What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (5 Viewers)

arguably the worst owner in MLS is out of the league.  The Chicago Fire announced today that Andrew Hauptman has sold his controlling stake in the Fire to Joe Mansueto who will be the sole owner.

• Smile
Reactions: Ned
I've not been following the FIRE! closely for the last several years because of Hauptman's crap. Was wondering who was pushing the move out of Bridgeview. Maybe I can start watching again.

Mansueto

Hauptman took control of the Fire in September 2007, and his tenure will be regarded as checkered at best. The club won six trophies from 1998-2006 but zero under Hauptman and hasn’t earned a playoff victory since 2009. The club, once one of American soccer’s success stories, cycled through executives and plans under Hauptman, all with the same lack of success.

Relations with fans also soured, and attendance at SeatGeek Stadium and general interest in the team plummeted. In 2013, a piece posted on their website and bylined by a now-departed communications executive “Editorial: What it means to be part of the Fire family” criticizing supporters for their alleged conduct after a 2013 US Open Cup loss, went viral and brought the club national ridicule. The team’s relationship with Section 8 after the banishment of the Sector Latino supporters group last summer still needs repair.
Link to the Editorial

Last edited by a moderator:
arguably the worst owner in MLS is out of the league.  The Chicago Fire announced today that Andrew Hauptman has sold his controlling stake in the Fire to Joe Mansueto who will be the sole owner.
Jesus.  Forbes just released the finances.

Hauptmann paid $35m to buy the club back in 2007.

Between last summer and this summer, he has sold his 100% stake for $400m and that is just for the team.  There is no stadium as part of the assets.

Jesus.  Forbes just released the finances.

Hauptmann paid $35m to buy the club back in 2007.

Between last summer and this summer, he has sold his 100% stake for $400m and that is just for the team.  There is no stadium as part of the assets.
That's a nice return. The risk in 2007 was high though that the MLS owners cabal was going to lose everything.

Good weekend for United overall. Beat Leicester without Pogba, Martial, Shaw (which meant Matic and Young had to play), Kept a clean sheet, watched Arsenal and Evertone drop points, Moved up to 4th, 2 points behind City, and signed De Gea to an extension.  Hopefully this gets De Gea focused and back to his best.

Up next: Away to WHU, home to Arsenal, away to Newcastle, Home to LIVERPOOL

Went to Allianz last night for a match. What a beautiful stadium. Also hung out w Dark Clouds beforehand. Nice people.

it was a long time coming.  Looks like they finally got across the finish line

==========

Major League Soccer is set to add a fourth team to the state of California, and an announcement could come soon. Just weeks after awarding a franchise to the city of St. Louis, MLS is expected to do the same for the city of Sacramento, sources tell CBS Sports.

A source said that an announcement was initially planned for this week but had to be pushed back. Sacramento will become the 29th franchise as commissioner Don Garber pushes for his goal of expanding the league to 30 teams, which was announced back in April. 

"It's 100 percent done. They would begin play in 2022," a source told CBS Sports. 

it was a long time coming.  Looks like they finally got across the finish line

==========

Major League Soccer is set to add a fourth team to the state of California, and an announcement could come soon. Just weeks after awarding a franchise to the city of St. Louis, MLS is expected to do the same for the city of Sacramento, sources tell CBS Sports.

A source said that an announcement was initially planned for this week but had to be pushed back. Sacramento will become the 29th franchise as commissioner Don Garber pushes for his goal of expanding the league to 30 teams, which was announced back in April. 

"It's 100 percent done. They would begin play in 2022," a source told CBS Sports. 
I don't get why another bay area team, esp in Sacramento, is more desirable then San Diego.  The initial responses against SD was all the people from Mexico coming over to watch.  What you don't like paying fans coming to watch?

I get the soccer city vs sdsu issues, but cmon.  

I don't get why another bay area team, esp in Sacramento, is more desirable then San Diego.  The initial responses against SD was all the people from Mexico coming over to watch.  What you don't like paying fans coming to watch?

I look at San Diego some what like St. Louis.  They will be a no brainer if and when they solve their basic issues but until that time I don't think they will enter the picture.

I don't see any way MLS stops at 32 teams, so if I had to guess, I think San Diego will come into play between 32 and 36.

I think San Diego will become even more important for the specific reason you mentioned.  The rumors continue to grow that MLS and Liga MX are going to eventually merge into one enormous organization with inter league play.

I look at San Diego some what like St. Louis.  They will be a no brainer if and when they solve their basic issues but until that time I don't think they will enter the picture.

I don't see any way MLS stops at 32 teams, so if I had to guess, I think San Diego will come into play between 32 and 36.

I think San Diego will become even more important for the specific reason you mentioned.  The rumors continue to grow that MLS and Liga MX are going to eventually merge into one enormous organization with inter league play.
I would think so.  Plus 40 teams makes pro/reg a possibility....

It is going to be near impossible convincing owners who are spending over a half billion to start a team to accept pro reg, even twenty years from now.
True.  But if all the teams have spent the money and built the stadiums it may make it easier.  I'm not talking about letting in USL or lower division teams who dont have the $$ or the stadiums.  

You are probably right, though.

True.  But if all the teams have spent the money and built the stadiums it may make it easier.  I'm not talking about letting in USL or lower division teams who dont have the $$ or the stadiums.  

You are probably right, though.
I could see something like the following, with still a very very low possibility, maybe being considered after expansion is complete:

Choose a year, say ten years in the future after expansion to 36 is done.  Those ten years will be used to determine relegation for the bottom 50% of the league (combined records over the ten years.)

From that point on, it will be MLS 1 and MLS 2, 18 teams each, with pro and rel.  But teams can never drop out of MLS 2.

