What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (4 Viewers)

I liked Season 1 and found myself idly daydreaming, as most of you know that I am wont to do, if the EFL required supporter ownership, what would be Sunderland's natural level?

Italian Government has banned Supporters from all games do to the CoronaVirus outbreak until April 3rd. Lomabardy Region that calls Milan it's capital has been one of the hardest hit areas as well as most of North part of the country itself. Prime Minister Conte has suggested all sporting events either be postponed or played behind closed doors and many public gatherings canceled. Most schools in the Northern region were closed as well as business already. Public transit lines for the Trans are not even stopping in regions of Italy hit hardest by the virus either. Italy already has banned all travel to and from China and other Asian countries. The epicenter of the Virus since the outbreak outside of China is now in the Middle East. 

It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine!!!!!!!

Victor Wanyama

@VictorWanyama

I want to thank @SpursOfficial fans for all the support over these past years,we have shared great times together from finishing 2nd in EPL to reaching the champions league finals, I will always be grateful for having be able to play for @SpursOfficial #COYS

I hate to say it, but the term "Spursy" comes to mind here with Wanyama celebrating two runner-up trophies ...

Italian Government has banned Supporters from all games do to the CoronaVirus outbreak until April 3rd. Lomabardy Region that calls Milan it's capital has been one of the hardest hit areas as well as most of North part of the country itself. Prime Minister Conte has suggested all sporting events either be postponed or played behind closed doors and many public gatherings canceled. Most schools in the Northern region were closed as well as business already. Public transit lines for the Trans are not even stopping in regions of Italy hit hardest by the virus either. Italy already has banned all travel to and from China and other Asian countries. The epicenter of the Virus since the outbreak outside of China is now in the Middle East. 

It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine!!!!!!!
Two birds with one stone?  It should also cut down on the racism.

Speaking of Brazilians, saw news recently intimating that pele had become a shut-in over his shame at his inability to walk well.

This MLS/ESPN+ TV deal is bull####.

Guess I’m going from watching almost every FC Cincinnati game to almost zero, unless my friend has an extra ticket for a home game. 

Maybe I’m cheap and selfish, but I don’t  see how cutting off local TV access to games is going to grow the league at all. 

Guess I’m going from watching almost every FC Cincinnati game to almost zero, unless my friend has an extra ticket for a home game. 

Maybe I’m cheap and selfish, but I don’t  see how cutting off local TV access to games is going to grow the league at all. 
Do you get WSTR?

I love ESPN+. If you like soccer it’s an amazing deal, IMO. 

Do you get WSTR?

I love ESPN+. If you like soccer it’s an amazing deal, IMO. 
Maybe my rage is Slightly misplaced...  I thought they had pretty much every game last year, and the opener last week for sure was not on the local channel, so I figured that was just how it was going to be with the ESPN+ deal.

My soccer watching has evolved from World Cup Only - to US NAT games to games with prominent US Nats playing overseas to today, which is best described as all of the above, FC Cincinnati, MLS playoffs, and casual watching of Premier League on whatever NBC channel is carrying it, if it is on when I  turn on the TV.

I’m  getting there, but I’m not ready to pay extra for it yet.

Thanks for the heads up though. I wouldn’t even have looked at the channel guide for it after not being able to watch last week.

Last edited by a moderator:

I might be mistaken but isn't Star64 a local channel in Cincy?  It looks like they are  broadcasting almost every game this year.

https://www.fccincinnati.com/broadcast-schedule

Edit: I think I see your confusion.  The ESPN+ package is for out of market games.  That package allows you to see games from all over the league but don't confuse it with local tv.  Local tv deals still exist in every city, including Cincy (I believe only LAFC has a streaming only deal with youtubetv). 

MLS has had a similar out of market package for many many years, mostly running it themselves and in recent years ESPN+ has taken it over.  You can read more about the switch over here if interested https://awfulannouncing.com/espn/espn-plus-mls-rights-mls-live.html

The rumor is that in the next TV deal (which starts in 2023) may change the idea of a local vs national paradigm but those are just rumors for now.

Equal parts laughing and sad emoji.

That's a crazy read, and crazy news that he's broke. Have to lol at one of the world's most recognizable faces pretending to not be Brazilian.
He's been broke for awhile. Was in trouble with Brazilian Government for tax fraud/Evasion I believe recently too. 

