What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (6 Viewers)

Haaland is falling off.  

Before today's game he was averaging 1 goal every 12 minutes in the Bundesliga.

After today's brace, he's fallen down to 1 goal every 17 minutes.  

Don't know if Dortmund will be able to get their money back out of that one.

Fun chart that saves me an hour of my future life.  Shows the average team strength for a bunch of worldwide leagues.

• Rule Britannia!
  • The Big 5 is really a Big 3 + 2 right now.  It's a huge jump to the Big 5 from outside to in.
  • Interesting that the English Championship is in a small grouping as part of a second tier (along with Brazil, Russia and Portugal).  If you're an American and can't get into the Bundesliga or EPL, it's a great option.
  • Most of the other leagues you'd ever pay attention to (Mexico, Holland(!), Belgium, Turkey, Argentina, Greece, MLS) are in a broad 3rd tier. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Fun chart that saves me an hour of my future life.  Shows the average team strength for a bunch of worldwide leagues.

• Rule Britannia!
  • The Big 5 is really a Big 3 + 2 right now.  It's a huge jump to the Big 5 from outside to in.
  • Interesting that the English Championship is in a small grouping as part of a second tier (along with Brazil, Russia and Portugal).  If you're an American and can't get into the Bundesliga or EPL, it's a great option.
  • Most of the other leagues you'd ever pay attention to (Mexico, Holland(!), Belgium, Turkey, Argentina, Greece, MLS) are in a broad 3rd tier. 
How the heck is the Swiss league so high?  I need to pay attention to them more.  

China is slowly losing all the quality foreigners they signed en masse a few years ago, due to the new government rules.

It is also interesting seeing MLS lower than Argentina when every season MLS teams sign the top talent from Argentina that has not already gone to Europe..   This is probably still believable though just because of the massive depth of the Argentine domestic pool.

Which would you prefer for your team?

• 3 Champions League titles? or
  • 1 EPL title and 5 FA Cups?
Good question.  Guess it depends on the club and if you mean ever or in the next 5 seasons?

If talking over the next 3 seasons...
City fans would prob want the CL titles
Liverpool fans want the EPL

As a United fan?  hmmm.   3 CLs would level them with Liverpool.  FA cups would put them ahead of Arsenal.  I'd have to say CL titles.

And Haaland...already joint 10th top scorer in the league...after 136 minutes.
As much as I was hoping he'd go to United, he seemingly is where he is supposed to be.  And who knows if he'd be doing that in the EPL with a team that can't serve their strikers...

As much as I was hoping he'd go to United, he seemingly is where he is supposed to be.  And who knows if he'd be doing that in the EPL with a team that can't serve their strikers...
Fernandes and Martial were definitely looking for eachother. I mentioned noticing recently that martial had been making great runs but not getting service...now maybe he is. If Pogba can come back, as you've said... United could be up to something.

And Haaland...already joint 10th top scorer in the league...after 136 minutes.
7 goals in a 1 1/2 games. It's absolutely insane.

Meanwhile, CRo has scored in 9 straight for the old ladies.

And we can mark on our calendar now that the bundesliga race is over. (I'm hoping not...but BM took back 1st)

@DJackson10

18yo Maldini Jr makes his debut...any idea how it went or what's really expected of him? Amy thought that he's even remotely close to his dad's ability?
Paolo said it was not planned. He got called up last minute do to Bannacer's suspension and Krunic Muscle injury. In fact dad even said he shouldn't have debuted yesterday as he missed 2 days of training (Nice to see that Paolo doesn't think his kids are entitled to anything). The theory was was Daniel to get a few first team call ups on the bench while playing with the Primivara. Possible a loan at some point if all parties think its best. Paolo and Milan don't want to create a media circus out of this like there was when Daniel's brother Christian a LB came into the youth set up. He failed miserable and playing for like Serie D or some league in Malta last I heard. He's an attacking MF CAM most likely but can play as a RW or 2nd striker. Not sure he's any where close to Paolo but he could be pretty good in the Milan set up depending on who's brought in player and manager wise this summer. He's be a really good depth piece next year playing for suspensions cup ties etc. If Milan Make it back to Europe surely he'd be in the plans. Overall plan is to bring him on slowly though. So we'll see what happens. I think this will be his full last year of the Primavara squad though.  

