Memphis Foundry

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition

7,870 posts in this topic

Still dont get all the hate for Gone Girl. I thought it was one of the better movies of the year. Sure, the ending was a bit off, but at least it was different and didn't go the route of damn near every other movie.

I see another one of Flynn's books is coming out soon too.

It was a very good film and I really had no problem with the ending. I thought it was nicely demonstrated that part of Affleck's enjoyed the celebrity status that came with the way events unfolded.

Are people bothered by the fact that he chose the route he did rather than

Not playing along with her scheme. Is it because you feel that if you were in that situation you would have kicked her ### to the curb and not let yourself be manipulated in that way?

Spoiler Alert:

I hate my control freak wife so much I want to divorce her

I hate her so much, I want to have an affair with someone else for 1.5 years

My wife frames me for murder so I can get the death penalty and is an elaborate schemer for revenge

My wife kills some guy by slitting his throat with a box cutter

My wife gets pregnant by someone else and implies that it's mine

My wife makes me a couple breakfasts and starts ordering me around again

Gee, let's stay together after all. :wub:

Yeah, that was an OK ending. :excited:

It was Affleck's kid, she froze his sperm

That change anything for you? Seems like a pretty big deal in regards to your critique.

Edited by Chaka

Still dont get all the hate for Gone Girl. I thought it was one of the better movies of the year. Sure, the ending was a bit off, but at least it was different and didn't go the route of damn near every other movie.

It was a very good film and I really had no problem with the ending. I thought it was nicely demonstrated that part of Affleck's enjoyed the celebrity status that came with the way events unfolded.

Not playing along with her scheme. Is it because you feel that if you were in that situation you would have kicked her ### to the curb and not let yourself be manipulated in that way?

Spoiler Alert:

My wife frames me for murder so I can get the death penalty and is an elaborate schemer for revenge

That change anything for you? Seems like a pretty big deal in regards to your critique.

It's not enough to stay with her. Paying child support is a more than reasonable option here and seems pretty obvious.

Spoiler Alert:

It's not enough to stay with her. Paying child support is a more than reasonable option here and seems pretty obvious.

seemed like he was taking the chance to grow up and care about somebody else more than himself; he knew that kid would be ####ed if it was just the psycho mom.

not saying I accept or agree with that stance- but I get it.

I don't get police just walking away from the other actual murder.

Spoiler Alert:

seemed like he was taking the chance to grow up and care about somebody else more than himself; he knew that kid would be ####ed if it was just the psycho mom.

I agree with you there.

I don't believe that any sane person with a choice (no one is threatening to kill them if they leave) would stay with someone who they already hate, knowing that any sleight to the person could result in calculated revenge as extreme as murder.

Spoiler Alert:

I agree with you there.

I don't believe that any sane person with a choice (no one is threatening to kill them if they leave) would stay with someone who they already hate, knowing that any sleight to the person could result in calculated revenge as extreme as murder.

So much for spoilers, I guess.

Again, it was his child and leaving it with psycho mom does not seem very realistic either. But I actually think that fact is beside the point. I think the intent was to demonstrate that Affleck's character begrudgingly admitted to himself that he did enjoy the celebrity that would come from with staying with her (struggling author and all) compared to the notoriety that would come from him leaving her. For the most part he was portrayed as a victim in the film (and in act 2 we find out it is of her sinister plot) but the character himself (absent the murder/kidnapping scenario) was a shallow and vain person who wanted to be a famous author but was likely too middling of a talent to achieve it. I think him staying is merely an acknowledgement that it was the best path to get what he really wanted in life (or at least it was the path of least resistance).

1 person likes this

Big Hero 6, very good kids movie. Thought penguins was funnier and BH6 isn't one of my favorites but it's a fun watch.

Spoiler Alert:

I agree with you there.

So much for spoilers, I guess.

Again, it was his child and leaving it with psycho mom does not seem very realistic either. But I actually think that fact is beside the point. I think the intent was to demonstrate that Affleck's character begrudgingly admitted to himself that he did enjoy the celebrity that would come from with staying with her (struggling author and all) compared to the notoriety that would come from him leaving her. For the most part he was portrayed as a victim in the film (and in act 2 we find out it is of her sinister plot) but the character himself (absent the murder/kidnapping scenario) was a shallow and vain person who wanted to be a famous author but was likely too middling of a talent to achieve it. I think him staying is merely an acknowledgement that it was the best path to get what he really wanted in life (or at least it was the path of least resistance).

I think that the consequence of living in fear every day overwhelms any worries about good or bad publicity. It also seems like selling his story to the media would make him famous and likely rich, anyway, without her.

I don't get why she wouldn't get a damn shower before going home.