If you are in the market of the home team (Which I'm guessing is FC Cinncy) then you get blacked out. It's great for Out of Market fans who support the team. Overall its a tremendous deal. The Union this year are streaming matches for people in Market of the team for free this year on their official website. Not sure if other clubs are doing this. 

I might be mistaken but isn't Star64 a local channel in Cincy?  It looks like they are  broadcasting almost every game this year.

Edit: I think I see your confusion.  The ESPN+ package is for out of market games.  That package allows you to see games from all over the league but don't confuse it with local tv.  Local tv deals still exist in every city, including Cincy (I believe only LAFC has a streaming only deal with youtubetv). 

MLS has had a similar out of market package for many many years, mostly running it themselves and in recent years ESPN+ has taken it over.  You can read more about the switch over here if interested https://awfulannouncing.com/espn/espn-plus-mls-rights-mls-live.html

The rumor is that in the next TV deal (which starts in 2023) may change the idea of a local vs national paradigm but those are just rumors for now.
You are always on the ball with these things. 

AC Milan made it official with the firing of Zvonamir Boban from the club after his comments about Elliot (Owners of the club) and Club CEO Bald headed Dumbo #### Ivan Gazidis in the papers. Both Maldini/Boban/Ricky Massara are all pissed at Gazidis going behind their backs to try and get Ralf Ragnick (Who's rumored to be the Clubs next coach and in a more advanced newer role in Italian Futboll Sporting Director) without their approval or knowledge. A few tidbits from Boban's comments

*Lack of communication between all parties involved

* Lack of cooperation from Elliot and Gazidis with the Sporting director team

* Difference of opinion on Transfer strategy (Gazidis only wants young cheap players Boban/Maldini mix of youth and experience denied deals for Modric/Torrerea/Dani Olmo) 

* Eliiot/Gazidis not happy with hiring of Giampalo (Many Milan supporters and media believe this was Elliot/Gazidis choice and trying to save face)

* Gazidis wanting to American Sports salary camp the club to players earning 2M a year (All while he makes 4M a year in his role)

* Gazidis failure to get a better deal from Milan's biggest Sponsor Fly Emirates (Signed a lesser deal then previous and Lyon signed a better deal then Milan with them)

* Elliot backing of Gazidis and not fully cooperating as a team as a whole

* Boban feels disrespected by both owners and Gazidis. 

* Maldini could stay at the club in a lesser role but may chose to leave 

Yeah, I flipped out and thought the whole local package had gone away from Star 64 because the first game (March 1) was definitely nowhere to be found on the channel guide and I’m pretty sure I checked the channel anyway with no luck. Then when i just saw ESPN+ on the internet that put me over the edge and I was stewing about it all week.

Looks like I’ll get to watch 2-1 defeats to my hearts content this season, lol.

Yeah, I flipped out and thought the whole local package had gone away from Star 64 because the first game (March 1) was definitely nowhere to be found on the channel guide and I’m pretty sure I checked the channel anyway with no luck.
I think you may have had bad luck in finding the first game.  I just checked the FC Cincy reddit page and all the local fans watched the first game on Star64.

You can also see the official tweet from FC Cincy on game day of where you could have watched the game.

https://twitter.com/fccincinnati/status/1234131442319417344?s=20

Was sad to see Josef sitting in a box at the game last night.

Nice to start the season considering all the injuries and squad changes.

The team has completely transformed itself since the inaugural season.  I completely trust the front office but it’s still crazy to see. 

It seems that Spurs run of good luck this season has finally come to an end - "Following assessment and examination by our medical team, we can confirm that Steven Bergwijn suffered a significant sprain to his left ankle during our match against Burnley."

I knew this season run had been too good to last.

AAABatteries said:
Was sad to see Josef sitting in a box at the game last night.

Nice to start the season considering all the injuries and squad changes.

The team has completely transformed itself since the inaugural season.  I completely trust the front office but it’s still crazy to see. 
I read a stat yesterday that showed DeBeor's first 50 (I think it was 50) game record is now better than Tata's.

Emmy has done a great job in Nagbe's place.  Pity seems a different player than last year when he was clearly still figuring the league out.  Barco continues to impress with his enormous work rate.

But it is REALlY hard to replace 30 goals for any team in any league.

