Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Ramsay Hunt Experience

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread***

1 hour ago, guru_007 said:

Fernandes to United official.  Hopefully this will lend some spark.  Pogba as good as gone in the offseason.  Who knows wtf is going on with Sanchez.  

Still stupid to move Lukaku having Rashford as your only senior striker.  

Nice pickup for United.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Poke_4_Life said:

Spurs really should have gotten Bruno in the summer or even this window.  I'm going to be really pissed when he turns out to be good.  

Is it me or does Portugal have really outrageous release clauses and transfers for their players? There's players who have barely made a name for themselves with Euros 75M release clauses. Seems very excessive  

OFFICIAL: Suso joins Sevilla on loan with option to buy that becomes obligation under certain conditions

Piatek is flying to Berlin. Hertha made a 27M bid that satisfies the Milianista club. 

Rodriguez will most likely go to PSV on a 1.5M Loan with obligation to buy at 6.5M

Also anyone know anything about Vina?

Milan made an offer for Nacional left back Matias Vina to replace Ricardo Rodriguez. Milan bid was €6.5-7M+20% resale percentage. Nacional ask for more. Palmeiras also interested in the fullback. He didn’t train today with his team

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DJackson10 said:

Also anyone know anything about Vina?

Milan made an offer for Nacional left back Matias Vina to replace Ricardo Rodriguez. Milan bid was €6.5-7M+20% resale percentage. Nacional ask for more. Palmeiras also interested in the fullback. He didn’t train today with his team

Does this indicate that the Robinson deal is not going to happen?

4 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

I've yet to hear. Hearts is holding off two offers for him because Milan's deal is 3-5M more then the other two offers. Vina apparently has an offer from Plumerias to take him full time which AN likes from what Google translated for me 

6 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

Also I think Milan could be good for Robinson depending on what happens with ownership. Maldini seems like he's staying no matter what or Ibra wouldn't have committed past this season and he can learn the LB from probably the best to ever play. Also he'll get plenty of playing time in the Copa most likely and smaller clubs because since Theo has come back from Injury besides the suspension for too many YC and the sub in his debut he's played every minute of every match he could play. Dude needs to rest. Also not sure he can do it but if he can play RB given the clubs issues there if he plays well enough could lock that spot down for awhile and get plenty of time. It may not be the best to start every game but I think Robison could do worse playing somewhere. He could go to a club where he has zero chance of playing. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NewlyRetired said:

Just amazing considering the tv wasteland when I was young

https://twitter.com/SoccerMarketer/status/1222599766753914880/photo/1

This tweet made me laugh!!!! Congrats on your 3rd transfer this window

If true, AC Milan have approximately 50 hrs to complete the Antonee Robinson transfer Congrats to Rodriguez on his 3rd transfer this window

54 minutes ago, DJackson10 said:

Is it me or does Portugal have really outrageous release clauses and transfers for their players? There's players who have barely made a name for themselves with Euros 75M release clauses. Seems very excessive  

I dont think this was a release clause.  Was a badly run team negotiating with a badly run team

4 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

Just amazing considering the tv wasteland when I was young

https://twitter.com/SoccerMarketer/status/1222599766753914880/photo/1

That is, on average,  over 8 matches a day, 365 days a year.

Not even that long ago. I remember after Fox Soccer lost their rights to Serie A I didn't have BEINSports so I use to stream games on sites. Now you have almost every league on some sort of channel. La Liga is on BEINSports I think the French league gets some actions there (Would like to see someone pick up La Liga's rights like Fox given they lost the Bundisliga who is going to ESPN+ that Has Serie A and the cup German League, FA Cup, Australian League, Dutch Eresdive, NBC has the EPL, ESPN/Fox has MLS plus the local ABC Affiliate has my Union. This is unheard of for me growing up. Growing up in the Millennium the most Soccer you got was some International Friendly or a World Cup. Maybe a game here or there of MLS on ESPN or something rarely. Champions League was always Fox and Fox Deportes plus Fox Soccer carried that and Europa league when I got those channels and everything took off in the last 10 yrs. Long time coming

Still remember when We changed to digital we ended up with Fox Soccer and I was so excited I could finally see AC Milan with Maldini, Zambrotta, Kaka, Inzaghi, with Ancelotti managing them with Pirlo putting on his usually Orchestra of the Midfield. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, B Maverick said:

I dont think this was a release clause.  Was a badly run team negotiating with a badly run team

I wasn't referring to this transfer specifically. Just in General Portuguese Clubs seem to overvalue their guys which is why Negotiations never go as smoothly as they could say If you were dealing with a Spainish side instead. 