Even with these caveats I can't see enough owners willing to risk it.

MLS doing their best to continue the perpetual blue ball feeling the Sacramento fan base has, with their response to the CBS report.

======================

“Contrary to the erroneous report at http://CBSsports.com, Major League Soccer has not finalized an agreement to bring an expansion team to Sacramento.  We remain in advanced discussions with Ron Burkle and Matt Alvarez regarding a team for Sacramento, and we will share more details at the appropriate time."

B Maverick said:

I know. When we got another NYC team in Philly it made no sense to me. 

I know. When we got another NYC team in Philly it made no sense to me. 
Wait, what?

NewlyRetired said:
I could see something like the following, with still a very very low possibility, maybe being considered after expansion is complete:

Choose a year, say ten years in the future after expansion to 36 is done.  Those ten years will be used to determine relegation for the bottom 50% of the league (combined records over the ten years.)

From that point on, it will be MLS 1 and MLS 2, 18 teams each, with pro and rel.  But teams can never drop out of MLS 2.

Even with these caveats I can't see enough owners willing to risk it.
Makes too much sense but you are prob right it won't happen.

Philly is to NYC in terms of distance and culture as Sacramento is to the Bay Area. Maybe going for NCal here?
Oh sure, you east coasters understand there is a difference between Sac and San Jose but don't understand that Southern CA actually extends south of LA.....

And yes NorCal is probably more apt here. Regardless, lets put a team in a city of 500K instead of the 1.4m in SD + fans in Mexico.

Oh sure, you east coasters understand there is a difference between Sac and San Jose but don't understand that Southern CA actually extends south of LA.....

And yes NorCal is probably more apt here. Regardless, lets put a team in a city of 500K instead of the 1.4m in SD + fans in Mexico.
I grew up in the Bay area and dreaded games in Sac.

You SCal people never understand.

But yeah, mls there doesn't seem an intuitive fit. The Kings are still doing great though, right?

It was fun for me?  :shrug:

This is what I talk to my kid about all the time, so maybe it's on my mind?
Oh...wasn't busting balls, just making sure that was the link. Imo, 5v2 or 3v1 at tempo is the best thing around for teaching/learning understanding about quick movement and ball skills. Not used to seeing 1 guy doing all the movement like the link- usually really fluid with the 5 guys all moving. Wonder what the intent was with that? 

Oh...wasn't busting balls, just making sure that was the link. Imo, 5v2 or 3v1 at tempo is the best thing around for teaching/learning understanding about quick movement and ball skills. Not used to seeing 1 guy doing all the movement like the link- usually really fluid with the 5 guys all moving. Wonder what the intent was with that? 
I thought it was great for showing how one guy constantly being available opens everything up. 

I thought it was great for showing how one guy constantly being available opens everything up. 
Ok. But that only means the defenders are letting it happen and not really defending against that guy... Which I guess could support that idea, in only from that one player's perspective.

With the Antonio Brown thing occupying headlines, I found this interesting:

MLS announced Diomande's voluntary decision on Friday and the 29-year-old won't play for LAFC at least until the program's doctors complete their evaluation and he is cleared by program officials.

A league source told ESPN's Jeff Carlisle that Diomande is dealing with a personal situation that is not substance-related. The Los Angeles Times first reported the reason for Diomande entering the program

Went to the Newcastle / Brighton game today. Match was meh, but I did like the stadium and the fans are passionate. Crowd was light as 10k regulars are staying away in protest that they sacked Rafa. He seems to be well liked here, which I can't really understand...

Went to the Newcastle / Brighton game today. Match was meh, but I did like the stadium and the fans are passionate. Crowd was light as 10k regulars are staying away in protest that they sacked Rafa. He seems to be well liked here, which I can't really understand...
I was there, too. 💂‍♀️

I think they just hate Ashley so much that anything that happens will be blamed solely on him, but fans do love Rafa and his departure came at a terrible time. Plus he replacement is just meh. 

Was really fun, though and my first EPL game. Went to the Strawberry across the way beforehand which was crazy town. The reception Carrol got when he came on was cool and afterwards, I got some pics of Joelinton giving his shirt to a kid:

Warning- some pics contain topless Brazilian

Posting from my hotel bar in Dublin now. G/F is napping. Just kind of resting after a whirlwind week and will properly explore the city the next two days.

I got confused...you were both at the same game!

I was there, too. 💂‍♀️

I think they just hate Ashley so much that anything that happens will be blamed solely on him, but fans do love Rafa and his departure came at a terrible time. Plus he replacement is just meh. 

Was really fun, though and my first EPL game. Went to the Strawberry across the way beforehand which was crazy town. The reception Carrol got when he came on was cool and afterwards, I got some pics of Joelinton giving his shirt to a kid:

Warning- some pics contain topless Brazilian

Posting from my hotel bar in Dublin now. G/F is napping. Just kind of resting after a whirlwind week and will properly explore the city the next two days.
Noice. Bummer, we could havemet. I had no idea you were there. I walked past that bar, instead meeting my colleague at Trent House on the Leazes side.

The fans do love Andy Carroll and were shouting for him to come on from like the 35th minute.

Why were you in Newcastle?

Noice. Bummer, we could havemet. I had no idea you were there. I walked past that bar, instead meeting my colleague at Trent House on the Leazes side.

The fans do love Andy Carroll and were shouting for him to come on from like the 35th minute.

Why were you in Newcastle?
G/F had a conference in Glasgow so we made a trip out of it. Met her there, and planned on going to Ireland, too. Then I got hooked on soccer so I decided to see if there were any games in the EPL I could go to, and Newcastle was the only one that kind of fit geographically and decided this is my EPL team now. So, took the train down from Glasgow Friday, flew to Dublin today. 

Users who are viewing this thread