What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (8 Viewers)

I think they feel they can unlock more value  this way.  Only a handful of teams (LA, Seattle and a couple of others) make decent money from local TV.  Every one else just skates hoping to break even.

Note that this is still speculation but this is all starting to make more sense.  And it could be a nice boost to the players if they can pull of a big tv deal.  It is like everyone is rowing together for once.
yeah. the part I'm unsure of is regarding the local market viewer rather than MLS and the players.

yeah. the part I'm unsure of is regarding the local market viewer rather than MLS and the players.
I don't quite understand how this would work but my guess is that they will simply hire the same people who do play by play and color for the teams today to give a local feel to every game.  

But that is just a guess.

Couple of other notes. 

Minimum salary will increased on average 11.9% per year.

The charter flights information is a little confusing.  It is clear that every team is required to use X amount of charter flights now.  What is not clear is if there is any cap (meaning if a team wanted to charter every flight, they could)

This is by far the best deal the players have ever received.  And coupling that with the ease in which the deal was signed makes me think business is better than I realize.

I am happy for the players, god knows how many hundreds of players before them would have killed for this CBA.
Once Arthur Blank started talking publicly about most MLS teams making money, you could see the writing on the wall. There are enough owners now that really want the freedom to invest more. 

After all this Haaland talk, I just saw that Odegaard scored the game winner against parent club RM in the copa Rey.

Still only 21. A pretty lethal combo right there...Norwegian CRo and Norwegian Messi for years to come.

We still have roldan and zardoz at least 

Poor Kraft may have to spend more $.  
He already has been.   It is like the lock has been shot off the wallet after all these years.  Arena costs more than every Rev coach in history combined (that is not hyperbole).

He just opened the $35m training facility as well which given his reluctance to spend on anything for the Revs that did not have an immediate effect is remarkable.

Kraft may be one of the few owners who does not care about the charters since he already owns his own plane for the Pats that the Revs use  https://www.revolutionsoccer.net/post/2019/09/23/revs-fly-private-airkraft-portland-it-s-massive-help-players

That being said, it is pretty clear Jonathan Kraft and Clark Hunt were not at the negotiating table like they were last time.  I assume some of the more progressive owners represented the league this time around.

Last edited by a moderator:
MLS and the players union have agreed on a new CBA waaaaaaay earlier than any deal before.

And while I am still digesting the news, it looks like for the very first time ever the players did not get taken to the cleaners.  In fact the players got a good piece of almost every single talking point.  Here are the highlights

* TAM is gone.  The same amount of money is still in every teams budget, but they can spend it how ever they please instead of only on a specific player.

* Charter flights have increased.  They will slowly grow up to 16 flights as the CBA matures.  Currently teams only have 4.

* A significant expansion of free agency.  Old policy was 28 years 8 with 8 years in league.  Now it is down to 24 and 5.

* I don't have enough knowledge to figure out how good this is below is for the players but it sounds pretty progressive.

For the first time, player spend per club will include a share of the increased revenue generated by MLS’s new media agreements in 2023 and 2024. Beginning in 2023 and 2024, MLS will increase player spending by an amount equal to 25 percent of the increased media revenue above the amount generated by the league in 2022 plus $100 million. The league’s current local, national and international media rights partnerships expire at the end of 2022.
I need these guys Union reps to get my new CBA at my job. My Union leaders literally let the company Bend us over without lube nor a courtesy of a reach around. Pretty good deal for them 

I think there is a huge clue in the last sentence:

The league’s current local, national and international media rights partnerships expire at the end of 2022.

There has been a rumor which is starting now to make more sense.   The rumor has been that MLS is going to end ALL local TV deals and sell the entire rights bundled together in one massive package to some one like an ESPN who could show every single game to every market of the country via ESPN+.
Not sure I like that other then the fact I could watch Union when at work or on the go with ease. I would hope the clubs get their keep their commentary teams. 

This graphic provides more information than what I was able to convey.  The players seem outright giddy on twitter which is a FAR cry from the last time when they wondered if they were going to run out of lube for bending over so much.

===============================

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EQGrjP9XYAI5hIT?format=jpg&name=4096x4096
Do we still have the stupid discovery rule and waivers etc for bringing back US players into the league? I think especially the latter defeats the purpose of what the league wanted IMHO

Couple of other notes. 

Minimum salary will increased on average 11.9% per year.

The charter flights information is a little confusing.  It is clear that every team is required to use X amount of charter flights now.  What is not clear is if there is any cap (meaning if a team wanted to charter every flight, they could)
Not sure if you heard this but apparently last year Bedoya reamed Sugarmen on the charter flights or lack there of the team was getting. The club was apparently not even getting close to what the league max was allowed. Jim Curtain apparently had to calm him down at one point. 

