Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Ramsay Hunt Experience

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread***

Recommended Posts

MLS and European football are finally on the same schedule!

  • Like 3
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This would be monumentally stupid for every one involved.   I can't believe the league and players had the easiest CBA ever, all to see it possibly flushed down the drain in the worst way.

==================

herculez gomez

@herculezg

I’m hearing @MLS has given @MLSPA till Tuesday noon to accept their final proposal. If they refuse the players would be locked out. I reached out to a high ranking official within the league who respectfully declined to comment

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@OutfieldNYCFC: Just to sum up where we're at, MLS owners are threatening to lock out players who are aren't allowed inside their New York facility in the first place, players are boycotting practice they never had to go to, and the fake season is a month away except it doesn't exist yet.

 

  • Like 2
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Serie A wil start fixtures on June 22. The Coppa Italia will be played two weeks before that starting June 12th with the final the following week. Inter and AC Milan were both unhappy with this decision. Milan's Paolo Scaroni was hoping they could be played in August. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Taylor Twellman

While things were very intense over the last few days, there has been a major breakthrough between the @MLSPA and @MLS league office. “Cautiously optimistic” as 1 more detail is being discussed and pending the new agreement/CBA being ratified, a lockout should be avoided.

=======================

Jeff Carlisle

Multiple sources tell me that #MLS owners have backed down on having force majeure tied to attendance. Will now look like NBA version. That is a major obstacle overcome

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

Taylor Twellman

While things were very intense over the last few days, there has been a major breakthrough between the @MLSPA and @MLS league office. “Cautiously optimistic” as 1 more detail is being discussed and pending the new agreement/CBA being ratified, a lockout should be avoided.

=======================

Jeff Carlisle

Multiple sources tell me that #MLS owners have backed down on having force majeure tied to attendance. Will now look like NBA version. That is a major obstacle overcome

I assume the NBA version involves S Korean sex dolls?

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thank god.  If this went badly, it would have done irreparable harm to domestic soccer's future in the US

================================

Paul Tenorio

@PaulTenorio

MLS is coming back. The MLSPA approved a return-to-play plan in Orlando. A new CBA has been agreed to and ratified.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, this escalated quickly

Sky Sports News

@SkySportsNews

·

2m

Chelsea have now agreed a deal in principle to sign Timo Werner from RB Leipzig.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, guru_007 said:

Well, this escalated quickly

Sky Sports News

@SkySportsNews

·

2m

Chelsea have now agreed a deal in principle to sign Timo Werner from RB Leipzig.

I assume that Abraham and Werner wouldn't really be effective on the field together at the same time?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read Abraham's contract expires the end of this year.  Kind of feel the writing may be on the wall there, although Chelsea do loan out a #### ton of players any way.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, guru_007 said:

Well, this escalated quickly

Sky Sports News

@SkySportsNews

·

2m

Chelsea have now agreed a deal in principle to sign Timo Werner from RB Leipzig.

Pretty surprising.  He's talked about wanting to go to LFC for a long time.  But LFC never really made an offer, and I think he's getting a huge contract.  Great acquisition for Chelsea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, shader said:

Pretty surprising.  He's talked about wanting to go to LFC for a long time.  But LFC never really made an offer, and I think he's getting a huge contract.  Great acquisition for Chelsea.

Liverpool seems like the perfect spot for him... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Jaysus said:

Liverpool seems like the perfect spot for him... 

Yeah, many LFC fans are very surprised right now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, guru_007 said:

I read Abraham's contract expires the end of this year.  Kind of feel the writing may be on the wall there, although Chelsea do loan out a #### ton of players any way.

I think Abraham has 2 years left.   I'm not aware of any loan players at that position that are anywhere near the 1st team quality.  They are almost certainly losing Giroud and Batshuyai, so don't have a second striker on the team for next year.  It's no surprise Chelsea are looking for a top forward.  That said, its still just a rumor in my opinion, nothing to get excited about one way or the other yet.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, shader said:

Pretty surprising.  He's talked about wanting to go to LFC for a long time.  But LFC never really made an offer, and I think he's getting a huge contract.  Great acquisition for Chelsea.

Big win for the Blues. I thought he was certainly going to Liverpool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

I think Abraham has 2 years left.   I'm not aware of any loan players at that position that are anywhere near the 1st team quality.  They are almost certainly losing Giroud and Batshuyai, so don't have a second striker on the team for next year.  It's no surprise Chelsea are looking for a top forward.  That said, its still just a rumor in my opinion, nothing to get excited about one way or the other yet.

