Memphis Foundry

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition

7,811 posts in this topic

54 minutes ago, eoMMan said:

The red head in it plays the blue robot girl in Guardians of the Galaxy.

The more you know.

Karen Gillan  :wub::wub::wub:

1 person likes this

On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 0:11 PM, El Floppo said:

Huh.

It was an decent family film but comedy gold this wasn't. 

Agree to disagree. We all laughed pretty hard at this movie.

Jack Black alone is worth it.

Edited by Payne
1 person likes this

1 hour ago, wikkidpissah said:

I HATE Barbra Streisand with the heat of a dozen suns, but it does not stop me ranking Rain On My Parade as the greatest musical number staged for motion pictures. 

Ugh. Can't stand Barbara Striesand. I'll probably die before I recover from watching scenes from Yentl.

1 person likes this

42 minutes ago, Payne said:

Agree to disagree. We all laughed pretty hard at this movie.

Jack Black alone is worth it.

JB and The Rock are two of the most enjoyable comedy stars, so this movie worked.

2 people like this

Watched Gymkata and Samurai Cop last weekend. More laughs than most genuine comedies.

Looking like tonight will be 2 of:  Spinal Tap, Gremlins, Blood Simple, and The Last Starfighter.  

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, KarmaPolice said:

Looking like tonight will be 2 of:  Spinal Tap, Gremlins, Blood Simple, and The Last Starfighter.  

Tap and Blood... What a double feature.

3 people like this

2 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

Tap and Blood... What a double feature.

After posting this I saw that starfighter and Gremlins are due in a couple days, so I guess I will watch a KP's youth double feature.  

For 84 I was thinking that Spinal Tap and Stop Making Sense would make a great double feature.  

2 hours ago, jdoggydogg said:

Ugh. Can't stand Barbara Striesand. I'll probably die before I recover from watching scenes from Yentl.

You mean like when her modern New York accent slipped into her lines? Yes, that was bad.:X

1 person likes this

10 minutes ago, Mr. Mojo said:

You mean like when her modern New York accent slipped into her lines? Yes, that was bad.:X

"Oy, father. Again with the Bronx cheer? I'm all verklempt, you hump."

Watching  I Vitelloni, only other Fellini movie I’ve seen is La Strada. There’s something oddly alluring about these movies. I’m going to have to watch more. 

1 person likes this

33 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

Watching  I Vitelloni, only other Fellini movie I’ve seen is La Strada. There’s something oddly alluring about these movies. I’m going to have to watch more. 

I've seen a ton of movies, but somehow I've never seen a Fellini movie :bag:

1 hour ago, jdoggydogg said:

I've seen a ton of movies, but somehow I've never seen a Fellini movie :bag:

A most odd blend of realism and fairy tale 

Edited by Ilov80s
1 person likes this

11 hours ago, jdoggydogg said:

Watched Gymkata 

Gymkata! The skill of gymnastics, the kill of karate.

Haven't seen it. 

3 people like this

2 hours ago, leftcoastguy7 said:

Gymkata! The skill of gymnastics, the kill of karate.

Haven't seen it. 

Dude, Gymkata is so good it'll kick your #### off.

1 person likes this

Dude, Gymkata is so good it'll kick your #### off.

It’s awesome.  Great gig for Kurt Thomas.  Launched his acting career iirc.

2 people like this

5 hours ago, Osaurus said:

It’s awesome.  Great gig for Kurt Thomas.  Launched his acting career iirc.

If by "launched" you mean two more movies and done, then yeah:

Actor (3 credits)

Slam 
Manager Slam

Circus (TV Movie) 
Josh

Gymkata 
Jonathan Cabot

2 people like this

12 minutes ago, jdoggydogg said:

If by "launched" you mean two more movies and done, then yeah:

Actor (3 credits)

Slam 
Manager Slam

Circus (TV Movie) 
Josh

Gymkata 
Jonathan Cabot

That’s precisely what I meant ;)

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Osaurus said:

That’s precisely what I meant ;)

Hard to believe he didn't get tons of offers after his fine acting in Gymkata :)

Just now, jdoggydogg said:

Hard to believe he didn't get tons of offers after his fine acting in Gymkata :)

I know, right?  His natural ability to act and physical prowess made him The Rock of his time.

1 person likes this

Being John Malkovich was on cable today.

I never understood the high praise for this piece of crap. Not funny, tries too hard to be odd, unlikable characters and the ending just can't come soon enough. One of my least favorite films.

18 minutes ago, Mr. Mojo said:

I never understood the high praise for this piece of crap. Not funny, tries too hard to be odd, unlikable characters and the ending just can't come soon enough. One of my least favorite films.

My movie enjoyment skyrocketed when I stopped caring if the characters were likable. The one thing I'll say in defense of this and other avant garde movies is they aren't trying to be odd. Directors like Wes Anderson, Spike Jonze and PT Anderson have a sensibility that appeals to them, so their work reflects their taste. It's not showing off, it's in them and they need to express that.

2 people like this

Apologies if this movie has been mentioned. I ran a search in this thread and nothing came back.

Singularity 2017

This movie is available for streaming on Netflix and has John Cusack in it. Since I'm a sucker for post-apocalyptic scenarios, I gave it a shot. It might possibly be the worst movie I've ever seen in my life. And I've seen both The Happening and Last Jedi (;)).