Bye, Real and Barça.

Silverware drawer now open for some teams that have never won jack.
Hopefully Athletico Madrid can take advantage. Always had a small part of my heart for them or maybe it's because Simone reminds me of how passionate I am as well. I'd run through a brick wall on the pitch for that dude 

Hopefully Athletico Madrid can take advantage. Always had a small part of my heart for them or maybe it's because Simone reminds me of how passionate I am as well. I'd run through a brick wall on the pitch for that dude 
Uh, Atleti were eliminated in the previous round, so that's not going to happen.

Semi-finalists are Athletic Bilbao, Real Sociedad, Granada, and Mirandés.  Lots of upsets, including 2 goals from Roberto Soldado against his home-town club Valencia (where he scored like 150 goals) to knock them out.  Neither Granada nor Mirandés have ever won it.  Athletic and Real Soceidad hasn't won crap since the early 80s.

Was about to rant and stepped back from the edge. Hope it works out 

If the stadium doesn't happen, does MLS have any control to take the expansion away or impose any other...
I don't know but this news coupled with the fact that Nashville is WAAAY behind all the other new teams in tickets sales can't be good news for the MLS owners.
Apparently the holdup over the stadium is based on the city wanting to take some of that land to add to their racetrack to potentially attract higher tier NASCAR races  :lol:  

Way to pick a growing sport

Didn't even notice they changed the format to single-legs this year.
Certainly makes the upsets more likely. Big teams playing away to small teams levels the playing field. I don't think Barça nor Real had their starting 11 playing either. Atlético fielded a mostly starting 11 and also failed away.

El Floppo said:
Weird...thought I replied.

Iirc, the article says nothing's confirmed.

So yeah...definitely for real this time.
I mean this is usually a fall story, but they’ve been circling that site for awhile.  I’ll believe it when all the permits are obtained. 

Slapdash said:
Apparently the holdup over the stadium is based on the city wanting to take some of that land to add to their racetrack to potentially attract higher tier NASCAR races  :lol:  

Way to pick a growing sport
This is deteriorating quickly for Nashville:

Jesse Knutson @JesseKnutsonNC5 18h

MORE INFO: According to Motion to Intervene from @NashvilleSC owners, if construction doesn't begin by March 31st of this year on the new stadium, @MLS can terminate the expansion agreement and take the team away from Nashville.

Miami and Nashville are running neck and neck to see who can have the most awkward launch.

Inter Milan won their initial infringement ruling against Inter Miami which allows the case to proceed.  Should Inter Milan win, Miami will have to change their name.

================

Who would have thunk that the Precourt owned team is doing everything right out of the three new expansion teams....

I've been following the Nashville stuff super closely, because I love local political intrigue. They got hosed when the leading opponent of the deal was elected mayor. I can't imagine what life would be like here if Leslie Pool, the city council member who flew to Columbus to hang out with SaveTheCrew while this thing was going on, suddenly became mayor It would be SO VERY VERY BAD.

Got some pretty sweet Yeti swag at the kit sponsor announcement today.
Still plays for Newcastle though.

Miami and Nashville are running neck and neck to see who can have the most awkward launch.

Inter Milan won their initial infringement ruling against Inter Miami which allows the case to proceed.  Should Inter Milan win, Miami will have to change their name.

================

Who would have thunk that the Precourt owned team is doing everything right out of the three new expansion teams....
There are a lot of teams with Inter in their names. Has always seemed a weird line in the sand to me.

I think Miami should change to s####horpe miami

There are a lot of teams with Inter in their names. Has always seemed a weird line in the sand to me.
I found the full list on wiki.   Not many big names or cities represented.  I can see Inter Milan being more scared of Miami than any of these other teams in terms of perspective size and influence.  Becks running Miami gives them more cache in the business world than any of these other teams.