 

Werner is not really a lone 9 anyway - he works very well on either side of a front 3 behind a striker... like Tammy!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The sporting director at LFC is Michael Edwards, who has gained someone of a cult following among lfc fans.  Not only does it seem like LFC hit home runs with almost every transfer, he gets great deals both buying and selling.  Every once in awhile he pays full market value (VVD/Allison) but usually that is not the case.

From what I've read about him, he (and the entire front office) are likely salivating at what could be a big buyers market.  The bundesliga is the only open league.  So it makes sense that to buy from there you'd need to pay full dollar.

In my opinion, that's why LFC backed out.  France is closed right now.  All the 2nd tier leagues in every country are likely hurting bigtime.  Even in the PL, every team has to pay back like 100 million...so there is going to be a lot of financial pain.  So I would imagine that Edwards and LFC are waiting to swoop in on some discounts.  Jumping out there and paying top dollar on Werner is not their style, especially when it's not necessarily a position of dire need.

But again...GREAT signing for Chelsea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, shader said:

From what I've read about him, he (and the entire front office) are likely salivating at what could be a big buyers market.

Seems like this should be true for all the big clubs.  Maybe Werner's release clause makes him affordable today, but there's probably some big bargains out there once things start to move in the transfer market.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NBA star and Brooklyn Net Kevin Durant has agreed to purchase a minority stake in the Philadelphia Union. He had talks with them several months ago. In the past KD has tried to purchase a stake in hometown Club DC United but without avail. He now owns a minority interest in DC Uniteds I95 Rival the Union

Durantula buys minority share in Philadelphia Union

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Serie A Coppa Italia Semi Finals will be played next Friday June 12 with the Final played on June 17 Wednesday. Serie A will resume on the 20th and 21st of this month 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fixture lists for the EPL is being confirmed.

6/17 the games in hand being played AV vs Sheffield, City v Arsenal

6/19 it all gets going, Norwich v Southampton and Tottenham v United on Friday night Football.

Looks like games almost every day though 7/2.  For now.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm looking for a good streaming option, since I cancelled Hulu when sports ended.  It looks like NBC Gold package is $9.99 through the end of the season - https://www.nbcsports.com/gold/premier-league.

Any thoughts on this?  I remember it being pretty complicated.  Will this give me all the games?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

I'm looking for a good streaming option, since I cancelled Hulu when sports ended.  It looks like NBC Gold package is $9.99 through the end of the season - https://www.nbcsports.com/gold/premier-league.

Any thoughts on this?  I remember it being pretty complicated.  Will this give me all the games?

 

 

I use it because I'm out in the field quite a bit and have to watch games on my laptop.  It's ok.  It'll get glitchy once in a while but for the most part it works pretty well as long as you have good internet.

It's a decent option if you don't have cable or satellite.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

I'm looking for a good streaming option, since I cancelled Hulu when sports ended.  It looks like NBC Gold package is $9.99 through the end of the season - https://www.nbcsports.com/gold/premier-league.

Any thoughts on this?  I remember it being pretty complicated.  Will this give me all the games?

 

 

If you're only looking for PL, yes, it has all the games. I use it because I kind of figured they wouldn't show Newcastle on one of the regular networks very often. Couple this with ESPN+ and you get a lot of soccer.

I will say the only thing to look into is whether or not they show the games being broadcast if you don't log in with an existing cable/satellite/YouTube/Sling or whatever account that has NBC channels. I assume they do but I have YouTube TV so never had to test it. Maybe @encaitarcan confirm.

Edited by McBokonon
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, McBokonon said:

If you're only looking for PL, yes, it has all the games. I use it because I kind of figured they wouldn't show Newcastle on one of the regular networks very often. Couple this with ESPN+ and you get a lot of soccer.

I will say the only thing to look into is whether or not they show the games being broadcast if you don't log in with an existing cable/satellite/YouTube/Sling or whatever account that has NBC channels. I assume they do but I have YouTube TV so never had to test it. Maybe @encaitarcan confirm.

I don't really know.  I haven't had any problems watching any games, even if they were on NBC or NBC Sports, but I have a cable package and they could've asked for my login... I don't remember.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd wait and see if most/all of the EPL games aren't shown on NBCSN on cable.  Since they're staggered in a way where only one game is happening at a time you might not need a streaming service.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Griezmann tells Barca he wants to retire in MLS. Floppo tells Antoine to #### off.

  • Laughing 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Part of this is right thread, part isnt, but just got word my Tuesday night indoor league may be starting up at the end of the month.  Both excited and nervous. 

On one hand, damn do I need to get out and play, so badly need to work off this quarantine 15..... and fully expect to not be able to move for a few days after.

