Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Ramsay Hunt Experience

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread***

I guess I should be thankful for Sullen Poch - he has prepared me for the Special One.

20 minutes ago, encaitar said:

Jose with the Spurs....  Wow.  That's gotta sting Chelsea fans more than his experiment with ManU!

I think it'll work, for at least the next two seasons.  He's a big enough NAME to get the team to buy in and his defensive structure will improve Tottenham's back line immensely.  Of course, given Mourinho's history, it will all come to a flaming end in 3-4 years.

I think it’s a great move for Spurs. It puts to a screeching halt the exodus that would have happened if a crappy coach came in, and he can conceivably get this team back into the top 4 and competing for the FA cup and the CL.

Mourinho is a great motivator in the short term and I think he will get them a trophy or two in the 2-3 years he stays.

And while his exits are always messy, I suspect he will leave them in a much better spot than they would be in if they hired Big Sam or Eddie Howe (scenarios that would see players flocking to leave)

In short, Mourinho maintains their club reputation, and potentially enhances it.

Edited by shader
  • Like 2

Quite off-topic from the big news of the day, but we probably need an MLS thread and a "everything else" thread.

I finally have a hometown soccer team! I mean I guess I already did, but I'm a bit of a soccer snob.  Anyways, Nashville had their expansion draft today.

As someone who knows very little about MLS, anyone have any thoughts?

1. Abu Danladi

Forward — Age: 24 — Drafted from Minnesota United

A dynamic, exciting forward who in three seasons with Minnesota has shown the flashes of talent that made him the No. 1 pick in the 2017 SuperDraft. Due to injury and competition at the forward spot, he made only 24 starts in three seasons for the Loons (11 goals and 6 assists) and the Ghanaian will be looking forward to a fresh start. 

2. Zarek Valentin*

Right back / left back — Age: 28 — Drafted from Portland Timbers

A versatile fullback who brings speed, grit and experience to the position. He has played at both left back and right back in four seasons with the Timbers. 

*Nashville traded Valentin to the Houston Dynamo, along with $75k in 2021 Targeted Allocation Money in exchange for veteran goalkeeper Joe Willis.

3. Jalil Anibaba

Center back / right back — Age: 31 — Drafted from New England Revolution

Veteran and versatile defender who has the pace to keep up with the top forwards in MLS. Whether he starts or comes off the bench, Anibaba will play valuable minutes and bring experience to the Nashville locker room.

4. Brandon Vazquez*

Forward — Age: 21 — Drafted from Atlanta United

A US youth national teamer with a unique combination of speed, size and power, Vazquez was a reserve forward for Atlanta United who found it tough to break through ahead of star striker Josef Martinez.  

* Nashville traded Vazquez to FC Cincinnati in exchange for allocation money: $150k in 2020 Targeted Allocation Money and $50k in 2021 General Allocation Money.

5. Jimmy Medranda

Left back / midfielder — Age: 25 — Drafted from Sporting Kansas City

Called a Swiss army knife by Nashville GM Mike Jacobs, the talented Colombian has shown with Sporting Kansas City that he can play left back, left midfielder and central midfield. When injury-free and in top form, he has the speed, skill and power to be a starting-caliber player in MLS. 

25 minutes ago, shader said:

Quite off-topic from the big news of the day, but we probably need an MLS thread and a "everything else" thread.

I finally have a hometown soccer team! I mean I guess I already did, but I'm a bit of a soccer snob.  Anyways, Nashville had their expansion draft today.

As someone who knows very little about MLS, anyone have any thoughts?

1. Abu Danladi

Forward — Age: 24 — Drafted from Minnesota United

A dynamic, exciting forward who in three seasons with Minnesota has shown the flashes of talent that made him the No. 1 pick in the 2017 SuperDraft. Due to injury and competition at the forward spot, he made only 24 starts in three seasons for the Loons (11 goals and 6 assists) and the Ghanaian will be looking forward to a fresh start. 

2. Zarek Valentin*

Right back / left back — Age: 28 — Drafted from Portland Timbers

A versatile fullback who brings speed, grit and experience to the position. He has played at both left back and right back in four seasons with the Timbers. 

*Nashville traded Valentin to the Houston Dynamo, along with $75k in 2021 Targeted Allocation Money in exchange for veteran goalkeeper Joe Willis.

3. Jalil Anibaba

Center back / right back — Age: 31 — Drafted from New England Revolution

Veteran and versatile defender who has the pace to keep up with the top forwards in MLS. Whether he starts or comes off the bench, Anibaba will play valuable minutes and bring experience to the Nashville locker room.

4. Brandon Vazquez*

Forward — Age: 21 — Drafted from Atlanta United

A US youth national teamer with a unique combination of speed, size and power, Vazquez was a reserve forward for Atlanta United who found it tough to break through ahead of star striker Josef Martinez.  

