What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (11 Viewers)

I'm reporting from verified sources* that Wenger will take over from Poch soon.

I verify that Im the source and that I made it up. But it's a good dream.

Last edited by a moderator:
Neil Warnock leaves the Cardiff City job by mutual consent.

What's next for Colin %^&*@!?  Arsenal, Bayern or Real Madrid.

El Floppo said:
Semis...

Mex (1-0) vs Netherland (4-1)

Other quarters are today.

Mex keep figuring out how to make their youth advance. With the USs seeming advancement of player pool quality through the academies, it's even more disappointing how badly they're doing when it matters. The players are getting better (at least LCD) and the teams are doing worse.
France spanking Spain 5-1

I'm reporting from verified sources* that Wenger will take over from Poch soon.

I verify that Im the source and that I made it up. But it's a good dream.
I just saw a report that Gerrard will take over at.....

ARSENAL

(caughtoffisde.com is not a good source for anything though)

The never-ending slog that is African football continues this week with the first games of the AFCON 2021 group stage.  CAF does its usual CAFfiness by including  Cameroon in the groups even through they'll qualify automatically as hosts.  AFCON has a history of the finals getting moved so I guess it's smart to cover for that possibility.

The Super Eagles are in Group L with Lesotho, Benin and Sierra Leone.

The never-ending slog that is African football continues this week with the first games of the AFCON 2021 group stage.  CAF does its usual CAFfiness by including  Cameroon in the groups even through they'll qualify automatically as hosts.  AFCON has a history of the finals getting moved so I guess it's smart to cover for that possibility.

The Super Eagles are in Group L with Lesotho, Benin and Sierra Leone.
The talent is so fun to watch in Africa but I would be amiss if I don't say that I really enjoy the inevitable time something so ludicrous happens that you can just close your eyes and see the African brass saying "see if you can top this Concacaf!"

Nice day in the ratings yesterday.

Liverpool Man City drew 1.2m and MLS Cup drew 1.7m viewers.

It is extremely rare that two club games break 1m viewers on the same day.

Don't know if I count, but I DVR'd and watched back both matches Sunday :lookatme:  :hey:
you count :)  (assuming you were in a Nielsen family of course)

All DVR shows that are viewed within the first 24 hours of the show being broadcast are baked into the initial numbers that are released.

An investment group including Spain World Cup winner David Villa has been granted a USL franchise in New York City.

Queensboro FC will begin play in 2021 in the USL Championship, the second division of professional soccer in the United States. It will host its home matches in a new, modular stadium at York College in Queens that will have a capacity of around 7,500. The new team will also play select home matches at Citi Field, home of MLB's New York Mets.

ADVERTISEMENT

"Bringing professional football to Queens' diverse community is an exciting and unique opportunity," Villa said in a statement to ESPN. "The beautiful game already lives here, thanks to the melting pot of cultures who are so passionate about the sport. I can't think of a better place for QBFC to grow. I'm proud to be part of this project."

EDITOR'S PICKS

Sounders' MLS Cup win cements them in Seattle's sporting story

Sounders' MLS Cup triumph reward for team that took its chances

Rumors that the USL was planning to place a team in New York City, as well as Villa's involvement, emerged last summer. Now those plans have come to fruition for the former New York City FC forward and 2016 MLS MVP.

The 37-year-old Villa, who counts Sporting Gijon, Real Zaragoza, Valencia, Barcelona and Atletico Madrid among the clubs he played for, spent the 2019 campaign in Japan with J1 League side Vissel Kobe.

"I'm proud to say I've had a long-running connection to Queens," said Villa. "I lived here for four years while I was developing my football academies, teaching kids not just how to play the sport but to appreciate the game's values, too. Queens is -- and always has been -- special. You feel the passion for football walking the streets.

"It's why we're proud to bring a professional team to this borough. It's the obvious next step following the clinics, summer camps, academies and various other programs for boys and girls we've held in Astoria, Flushing and at Queens College."