Do we need to put out an APB on Jdogg? He hasn't posted in here yet and I am starting to worry that he may have decided to go down with the old RVMT - (RE).

noticed that as well.

also, will Krista come back in since we haven't talked tv yet?

Watched Taxi Driver, Scarface, and Gladiator the other day.

Taxi Driver is still an all-timer.

Gladiator is better and worse than i remember. Thought most of the movie was better than I thought, but the last 25mins or so ruins the mood for me.

Scarface is still a good watch, but think it holds up the least of the 3 I watched.

Foxcatcher:

I really liked the performances by Ruffalo and Tatum, but overall I thought the movie was quite boring and it took a bit of willpower to get through it.

1 person likes this

St Vincent.... enjoyed the payoff. 5.5/7

I don't get why she wouldn't get a damn shower before going home.

Drama

Do we need to put out an APB on Jdogg? He hasn't posted in here yet and I am starting to worry that he may have decided to go down with the old RVMT - (RE).

noticed that as well.

Was around in the Netflix thread yesterday.

BRONSON

interesting movie...violent along the same lines as Chopper and Clockwork orange...3 out of 5 stars

Gladiator is better and worse than i remember. Thought most of the movie was better than I thought, but the last 25mins or so ruins the mood for me.

Scarface is still a good watch, but think it holds up the least of the 3 I watched.

The soundtrack for Scarface is a real killer for replay value.

The soundtrack for Scarface is a real killer for replay value.

Giorgio Moroder was the composer. Cat People is probably his best movie score.

1 person likes this

I wasn't referring to the score but the song choices.

The Hunt

A man is falsely accused of molestation of a young girl. One of those movies where I felt just washed out at the end. It's sad and thought provoking and you can see just how quickly something can take on a life of it's own, also found myself angry at times too. Certainly not a feel good movie. It has an IMDB rating of 8.3.

4/5

I've been on a bit of a foreign movie run lately. I ride on a bus a lot and even with headphones I can't hear the commentary so I thought it was a good opportunity to watch some of the foreign movies I've been putting off. So far all have been excellent. I was wondering if anyone had some favorites themselves to suggest?

The Hunt

A man is falsely accused of molestation of a young girl. One of those movies where I felt just washed out at the end. It's sad and thought provoking and you can see just how quickly something can take on a life of it's own, also found myself angry at times too. Certainly not a feel good movie. It has an IMDB rating of 8.3.

4/5

I've been on a bit of a foreign movie run lately. I ride on a bus a lot and even with headphones I can't hear the commentary so I thought it was a good opportunity to watch some of the foreign movies I've been putting off. So far all have been excellent. I was wondering if anyone had some favorites themselves to suggest?

I watched this last year and thought it was an excellent film. Very powerful and highly frustrating stuff. I wanted to go back and read my review in the old thread but it appears that the archive forum where it is supposed to be is not a real thing so I can't. I hope they fix that, it would be a bummer to have lost the whole thing.

The Hunt

4/5

such a loaded question. So many good ones, and without knowing what you have seen. Must see ones off the top of my head:

Downfall

The Lives of Others

Pans Labyrinth

Infernal Affairs

Ameros Perros (sp?)

Oldboy

Chaser

Timecrimes

Mother

if you like horror movies:

Audition

Let the Right One In

The Orphanage

A Tale of Two Sisters

[Rec]

1 person likes this

The Hunt

4/5

I watched this last year and thought it was an excellent film. Very powerful and highly frustrating stuff. I wanted to go back and read my review in the old thread but it appears that the archive forum where it is supposed to be is not a real thing so I can't. I hope they fix that, it would be a bummer to have lost the whole thing.

yes it would. That thread was one of the best on the boards.

The Hunt

4/5

such a loaded question. So many good ones, and without knowing what you have seen. Must see ones off the top of my head:

Downfall

The Lives of Others

Pans Labyrinth

Infernal Affairs

Ameros Perros (sp?)

Oldboy

Chaser

Timecrimes

Mother

Audition

Let the Right One In

The Orphanage

A Tale of Two Sisters

[Rec]

Those are excellent recommendations.

As a fan of del Toro I also really liked The Devil's Backbone

And of course we can't omit John Woo's action classic Hard Boiled (dozens of Hollywood big budget action films have ripped off Woo's style from this film).

The Hunt

4/5

Downfall

The Lives of Others

Pans Labyrinth

Infernal Affairs

Ameros Perros (sp?)

Oldboy

Chaser

Timecrimes

Mother

Audition

Let the Right One In

The Orphanage

A Tale of Two Sisters

[Rec]

I've seen the bolded and enjoyed all of them. Timecrimes has really stuck with me as one I really liked, but I am a sucker for time travel movies.