1 minute ago, DJackson10 said:

I wasn't referring to this transfer specifically. Just in General Portuguese Clubs seem to overvalue their guys which is why Negotiations never go as smoothly as they could say If you were dealing with a Spainish side instead. 

Ahh.  Makes sense

Probably since they know they are a feeder league to the top leagues....  

• Thinking 1

I know it is not a strong brand like some of the other MLS teams but there is something I have always liked about the name and colors.

=============================

Sources close to the Crew’s front office have told The Dispatch that the team is thinking seriously about changing its name, colors and logo by the time its new stadium opens in the summer of 2021. 

37 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

I know it is not a strong brand like some of the other MLS teams but there is something I have always liked about the name and colors.

=============================

Sources close to the Crew’s front office have told The Dispatch that the team is thinking seriously about changing its name, colors and logo by the time its new stadium opens in the summer of 2021. 

There was a follow up tweet to say this was overblown.  The colors and name will remain, but the pattern on the kit may change.  Twitter link

Edited by Poke_4_Life
added link
  • Like 2

Piatek in November 2019:

"Someday I will go for 70M to a big club"

Piatek in January 2020

"AC Milan is about to Sell Piatek to Hertha Berlin for 27M Euros."

Club is fighting for their spot in German first division

Has this lad fallen flat or what? 

4 hours ago, Poke_4_Life said:

There was a follow up tweet to say this was overblown.  The colors and name will remain, but the pattern on the kit may change.  Twitter link

Really enjoyed taunting the Columbus people about it online while it lasted.

I like the new RBs home jersey 

• In Liverpool's last 12 games played by the first team they've given up TWO goals (Monterrey and Wolves).
  • In Joe Gomez's last 35 games they've surrendered eight goals.
  • They're 19 points clear of 2nd place.
  • They've doubled the points total of both United and Spurs (70 vs 34).
  • They've spend 1/4th what City have on transfers in the time since Klopp arrived.

Very weird after waiting 20+ years for a title to have it happen like this.  I always pictured them stumbling over the line in a down year for everyone else ("doing a Leicester"), but Klopp's built an absolute juggernaut of a team.

2 hours ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:
  • In Liverpool's last 12 games played by the first team they've given up TWO goals (Monterrey and Wolves).
  • They've spend 1/4th what City have on transfers in the time since Klopp arrived.

Very weird after waiting 20+ years for a title to have it happen like this.  I always pictured them stumbling over the line in a down year for everyone else ("doing a Leicester"), but Klopp's built an absolute juggernaut of a team.

Funny, I kind of feel like its both.  The rest of the league is a dumpster fire. 

3 points 2 & 3
8 points 3 & 4
6 points 4 & 7
10 points 4 & 14

15th -20th are all mathematically eliminated from winning the title, if my math is correct.

3 hours ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

It seems a decent probability LFC will go undefeated this season and will break all sorts of PL records - probably most wins and most points (32 and 100, both held by Man City).  There's a pretty good chance that draw at Old Trafford will prevent them from having a perfect season.  United, City and Chelsea have all finished a season with only one draw at home (and 18 wins) for 55 total home points, which LFC could top by going perfect at Anfield. 

yes, I am trying to jinx them ...

There are two records that they probably won't touch, which are really a testament to those two teams.  Liverpool would have to score something like 3.5 goals/game to equal City's record of 106 league goals in 17/18.  LFC has already given up 15 goals, so they'd have to keep clean sheets the rest of the way to equal Chelsea's record from 04/05.

24 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

It seems a decent probability LFC will go undefeated this season and will break all sorts of PL records - probably most wins and most points (32 and 100, both held by Man City).  There's a pretty good chance that draw at Old Trafford will prevent them from having a perfect season.  United, City and Chelsea have all finished a season with only one draw at home (and 18 wins) for 55 total home points, which LFC could top by going perfect at Anfield. 

There are two records that they probably won't touch, which are really a testament to those two teams.  Liverpool would have to score something like 3.5 goals/game to equal City's record of 106 league goals in 17/18.  LFC has already given up 15 goals, so they'd have to keep clean sheets the rest of the way to equal Chelsea's record from 04/05.