But on the other, just saw a report that Covid cases are on the rise again and it will be 2 weeks before the effects of the protests start.

Anyway, SOCCER LOOKS TO BE BACK!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Old but cool news. THere's a leak of a blackout kit by Puma for all three of Borussa Dortmund, Man City and AC Milan. I've always liked blacked kits so this might be one I buy 

Rumored leaked Balr 20 PUMA kits for Milan, Man City and Dortmund

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/5/2020 at 11:16 AM, El Floppo said:

Griezmann tells Barca he wants to retire in MLS. Floppo tells Antoine to #### off.

Griezmann to Austin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, bentley said:

Griezmann to Austin.

I'm sure he'll help you win MLS Cup 2028.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/11/2020 at 9:12 AM, Mjolnirs said:

A little overview of the Bundesliga with games starting this weekend.
<snip>
This mathematically puts 13 teams within striking distance of the title.

Here are the top 5, those within 10 points of the top:


Bayern München     17-4-4  55    73-26  +47  still alive in Champions League and DFB Pokal  (if any of those get played)
Borussia Dortmund  15-6-4  51    68-33  +35  still alive in Champions League
RB Leipzig         14-8-3  50    62-26  +36  still alive in Champions League
Mönchengladbach    15-4-6  49    49-30  +19
Bayer Leverkusen   14-5-6  47    45-30  +15  still alive in Europa League and DFB Pokal

<snip>

5 of the 9 weeks have been played.  Bayern has gotten 15 of 15 points, Dortmund 12 and Leipzig 9.
Gladbach and Leverkusen are no longer mathematically alive.
 

Bayern   22- 4- 4  70  90-30  +60
Dortmund 19- 6- 5  63  81-35  +46
Leipzig  16-11- 3  59  75-32  +43

Two wins in the next four matches and Bayern clinches.  They could clinch this weekend with a win and a Dortmund loss.

On the other end of the spectrum, Werder Bremen are currently 17th and in serious danger of relegation.  They have been in Bundesliga 1 since 1981.

Also, Lewandowski is sitting on 30 goals in league play, Der Bomber's record is 40.  With four matches to go, it is within reach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If You are a big fan of Calcio (As I know @El Floppo and Serie B are) Calcio Podcast with Milan Fan Matteo Bonetti and Kay Watson is a must listen. Patron is also great as Matteo is doing scouting reports now on top Serie A Players and youngsters. Tonali is a must as well as the Theo Hernandez one which has a very interesting personal tale with his brother Lucas involving their relationship with their dad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/7/2020 at 11:49 PM, bentley said:

Griezmann to Austin.

You're too late my friend. Already heard Kevin Durant is already in the midst of recruiting him to the Union....... 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A Union Fan can day dream right? :shrug:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some shocking news as Samu Castillejo has posted on Instagram that he has been robbed at gunpoint by two men.

It's reported the thieves stole his watch but thankfully it appears Castillejo was unharmed during the incident.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the grand tradition of American soccer, the Austin supporters have split ten months before the first match. All the cool kids are in Los Verdes now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bayern v Eintracht Frankfurt on ESPN, DFB Pokal semi-final match.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is just ridiculous and I don't think their youth academy gets the credit it deserves when talking amongst the best. Also they have a Keeper who was in the Union Academy names Carlos Dos Santos who signed with them in 2016 I forgot about who's on the US U23s

Benfica Academy graduates the Last 6 years could compete as a starting IX against anyone

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope the rest of you are enjoying La Liga playing every day right now :thumbup: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Slapdash said:

I hope the rest of you are enjoying La Liga playing every day right now :thumbup: 

I would have enjoyed it more if Atleti got 3 points at San Mames the other day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's no denying the massive admiration one has to have for Marcus Rashford's and his campaign against poverty and child hunger.  Huge respect for this young man.

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CletiusMaximus said:

There's no denying the massive admiration one has to have for Marcus Rashford's and his campaign against poverty and child hunger.  Huge respect for this young man.

 

Top class!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Z Machine said:

I would have enjoyed it more if Atleti got 3 points at San Mames the other day.

Only watched the first half of that one, what a lovely assist from Koke. Your boys are in a fight for the CL spot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone heard from @NewlyRetired?

He is usually a daily contributor to the soccer threads and it’s been a while since he posted. 

  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Slapdash said:

Only watched the first half of that one, what a lovely assist from Koke. Your boys are in a fight for the CL spot.

Might actually be easier to win CL than get 4th this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Z Machine said:

Might actually be easier to win CL than get 4th this season.

Yeah, if it resumes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   1 member