The investment group is led by Jonathan Krane, CEO of New York City-based asset management company KraneShares. Krane has previously been involved with the USL. This past season KraneShares was the away jersey sponsor of USL Championship side New Mexico United.

"The opportunity to bring professional soccer to Queens has long been a dream of mine and I can't wait to deliver a USL Championship club that Queens can be proud of," he said. "I'm thrilled to work with David and represent the borough to the fullest as we look forward to kickoff in 2021."

In order to focus on his ownership responsibilities, as well as leading the day-to-day soccer operations, Villa will have retired from professional soccer by the time the team begins playing in 2021. Among his goals is to build an academy for local and international talent to develop.

"We will recruit the best players in Queens as we become the home team," said Villa. "We have a built-in advantage in the number of talented players in the borough. The sporting level in USL is high, which means we have to be demanding in the quality of our athletes. But our goal is to have as many Queens-bred players as possible."

The USL Championship currently has 34 teams, with San Diego set to come on board next season. Oakland East Bay will join alongside QBFC in 2021.

"Announcing a USL Championship club in Queens is a big moment for our league," said USL CEO Alec Papadakis. "When we consider expansion, we're primarily looking for three things: A community who is passionate about soccer, a strong local ownership group, and a pathway towards a soccer-specific stadium. With QBFC, we have all three, and with Jon and David at the helm, we believe this has the potential to be something very special."

Speaking of new teams, does anyone know why the new Louisville NWSL team name is getting so many panties in a bunch?

The new name is Proof Louisville FC, which I assume is a nod to Kentucky's famous bourbon...?

Speaking of new teams, does anyone know why the new Louisville NWSL team name is getting so many panties in a bunch?

The new name is Proof Louisville FC, which I assume is a nod to Kentucky's famous bourbon...?
not sure about everyone else, but I am triggered about a Football Club planing in a Soccer League

Take with a grain of salt but according to Football ITALIA per TUTTOSPORT with the unrest in Napoli Carlo Ancelotti's former Captain Paolo Maldini is looking to bring the former Milan Manager back to the San Siro after Napoli is having a rough time. Some outlets are suggesting if Carlo can't turn Napoli around soon he's facing the Sack 

Now that is a road trip! :)

===============

River Plate has hired buses to take fans to Lima, Peru for the Copa Libertadores final versus Flamengo. The 3900 km journey will take 50 hours, crossing the Andes mountains on the way.
This is the first year the final has been held as a single game in a neutral location, a decision that was made even before last year's Boca Juniors / River Plate debacle in Buenos Aires (in which the first leg was held at La Bombonera (postponed one day due to weather) and the second leg was held at the Bernabeu in Madrid a couple weeks after the Boca team bus was attacked outside the Monumental, causing a delay of several hours, then later, a complete cancellation.)  I think a few of us provided live-posting coverage of those events in this very thread last year.

This year's final was scheduled to take place in Santiago Chile, but that venue was changed due to the current unrest there, so the move to Lima is a somewhat unplanned, on the fly decision.  I believe the final is on FuboTV again, which means I'll once again be looking for an illegal streaming option.

=========

Former Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger is returning to football after he agreed to become Fifa's new chief of global football development.

The move ends speculation linking the Frenchman, 70, with a return to management as Bayern Munich boss.

Wenger left the Gunners in May 2018, after 22 years in charge, three Premier League titles and seven FA Cups.

"I very much look forward to taking on this extremely important challenge," he said.

Wenger's new role at the world governing body will help to develop men's and women's football, as well as technical aspects of the sport.

He will now be a member of the technical panel of the International Football Association Board, and chairman of Fifa's technical study group.

I don't know if this is an official good bye, but it is all Zlatan :)

=========

Zlatan Ibrahimović

I came, I saw, I conquered. Thank you @lagalaxy for making me feel alive again. To the Galaxy fans - you wanted Zlatan, I gave you Zlatan. You are welcome. The story continues...Now go back to watch baseball
It is official.  Sounds like he is not retiring though.  Serie A continues to be the biggest rumor.

