What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (6 Viewers)

Watched a little quirky indie flick last night called Upgrade.

It's about a guy who gets some kind of a microchip implanted into his skull after being paralyzed from an attack.

The scenes where the chip takes control of his body during payback to his attackers are pretty amusing.

Free Solo - watch it sometime.

Alex Honnold isn't an easy guy to root for, but it's that demeanor that helps him achieve the feat. His girlfriend is cute but aggravating as hell.

But there achievement it magnificent and worth the viewing.

Day of Wrath- Carl Theodor Dryer movie from the 40s that seems to have inspired The Crucible. Fantastic movie. I’m 2 for 2 on loving this director. It’s not as good as The Passion of Joan of Arc but what is? Also CTD seems obsessed with religion and burning people alive. 

The Predator was stupid fun. 

They missed a golden opportunity for one of the better moments in movie history if the predator killer at the end was Arnold.

The Predator was stupid fun. 

They missed a golden opportunity for one of the better moments in movie history if the predator killer at the end was Arnold.
Started watching this... much better, in a light hearted not taking itself seriously  way than it has any right being so far. Going to bed about 2/3 through, but so far so good. And I normally don't like schlocky sequels.

Started watching this... much better, in a light hearted not taking itself seriously  way than it has any right being so far. Going to bed about 2/3 through, but so far so good. And I normally don't like schlocky sequels.
I think that's about where it fell off for me.  I actually had fun with it for 1/2 - 2/3 of the movie, then it limped to the finish line.  

True Grit on the big screen is a fun ####### time.

Baby sister, I was born game, and I mean to go out that way.

I think I am going to try to watch something better tonight, but last night I couldn't sleep and tried to re-watch The Ghost and the Darkness.  Still a good story, but that one hasn't aged well.  Not sure what it will be tonight, but I added a bunch of movies on Prime and also have 3-4 Criterion movies at home that I grabbed from the library.  

I think I am going to try to watch something better tonight, but last night I couldn't sleep and tried to re-watch The Ghost and the Darkness.  Still a good story, but that one hasn't aged well.  Not sure what it will be tonight, but I added a bunch of movies on Prime and also have 3-4 Criterion movies at home that I grabbed from the library.  
i really liked that one. one of those nights where i had to go to a movie or was stuck in a town or sumn, said wtf and went in, loved it and have always sensed that i dont want to see it again....

whatcha got?

i really liked that one. one of those nights where i had to go to a movie or was stuck in a town or sumn, said wtf and went in, loved it and have always sensed that i dont want to see it again....

whatcha got?
Here are most of the movies in my queues:

For Criterion -  Lost in America, The Philadelphia Story, and Two Days/One Night.   I've seen Philadelphia Story.  

On Prime - Eighth Grade, African Queen, Logan Lucky, Virgin Suicides, Suspiria (remake), Hereditary, Beautiful Boy, The Handmaiden, AI

Netflix - Carol, Personal Shopper, Edge of Seventeen, The Wailing,

Hulu:  Shoplifters, The Sisters Brothers, After the Wedding, Frances Ha.  

Have I mentioned those last two have a pretty lame movie selection? ;)

Here are most of the movies in my queues:

For Criterion -  Lost in America, The Philadelphia Story, and Two Days/One Night.   I've seen Philadelphia Story.  

On Prime - Eighth Grade, African Queen, Logan Lucky, Virgin Suicides, Suspiria (remake), Hereditary, Beautiful Boy, The Handmaiden, AI

Netflix - Carol, Personal Shopper, Edge of Seventeen, The Wailing,

Hulu:  Shoplifters, The Sisters Brothers, After the Wedding, Frances Ha.  

Have I mentioned those last two have a pretty lame movie selection? ;)
i liked Virgin Suicides quite well. Lost in America's a classic but, with your sense of humor.......  I could watch Marion Cotillard do a beggar's laundry, so 2D/1N might be sumn. and African Queen has my most-quoted movie line "Nature, Mr Allnut, is what we're put in this world to rise above" of all time and is just a treasure

i liked Virgin Suicides quite well. Lost in America's a classic but, with your sense of humor.......  I could watch Marion Cotillard do a beggar's laundry, so 2D/1N might be sumn. and African Queen has my most-quoted movie line "Nature, Mr Allnut, is what we're put in this world to rise above" of all time and is just a treasure
Hey!! 

Lost in America  :thumbup:
I was leaning Lost in America just because the Cine-Files dudes did a pod on it recently.  

I gotta tell ya.  A Star is Born might be a remake of a remake and overly cliche, but it made me feel the entire gambit of emotions in 2+ hours, and I’ve gotta think that’s the sign of a decent movie.  And Lady Gaga was very good.