* Nashville traded Vazquez to FC Cincinnati in exchange for allocation money: $150k in 2020 Targeted Allocation Money and $50k in 2021 General Allocation Money.

5. Jimmy Medranda

Left back / midfielder — Age: 25 — Drafted from Sporting Kansas City

Called a Swiss army knife by Nashville GM Mike Jacobs, the talented Colombian has shown with Sporting Kansas City that he can play left back, left midfielder and central midfield. When injury-free and in top form, he has the speed, skill and power to be a starting-caliber player in MLS. 

I mentioned this in the other thread, but expansion drafts are almost meaningless today.  If you get one player who makes the top 16 players, you will likely be happy.  Vazquez was by far the most interesting player drafted but he was obviously drafted for Cincy.

1 minute ago, NewlyRetired said:

I mentioned this in the other thread, but expansion drafts are almost meaningless today.  If you get one player who makes the top 16 players, you will likely be happy.  Vazquez was by far the most interesting player drafted but he was obviously drafted for Cincy.

Blogs on Nashville SC are few and far between.  The only thing I can find is the sub-reddit, and there are 9 comments on the draft.  So I appreciate the feedback!

3 minutes ago, shader said:

Blogs on Nashville SC are few and far between.  The only thing I can find is the sub-reddit, and there are 9 comments on the draft.  So I appreciate the feedback!

to be honest, you are not going to get a lot of comments.  These are players other teams did not want and did not think were good enough to protect.   I don't even know why MLS keeps this thing around but I guess is is a way to try and help the new teams fill out their 28-30 man rosters.

1 hour ago, Sinn Fein said:

Gards@Gards44 ·16m

Jose mourinho is a done deal #THFC

This is a guy who knows things

This is fantastic news. English football is better with Jose. 

1 minute ago, FreeBaGeL said:

Any chance that Eriksen reconsiders leaving now?

I hope not.  #### him.  %^&*@!

Seriously - he's been a passenger all season - he can leave, the sooner the better for me.

• Like 1

Yeah eriksen has totally mailed it in. Doesn't even try when they throw him out there. 

• Like 1

Be interesting to see how much Spurs are willing to spend on players next summer after paying for both Poch and Mourinho. 

• Thinking 1

36 minutes ago, JaxBill said:

Be interesting to see how much Spurs are willing to spend on players next summer after paying for both Poch and Mourinho. 

$0.00

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, shader said:

I think it’s a great move for Spurs. It puts to a screeching halt the exodus that would have happened if a crappy coach came in, and he can conceivably get this team back into the top 4 and competing for the FA cup and the CL.

Mourinho is a great motivator in the short term and I think he will get them a trophy or two in the 2-3 years he stays.

And while his exits are always messy, I suspect he will leave them in a much better spot than they would be in if they hired Big Sam or Eddie Howe (scenarios that would see players flocking to leave)

In short, Mourinho maintains their club reputation, and potentially enhances it.

That's a nice narrative. Not sure if it holds up for Jose any more, as it seems more recently he's had no problem throwing players under the bus while playing mind games with the rest. But I do think his typical tactics might work for spurs..at least to get them out of the mid/bottom and pushing towards europe

2 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

$0.00

How much is that in euros?

5 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

That's a nice narrative. Not sure if it holds up for Jose any more, as it seems more recently he's had no problem throwing players under the bus while playing mind games with the rest. But I do think his typical tactics might work for spurs..at least to get them out of the mid/bottom and pushing towards europe

There is almost certainly going to be, at worst, a dead cat bounce effect here.   It almost always happens in situations like these.   What that means for next season is not clear though as it does not always last.

He may be an #######, but he us our ####### now. 

• Laughing 1

11 hours ago, Sinn Fein said:

Gards@Gards44 ·16m

Jose mourinho is a done deal #THFC

If I were a #### I’d go bump all your Jose posts from the last 5 years*

*I am a #### but I’m also lazy so all you get is this

:lmao: :lmao::lmao: :lmao::lmao: :lmao::lmao: :lmao::lmao: :lmao::lmao: :lmao::lmao: :lmao::lmao: :lmao::lmao: :lmao::lmao: :lmao::lmao: :lmao::lmao: :lmao::lmao: :lmao::lmao: :lmao::lmao: :lmao::lmao: :lmao::lmao: :lmao::lmao: :lmao::lmao: :lmao::lmao: :lmao::lmao: :lmao::lmao::lmao: :lmao::lmao: :lmao::lmao: :lmao::lmao: :lmao::lmao::lmao: :lmao::lmao: :lmao::lmao: :lmao::lmao: :lmao::lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao::lmao: :lmao::lmao: :lmao::lmao: :lmao::lmao: :lmao::lmao: :lmao::lmao: 

ENJOY THE BUS 

Edited by AAABatteries
  • Like 1
  • Laughing 2

1 minute ago, Sinn Fein said:

He may be an #######, but he us our ####### now. 

