What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (4 Viewers)

Big signing for KC.  I think this (~$10m fee)is by far the most they have spent on a player ever

=======

@TaylorTwellman

Pulido on his way to.....@SportingKC

Huge statement from the ownership in putting some serious money into this acquisition while Vermes and fans get their goal scorer

Last edited by a moderator:
My favorite goal from yesterday: https://streamja.com/p4oj
Leeds like like they're all but up already.

Probably due to a quirk of when I started watching I feel like Leeds, Villa, West Ham, Everton, Leicester, Newcastle and Tottenham should always be in the PL (along with the big clubs).  2020 might be the first year in a long time with all of them up (if Everton, Villa and West Ham can avoid the drop).

Leeds like like they're all but up already.

Probably due to a quirk of when I started watching I feel like Leeds, Villa, West Ham, Everton, Leicester, Newcastle and Tottenham should always be in the PL (along with the big clubs).  2020 might be the first year in a long time with all of them up (if Everton, Villa and West Ham can avoid the drop).
Wait, I thought Tottenham was a big club??  :lmao:

First English game I saw in person was a Leeds vs Arsenal preseason match in 92.  Boring 1-1 draw if I remember.  Next day I saw United play Lillistrom and became a United fan.

Will be nice to see Leeds back in the top flight again though.

Liverpool reportedly poaching Minamino from Salzburg for ~$10MM.  True front-foot attacking midfielder who scores goals and works hard on defense.  The transfer fee is a release clause and neutral valuations suggest it's a bargain.

Keita and Mane played for Salzburg previously too.  Southampton on the Danube.

A legit attacking #10 is a perfect pick up for Liverpool.  Adds something to the midfield they haven't had since Couthino left.  Not sure if he can play the #9 behind Firmino or not, but gives them the opportunity to truly mix and match the midfield to fit the game.  Fab (6), Milner (8--), Henderson (:shades:, Wijnaldum (8), Ox (8+), Keita (8++), Minamino (10).

Here are the names Charlotte has trade marked for their (soon to be announced) MLS team

https://twitter.com/ByNeilMorris/status/1204781291100610560?s=20
It is a pretty awful list actually.  The Charlotte Town isn't great because too many people already confuse Charlotte with similar sounding cities like Charlottesville and Charleston. 

A lot of people wanted something with the city's nickname (Queen City) brought in, but I think Cincinnati uses the same.  Royal/Real Charlotte would be good with that theme.  I'm partial to something like Queen City Rangers. 

I voted for Charlotte Athletic FC from that list on a local supporters page.  I also joined said supporter group yesterday.  Very exciting times...the announcement is expected next Tuesday as an event has been scheduled outside the stadium.  City has already agreed to give $110mm to Tepper along with some vacant land in east Charlotte for the HQ/practice facilities.  I think the new stadium push will come later.

It is a pretty awful list actually.  The Charlotte Town isn't great because too many people already confuse Charlotte with similar sounding cities like Charlottesville and Charleston. 

A lot of people wanted something with the city's nickname (Queen City) brought in, but I think Cincinnati uses the same.  Royal/Real Charlotte would be good with that theme.  I'm partial to something like Queen City Rangers. 

I voted for Charlotte Athletic FC from that list on a local supporters page.  I also joined said supporter group yesterday.  Very exciting times...the announcement is expected next Tuesday as an event has been scheduled outside the stadium.  City has already agreed to give $110mm to Tepper along with some vacant land in east Charlotte for the HQ/practice facilities.  I think the new stadium push will come later.
I'm so stoked. I was probably in the first 50 memberships for MCC and have been rocking my tshirt for a while. Might walk down for the announcement on Tuesday.

Naming wise, I'm not sure the final name necessarily *has* to come from that list.

My favorites, from that list and another I've heard:

Charlotte Town FC [For people who don't know, Charlotte was originally named Charlotte Town]

Charlotte Crown FC

Charlotte Athletic FC

Queen Charlotte FC [not on the list but I think it's perfect given the history and name]

I'm so stoked. I was probably in the first 50 memberships for MCC and have been rocking my tshirt for a while. Might walk down for the announcement on Tuesday.
Nice.  I'm hoping mine gets here before Tuesday, but I'm definitely planning to walk over.

If they are joining MLS and name them selves anything with an FC in it, they are :bye:
Charlotte SC is a bad name for obvious reasons.  North Carolina SC may be good just for the lulz.

Little known factoid -- Baltimore is known as the "Queen City of the Patapsco Drainage Basin."

I would not be shocked if the $110m from the Charlotte government comes with some stipulation that Charlotte will be in the name of the team.

How is Bank of America stadium for soccer?  Will the corners be wide enough or do they have to make some modifications?  The side lines look plenty wide but it seems to taper in hard at all 4 corners.

How is Bank of America stadium for soccer?  Will the corners be wide enough or do they have to make some modifications?  The side lines look plenty wide but it seems to taper in hard at all 4 corners.
The length is a little tight, but no issues in the corners during ICC or Gold Cup play.  Here is a photo I took at the Gold Cup.

