but what about chachi. not getting younger, and at a certain point soon you have to figure being a role-player for a lower tier EPL team will lose its charm and he'd want to cash in on being a mega-star in MLS.

Sounds like the Bloomberg article may have been misleading

https://twitter.com/Rafanelli/status/1136181385679515648
Interesting.  The Spiegel article is paywalled (and in German) but it says they were having trouble serving him and moved it to Federal Court.  (Not sure why that helps.)
if he's convicted of a US crime, does that mean he gets to play in MLS finally?

eta: its' a bad joke about a terrible alleged crime.

Is there a USWNT thread or a discussion about that team anywhere?  
there is no specific thread.  Feel free to discuss them in either here or the US thread.  Or maybe just start a WWC thread since that will be the focus of the discussion and will likely draw in viewers who don't normally participate in the numerous soccer threads.

Here's why there's not more love for Liverpool.  Starting at 8:10 gets into why there's so much hate towards them throughout England. 

Cliff notes- 

Everton was the first team established at Anfield, but they couldn't pay rent and had to move. 

This allowed the owner of Anfield to start Liverpool FC

Good local rivalry formed

Liverpool and Everton become dominate in Europe, especially Liverpool.

There's a tragedy in the 1985 European Cup final between Liverpool and Juventus where Liverpool fans were found guilty of attacking/crushing Juve fans.

ALL English teams are banned from playing in Europe. This while Everton were a top 5 team in Europe. 
I know about the Juve incident Was that the Hillsboro (SP) disaster or am I thinking of something different? This was when they let too many fans at one of the ends and the Stands collapsed, netting fell over etc. Security was blamed as well as the Liverpool supporters section I believe. After that rules were changed on amount of fans allowed over on the ends I believe 

Users who are viewing this thread