What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (7 Viewers)

More union from Brotherly Game Great to see Chambers stay

Brotherly Game

@BrotherlyGame

Assistant coach Stephen Hogan is now the only player or coach left from the inaugural 2016 Bethlehem Steel team still involved directly with the USL Championship squad (not counting unsigned academy players).

Brendan Burke is still with the organization and James Chambers, Ryan Richter and Fred are with the academy. Cory Burke is still on the books with the first team but is out on loan.

Just the other day Howard Eskin who use to do the afternoon show for Philly's WIP and does Eagles Radio Sideline reporting was excited to see Julia Mancusa not be on Sunday Night Football anymore. However when tagging her he tagged the wrong person. 
By Julia Mancusa do you mean Jessica Mendoza? And by Sunday Night Football do you mean Sunday Night Baseball?

By Julia Mancusa do you mean Jessica Mendoza? And by Sunday Night Football do you mean Sunday Night Baseball?
Yeah Dammit I knew I had that wrong. I was watching some skiing stuff and was just talking to someone about mikaela shiffrin who's father passed away last week and my buddy asked me about Mancusa. So when I typed that I was all in messed up 

NewlyRetired said:
The Athletic is reporting that Miami and Monterrey finally agreed on the sale of Pizzaro

======================

@PaulTenorio

An update on Inter Miami and Rodolfo Pizarro: Miami has paid and triggered the release clause. As has been reported in Mexico, there was some debate about taxes (net vs gross sum). Miami paid just shy of $12 million (could've paid less for a % of pass).

Multiple league sources confirmed there was a buyout clause, which is what allowed Miami to trigger the payment at a "lower" fee. $12 million is nothing to sneeze at, but it's not the $17.5-$20m that was floating out there.
Wow.

Big signing for the league. I thought he was young...ish? Had figured he was ready for a bigger move, even if there money is probably bigger than where he'd get most places.

Just the other day Howard Eskin who use to do the afternoon show for Philly's WIP and does Eagles Radio Sideline reporting was excited to see Julia Mancusa not be on Sunday Night Football anymore. However when tagging her he tagged the wrong person. 

These are always funny.

Wow.

Big signing for the league. I thought he was young...ish? Had figured he was ready for a bigger move, even if there money is probably bigger than where he'd get most places.
Not really young but not old either.  He will turn 26 in a few days.

I think it is an excellent signing for on the field.  But of all the cities that could have used a big named Mexican player (Chicago, are you even awake?), Miami seems like it won't get much bang for the buck unless he elevates the team significantly.

Both clubs have confirmed Ziyech to Chelsea, so it seems officially a done deal.  I've only seen him play a few times in the CL.  From what I've read, he can play on the right or center.  Probably not a threat to Pulisic, and ultimately may help him with some competition in that mix of CP, CHO, Willian, Mount.  Now, if Chelsea were to also go after someone like Sancho or Zaha this summer, that would be bad, but I don't expect that to happen, even if both Pedro and Willian leave.

Both clubs have confirmed Ziyech to Chelsea, so it seems officially a done deal.  I've only seen him play a few times in the CL.  From what I've read, he can play on the right or center.  Probably not a threat to Pulisic, and ultimately may help him with some competition in that mix of CP, CHO, Willian, Mount.  Now, if Chelsea were to also go after someone like Sancho or Zaha this summer, that would be bad, but I don't expect that to happen, even if both Pedro and Willian leave.
I don't see Chelsea re-signing Willian this summer when he is out of contract.  I think Ziyech is a perfect replacement.  Is Pedro out of contract as well this summer?

And if they are smart, they won't get Sancho, and use that 130m to sign three top players in various position of need (CB, keeper and maybe Lb).

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see Chelsea re-signing Willian this summer when he is out of contract.  I think Ziyech is a perfect replacement.  Is Pedro put of contract as well this summer?

And if they are smart, they won't get Sancho, and use that 130m to sign three top players in various position of need (CB, keeper and maybe Lb).
Yes - Pedro's contract expires this summer and he will almost certainly go elsewhere.  What a great player - loved watching him play at Chelsea these past several years.