Ralf Rangnick according to Bild is in advanced talks to become Milan's manager this summer. He'd takeover as head scout and sporting director have power for all transfers similar to what most of the EPL has with managers today. In Italy clubs still refer to their sporting directors. Milan has denied the rumors and so has Rangnick and Milan will be evaluation Pioli at the end of the season per normal. It is said by club sources the club loves the job Pioli has done so far. He's gotten a better work ethic into the lads and Milan is pleased he is getting the most out of players who weren't producing until he was appointed. 

Milan's website now has a section dedicated to their FEMMINILE side of the club. All matches can be viewed directly on the sweet new club app as well as watching a live stream of their matches. They are in 2nd place just below Juve women a surprise result in only their 2nd season or so of existence 

Milan's website now has a section dedicated to their FEMMINILE side of the club. All matches can be viewed directly on the sweet new club app as well as watching a live stream of their matches. They are in 2nd place just below Juve women a surprise result in only their 2nd season or so of existence 
I mentioned it in the women's WC thread...but it's amazing just how new the pro game is in Europe for women. And that will ultimately and pretty quickly eliminate the US's college-based advantage it's had all these years.

El Floppo said:
I mentioned it in the women's WC thread...but it's amazing just how new the pro game is in Europe for women. And that will ultimately and pretty quickly eliminate the US's college-based advantage it's had all these years.
Yeah I was surprised how new it was. It's like the complete opposite of Mens pro game. The good thing for Europe in the WOmen's game is they already have a structure from the Mens and literally use the clubs already in existence. Be nice if MLS came to a similar partnership there with the US Women's league 

Mia is willing to double Luka Modric's salary and Cavani's to bring them to MLS. Modric and AC Milan have mutual interest in the player given his relationship with countryman Boban in the directors role and Modric grew up as a AC Milan supporter. However his wages could be an issue unless Modric is willing to sacrifice to live out his dream at the moment 

Squawka Football
@Squawka
·
14m
Only four of Liverpool's starting XI against Shrewsbury were not born in the 2000s:

• Pedro Chirivella (1997)
• Caoimhín Kelleher (1998)
• Liam Millar (1999)
• Adam Lewis (1999)

More on Maldini @El Floppo. Calciomercato are reporting Milan rejected a loan offer for the young Maldini just 2 days before the deadline. It was a good thing as do to injuries and transfers Milan was short in the striker department. The report doesn't rule out not revisiting in the Summer for a loan though.

Talk to me about short corners. I hate them. They never work and frequently result in silly offside passes back to the corner taker.

But there’s obviously some analytic value I’m missing 

randall146 said:
Talk to me about short corners. I hate them. They never work and frequently result in silly offside passes back to the corner taker.

I am not a big fan either.  But the Spurs started using them not long ago, which I preferred to Eriksen hitting the first man on the corner every damn time.  

this is ugly

================

Pablo Maurer

@MLSist

#NYCFC fans will surely be a bit embarrassed by this - the club is set to play one of its CCL matches at...

Red Bull Arena.

IMO, this is almost a worse look for #RBNY, though? Either way... schadenfreude!

randall146 said:

Supposedly they work to disrupt the timing of the defensive alignment and change the angle of the attack. And as Poke said above, when your normal corner is usually hit right into the front man, something different always happens.  Only time I'm a fan is if they play it short and its immediately crossed.  But they often try and dribble or pass back for the offside.

Speaking of recent trends I don't get:

1) Kickoffs being played back then sent long.  Why are teams insisting on giving away the ball immediately after kickoff?

2) Zonal marking on corners.  Lets let everyone run free to win the header for a goal.

Happy Birthday to all the greats born on this day in history!

Cristiano Ronaldo

Carlos Tevez

Neymar

B Maverick! (damn my name looks good amonst this list!!)

Gheorghe Hagi

Adnan Januzaj

Sven Goran Eriksson

Giovanni van Bronckhorst

Stefan de Vrij

Paul Arriola

AND MANY MORE LISTED HERE

MLS and the players union have agreed on a new CBA waaaaaaay earlier than any deal before.

