What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (5 Viewers)

Saturday? Def poss
Feb 22... Chelsea/Spurs. I think every game is scheduled at 7am that far in advance.

My only other concrete plans for the weekend is a concert that night.

P.S. hi Mex!

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 22... Chelsea/Spurs. I think every game is scheduled at 7am that far in advance.

P.S. hi Mex!
oh, that works much better for me gb as I think I'm going to be hurting this Saturday.

@rustycolts

I think this is the first step to him being named the new Orlando coach

=================================

OFFICIAL: Oscar Pareja, in agreement with the director of the Xolos of Tijuana, ceases to be the coach of the team.
[Carlisle] Can confirm what has been expected for some time...Oscar Pareja has signed a contract with #OCSC to be their next manager. Announcement expected later this AM.

Well OCSC got there coach. Oscar Pareja. I know he coached Dallas and was pretty successful. What can we expect from him?
It is a good signing. 

He did very well in Dallas on a much smaller budget than he will have in Orlando.   The key in Orlando is whether they will let him spend how he wants or if they have to continue the practice of huge money being funneled into a single older player like Kaku or Nani.

His strength is the youth setup.  It was under him that Dallas developed what is considered the best academy in the country.  Florida should be loaded with good young players, so hopefully he can have an effect in that area as well, but that is more of a "future" than a "present" benefit.

El Floppo said:
Go to the sf Italian athletic club in North Beach and just start ringing the bell. Tell them floppo who used to play for them sent you, but pronounce it "woppo" for extra surprise. 
Racist.

P.S. hi Mex!
That's pretty far out for AM boozing plans, we'll see if I live that long!

Hoping Jose beats Ole, who replaced Jose, and that Ole is sacked and replaced by Poch, who Jose replaced.
Rashford ruined this.  United looked like a different team - they could contend for top-4 if they played like that every week.  I’m not sure if that’s an indictment of Ole or the players or both.

Rashford ruined this.  United looked like a different team - they could contend for top-4 if they played like that every week.  I’m not sure if that’s an indictment of Ole or the players or both.
Sissoko ruined it.  Stupid pen.

I like what Jose has done, generally, but he did not set up well tonight.  Winks/Sissoko in the double pivot has been a disaster all year long.  This is the first match Jose went with it, and the first match Jose lost.  Coincidence?  I think not.

An example of how ingrained racism is in Italy. :hifive:  @Kafka (as the resident racist, I should know) and gl in tomorrow's game. Hoping inter pull it off obviously, as much to keep pressure on juve from running away with the league again.

Inter Milan and Roma have condemned Thursday's front page of Italian newspaper Il Corriere dello Sport.

The newspaper's front page previewed Inter's Friday night clash with Roma with a photo of both Romelu Lukaku and Chris Smalling above the headline: "Black Friday."

El Floppo said:
An example of how ingrained racism is in Italy. :hifive:  @Kafka (as the resident racist, I should know) and gl in tomorrow's game. Hoping inter pull it off obviously, as much to keep pressure on juve from running away with the league again.
It's absolutely terrible...they actually responded with a defense of it.  Horrid.

Forza Roma...

...gb  :hifive:

AAABatteries said:
4-0 Chelsea
1-1 Arsenal
1-1 Liverpool
2-1 Chelsea (cup)
2-1 Tottenham

They show for the "top" teams but not for the supposed "bottom" teams, the ones they should beat.  Focus and Motivation.  Partly the players, partly the coach.

The biggest thing to me about yesterday was McTominay.  They missed him badly.  Not only is he very good, but Fred pays much better when McT is there.  So much so that Pogba needs to move to the 10 and let McT and Fred play behind him. 

Gives me some hope that their starting lineup, if it plays like this and adds Pogba (which subtracts pereria, lingard and mata so its doubly good) and a left back, they can compete.  Depth and competition for spots comes next.

How serious are things at Everton?  I just noticed they are now a bottom 3 team.  They have not been out of the top division in England since the 1953/1954 season.

I see that they sacked the coach today...

The Charlotte mayor has tried to downplay this rumor but there seems to be significant legs to this happening sooner rather than later

=================

Joe Bruno

@JoeBrunoWSOC9

BREAKING: MLS will announce Charlotte as the 30th team on December 17 in CLT, a source tells @AllisonWSOC9

:popcorn:

=========

A report from Argentina's TNT Sports claims Inter Miami are willing to pay $23 million, which would shatter the MLS record for a transfer fee. Atlanta United have paid the two highest transfer fees in MLS history, with Ezequiel Barco costing a reported $15 million two years ago and Pity Martinez – another River Plate star – heading north for a reported $14 million last off season. In contrast, Bayer Leverkusen's bid is said to be $18 million.

Palacios, 21, is one of the stars of the River Plate team that has gone to back-to-back Copa Libertadores finals the last two years, winning the continent's top club title in 2018.

