What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ran a 10k in June (1 Viewer)

Memphis Foundry

The King of Wishful Thinking
Staff member
WHERE DID THIS THREAD GO!?!one!1!!

Hi y'all -- sorry for the trouble.

I've been researching how to make our forums faster and more responsive over the last month. The performance of our forums, though never particularly speedy, had become uniformly slow with occasional unpredictable and excruciating delays. So I asked the folks at Invision Power, the forum software's authors, to dig in and make some recommendations on how we can speed the site up.

They recommended a number of infrastructure and settings changes which we've implemented in this upgrade. More performance upgrades will be coming when Invision releases their 4.0 version later this year. But their most significant recommendation -- more important than all the others combined -- was that we needed to archive and reopen the board's largest, most trafficked, and most loved threads.

There are fifteen threads that account for over 845,000 of the board's 13,000,000 posts and they've been viewed nearly 13,000,000 times. These threads have grown so large and they are loaded so often that their performance impact on the board can't be properly normalized. This is one of those fifteen threads.

For now, we've moved these threads to a new forum called Archived Topics to isolate them from the most heavily-trafficked forums -- the FFA and Shark Pool -- and preserved them so that they cannot be replied to, edited, or deleted. The original threads remain searchable, and I've added a link below to the original version of this topic. Over the next couple of weeks, these threads will be converted into archived threads by the Invision Board aoftware and moved back to their original forum. After archiving, they will remain searchable and browsable.

If you are the Original Poster of one of these threads, I encourage you to start a new topic to be version 2.0 of your thread and PM me with the link. I will merge this post into your new topic and leave it pinned for a few weeks.

Peace.
Ran a 10k in June:

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?/topic/302486-ran-a-10k-in-june/

Last edited by a moderator:
I vote SteveC starts the new thread.
It would be neat if someone starting the thread would enjoy editing the title based on our future exploits.
Here's what I propose:

1. Set up a dummy alias to start a new FFA Running & Triathlon Thread. Give the password to any regular poster here that wants it. That way several of us can update the thread title and first post.

2. Reserve the first post for some language about the culture of the thread, link to the old thread, links to the FBG race calendar and other goodies. Maybe a FAQ section too.

3. Edits to the thread title over time like "FFA Running & Triathlon Thread -- Good Luck Boston Runners!" or "FFA Running & Triathlon -- [enter name] sets a PR!"

Thoughts?

Just wanted to check in and let you guys know that my ablation surgery is scheduled for tomorrow. Hoping after a week or so I can get back to being a regular contributor around here. :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
I vote SteveC starts the new thread.
It would be neat if someone starting the thread would enjoy editing the title based on our future exploits.
Here's what I propose:

1. Set up a dummy alias to start a new FFA Running & Triathlon Thread. Give the password to any regular poster here that wants it. That way several of us can update the thread title and first post.

2. Reserve the first post for some language about the culture of the thread, link to the old thread, links to the FBG race calendar and other goodies. Maybe a FAQ section too.

3. Edits to the thread title over time like "FFA Running & Triathlon Thread -- Good Luck Boston Runners!" or "FFA Running & Triathlon -- [enter name] sets a PR!"

Thoughts?
I think that's a great idea.

There are fifteen threads that account for over 845,000 of the board's 13,000,000 posts and they've been viewed nearly 13,000,000 times. These threads have grown so large and they are loaded so often that their performance impact on the board can't be properly normalized. This is one of those fifteen threads.
Top 15! But they only give medals for the top 10. :kicksrock:

I recently started trying to get into some sort of shape and thought running is my best option. my problem is I like music when I run and I don't like having to carry my phone or have it strapped to my arm. so I went and bought a Samsung Gear S watch that can hold music files, has a GPS, and everything I need. Plus, it can pair with my Note 3, which was really nice.

the problem is that when I go running with it, the music is skipping every 1-2 seconds with my Bluetooth headphones. I tried it with my phone and it works perfectly. use the watch, it skips. I thought it was a watch issue so I returned the Gear S and bought an Adidas SmartRun watch. turns out it does the same thing only worse. another thing that is strange is that the watch/headphones work perfectly in the house/garage but when I get halfway down my driveway, it starts cutting out. I read something about Bluetooth working better when it has walls to bounce off of but have no idea if this is right.

I did some reading and turns out the Bluetooth must be really weak with the watches. I'm not an expert on Bluetooth but apparently the phone can put out a stronger signal than a watch? I usually have my watch on my left wrist but receiver on the headphones is on my right ear. this is causing an issue, I guess. I have also read that clothing over the watch or headphones can cause problems, which would make running in the cold kind of unpleasant if I can't cover my ears. I am going to try it tonight with the watch on my right arm and see if it works better but I thought I'd pose the questions here:

has anyone had this problem and how did you resolve it? would better headphones work? mine were pretty expensive to start with. just wear your watch on the same side as the receiver? would a winter hat over the headphones and a sweatshirt over the watch cause enough interference with the Bluetooth? any Bluetooth experts in here?

I really don't want to go back to my phone strapped to my arm....

Users who are viewing this thread