What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Soccer Discussion Thread*** (5 Viewers)

This would be monumentally stupid for every one involved.   I can't believe the league and players had the easiest CBA ever, all to see it possibly flushed down the drain in the worst way.

==================

herculez gomez

@herculezg

I’m hearing @MLS has given @MLSPA till Tuesday noon to accept their final proposal. If they refuse the players would be locked out. I reached out to a high ranking official within the league who respectfully declined to comment

@OutfieldNYCFC: Just to sum up where we're at, MLS owners are threatening to lock out players who are aren't allowed inside their New York facility in the first place, players are boycotting practice they never had to go to, and the fake season is a month away except it doesn't exist yet.

Serie A wil start fixtures on June 22. The Coppa Italia will be played two weeks before that starting June 12th with the final the following week. Inter and AC Milan were both unhappy with this decision. Milan's Paolo Scaroni was hoping they could be played in August. 

Taylor Twellman

While things were very intense over the last few days, there has been a major breakthrough between the @MLSPA and @MLS league office. “Cautiously optimistic” as 1 more detail is being discussed and pending the new agreement/CBA being ratified, a lockout should be avoided.

=======================

Jeff Carlisle

Multiple sources tell me that #MLS owners have backed down on having force majeure tied to attendance. Will now look like NBA version. That is a major obstacle overcome

Taylor Twellman

While things were very intense over the last few days, there has been a major breakthrough between the @MLSPA and @MLS league office. “Cautiously optimistic” as 1 more detail is being discussed and pending the new agreement/CBA being ratified, a lockout should be avoided.

=======================

Jeff Carlisle

Multiple sources tell me that #MLS owners have backed down on having force majeure tied to attendance. Will now look like NBA version. That is a major obstacle overcome
I assume the NBA version involves S Korean sex dolls?

thank god.  If this went badly, it would have done irreparable harm to domestic soccer's future in the US

================================

Paul Tenorio

@PaulTenorio

MLS is coming back. The MLSPA approved a return-to-play plan in Orlando. A new CBA has been agreed to and ratified.

Well, this escalated quickly

Sky Sports News

@SkySportsNews

·

2m

Chelsea have now agreed a deal in principle to sign Timo Werner from RB Leipzig.

Sky Sports News

@SkySportsNews

·

2m

Chelsea have now agreed a deal in principle to sign Timo Werner from RB Leipzig.
I assume that Abraham and Werner wouldn't really be effective on the field together at the same time?

I read Abraham's contract expires the end of this year.  Kind of feel the writing may be on the wall there, although Chelsea do loan out a #### ton of players any way.

Sky Sports News

@SkySportsNews

·

2m

Pretty surprising.  He's talked about wanting to go to LFC for a long time.  But LFC never really made an offer, and I think he's getting a huge contract.  Great acquisition for Chelsea.

Pretty surprising.  He's talked about wanting to go to LFC for a long time.  But LFC never really made an offer, and I think he's getting a huge contract.  Great acquisition for Chelsea.
Liverpool seems like the perfect spot for him... 

I read Abraham's contract expires the end of this year.  Kind of feel the writing may be on the wall there, although Chelsea do loan out a #### ton of players any way.
I think Abraham has 2 years left.   I'm not aware of any loan players at that position that are anywhere near the 1st team quality.  They are almost certainly losing Giroud and Batshuyai, so don't have a second striker on the team for next year.  It's no surprise Chelsea are looking for a top forward.  That said, its still just a rumor in my opinion, nothing to get excited about one way or the other yet.

Big win for the Blues. I thought he was certainly going to Liverpool.

CletiusMaximus said:
I think Abraham has 2 years left.   I'm not aware of any loan players at that position that are anywhere near the 1st team quality.  They are almost certainly losing Giroud and Batshuyai, so don't have a second striker on the team for next year.  It's no surprise Chelsea are looking for a top forward.  That said, its still just a rumor in my opinion, nothing to get excited about one way or the other yet.
Werner is not really a lone 9 anyway - he works very well on either side of a front 3 behind a striker... like Tammy!

The sporting director at LFC is Michael Edwards, who has gained someone of a cult following among lfc fans.  Not only does it seem like LFC hit home runs with almost every transfer, he gets great deals both buying and selling.  Every once in awhile he pays full market value (VVD/Allison) but usually that is not the case.

From what I've read about him, he (and the entire front office) are likely salivating at what could be a big buyers market.  The bundesliga is the only open league.  So it makes sense that to buy from there you'd need to pay full dollar.

In my opinion, that's why LFC backed out.  France is closed right now.  All the 2nd tier leagues in every country are likely hurting bigtime.  Even in the PL, every team has to pay back like 100 million...so there is going to be a lot of financial pain.  So I would imagine that Edwards and LFC are waiting to swoop in on some discounts.  Jumping out there and paying top dollar on Werner is not their style, especially when it's not necessarily a position of dire need.

But again...GREAT signing for Chelsea.

From what I've read about him, he (and the entire front office) are likely salivating at what could be a big buyers market.
Seems like this should be true for all the big clubs.  Maybe Werner's release clause makes him affordable today, but there's probably some big bargains out there once things start to move in the transfer market.