Chelsea transfer ban lifted... They're back in transfer business in January.

Time to start sky is falling about CP again, boys 

Chelsea transfer ban lifted... They're back in transfer business in January.

Time to start sky is falling about CP again, boys 
The way things have gone at Chelsea, bringing in a winger like Sancho is more a threat to Hudson-Odom and Mount than it is to Pulisic. 

This is part of the problem with VAR's application on offside.  Supposedly linesman are supposed to let that play out and let VAR rule on it if the goal is scored.  Some do and some dont.  He didnt.  To make it worse, they then go and draw lines on the field to see if a toe or heal or armpit is off.  There is absolutely no way a linesman can see a toe off and that should be even which is on.  Trying to make VAR the ref and get too exact on offside calls.  Asinine.

And physically can you score with your armpit and not have it hit your arm for a handball?

The Euro Super league is back in the news.  This time it is the Real Madrid president who is working together with Infantino to gain support among-st the big clubs.  The article I read said talks are progressing and many teams are interested.

Here is the general proposal (and some supposition on my part)

* 40 teams will leave their domestic leagues forever

* All 40 teams will come from 5 countries.  Germany, France, England, Italy and Spain.  The article did not state it will be exactly 8 from each.

* The 40 teams will comprise a closed league.   Once you are in, you are in for life (the United States model)

* The 40 teams will be broken up into two 20 team leagues, and the two leagues will have promotion and relegation between them

* My supposition is that these teams will leave UEFA, as there is no way UEFA would ever approve this as it will effectively kill The Champions League.  If they can get FIFA's backing, they can make the move.

* Infantino is very hungry to create a true world club cup.  That only works with the top Euro teams involved.  My supposition is that FIFA will trade their approval for the new Super League if the Super League pledges their support for a new global World Club Cup

* The Real Madrid president has told interested teams that they can expect to at least double their current revenue.

* My final supposition is that UEFA's only move here is to increase the number of Champions League spots and pay outs to the big 5 countries.  Other than that they will have to hope that the domestic fans make such a stink about how this could destroy their local leagues that they force teams to reject it.

:(

==================

Yahoo Soccer

The Italian newspaper that ran the "Black Friday" headline with pictures of Roma's Chris Smalling and Inter Milan's Romelu Lukaku has doubled down, calling the backlash a "lynching." Seriously. That's what they did.

How serious are things at Everton?  I just noticed they are now a bottom 3 team.  They have not been out of the top division in England since the 1953/1954 season.

I see that they sacked the coach today...
Too good to not share:

Belfast Kop

Yesterday at 9:00 AM · 

Dear Everton Fans,

I have been a Liverpool supporter since I drew my first breath and I have been following my team home and abroad for 46 years now.

I have been involved in plenty of banter with your side of the Park and there have been some great days for both clubs during this period.

We have shared some momentous occasions and who could forget the day the whole of Wembley sung “ Merseyside “

We have also both shared the most enormous of grief together and I have never been so proud of the city as when we stood together proudly through those dark days.

The fortunes of both clubs are on different ends of the scale at the moment and I was disappointed to see you drop into the bottom 3. After the game I was appalled to hear fellow Liverpool Fans saying “ Imagine if we win the league and Everton go down on the same day.

I would hate this to happen because I genuinely hope and pray that these two things happen on separate days so we can have TWO
massive Parties you Bitter Bluenose Bastards !!!!!

JC

:(

==================

Yahoo Soccer

The Italian newspaper that ran the "Black Friday" headline with pictures of Roma's Chris Smalling and Inter Milan's Romelu Lukaku has doubled down, calling the backlash a "lynching." Seriously. That's what they did.
Oof

A long way to go over there.

Wow...

========

Sky Sports News

@SkySportsNews

Russia have been banned from all major sporting events for the next four years, the World Anti-Doping Agency has confirmed

Watched the derby in the english pub thats predominately a United bar, but there were a good amount of city fans there.  Great atmosphere.  Oddest sight was a guy wearing a liverpool jersey (VVD) cheering the United goals.  The football world has gone mad.

Also had to laugh with the city fans near me when lingard had a shot on goal.  No one was worried about him scoring there.

The Concacaf Champions League knock out round pairings are set.

Leon and LAFC have to be saying WTF when looking at all the other match ups....

I kid.

Any covered fields to your knowledge?
No, but Kraft was explaining yesterday during the unveiling that they have built heated technology into all three of the fields to extend their use up here in NE.  I have no idea how well they will work but I assume that cost a ton of money to do.

No, but Kraft was explaining yesterday during the unveiling that they have built heated technology into all three of the fields to extend their use up here in NE.  I have no idea how well they will work but I assume that cost a ton of money to do.
Huh. I'd think a bubble over one would have been easy and cheap enough. 

Users who are viewing this thread