Soton has two of the statistically worst keepers in all of Europe and they're next on the schedule for Klopp's merry band. Just sayin'.

24 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

Yeah, reading your post made me queasy.

They'll probably focus on the Cups here pretty soon though.  So I don't expect any records to fall.

Canada's Christine Sinclair topped Wambachs international goal total in Oly qualifying with 2 goals to move to 185...and counting. Great player

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

Yeah, reading your post made me queasy.

They'll probably focus on the Cups here pretty soon though.  So I don't expect any records to fall.

They've looked vulnerable for the last month imo. Still lethal and great, but vulnerable. I don't see them staying undefeated...but I also never thought Leicester could hold on either.

Looking forward to Newcastle ending Liverpool's unbeaten season on the last day when they score a goal on their only shot of the game in the 93rd minute after having 18% of possession. Will probably be an accidental header by Joelinton taken as he was tripping over his own ankles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Laughing 3

10 minutes ago, McBokonon said:

Looking forward to Newcastle ending Liverpool's unbeaten season on the last day when they score a goal on their only shot of the game in the 93rd minute after having 18% of possession. Will probably be an accidental header by Joelinton taken as he was tripping over his own ankles.

Yedlin scores 6- and in his celebrations, jozys hamstring tears.

30 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

They've looked vulnerable for the last month imo. Still lethal and great, but vulnerable. I don't see them staying undefeated...but I also never thought Leicester could hold on either.

Agree there's a gap between the quality (great) and results (GOAT/historic).  They've been a bit fortunate in some games.

27 minutes ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

Agree there's a gap between the quality (great) and results (GOAT/historic).  They've been a bit fortunate in some games.

Fwiw, I dont remember any games where I thought they didn't deserve their result- which is pretty amazing given their record. Just feel like recently, opponents haven't taken advantage of the  openings they've allowed, and have been punished when opened up themselves. I guess I'm saying Liverpool have been ruthlessly clinical going forward and haven't hit a team that's reciprocated. That game against City...iirc, city played well and maybe better, but couldn't score...something Liverpool didn't mind doing themselves 

Because I am a giant nerd, I looked up the expected scores for every Liverpool match at 538 -- both xShotgoals and xOthergoals.  Then averaged them for both teams.

There are four games where the other team tied or beat Liverpool but no team was more than 0.2 xGoals better (City 1.7-1.5).  No other team came within 0.3 xGoals.

Season to date xGF and xGA for Liverpool by this method are 55-24, vs an actual 56-15.  Which says they probably have ridden their luck defensively.

If you turn every game within 0.5 xGoals into a draw they'd have six of them and would only be 9 points clear.

Bruno is official, medical done and terms agree... contract signed.  

Rojo leaves United to go back to Argentina.  On loan to Estudiantes for the rest of the season.  Fun fact, Rojo has less red cards as a United player then Juan Mata.  Rojo has 0.

In the race for the Top 4
#5 United (34pts / +7) host #7 Wolves (34pts / +3)
#4 Chelsea (40/+9) away to #3 Leicester (48 / +28)
#6 Tottenham (34 / +6)  host #2 City (51 / +38)

Other notables:
Sheffield at Palace
Liverpool v Southampton
Burnley v Arsenal

24 minutes ago, Tom Hagen said:

I haven't been following.  What is the mayor's reasoning?

I assume he wants a better deal but there might be many layers of politics hidden from a person like me nit in the know.

3 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:
29 minutes ago, Tom Hagen said:

I haven't been following.  What is the mayor's reasoning?

I assume he wants a better deal but there might be many layers of politics hidden from a person like me nit in the know.

Was about to rant and stepped back from the edge. Hope it works out 

If the stadium doesn't happen, does MLS have any control to take the expansion away or impose any other...

Just now, El Floppo said:

Was about to rant and stepped back from the edge. Hope it works out 

If the stadium doesn't happen, does MLS have any control to take the expansion away or impose any other...

I don't know but this news coupled with the fact that Nashville is WAAAY behind all the other new teams in tickets sales can't be good news for the MLS owners.