Christmas came early - I may even be ok with Pool winning the league now

1 minute ago, Sinn Fein said:

See post above 

Also, I may be lazy but don’t think for a second I won’t be trolling you with your own posts later this season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, AAABatteries said:

Also, I may be lazy but don’t think for a second I won’t be trolling you with your own posts later this season.

Fair enough. I have posted some not-completely-snarky comments about Jose. I like his feistiness. 

but I am still gutted for Poch. This should have been handled better by Spurs. 

• Like 1

Nightmare scenario for me is United sacking Ole, and signing Poch for free with a deep transfer budget. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AAABatteries said:

:lmao: 

I do like that you probably searched "bus" to find comments about Mourinho...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

Fair enough. I have posted some not-completely-snarky comments about Jose. I like his feistiness. 

but I am still gutted for Poch. This should have been handled better by Spurs. 

It’s disingenuous of anyone to think that TSO wasn’t an incredible manager.  And he has something to prove, IMO.  I have several posts in here saying I wanted Jose after SAF retired but when they didn’t go that route I preferred they went with someone like Pooch.  If United finish out of Europe it may be too tempting to not ditch Ole and go for Pooch - which I would be in favor of.

9 hours ago, El Floppo said:

How much is that in euros?

Pre-Brexit - €0.00

Post-Brexit - €90,000,000

I do like that you probably searched "bus" to find comments about Mourinho...

Jose + bus returns 19 pages :lmao: 

• Like 1
  • Laughing 2

1 minute ago, AAABatteries said:

It’s disingenuous of anyone to think that TSO wasn’t an incredible manager.  And he has something to prove, IMO.  I have several posts in here saying I wanted Jose after SAF retired but when they didn’t go that route I preferred they went with someone like Pooch.  If United finish out of Europe it may be too tempting to not ditch Ole and go for Pooch - which I would be in favor of.

Time will tell.  But, he spent a fair bit of money at both Chelsea (2x) and United.  And, I am not completely sold that the game has not passed him by.  His style of play tended to be very stout defensively - while top teams now seem to be more expansive going forward.

I am already disappointed in his first "priority" - which is securing Erkisen for the future.  I'd cut Eriksen loose in January if I could.

But, I support the team, not the manager, so I will support Spurs with Jose - and I will learn to love his dull style of play.

:lmao:

One of Mourinho's new back room staff is João Sacramento

Grant Wahl@GrantWahl ·9m

João Sacramento sounds like a name Mourinho would use for his Twitter burner account...

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

Time will tell.  But, he spent a fair bit of money at both Chelsea (2x) and United.  And, I am not completely sold that the game has not passed him by.  His style of play tended to be very stout defensively - while top teams now seem to be more expansive going forward.

I am already disappointed in his first "priority" - which is securing Erkisen for the future.  I'd cut Eriksen loose in January if I could.

But, I support the team, not the manager, so I will support Spurs with Jose - and I will learn to love his dull style of play.

That why I said “wasn’t” - I don’t like the hire at all for your guys.  

United may have to act quick...Poch to Bayern rumors already fired up...

22 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

Fwiw, Jose got sneijder playing his best soccer...somehow. so maybe there's hope for Ericsen. But I'll admit- outside a moment here and there, he's been flat out awful, especially considering the links and desire to leave for a bigger club like RM.

Hard to pass up either of those jobs if offered.  He could win immediately at Bayern.  United would be a project and would be a good fit for him, IMO.  Except we have Ole.  Stupid Spurs couldn’t have done this a year ago?

4 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

Lol...poor poch. Has to choose between some teams with even tighter purse strings.

Oh.

Wait

Opposite.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Lol...poor poch. Has to choose between some teams with even tighter purse strings.

Oh.

Wait

Opposite.

Pochettino has been playing the underfunded underdog card for 5 years, even while managing one of the biggest clubs in the world.  I'm pretty curious to see how he reacts if/when that particular excuse is taken away from him.  I understand why everyone loves the guy, but I don't think Bayern want a coach who's best accomplishment is making a silk purse from a sow's ear. 

I know some will say its not fair, but the fact remains this is his trophy case from 5 years at Spurs:

Football League Cup runner-up: 2014–15

UEFA Champions League runner-up: 2018–19

7 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Oh.

Wait

Opposite.

Oh, and he pockets £12M in the process...

I don't like the way this all went down, but Poch has wanted out for a while now, and so this gets him what he wants.  I think he needs a few months to rejuvenate, but he should be fine to take a new job with Bayern over the winter break, or wait until next summer for a different opportunity to open up.

