What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (4 Viewers)

PLEASE MAKE THAT HAPPEN IN EPL....
Shtick aside, that would be an awful thing to do to Liverpool fans. I think that the PL should and would award lfc a trophy, and I’d like to think I’d feel that way about any team that was up 25 points in the standings

Last edited by a moderator:
EPL not shutting down yet.

They just announced all games will be played this weekend in front of as many fans as want to come.
Packed stadiums as normal is a certainty, just like ours would all be filled for the NBA and NCAA games if they weren't cancelled and attendance was voluntary.

Really, really poor form by EPL/FA not to have been on top of this earlier this week at the latest.

I know its a difficult decision - but the science on this is all pointing in one direction, and has been for several weeks.

Leader on points will be awarded a title I think.  Liverpool is ridiculously ahead.
Not in my book.

It will go down as a lost season.  One where Liverpool started out as world-beaters, but crawled to the finish losing 4 of the last 6 matches, getting unceremoniously dumped out of FA Cup and CL, resulting in no trophies on the season.

Confirmed Cases

Daniele Rugani (Juventus)

Manolo Gabbiadini (Sampdoria)

Mikel Arteta (Arsenal Manager)

Evangelos Marinakis (Nottingham Forest & Olympiakos owner)

Calum Hudson-Odoi (Chelsea FC)

zero percent chance they play this weekend. 

Confirmed Cases

Daniele Rugani (Juventus)

Manolo Gabbiadini (Sampdoria)

Mikel Arteta (Arsenal Manager)

Evangelos Marinakis (Nottingham Forest & Olympiakos owner)

Calum Hudson-Odoi (Chelsea FC)

zero percent chance they play this weekend. 
I believe they mentioned 3 Leicester players as well, but may be just self-quarantine.

Sinn Fein said:
They really should be shutting down indefinitely. Irresponsible to keep going at this stage. 
All shtick aside, I agree 100% with this. Shut down for a month or so, re-assess, keep re-assessing until safe.

PL officially suspended until April 4.

UEFA postponed all Europa/CL matches - will have more details next week or so.

If I had to guess - Euro 2020 will move to 2021, and domestic leagues (and Champions/Europa Leagues) will be allowed to finish their seasons into the summer - conditions permitting.

I shouldn't laugh - but I like to laugh as a coping mechanism:

From twitter:

You know you’re in the #### when Wuhan FC thinks it’s better to be back home than be in Europe

Get French Football News @GFFN · 13h

FC Wuhan Zall have decided to quit their extended pre-season training camp in Spain & return to mainland China,

PL officially suspended until April 4.

UEFA postponed all Europa/CL matches - will have more details next week or so.

If I had to guess - Euro 2020 will move to 2021, and domestic leagues (and Champions/Europa Leagues) will be allowed to finish their seasons into the summer - conditions permitting.
I think this is what will happen. Too much riding on relegation/promotion to not finish the season if they can.

Just saw an interesting side issue that will play a role in how leagues ultimately make their season decisions - player contracts, and loans, expire on June 30.

If leagues are required to extend seasons into July, it would take a bit of legal contract work for many players - and for some, who have already signed a contract to leave for another team on July (i.e. they were out of contract at their current club) - those players would likely leave.

President Klopp:

I don’t think this is a moment where the thoughts of a football manager should be important, but I understand for our supporters they will want to hear from the team and I will front that.

First and foremost, all of us have to do whatever we can to protect one another. In society I mean. This should be the case all the time in life, but in this moment I think it matters more than ever.

I’ve said before that football always seems the most important of the least important things. Today, football and football matches really aren’t important at all.

Of course, we don’t want to play in front of an empty stadium and we don’t want games or competitions suspended, but if doing so helps one individual stay healthy - just one - we do it no questions asked.

If it’s a choice between football and the good of the wider society, it’s no contest. Really, it isn’t.

Today’s decision and announcement is being implemented with the motive of keeping people safe. Because of that we support it completely. We have seen members of teams we compete against become ill. This virus has shown that being involved in football offers no immunity. To our rival clubs and individuals who are affected and to those who later will become so, you are in our thoughts and prayers.

None of us know in this moment what the final outcome will be, but as a team we have to have belief that the authorities make decisions based on sound judgement and morality.

Yes, I am the manager of this team and club and therefore carry a leadership responsibility with regards to our future on the pitch. But I think in the present moment, with so many people around our city, the region, the country and the world facing anxiety and uncertainty, it would be entirely wrong to speak about anything other than advising people to follow expert advice and look after themselves and each other.

The message from the team to our supporters is only about your well-being. Put your health first. Don’t take any risk. Think about the vulnerable in our society and act where possible with compassion for them.

Please look after yourselves and look out for each other.