I could see Willian coming back for a year.  He's 31, but is still playing at a very high level.

For me, Chelsea's biggest need is center forward. 

Yes - Pedro's contract expires this summer and he will almost certainly go elsewhere.  What a great player - loved watching him play at Chelsea these past several years.

I could see Willian coming back for a year.  He's 31, but is still playing at a very high level.
That would be surprising to me if he signs for only a year at 31.   At his age, injury risk looms that can hurt a future long term deal and he may be looking for one last big long term deal some where in the 4 year range, which he can likely get if he looks outside the top 25 club level in the world.  He would make a ton down in Orlando for one example.

That would be surprising to me if he signs for only a year at 31.   At his age, injury risk looms that can hurt a future long term deal and he may be looking for one last big long term deal some where in the 4 year range, which he can likely get if he looks outside the top 25 club level in the world.  He would make a ton down in Orlando for one example.
He can, and likely will, still get a 2 or 3 year contract with a big club for a ton of money.  I think the appeal of winning trophies is greater to him than money.  I think he'll find a deal with a CL playing club and give it another go before chasing money in the US.  I do think we'll see him in MLS when he's 34 or 35 though and he'll likely be one of, if not the, best players in the league still at that age.  

I do think we'll see him in MLS when he's 34 or 35 though and he'll likely be one of, if not the, best players in the league still at that age.  
That would surprise me at that age as it would be almost Zlatan worthy.

Villa, Beckham, Henry, Vela, Giovinco, Kaka, Keane all came over in their early 30's or earlier and for the most part were amongst the best players in the league.

Players like Gerrard, Lampard, Pirlo all came over later and significantly struggled, only seeing playing time mostly because of their names and cost.  Even Nani at just 33 is hardly lighting the league on fire, but he has not been terrible either to be fair.  

Lampard was actually half decent the few times he felt is was worthwhile to actually play but that is another issue with the old players is that they can't deal with the travel or the turf.  Drogba had to be handled with kid gloves just to get himself on the field.  I think he played in less than half the teams games as they did what they could to protect him.

That would surprise me at that age as it would be almost Zlatan worthy.

Villa, Beckham, Henry, Vela, Giovinco, Kaka, Keane all came over in their early 30's or earlier and for the most part were amongst the best players in the league.

Players like Gerrard, Lampard, Pirlo all came over later and significantly struggled, only seeing playing time mostly because of their names and cost.  Even Nani at just 33 is hardly lighting the league on fire, but he has not been terrible either to be fair.  

Lampard was actually half decent the few times he felt is was worthwhile to actually play but that is another issue with the old players is that they can't deal with the travel or the turf.  Drogba had to be handled with kid gloves just to get himself on the field.  I think he played in less than half the teams games as they did what they could to protect him.
Its hard to get a read on Willian and his moods, attitude, motivations.  He's won the team's player of the year award several times - the one voted on by team members - and all indications are that he is loved in the dressing room.  He also had a public falling out with Conte that was kind of ugly.  I think Mourniho would take him in a heartbeat, but that would be unlikely given Spurs' history and relationship with Willian and Chelsea.  I see him as a high energy player who does the dirty work, but many fans disagree. He's consistently maintained he wants to play forever at Chelsea.  I could see him adopting a sub role to save his energy - filing in for cup games and injuries and otherwise being a great late sub, whether offense or defense is needed.

Its hard to get a read on Willian and his moods, attitude, motivations.  He's won the team's player of the year award several times - the one voted on by team members - and all indications are that he is loved in the dressing room.  He also had a public falling out with Conte that was kind of ugly.  I think Mourniho would take him in a heartbeat, but that would be unlikely given Spurs' history and relationship with Willian and Chelsea.  I see him as a high energy player who does the dirty work, but many fans disagree. He's consistently maintained he wants to play forever at Chelsea.  I could see him adopting a sub role to save his energy - filing in for cup games and injuries and otherwise being a great late sub, whether offense or defense is needed.
I'm actually quite surprised that Chelsea hasn't been willing to offer Willian the 2 year extension he wants.  I know they have an issue with long contracts to older players, but like you mentioned, he seems perfect in that rotation winger role and with Chelsea only having 3 wingers on the payroll for next season at the moment it seems logical to sign him IMO.