==============================

Inter Milan, an Italian club

SC Internacional, a Brazilian club

Inter Miami CF, an American club

FC Inter Sibiu, a Romanian club

FC Inter Turku, a Finnish club

FK Inter Bratislava, a former Slovak club

NK Inter Zaprešić, a Croatian club

FC Internaţional Curtea de Argeş, a Romanian club

Esporte Clube Internacional, a Brazilian club from Santa Maria

Esporte Clube Internacional (SC), a Brazilian club from Lages

Associação Atlética Internacional, a Brazilian club from Limeira

Inter Luanda, an Angolan club

Inter Baku FK, an Azerbaijani club

Inter Club d'Escaldes, an Andorran club

Inter Leipzig, a German club

Inter de Grand-Goâve, a Haitian club

Inter Moengotapoe, a Surinamese club

Inter Cardiff FC, a defunct Welsh club

Accussations that Milan's Frank Kessie was the target of more racial abuse from Inter Milan's Curva Norda. There were reports earlier in during start of match that Zlatan was subjected to racial chants by the Curva Nord while warming up. I kept away from this in the match day thread so I fingered I'd post this here. This isn't the first time the Curva Nord has been accused. Earlier in the year Curva Nord supportered racial attacks on other Black athletes as well. Italy as a whole needs to do a better job. In fact all of FIFA. I'd not only ban the "fans" who are the perps of these incidents but if a club doesn't stop them or tries to prevent them the club needs to be punished with pts deductions, fines and even demotions and bans from UEFA Tournaments. Just no excuse for this nonsense world wide in general. 

According to both ANSA and il Corriere dello Sport, there were racist jeers aimed by Inter fans against Franck Kessie. The Ivorian was targeted in the second half when the Milan player was booked for a foul on Nicolò Barella.

This comes after reports from MilanNews.it’s Thomas Rolfi claiming that Zlatan Ibrahimovic was also targeted with discriminatory chants by the Curva Nord as he was warming up before the game.

He states that as the Swede warmed up along with his Milan team-mates, he was cheered by the Curva Sud, but the Nord were singing: “You’re a gypsy.”

I like it. More accuracy the better. I've felt that FIFA either needs to change the rule completely on offisides or add something that doesn't make it so subjective. It's the most subjective controversial rule besides what is and not an intentional handball. 

On a side note: Super Happy refs are now penalizing or giving none calls to the players who flop/dive constantly and rewarding them with a Yellow Card. One thing is for my NBA friends who like to be comedy club on Soccer about Diving I can say there's more diving in NBA today then soccer and at least FIFA is doing something about it where the NBA continues to let it get worse. 

Looks like Nashville have traded for Zimmerman.  Finally my hometown team has a guy I've heard of!
When the Union first started their inaugural season I don't think there was a single player on the squad I ever heard of. I mean outside of Seba who I briefly heard in passing the only only name that even sounded remotely familiar was Alejandro Moreno 

I like it. More accuracy the better. I've felt that FIFA either needs to change the rule completely on offisides or add something that doesn't make it so subjective. It's the most subjective controversial rule besides what is and not an intentional handball. 

On a side note: Super Happy refs are now penalizing or giving none calls to the players who flop/dive constantly and rewarding them with a Yellow Card. One thing is for my NBA friends who like to be comedy club on Soccer about Diving I can say there's more diving in NBA today then soccer and at least FIFA is doing something about it where the NBA continues to let it get worse. 
This is ridiculous.  If they aren't offside enough for the linesman to spot it, then its even and should be considered on.  There is no need to be so technical on this call.  An armpit, a kneecap, your toe.  Are these really advantages?  For a sport that claims it wants more scoring, its doing all it can to limit it.  

ok, now that I've said this, IF they insist on going down this road, then this should be better then some guy in a van by Hethro manually drawing lines whos margin of error is so big the calls are probably wrong anyway.

Either way, stop getting technical with the offside call.  This one, more then others, should be subjected to the clear and obvious part of VAR.

This is ridiculous.  If they aren't offside enough for the linesman to spot it, then its even and should be considered on.  There is no need to be so technical on this call.  An armpit, a kneecap, your toe.  Are these really advantages?  For a sport that claims it wants more scoring, its doing all it can to limit it.  

ok, now that I've said this, IF they insist on going down this road, then this should be better then some guy in a van by Hethro manually drawing lines whos margin of error is so big the calls are probably wrong anyway.

Either way, stop getting technical with the offside call.  This one, more then others, should be subjected to the clear and obvious part of VAR.
I'm ok if this is the route they want to go but I agree cleared obvious. Or we can just change the rule so it's not so subjective. I like the play on and see what happens before making the offsides call. We had one of those in Derby on Sunday which was ruled offsides in the closing mins. 

Brazilian CB Tiago Silva and PSG have yet to sit down and discuss a new deal that expires after this season. There have been talks between Silva's agents and former club AC Milan and a reunion with club and friend Ibrahimovic is not being ruled out. The issue is 12M salary per year Silva gets so he'd need to take a pay cut. Silva would like to play one last World Cup in 2022 so playing in Europe is his best option for that. Also Silva hasn't found many options which could make him take a pay cut anyway to join the club who bought him from parent club FLumanissee. PSG are already looking for Replacement already.