Not mentioned

District B13 (Silly but fun Luc Beeson action movie)

Tell No One

The Secret In Their Eyes

Abre Los Ojos

Ran/Kagemusha/Seven Samurai (The best of Akira Kurosawa)

Das Boot

Hero

Of the ones mentioned I really like Infernal Affairs but Downfall and The Orphanage are my two favorite movies of the 2000's.

With no Football or Baseball, and my daughter 16 and out and about like a normal Teenager I'm finding a lot more free time on Saturday & Sunday's to watch Movies on Netflix..

"Identity" 4 out of 5.. Kept me wondering, much like the characters.. "What the hell is going on :confused: " Worth the 90 minutes..

Trespass with Nicolas Cage & Nicole Kidman 3 out of 5. Up until the last 15 minutes I'd have given it a 4 out of 5, but felt the director/producer missed an opportunity or two to make this very good rather then just good.

Come Back to Me Boy.. this one is hard to judge.. Based on the viewing up until the explanation I had it 4 out of 5 as I was constantly wondering "what the hell???"

Then the entire premise of the movie changed and now I may have to re-watch it knowing what I know now..

So I think I'll give it a "Incomplete" until I find time to re-watch it..

Side Effects Torn on this one.. going to go 3.5 out of 5 just to mess with you all ;) ...

There are so many story lines going on with this one that it almost felt like 2 or 3 movies combined into one.. Just so much going on but felt it was worth the watch even if it felt "rushed" at times..

Last one..

Blitz and was the worse of the bunch.. 2 out of 5.. So many ways this movie could have been better, but in the end it had the "Been there done that" feeling.. Not worth your time in my opinion.

Edited by snogger

Good suggestions for foreign films. I'm sure most have seen it and just forgot to mention it, but: City of God

Good suggestions for foreign films. I'm sure most have seen it and just forgot to mention it, but: City of God

yikes. Yes, that was a glaring omission. A must see.

Not mentioned

Tell No One

The Secret In Their Eyes

Abre Los Ojos

Das Boot

Hero

Of the ones mentioned I really like Infernal Affairs but Downfall and The Orphanage are my two favorite movies of the 2000's.

very good list here too.

Also just remembered:

Talk to Her

The three colors trilogy

The Sea Inside

Diving Bell and the Butterfly

Volver

Open Your Eyes

Not mentioned

Tell No One

The Secret In Their Eyes

Abre Los Ojos

Das Boot

Hero

very good list here too.

Also just remembered:

Talk to Her

The three colors trilogy

The Sea Inside

Diving Bell and the Butterfly

Volver

Open Your Eyes

frikkin tIGHt 'also remembered' list

The Mockinjay Part 1

Surprisingly decent given how awful the source material was for this one.

The Mockinjay Part 1

Saw it last week. Admittedly I was waiting for the people in District 13 to all start dancing like the dirty hippies Zion in Matrix 2. Overall I liked it. Edited by Osaurus

The Mockinjay Part 1

I felt the same way about the 2nd one.

Hot Tub Time Machine 2

So dumb. I laughed. Not as good as the first but if you like that one, you'll still enjoy this one.

Finally got around to seeing Gone Girl last night. Or rather... a female brought it over so we could watch it together. I'm not sure if I should hang out with her anymore. That being said... It really was a good movie. Good enough for me to forget that Ben Affleck was in it.

:lmao:

If it helps.. My wife and I will be married 24 years this June and the first Movie we ever saw together was " Fatal Attraction" :mellow:

No joke... as I was walking her out she said that we should watch Fatal Attraction next.

:shock:

Finally got around to seeing Gone Girl last night. Or rather... a female brought it over so we could watch it together. I'm not sure if I should hang out with her anymore. That being said... It really was a good movie. Good enough for me to forget that Ben Affleck was in it.

:lmao:

If it helps.. My wife and I will be married 24 years this June and the first Movie we ever saw together was " Fatal Attraction" :mellow:

No joke... as I was walking her out she said that we should watch Fatal Attraction next.

:shock:

My parent's first date was to go see "Slaughterhouse Five". I don't know what that means, but it means something.

Lucy

Wasn't really expecting much with this one, but it still disappointed. Horrible ending.

1.5 / 5

Based on suggestions and also a movie I have been wanting to watch for ages I have 3 movies loaded up and ready to watch on my bus ride today:

The Sea Inside

The Devil's Backbone

The Seventh Seal

Plan to eventually watch pretty much all that has been suggested here.

Lucy

Wasn't really expecting much with this one, but it still disappointed. Horrible ending.

1.5 / 5

there's so many bad comments about this movie that I'm already disappointed and haven't seen it yet. When I saw the previews I was looking forward to being entertained even if the whole thing was implausible.