You’ll Never Walk Alone,
Jürgen

(p.s. he knows Liverpool are not going to get the title now, but credit where it is due - very good message from Klopp and Liverpool on the bigger picture)

Sounds like the only league left playing is the Bundasliga.... although they did cancel Monday Night's game.  

Oddly they cancelled my Sunday League games this week.  We always play behind closed doors though.

Just saw an interesting side issue that will play a role in how leagues ultimately make their season decisions - player contracts, and loans, expire on June 30.

If leagues are required to extend seasons into July, it would take a bit of legal contract work for many players - and for some, who have already signed a contract to leave for another team on July (i.e. they were out of contract at their current club) - those players would likely leave.
I would hope this will all be discussed on Tuesday in their conference call.  Supporting lower leagues, extending the season, moving Euros, Contracts and player movement, transfer windows.

President Klopp:

I don’t think this is a moment where the thoughts of a football manager should be important, but I understand for our supporters they will want to hear from the team and I will front that.

First and foremost, all of us have to do whatever we can to protect one another. In society I mean. This should be the case all the time in life, but in this moment I think it matters more than ever.

I’ve said before that football always seems the most important of the least important things. Today, football and football matches really aren’t important at all.

Of course, we don’t want to play in front of an empty stadium and we don’t want games or competitions suspended, but if doing so helps one individual stay healthy - just one - we do it no questions asked.

If it’s a choice between football and the good of the wider society, it’s no contest. Really, it isn’t.

Today’s decision and announcement is being implemented with the motive of keeping people safe. Because of that we support it completely. We have seen members of teams we compete against become ill. This virus has shown that being involved in football offers no immunity. To our rival clubs and individuals who are affected and to those who later will become so, you are in our thoughts and prayers.

None of us know in this moment what the final outcome will be, but as a team we have to have belief that the authorities make decisions based on sound judgement and morality.

Yes, I am the manager of this team and club and therefore carry a leadership responsibility with regards to our future on the pitch. But I think in the present moment, with so many people around our city, the region, the country and the world facing anxiety and uncertainty, it would be entirely wrong to speak about anything other than advising people to follow expert advice and look after themselves and each other.

The message from the team to our supporters is only about your well-being. Put your health first. Don’t take any risk. Think about the vulnerable in our society and act where possible with compassion for them.

Please look after yourselves and look out for each other.

You’ll Never Walk Alone,
Jürgen

(p.s. he knows Liverpool are not going to get the title now, but credit where it is due - very good message from Klopp and Liverpool on the bigger picture)
Who's he addressing?  Those "####### idiots"?

FA chairman Greg Clarke has reportedly told the Premier League that he does not believe that the domestic football season will be completed due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Clarke was present at the emergency Premier League meeting in London on Thursday, with the Premier League, EFL, FA Women's Super League and Women's Championship all suspended until April 3 following the briefing.

And according to the Times, Clarke said he did not think it was "feasible" that the season would be completed, with government guidance suggesting that the coronavirus will not peak in the UK until around mid-June.

Obviously too early to tell how the virus will impact the UK, and the timing, but its not looking good at this point.

FA chairman Greg Clarke has reportedly told the Premier League that he does not believe that the domestic football season will be completed due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Clarke was present at the emergency Premier League meeting in London on Thursday, with the Premier League, EFL, FA Women's Super League and Women's Championship all suspended until April 3 following the briefing.

And according to the Times, Clarke said he did not think it was "feasible" that the season would be completed, with government guidance suggesting that the coronavirus will not peak in the UK until around mid-June.

Obviously too early to tell how the virus will impact the UK, and the timing, but its not looking good at this point.
Was just reading an article on that and how much money they could lose not only if the season ends now but even a shortened season (only play a few of the remaining).  Biggest issue is the TV rights and the guaranteed amount of games.  It will be an interesting fight between the leagues and tv since its bigger then both and kinda out of their hands.

And yes I know this is bigger then money and sport, etc.  There will be a lot of fighting after the fact when this is over.  If/When?

Was just reading an article on that and how much money they could lose not only if the season ends now but even a shortened season (only play a few of the remaining).  Biggest issue is the TV rights and the guaranteed amount of games.  It will be an interesting fight between the leagues and tv since its bigger then both and kinda out of their hands.

And yes I know this is bigger then money and sport, etc.  There will be a lot of fighting after the fact when this is over.  If/When?
Yeah - this is the same issue that confronted all the leagues.

I think the NCAA had the biggest call to make - in cancelling their entire revenue stream.

There is definitely going to be a monetary hit - the question will be who takes the brunt of it.  

Yeah - this is the same issue that confronted all the leagues.

I think the NCAA had the biggest call to make - in cancelling their entire revenue stream.

There is definitely going to be a monetary hit - the question will be who takes the brunt of it.  
True.  Not to mention how easily it will get worked out....

Users who are viewing this thread