And while I am still digesting the news, it looks like for the very first time ever the players did not get taken to the cleaners.  In fact the players got a good piece of almost every single talking point.  Here are the highlights

* TAM is gone.  The same amount of money is still in every teams budget, but they can spend it how ever they please instead of only on a specific player.

* Charter flights have increased.  They will slowly grow up to 16 flights as the CBA matures.  Currently teams only have 4.

* A significant expansion of free agency.  Old policy was 28 years with 8 years in league.  Now it is down to 24 and 5.

* I don't have enough knowledge to figure out how good this is below is for the players but it sounds pretty progressive.

For the first time, player spend per club will include a share of the increased revenue generated by MLS’s new media agreements in 2023 and 2024. Beginning in 2023 and 2024, MLS will increase player spending by an amount equal to 25 percent of the increased media revenue above the amount generated by the league in 2022 plus $100 million. The league’s current local, national and international media rights partnerships expire at the end of 2022.

MLS and the players union have agreed on a new CBA waaaaaaay earlier than any deal before.

And while I am still digesting the news, it looks like for the very first time ever the players did not get taken to the cleaners.  In fact the players got a good piece of almost every single talking point.  Here are the highlights

* TAM is gone.  The same amount of money is still in every teams budget, but they can spend it how ever they please instead of only on a specific player.

* Charter flights have increased.  They will slowly grow up to 16 flights as the CBA matures.  Currently teams only have 4.

* A significant expansion of free agency.  Old policy was 28 years 8 with 8 years in league.  Now it is down to 24 and 5.

* I don't have enough knowledge to figure out how good this is for the players but it sounds pretty progressive.

For the first time, player spend per club will include a share of the increased revenue generated by MLS’s new media agreements in 2023 and 2024. Beginning in 2023 and 2024, MLS will increase player spending by an amount equal to 25 percent of the increased media revenue above the amount generated by the league in 2022 plus $100 million. The league’s current local, national and international media rights partnerships expire at the end of 2022.
all sounds good.

that last one... this still through the MLS collective, and not based on on individual markets... right? 

This is by far the best deal the players have ever received.  And coupling that with the ease in which the deal was signed makes me think business is better than I realize.

I am happy for the players, god knows how many hundreds of players before them would have killed for this CBA.

This is by far the best deal the players have ever received.  And coupling that with the ease in which the deal was signed makes me think business is better than I realize.

I am happy for the players, god knows how many hundreds of players before them would have killed for this CBA.
it's interesting how seemingly painless (from the outside) this went. I wonder if all of the media around the USWNT and their deal pushed MLS to act quickly.

all sounds good.

that last one... this still through the MLS collective, and not based on on individual markets... right? 
I think there is a huge clue in the last sentence:

The league’s current local, national and international media rights partnerships expire at the end of 2022.

There has been a rumor which is starting now to make more sense.   The rumor has been that MLS is going to end ALL local TV deals and sell the entire rights bundled together in one massive package to some one like an ESPN who could show every single game to every market of the country via ESPN+.

I think there is a huge clue in the last sentence:

The league’s current local, national and international media rights partnerships expire at the end of 2022.

There has been a rumor which is starting now to make more sense.   The rumor has been that MLS is going to end ALL local TV deals and sell the entire rights bundled together in one massive package to some one like an ESPN who could show every single game to every market of the country via ESPN+.
huh. not sure I like that... but I get it.

it's interesting how seemingly painless (from the outside) this went. I wonder if all of the media around the USWNT and their deal pushed MLS to act quickly.
I don't know but as a fan of the sport, I am happy it went down with out any drama.  Every other time it has gone to the last second with threats of lock outs/strikes only to see the players cave at the last minute.

huh. not sure I like that... but I get it.
I think they feel they can unlock more value  this way.  Only a handful of teams (LA, Seattle and a couple of others) make decent money from local TV.  Every one else just skates hoping to break even.

Note that this is still speculation but this is all starting to make more sense.  And it could be a nice boost to the players if they can pull of a big tv deal.  It is like everyone is rowing together for once.

Users who are viewing this thread