Much like @Kafka, to paraphrase, " I spit at everything ESPN does." But ESPN+ is excellent. I watch at least three Italian League matches and one English Championship match per week. Later this week I'll start watching the European Championship quals and catch up on some other stuff as long as it's available for "On Demand" types like me.

Also want to give a shout out to @Jaysus, Leeds Leeds Leeds , is the club I've watched the most from the Championship. My goal is to see a match from each home-ground before the end of the season. It just so happens that Leeds is the visitor for most of my viewings.

:banned:

drunken slob said:
Much like @Kafka, to paraphrase, " I spit at everything ESPN does." But ESPN+ is excellent. I watch at least three Italian League matches and one English Championship match per week. Later this week I'll start watching the European Championship quals and catch up on some other stuff as long as it's available for "On Demand" types like me.

Also want to give a shout out to @Jaysus, Leeds Leeds Leeds , is the club I've watched the most from the Championship. My goal is to see a match from each home-ground before the end of the season. It just so happens that Leeds is the visitor for most of my viewings.

:heart:

drunken slob said:
want to give a shout out to @Jaysus, Leeds Leeds Leeds , is the club I've watched the most from the Championship. My goal is to see a match from each home-ground before the end of the season. It just so happens that Leeds is the visitor for most of my viewings.

I knew this would be a Leeds (Leeds Leeds) post as soon as I got the alert I was tagged!

WGUAFC!

Can Montreal get Aguedelo just for nostalgia’s sake?  I miss Henry looking at him like he’d just violated a corpse with the wrong salad fork every time he misplaced a pass. 
In a way this was actually a compliment to Agudelo.   Henry ignored most of his teammates but absolutely got lit by the ones who he felt were not getting the most out of their talent.  That has always been the definition of Agudelo.

Yet another of the many players between Jozy and Sargent to not come good at striker for the US.

Can Montreal get Aguedelo just for nostalgia’s sake?  I miss Henry looking at him like he’d just violated a corpse with the wrong salad fork every time he misplaced a pass. 
In a way this was actually a compliment to Agudelo.   Henry ignored most of his teammates but absolutely got lit by the ones who he felt were not getting the most out of their talent.  That has always been the definition of Agudelo.

Yet another of the many players between Jozy and Sargent to not come good at striker for the US
Poor beta swag always made the wrong choice- pass, dribble, run, no run... It was fantastic to watch.

Nice move by Sterling:

Raheem Sterling@sterling7

To all the @England fans, I wanted to leave things at it was but tonight I have to speak again : it was hard for me to see my team mate get booed for something that was my fault. Joe hasn’t done anything wrong & for me to see someone who keeps his head down and work hard..

especially after a difficult week for him to be booed when he came on tonight was wrong. I’ve taken full responsibility and accepted the consequence. I felt as though I had to say this get home safe every one #Euro2020

Nice move by Sterling:

Raheem Sterling@sterling7

To all the @England fans, I wanted to leave things at it was but tonight I have to speak again : it was hard for me to see my team mate get booed for something that was my fault. Joe hasn’t done anything wrong & for me to see someone who keeps his head down and work hard..

especially after a difficult week for him to be booed when he came on tonight was wrong. I’ve taken full responsibility and accepted the consequence. I felt as though I had to say this get home safe every one #Euro2020
To be fair to the fans...England needed Sterling out there to push for double digits- they were robbed of that.

I would love to see Phoenix's dollar beer night make it to MLS :)

=======

@GrantWahl

MLS expansion update: Don Garber says Charlotte "has done a lot of work to move their bid to the front of the line" to become MLS's 30th team. Competing with Las Vegas and Phoenix right now. Announcement could come in the next couple months
Rumors are increasing here in Charlotte.  Surprising it is moving so quickly without a successful local team or really any movement by the public.  The county will give $100mm to whatever they are doing stadium wise.  

Users who are viewing this thread