I am disappointed in many of the players - aside from Eriksen - who I think have let Poch and themselves down.  But, I would also caution - Spurs are not quite as good as many assume.  The back line is a mess.  I think Jose will help there, as he probably won't push the high line which exposed the older legs of Alderweireld and Vertonghen.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

Pochettino has been playing the underfunded underdog card for 5 years, even while managing one of the biggest clubs in the world.  I'm pretty curious to see how he reacts if/when that particular excuse is taken away from him.  I understand why everyone loves the guy, but I don't think Bayern want a coach who's best accomplishment is making a silk purse from a sow's ear. 

I know some will say its not fair, but the fact remains this is his trophy case from 5 years at Spurs:

Its not fair.  Until last season Klopp never won a trophy with Liverpool in the same era - despite vastly outspending Spurs over the same stretch. 

Spurs are big in Revenue - less big in signing players...(Spurs troubles began 2 summers ago by not signing anyone - clubs need to refresh every year at least a player or 2 to come in and compete for a spot)

Signing Mourinho is a good sign of Levy's ambitions - but lets see if Spurs sign anyone this January, and next summer.

Its not fair.  Until last season Klopp never won a trophy with Liverpool in the same era - despite vastly outspending Spurs over the same stretch. 

Spurs are big in Revenue - less big in signing players...(Spurs troubles began 2 summers ago by not signing anyone - clubs need to refresh every year at least a player or 2 to come in and compete for a spot)

Signing Mourinho is a good sign of Levy's ambitions - but lets see if Spurs sign anyone this January, and next summer.

Spurs have spent and signed some guys though, right? The argentine- saw him play recently...is he finally healthy? Should help some. Backline definitely needs help as you said, and that's Jose's forte, so it might be a good short term thing. He also works well with Son types of heart/hustle/skills guys.

6 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

I  think we're all well-aware of the background, mostly because its been the constant Poch mantra for years now.  My point is just that, as I imagine the stuffy, arrogant, old guard at Bayern Munich, sitting in their spotless offices at Allianz with little cups of espresso in front of them, I can't imagine them looking at this guy and ignoring the fact that he's not won anything.  I won't be shocked if they hire him, but he will be under tremendous pressure there, and won't have his familiar crutch to lean on.

1 minute ago, El Floppo said:

Spurs have spent and signed some guys though, right? The argentine- saw him play recently...is he finally healthy? Should help some. Backline definitely needs help as you said, and that's Jose's forte, so it might be a good short term thing. He also works well with Son types of heart/hustle/skills guys.

Yes/no

I lot depends on how Jose lines up.  Ostensibly Lo Celso was an Eriksen replacement.

Gazzaniga 

Aurier  Toby Jan Rose(?)

Dier Ndombele

Lo Celso Eriksen Son

Kane

This would put Dele, Winks, Lucas on the bench along with Sissoko and Lamela

I think Dele would be in the mix to play behind Kane, so that may leave just one spot for Eriksen/Lo Celso

Sessegnon is another player Spurs signed - but nobody is really sure for what position.  He played LB a few years ago, but had been playing on the Left Wing for Fulham.  He is probably an ideal Wing Back - but I don't think Jose will use him there.  His age and inexperience will probably cut against him too.

Juan Foyth has been starting at RB for Argentina, but he is not a classic RB looking player - he looks more like a CB playing RB.  So it will be interesting to see where Mourinho sees him.  Sanchez is the CB of the future - and probably the best defender Spurs have - but I am thinking Jose sticks with the veterans at least for the short-term.

10 hours ago, El Floppo said:

I agree it’s an optimistic narrative, but he’s had 11 months off and he’s walking into a team that ostensibly doesn’t need a rebuild, just needs to be remotivated. There’s a chance it could work really well, although Europa might well be the best-case scenario for the league.

Dont count them out of getting to another CL final though...

This is great news. Can't wait for the TSO jokes the next three two years.

How many more times does Poch need to get fired before we can bring him back to the south coast?

Things are looking up already:

Christian Eriksen has decided to leave Tottenham Hotspur in January with it now 'extremely unlikely' that new manager Jose Mourinho will be able to persuade him to stay at the club.[BT Denmark]

We're getting a fully-customized Bus!!!

Jose Mourinho has spent his time away from football ‘developing a new strategy and philosophy’ which left Tottenham Hotspur chairman Daniel Levy ‘blown away’ during negotiations. [The Independent]

• Laughing 2

8 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

We're getting a fully-customized Bus!!!

Jose Mourinho has spent his time away from football ‘developing a new strategy and philosophy’ which left Tottenham Hotspur chairman Daniel Levy ‘blown away’ during negotiations. [The Independent]

:thumbup: for the profile pic!

• Thanks 1