Kalidou Koulibaly from Napoli.

Foot Mercato recently revealed that that PSG are willing to make a €12m salary offer (just short of £200,000-per-week) to tempt him to the Parc Des Princes, with a €75m asking price set by Napoli.

However, there have also been strong links between the Senegal international and Manchester United, withItalian journalist Fabio Santini stating that a move to Old Trafford was virtually done.

“Napoli will sell Kalidou Koulibaly to Manchester United for a figure of around 70-75m euros. It seems all done,” Santini told Il Processo.

“Naturally, such a deal will be closed only in June and certainly not in January in the winter transfer window.”

Source claims Chelsea man Tiemoue Bakayoko who is loaned to Monaco this season could be going back to Milan this summer. Bakayoko was loaned to Milan last year but Milan couldn't come to an agreement to buy the Midfielder. Monaco would have to pay 40M to make his loan permanit. A source in Chelsea claims Bakayoko could go to Milan in a player swap involved 35M last January transfer Lucas Paqueta. The Brazilian has been caught under fire and lost his place in the Milan squad. There's no evidence that there is anything close to agreement yet however 

The Athletic is reporting that Miami and Monterrey finally agreed on the sale of Pizzaro

======================

@PaulTenorio

An update on Inter Miami and Rodolfo Pizarro: Miami has paid and triggered the release clause. As has been reported in Mexico, there was some debate about taxes (net vs gross sum). Miami paid just shy of $12 million (could've paid less for a % of pass).

Multiple league sources confirmed there was a buyout clause, which is what allowed Miami to trigger the payment at a "lower" fee. $12 million is nothing to sneeze at, but it's not the $17.5-$20m that was floating out there.

Union II announce new coaching Changes. Former Manager of Reading United and Union First team Assistant Brendan Burke is staying in the org in a scouting role. Thats great because Burke feels like he's a local guy despite being from Mass. He coached Reading since 07 and when they became the Union Reserve club stayed and started big time with the Union. The Union II is the former Bethlehem Steel a reincarnation of the historic USSL club that won the US Open a record amount of times in the early 1900s. This version of the Steel do to league guidelines could no longer play at Lehigh University do to issues with stadium Guidelines. The Steel moved matches to Uions Talen Energy Stadium. They were rebranded the Union II to help better streamline and keep then in Chester as the organization and city of Bethlehem couldn't come to an agreement. Its better for everyone. Bethlehem is an hour drive from the Union sports complex and the academy which is 15 mins from me. So logistical it made sense to rebrand and keep them closer. Anyway here's the press releases.

Philadelphia Union II Announce 2020 Coaching Staff

Sven Gartung to join Union II as head coach ahead of 2020 season

CHESTER, Pa. (February 12, 2020) – Philadelphia Union II today announced the club’s coaching staff ahead of the 2020 season. Sven Gartung will become Head Coach of the USL Championship side while Stephen Hogan will continue as Assistant Coach and Gavin McInerney will join as the Goalkeeping Coach. Gartung, who holds a UEFA A License, joins Union II ahead of the 2020 season and was previously the head coach of Malaysian Super League team PKNS FC (2017-18).

Former Union II head coach Brendan Burke will remain with the Union organization, transitioning to Head of Recruitment Operations for both Union II and the first team. Hogan has been an assistant coach of the Union’s USL Championship side every year of its existence, while McInerney took up his role when Phil Wheddon transitioned to the same role with the first team.

"We’re excited to welcome Sven to the Union II staff. As a coach and player in organizations around the world, he brings a global perspective to the club going into the 2020 season,” said Philadelphia Union Sporting Director Ernst Tanner. “We thank Brendan for his years of hard work. Brendan has had many successes with the team and we look forward to utilizing his talents and experience in a new role with the Union.”

Gartung brings more than 20 years’ experience soccer to the Union II, most recently as head coach of Malaysian Super League team PKNS FC (2017-18). Prior to joining PKNS FC, Gartung worked on technical staffs across the world including clubs in Switzerland, China and Malaysian-state Sarawak. He was the head of Eintracht Brauschweig’s youth academy for four years and head coach of the club’s Under-19 team.

Philadelphia Union II kicks off their season with a home opener against new rival Loudoun United FC on Saturday, March 7. Philadelphia Union II rebranded in late 2019 to further cultivate and streamline the player pathway from the academy to the first team. The club will play its home games at Talen Energy Stadium.

Users who are viewing this thread