The real issue is going to be the heat with all of the MLS games played during the summer.  Very little of the stadium is in shade.  At the minimum, I would see a Miami like renovation.  More likely they build a dome across the street and sell the current property for a boatload.

The length is a little tight, but no issues in the corners during ICC or Gold Cup play.  Here is a photo I took at the Gold Cup.

The real issue is going to be the heat with all of the MLS games played during the summer.  Very little of the stadium is in shade.  At the minimum, I would see a Miami like renovation.  More likely they build a dome across the street and sell the current property for a boatload.
MLS games in the summer are brutal in most of the country.  The best you can hope for is that your team schedules as many night games as possible in the hottest 3 months.

Forgot to add this little tidbit... Was one of the trainers for a soccer camp just before Thanksgiving.  The final day they do a big "World Cup" Tournament, splitting the kids up into countries and playing.  For the finals they had the two teams march onto the field and the head trainer was playing the Champions League music over the loud speaker.  

I was poking a little fun at him for playing the CL music for a world cup.. He laughs and says "I walked into my wedding to this!"

:doh:  Why didn't I think of doing that?!?!?!?!

Liverpool reportedly poaching Minamino from Salzburg for ~$10MM.  True front-foot attacking midfielder who scores goals and works hard on defense.  The transfer fee is a release clause and neutral valuations suggest it's a bargain.

Keita and Mane played for Salzburg previously too.  Southampton on the Danube.

A legit attacking #10 is a perfect pick up for Liverpool.  Adds something to the midfield they haven't had since Couthino left.  Not sure if he can play the #9 behind Firmino or not, but gives them the opportunity to truly mix and match the midfield to fit the game.  Fab (6), Milner (8--), Henderson (:shades:, Wijnaldum (8), Ox (8+), Keita (8++), Minamino (10).
This is a nice piece of business, especially for the reported £7.25 million. He is still very raw, and has a lot to learn positionally, especially defensively, but this gives him an extra 6 months or so to be ready for 20/21.

ETA: It also provides extra coverage and a chance to save some legs for the 4-2-3-1.

Looks like Charlotte Town may be the pick

==================

[Thomas] As you may have seen, an LLC operated by David Tepper submitted trademarks for eight potential Charlotte MLS club names last week. Industry sources have told @frntofficesport that Charlotte Town FC is expected to be the choice for its name

Champions League Draw

Obvious highlights are City and Liverpool vs the two Madrids, and Chelsea/Bayern.  Only Tottenham got a friendly pull (Leipzig) among the English teams.

Did some messing around with 538's ratings and getting Atletico is like drawing Chelsea in terms of estimated strength.  Lyon would have been like drawing Palace.

Dortmund (GER)
v
Paris (FRA)

Real Madrid (ESP)
v
Man. City (ENG)

Atalanta (ITA)
v
Valencia (ESP)

Atlético (ESP)
v
Liverpool (ENG)

Chelsea (ENG)
v
Bayern (GER)

Lyon (FRA)
v
Juventus (ITA)

Tottenham (ENG)
v
Leipzig (GER)

Napoli (ITA)
v
Barcelona (ESP)

Wow that is big money

========

@SoccerInsider

MLS on Tuesday will formally welcome Charlotte as expansion city. Entry fee: $325 million

Been out all day, anyone seen word on who made the trip to the desert for Liverpool?
Wijnaldum went, but apparently he and Van Dijk didn't practice.  Would love it if Klopp used this week to rest some guys who don't get much of it (Alisson, VvD, Robbo, Mane, Salah in particular).

Also saw that Brewster is a question for the League Cup game, so would assume he doesn't make the trip now.

NewlyRetired said:
Wow that is big money

========

@SoccerInsider

MLS on Tuesday will formally welcome Charlotte as expansion city. Entry fee: $325 million
Tepper is the richest owner in the NFL and MLS now.  Certainly is rare for MLS soccer to have someone just bully into the league like this.

I love talk about MLS supporters groups that exist years before a team kicks off.

Question from a guy who just recorded a “Year in Review” podcast for a team that doesn’t even start play until 2021 - Are any of y’all connected to a supporters group in Charlotte? Is there such a thing? 

If so, hit me up in PM. The good folks of Austin Anthem would love to connect.

Question from a guy who just recorded a “Year in Review” podcast for a team that doesn’t even start play until 2021 - Are any of y’all connected to a supporters group in Charlotte? Is there such a thing? 

If so, hit me up in PM. The good folks of Austin Anthem would love to connect.
You looking to connect with the people leading the group? I am just a member but I can shoot you an email address of "the guy".

Leave it to Italy and serie A...

their new anti-racism campaign features posters of monkey faces in what appears to be team colors painted masks.

Very interested to see what kind of coach arteta is... Big fan of him as a player.

Ancelotti...sure. Everton seem disjointed, but have the horses to be doing much better.

Users who are viewing this thread