BREAKING: Milan have reportedly signed Alexis Saelemaekers, 20-year-old Belgian midfielder of Anderlecht. According to what has been learned by Sky Sport, Milan have closed a deal for the midfielder. He will mainly arrive to replace Suso, but he could also be useful for Stefano Pioli in the defence. The formula is a €1m paid loan with an obligation to buy at €7m, which will only be triggered under certain conditions. Tomorrow, the player is expected in Milan to undergo the medical tests before signing the contract with his new side.

BREAKING: Milan have agreed to sign Wigan Athletic left-back Antonee Robinson in a deal worth £10m. He is set to join the club as a replacement for Ricardo Rodriguez, who has joined Dutch side PSV Eindhoven. Robinson has made 30 appearances for Wigan this season and is a full United States international, having made his debut in 2018. He will now discuss personal terms with Milan and is expected to have a medical on Friday.

• Like 1

Too bad Robo has to cut his teeth in serie b, but good for him!

Oh this is fascinating.   If you can't translate the tweet, this is one of the most respected journalists covering Monterrey saying that Miami just offered $19.6m for Pizzaro.

https://twitter.com/DiegoArmaMedina/status/1223079679030153217

Now it's not fascinating because of the price tag, it is fascinating because the entire MLS business DNA is set up to not have teams compete against each other for players, driving up fees and salaries.

And yet, just this week, Chicago had an offer for Pizzaro rejected by Monterrey.

I don't know if MLS is altering its rules just because it needs a good launch in Miami or if this is another small step in the evolution of the league in how it does business.

• Thinking 1

Wigan Athletic defender Antonee Robinson will remain at the DW Stadium after his move to AC Milan could not be completed.

Robinson, 22, travelled to Milan this morning after the two clubs agreed a fee for the permanent transfer on Thursday evening.

The USA international underwent a medical examination with AC Milan, though further medical tests with the Italian authorities were required, which were subject to a 72-hour deadline.

As such, the deal could not be formally ratified before the 8pm Italian Transfer Deadline on Friday.

I'm starting the unfounded rumor today that Bale turned down a return to Totnum so he could come all the way home to the south coast this summer. We'll pair him up with Ings and DOMINATE.

50 minutes ago, roadkill1292 said:

I'm starting the unfounded rumor today that Bale turned down a return to Totnum so he could come all the way home to the south coast this summer. We'll pair him up with Ings and DOMINATE.

The Daily Mail just picked this up and reported it as fact, sourcing it from a "club insider with ties to footballguys."

• Like 3
  • Laughing 1

9 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:
1 hour ago, roadkill1292 said:

The Daily Mail just picked this up and reported it as fact, sourcing it from a "club insider with ties to footballguys."

There's a photo of Sinn fein holding a purple dildo and everything!

Ighalo to United on 6mo loan with option to buy?  Not sure if this is good or bad, being 30 and playing in China (I think), but United needs goal scoring options.  

1 hour ago, B Maverick said:

Ighalo to United on 6mo loan with option to buy?  Not sure if this is good or bad, being 30 and playing in China (I think), but United needs goal scoring options.  

SOAR SUPER EAGLES!!!!!!!

15 minutes ago, Eephus said:

SOAR SUPER EAGLES!!!!!!!

Coronas on Ighalo!

1 hour ago, B Maverick said:

Done I guess.  No option to buy.  6 month loan.  Depth with Rashford out.  More people that can score goals is a good thing.  Happy they are doing something this window, not can make a run at top 4 and Europa title, maybe FA Cup.  Then continue the overhaul in Summer

More Midfielders, esp if Pogba leaves.  McT, Bruno and Pogba make a nice trio.  Fred and depth is needed.  Pogba leaves will need at least 2 more.  A true holding MF would be great.
Right sided attacker and a striker.  Competition for Rashford Martial Greenwood and James.

Sell: Jones, Matic, maybe Pereira if you can get something for them.  Let Smalling stay at Roma.  Sell Sanchez
Lingard will always be an issue.  Helps with homegrown English requirements and can be useful in cups vs lower teams. But really is that worth keeping him?

GK will be interesting.  Henderson is 23 and doing well on loan at Sheffield. De Gea is 30 and not looking his best although can put in a great game at times.  Romero is a good #2.  They just signed another young keeper 21yo Nathan Bishop and have 20yo Matej Kovar on the roster too.  Plus 37 yo Lee Grant.  Let Grant retire. If someone comes calling for De Gea and the price is good maybe let him go and recall Henderson?

For the first time in AC Milan history the #s 8,9,11 are not in use. 

• Like 1