Serie A Coppa Italia Semi Finals will be played next Friday June 12 with the Final played on June 17 Wednesday. Serie A will resume on the 20th and 21st of this month 

I'm looking for a good streaming option, since I cancelled Hulu when sports ended.  It looks like NBC Gold package is $9.99 through the end of the season - https://www.nbcsports.com/gold/premier-league.

Any thoughts on this?  I remember it being pretty complicated.  Will this give me all the games?
I use it because I'm out in the field quite a bit and have to watch games on my laptop.  It's ok.  It'll get glitchy once in a while but for the most part it works pretty well as long as you have good internet.

It's a decent option if you don't have cable or satellite.

I'm looking for a good streaming option, since I cancelled Hulu when sports ended.  It looks like NBC Gold package is $9.99 through the end of the season - https://www.nbcsports.com/gold/premier-league.

Any thoughts on this?  I remember it being pretty complicated.  Will this give me all the games?
If you're only looking for PL, yes, it has all the games. I use it because I kind of figured they wouldn't show Newcastle on one of the regular networks very often. Couple this with ESPN+ and you get a lot of soccer.

I will say the only thing to look into is whether or not they show the games being broadcast if you don't log in with an existing cable/satellite/YouTube/Sling or whatever account that has NBC channels. I assume they do but I have YouTube TV so never had to test it. Maybe @encaitarcan confirm.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're only looking for PL, yes, it has all the games. I use it because I kind of figured they wouldn't show Newcastle on one of the regular networks very often. Couple this with ESPN+ and you get a lot of soccer.

I will say the only thing to look into is whether or not they show the games being broadcast if you don't log in with an existing cable/satellite/YouTube/Sling or whatever account that has NBC channels. I assume they do but I have YouTube TV so never had to test it. Maybe @encaitarcan confirm.
I don't really know.  I haven't had any problems watching any games, even if they were on NBC or NBC Sports, but I have a cable package and they could've asked for my login... I don't remember.

Part of this is right thread, part isnt, but just got word my Tuesday night indoor league may be starting up at the end of the month.  Both excited and nervous. 

On one hand, damn do I need to get out and play, so badly need to work off this quarantine 15..... and fully expect to not be able to move for a few days after.

But on the other, just saw a report that Covid cases are on the rise again and it will be 2 weeks before the effects of the protests start.

Anyway, SOCCER LOOKS TO BE BACK!

A little overview of the Bundesliga with games starting this weekend.
<snip>
This mathematically puts 13 teams within striking distance of the title.

Here are the top 5, those within 10 points of the top:

Bayern München 17-4-4 55 73-26 +47 still alive in Champions League and DFB Pokal (if any of those get played)
Borussia Dortmund 15-6-4 51 68-33 +35 still alive in Champions League
RB Leipzig 14-8-3 50 62-26 +36 still alive in Champions League
Mönchengladbach 15-4-6 49 49-30 +19
Bayer Leverkusen 14-5-6 47 45-30 +15 still alive in Europa League and DFB Pokal

<snip>
5 of the 9 weeks have been played.  Bayern has gotten 15 of 15 points, Dortmund 12 and Leipzig 9.
Gladbach and Leverkusen are no longer mathematically alive.

Bayern 22- 4- 4 70 90-30 +60
Dortmund 19- 6- 5 63 81-35 +46
Leipzig 16-11- 3 59 75-32 +43

Two wins in the next four matches and Bayern clinches.  They could clinch this weekend with a win and a Dortmund loss.

On the other end of the spectrum, Werder Bremen are currently 17th and in serious danger of relegation.  They have been in Bundesliga 1 since 1981.

Also, Lewandowski is sitting on 30 goals in league play, Der Bomber's record is 40.  With four matches to go, it is within reach.

If You are a big fan of Calcio (As I know @El Floppo and Serie B are) Calcio Podcast with Milan Fan Matteo Bonetti and Kay Watson is a must listen. Patron is also great as Matteo is doing scouting reports now on top Serie A Players and youngsters. Tonali is a must as well as the Theo Hernandez one which has a very interesting personal tale with his brother Lucas involving their relationship with their dad. 

Some shocking news as Samu Castillejo has posted on Instagram that he has been robbed at gunpoint by two men.

It's reported the thieves stole his watch but thankfully it appears Castillejo was unharmed during the incident.

Quarter-finals, semi-finals and the final will be played as a final eight straight knock-out tournament at the Estádio do Sport Lisboa e Benfica and the Estádio José Alvalade in Lisbon between 12 and 23 August 2020.

The remaining Round of 16 second-leg matches will be played on the 7/8 August, pending a decision on whether they will take place at the home team’s stadiums or in Portugal.

The Estádio do Dragão in Porto and the Estádio Dom Afonso Henriques in Guimarães will be added to Lisbon venues for the Round of 16, if necessary.

Quarter-finals will take place on 12/13/14/15 August, semi-finals on 18/19 August and the final at the Estádio do Sport Lisboa e Benfica on 23 August.

All remaining matches of the 2019/20 UEFA Champions League will kick-off at 21:00CET.

The draws for the 2019/20 UEFA Champions League quarter-finals and semi-finals will take place on 10 July 2020 at UEFA’s headquarters in Nyon and the exact match schedule will be communicated following such draw.

All quarter-final and semi-final matches will go to extra-time and penalty kicks in case of a draw at the end

Users who are viewing this thread