The Ref has saved Juve in the first leg of the semis of the Coppa Italia vs Milan. First apparently if you are a Rubentus player you are allowed to hockey check your opponent. Bennacer got body checked outside the left of Buffon's box no call Theo goes for the ball and fouls the guy YC Misses the the 2nd leg. Rebic scores 2nd half 63" and instantly every Milan foul the Ref gets card happy. Theo has a 2nd foul in the 76' on a foul and gets his 2nd yellow. Ibra got a card for a questionable going up for the ball challenge. Milan down 10 and Calabria with Ronaldo behind him going up for the ball has an arm out (Nothing intentional typical jump) CR7s bicycle kick hits Calabria in the arm and ref gives the Penalty that CR7 converts. Ends 1 all. meanwhile Caudrado should've been carded for diving about 5 times along with Dabyla 

He's incredible talented. I remember Milan being interested in him before a lot of the big clubs started to join in. For whatever reason they didn't sign him. He's what they've been missing in the MF since Pirlo and Seedorf both left. He can play both Wings I believe and Center MF very well. He's quick, good ball dribbler and well equipped to be a playmaker or score himself. He's had some really great matches in the CL the last few yrs. Milan should've pounce when AJAX only wanted 15-20M for him. 

Milan dominated most of the match. Took a very well deserved lead. Hakan missed a couple chances again he should've taken don't understand why they continue to play him as the CAM/CF/Trequista role when you have Lucas Paqueta who is a natural at that role. Dude needs to show what he can do

To recap now for the 2nd leg and needing a goal to advance and play against Juve and the officials Milan will do so without LB Theo Hernandez (The best Fullback in Serie A this season,) Ibrahimovic (their best player), and the man who replaced a failing Suso, Castillo. This doesn't include that Krunic valuable MF is already hurt. 

This is really the first time in A VERY VERY VERY LONG TIME that many Milan supporters feel like a draw to a top club feels like a loss. Milan more then deservingly should've had a win. Defense was fantastic everyone going for the ball, pressure was outstanding and containing and frustrating the Juve MF and CR7 and Juve didn't get their first opportunity of the match till the 36" minute. Incredible proud of these lads today after a heart wrenching defeat in the Darby on Sunday night a game they should've won and let a lead slip and lost by 2. Terrific bounce back but the lads. 

Former football referee, Tiziano Pieri commented on penalty kick for Juventus (Davide Calabria's hand). 

Ronaldo shot the arm of falling Calabria. Calabria had no way of reacting to the blow, all the more so because he was turned his back to the ball and could not see what was happening around him at all.

Let me quote Rizzolle's statement of November 20, when a very similar situation was discussed during the meeting with captains and coaches that took place after the Cagliari vs Brescia match.

Rizzoli said then:

There should be no penalty in this situation.

Situations from both matches are very similar and in my opinion a penalty should not be awarded.

[Rai Sport]

Holy ####.  That's MASSIVE!  I'm assuming they'll appeal and try to get it cut down to 1 year, but if they don't... how many players leave?  I'm guessing Pep goes too with that news.  Could be a fire sale this summer.

Also, has there ever been a bigger monetary judgement in sports history?  That's gonna cost Man City $100M+ over two seasons.  Incredible.

Holy ####.  That's MASSIVE!  I'm assuming they'll appeal and try to get it cut down to 1 year, but if they don't... how many players leave?  I'm guessing Pep goes too with that news.  Could be a fire sale this summer.

Also, has there every been a bigger monetary judgement in sports history?  That's gonna cost Man City $100M+ over two seasons.  Incredible.
If it's upheld.  Hasn't the review court overturned these kinds of things before?

If it's upheld.  Hasn't the review court overturned these kinds of things before?
Absolutely.  I'm assuming Man City has already filed with CAS over this.  I'm sure they'll receive arbitration and honestly I think that's why the 2 year ban.  I fully expect it'll be mediated down to a 1 year ban, but that still has big ramifications for Man City.