The writing, direction, cinematography, acting, dialogue... all unimaginably dreadful. It is absolutely astonishing this film ever got released in this state. George Lucas could have crapped out a trilogy with nothing but Jar Jar Binks that would be better than this.

Final rating: If I could give this thing negative points, I would. Do yourself a favor and Do Not See This Movie. Trust me, please. I'd rather watch 20 seasons of "Disney Presents: The Not-Quite Star Wars Misadventures of Finn and Rose" before ever viewing this abomination again.

Edited by -arcK-
Edit: Spread the word. Save your friends and family from the torture.

2 hours ago, Mr. Mojo said:

Did you like Her or Adaptation?

My movie enjoyment skyrocketed when I stopped caring if the characters were likable. The one thing I'll say in defense of this and other avant garde movies is they aren't trying to be odd. Directors like Wes Anderson, Spike Jonze and PT Anderson have a sensibility that appeals to them, so their work reflects their taste. It's not showing off, it's in them and they need to express that.

Agreed. If I cared about likeable characters on It's Always Sunny, the show would be unwatchable.

1 person likes this

31 minutes ago, -arcK- said:

Agreed. If I cared about likeable characters on It's Always Sunny, the show would be unwatchable.

I mean, I get the concept.

Watch The Doors or Pollock, and the lead characters are such complete #####, you wonder why anyone would want to make a movie about them. 

5 hours ago, jdoggydogg said:

Agree on both fronts.  So many popular and great movie are filled with mostly unlikeable characters.  Sometimes I misspeak and cite that as a criticism, but I think what I am trying to say is that they aren't relatable or 0 of their motivations are conveyed onscreen.  

Besides Rushmore, I can't click at all with a Wes Anderson movie, but like you said I find it very hard to believe that somebody would waste all that time and money to make something just to try to be cool or look odd.  People just see the world differently and express those views differently.  Same with people who like said forms movies - it grinds my gears when people write off somebody's love for a movie as them trying to be smart or different.  Something just clicks with them and the movie in a way it doesn't for me - that's cool.  

4 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

Did you like Her or Adaptation?

I didn't see Adaptation.

I thought that Her was good, but not great. It also seemed overpraised to me.

42 minutes ago, KarmaPolice said:

Agree on both fronts.  So many popular and great movie are filled with mostly unlikeable characters.  Sometimes I misspeak and cite that as a criticism, but I think what I am trying to say is that they aren't relatable or 0 of their motivations are conveyed onscreen.  

Besides Rushmore, I can't click at all with a Wes Anderson movie, but like you said I find it very hard to believe that somebody would waste all that time and money to make something just to try to be cool or look odd.  People just see the world differently and express those views differently.  Same with people who like said forms movies - it grinds my gears when people write off somebody's love for a movie as them trying to be smart or different.  Something just clicks with them and the movie in a way it doesn't for me - that's cool.  

I didn't like Rushmore at all, but I did enjoy Grand Budapest and Moonrise Kingdom.

6 hours ago, jdoggydogg said:

For me, there are movies that I think the characters are unlikable but the story is still really interesting, so I like them. Example - Goodfellas.

Others, like nearly every PT Anderson film, where the characters seem to terminally unhappy and spend too much time screaming at each other, and the plot plods along, I don't like these films at all.

I find that if there is absolutely no emotional involvement with any of the characters, it feels like something is missing. Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

The genius of Groundhog Day never ceases to amaze.  I find something new every time.

2 people like this

8 hours ago, KarmaPolice said:

Yep.

Liking something because you hope it'll make you look cool is elementary school stuff.

7 hours ago, Mr. Mojo said:

For me, there are movies that I think the characters are unlikable but the story is still really interesting, so I like them. Example - Goodfellas.

Others, like nearly every PT Anderson film, where the characters seem to terminally unhappy and spend too much time screaming at each other, and the plot plods along, I don't like these films at all.

I find that if there is absolutely no emotional involvement with any of the characters, it feels like something is missing. Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

I wouldn't be happy if there were only PT Andrerson movies to watch. But I'm glad we have such a large variety of talent to enjoy.

I don't think I have ever cared much if characters in a film or book were likable. I am more concerned with them being interesting. I think of some of the great works of art- Romeo and Juliet and The Picture of Dorian Gray, etc- are filled with almost exclusively unlikable/unsympathetic people. 

Edited by Ilov80s

17 hours ago, Mr. Mojo said:

My favorite movie of the last 25 yrs

1 person likes this

5 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

My favorite movie of the last 25 yrs

I'll take "Things not surprising" for $200, Alex. :lol::pokey:

2 people like this

3 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

I don't think I have ever cared much if characters in a film or book were likable. I am more concerned with them being interesting. I think of some of the great works of art- Romeo and Juliet and The Picture of Dorian Gray, etc- are filled with almost exclusively unlikable/unsympathetic people. 

Exactly, and I am wiling to bet that a lot of people's favorite movies around these parts include gangster movies, Tarantino movies, and all sorts of movies like that where the characters are terrible people doing terrible things.  

4 hours ago, jdoggydogg said:

I wouldn't be happy if there were only PT Andrerson movies to watch.

Ok, now you've crossed the line.  ;)

1 person likes this