One thing I have never understood about the MLS rules is why they don't have a season ending injury clause in the cap to allow DP's to be replaced.  If a DP (or any player really) goes down for an entire season, you should be able to replace him as if he did not exist salary wise.  Then just force the team to rebalance the following season when the hurt player comes back.

in the closing feel good segment of the news... (third tier is still impressive... 75yo!?)

An Egyptian bidding to become the oldest professional footballer ever scored on his debut - at the age of 75.

Ezzeldin Bahader needs to play two full games to qualify as an entry in the Guinness World Records book.

He started in impressive fashion, playing a full 90 minutes despite injury on Saturday for the October 6 team in the third tier of Egyptian football.

The father of four and grandfather of six scored from the penalty spot, whereupon he was mobbed by team-mates, as October 6 drew 1-1 with rivals Genius.

"I became the oldest professional footballer scoring a goal in an official game," he said afterwards.

"This is something that was achieved in the last minute of the game that I thought I wouldn't achieve. I was injured and all what I hoped for was to continue for the full 90 minutes and play the next game."

After the match, the youthful-looking Bahader posed for pictures with members of the opposition.

He must now play another full 90 minutes in a second game, which is due to take place on 21 March, to be officially recognised as the world's oldest footballer by Guinness World Records.

The existing record is claimed by Israel's Isaak Hayik, who was 73 years and 95 days old when he played in goal last year for lower-tier Israeli side Ironi Or Yehuda.

The forward, who has recently been battling a knee injury, used to play amateur football while he conducted his career as a civil engineering consultant and then a land cultivation expert.

In January, the Egyptian FA announced the registration of a septuagenarian player who had never previously appeared in professional football.

Having first started playing football in the streets of the Egyptian capital Cairo as a six-year-old, it was only seven decades later that he started to write to teams in the unlikely dream of joining a club.

Cairo-based October 6 were the club that took him, with an eye on getting their place in the record books.

"It is very good for Egypt to have someone in the Guinness Book of Records and for us to have him in the October 6 club," said club coach Ahmed Abdel Ghany.

"Honestly, we won't benefit from him 100% on the technical side but we rehabilitated him in the previous period so that he would be able to play the required 90 or 180 minutes (to qualify for the Guinness World Records book)."

Bahader has recently been training both with the club and at home with a personal trainer in a bid to make his mark.

Liverpool better not eff around @Everton and vs. Palace.  Get the wins and take the title down before the season is scrapped. Next game isn't until April 5th, which will be too late.

Should probably just put the kids out vs Atletico.  No chance the CL finishes.

It will be interesting to see how they reschedule - with the Euros this summer (or how that might be impacted).
My guess those not in Cup matches or Europe will try and play games during the week day. For Example if you play on Sat they'll have a match on Wed or Thurs depending if you play Sat/Sun. 

The Coppa Italia Final I know for a fact will be now played in Milan at San Siro (if it can be) in May do to the fact by that point Stadio Olympico given it is hosting Euro Matches will be UEFA owned depending on when they want the match. My guess also is the Coppa Italia matches get moved up as well. Not as much time between the matches. They got the 2nd leg of the Semis plus the finals. 

My question is how does this effect the Eruopean matches for clubs in Italy still in Europa/CL? Do they still play the matches in Italy without fans, move the matches to another country etc? 

Liverpool better not eff around @Everton and vs. Palace.  Get the wins and take the title down before the season is scrapped. Next game isn't until April 5th, which will be too late.

Should probably just put the kids out vs Atletico.  No chance the CL finishes.
Never hurts to get the young lads experience in Europe. Can really help their growth. 

My guess those not in Cup matches or Europe will try and play games during the week day. For Example if you play on Sat they'll have a match on Wed or Thurs depending if you play Sat/Sun. 

The Coppa Italia Final I know for a fact will be now played in Milan at San Siro (if it can be) in May do to the fact by that point Stadio Olympico given it is hosting Euro Matches will be UEFA owned depending on when they want the match. My guess also is the Coppa Italia matches get moved up as well. Not as much time between the matches. They got the 2nd leg of the Semis plus the finals. 

My question is how does this effect the Eruopean matches for clubs in Italy still in Europa/CL? Do they still play the matches in Italy without fans, move the matches to another country etc? 
Thought I read that Euro games still on.

Users who are viewing this thread