Absolutely.  I'm assuming Man City has already filed with CAS over this.  I'm sure they'll receive arbitration and honestly I think that's why the 2 year ban.  I fully expect it'll be mediated down to a 1 year ban, but that still has big ramifications for Man City.
Very happy with this.  If you're gonna have ffp, you've gotta punish teams that flagrantly flaunt it.  City have done that, and City have been punished.

How the hell does PSG always get away with not having FFP violations...
There's some good background here --> https://twitter.com/GFFN/status/1228389365480591361

But the short answer from this guy is that PSG cooperated with CFCB whereas Man City was defiant.

I would also add that this penalty for Man City relates to the period 2012-2018.  The FFP break-even calculations work on a rolling 3 year basis. Neymar's transfer to PSG was 2017, Mbappe was 2018.  The purchase price is pro-rated over the term of the player contracts for purposes of FFP (probably 5 years).  Financial reporting is often up to a year in arrears.  Meaning,  the story on PSG's compliance with break-even rules has not yet been told, is still in the works.

FFP penalties are frequently appealed, but it helps not to confuse them with EUFA penalties on youth transfer rule violations - such as cases that resulted in complete or partial reversals in recent years with Real Madrid, Chelsea, Atletico and Barca.  This is an FFP ruling by the CFCB.  My impression is the clubs have had much less luck appealing FFP penalties.  City and PSG both reached settlements regarding FFP violations while appeals were pending in 2014.  This one certainly will also be appealed.  The question is whether they can get the penalty stayed pending appeal.

FFP penalties are frequently appealed, but it helps not to confuse them with EUFA penalties on youth transfer rule violations - such as cases that resulted in complete or partial reversals in recent years with Real Madrid, Chelsea, Atletico and Barca.  This is an FFP ruling by the CFCB.  My impression is the clubs have had much less luck appealing FFP penalties.  City and PSG both reached settlements regarding FFP violations while appeals were pending in 2014.  This one certainly will also be appealed.  The question is whether they can get the penalty stayed pending appeal.
Yes and a 2-year ban means that UEFA found some significant wrongdoing.  That's a ban that will take Man City down to the level of Everton.  

It will be appealed and I think most people tend to think it will get reduced to 1 season, but that's in my opinion a best-case scenario.  In the end, UEFA makes the rules and UEFA enforces their rules.  I remember when the NCAA dropped the hammer on Alabama 15 years ago, we knew an appeal might happen, but when the ban is that harsh, you know an appeal isn't going to do much and that you were caught red-handed.

I expect City to throw lawyers and money at the situation...but in the meantime they are going to have a hard time holding onto Pep and some of their elite players.  And new players certainly won't be coming in.

There's also reports of possible point deductions in the EPL for City.  The race for European spots just got a lot more interesting.  City is banned from both CL and Europa.  If they deduct points too, then we are talking 2 spots open in CL and all of Europa.

There's also reports of possible point deductions in the EPL for City.  The race for European spots just got a lot more interesting.  City is banned from both CL and Europa.  If they deduct points too, then we are talking 2 spots open in CL and all of Europa.
I don't understand.  What does deducting points have to do with the standings for Europe? 

If Man City is banned, it is basically like they don't even exist in the table, whether they have 100 points or 0 points, in terms of Europe.

I don't understand.  What does deducting points have to do with the standings for Europe? 

If Man City is banned, it is basically like they don't even exist in the table, whether they have 100 points or 0 points, in terms of Europe.
:wall:  yup, you are right, overthinking it.  Got caught up in thinking about both separately..

@shaderare you going to the Nashville home opener?  I read today they passed 40k in ticket sales and hope to hit 50k by game day.
I think so.  Although I live 45 minutes away from the stadium and me and some friends have been questioning whether we should go to game 2 as it will be half th a price and we can get good tickets. And Atlanta will probably destroy us

Sheffield United in Champions League play next year to me would be as nearly astounding as Leicester City winning the league.

And speaking of newly promoted teams....Norwich City gonna get it done today, just a hunch.

Users who are viewing this thread