KarmaPolice said:
I never get tired of that one. Solid movie.

I saw African Queen about a month ago. I liked it better than I remembered.

I also liked Ghost and the Darkness - but, like others, I have not seen it in ages.

I feel like I am in a time warp though regarding newer movies. And, I still have so much already recommended to watch. I need to get to it, but time is a mutha.

Movie-wise, I think I need to do The Killing first - and then maybe a re-watch of The Trial.

Series-wise, I've got GoT to finish; Man Men at episode 3; Fargo on bat - and - I think I may be missing something.

heh - i guess I am kind of lucky to have lots of new to me things to watch.

Blackout - 1954 (Amazon Prime)

Plot summary

Drunk and down-and-out Casey Morrow (Clark) in London is approached by a young and beautiful heiress, Phyllis Brunner (Lee) with an offer of lots of money if he will marry her. He accepts, but then wakes up the next morning in some other woman's apartment with blood on his coat from the murder of Brunner's father. Now he must unravel the mystery to clear his name, which leads him into a twisted labyrinth of encounters with various suspicious characters who seem to make his situation worse the more he learns.

The female lead,  Belinda Lee died in a car accident at age 25,

Liked it very much

I saw African Queen about a month ago. I liked it better than I remembered.

I also liked Ghost and the Darkness - but, like others, I have not seen it in ages.

I feel like I am in a time warp though regarding newer movies. And, I still have so much already recommended to watch. I need to get to it, but time is a mutha.

Movie-wise, I think I need to do The Killing first - and then maybe a re-watch of The Trial.

Series-wise, I've got GoT to finish; Man Men at episode 3; Fargo on bat - and - I think I may be missing something.

heh - i guess I am kind of lucky to have lots of new to me things to watch.
@Man of Constant Sorrow -  is that S1 E3 of Mad Men?  First time seeing it? 

I am slowly going back through Mad Men and I think I am on E5.  It's not a show built for bingeing, so I will probably just watch an episode or two a week.  I have The Americans on deck as well, then about 30 others in the queue.  

I thought Fargo dropped off quite a bit after S1, but others around here seem to like it a lot.  

@Man of Constant Sorrow -  is that S1 E3 of Mad Men?  First time seeing it? 

I am slowly going back through Mad Men and I think I am on E5.  It's not a show built for bingeing, so I will probably just watch an episode or two a week.  I have The Americans on deck as well, then about 30 others in the queue.  

I thought Fargo dropped off quite a bit after S1, but others around here seem to like it a lot.  
Yeah - this is my 1st watch of it, and I'm still on S1 E3. Ep 4 will be my next watch.

After 80's, wikkid and Getz all sang its praises in K's Beatles thread, I decided that I had to watch it. I like the 1st three, but sooo much has hit recently, I just haven't gotten my schedule down yet.

An ep or 2 per week sounds good. I'll have to try that.

I have seen nothing of Fargo, but I loved the movie and others opinions here (as you say) gave me optimism.

Thnx.

Bumblebee

This was Mrs. O’s choice last night.  Good lord, what a stupid “plot”.  If I was watching it on my own, I would have fast forwarded through at least an hour of it.  John Cena was turrible and he should stick to WWE as he is no Dwayne Johnson. 1.5/5

I'm curious what you would consider a robot, that changes into a car, that is from outerspace, good plot to be...
Probably something like a Holocaust survivor living in a 1940s New York boarding house has to decide between her violent alien robot car lover and a shy, insecure author all while trying to balance her own shaky mental state. 

Bumblebee

This was Mrs. O’s choice last night.  Good lord, what a stupid “plot”.  If I was watching it on my own, I would have fast forwarded through at least an hour of it.  John Cena was turrible and he should stick to WWE as he is no Dwayne Johnson. 1.5/5
My whole family loved it.

Oscar Welles night on TCM. At 8pm, a two-hr profile of the patron saint of Pink's Hot Dogs called The Eyes of Orson Welles, followed by his The Trial, Mr Arkadin, Citizen Kane, Lady From Shanghai and the greatest Shakespeare movie ever made, Chimes at Midnight, wrapping up @ 8am.
And if that’s not enough Welles, Joseph Cotten is being highlighted Wednesday with The Magnificent Ambersons at 6:30 pm Eastern

Oscar Welles night on TCM. At 8pm, a two-hr profile of the patron saint of Pink's Hot Dogs called The Eyes of Orson Welles, followed by his The Trial, Mr Arkadin, Citizen Kane, Lady From Shanghai and the greatest Shakespeare movie ever made, Chimes at Midnight, wrapping up @ 8am.
I did it. Just finished.

Well worth it. Kane was my least favorite - tho it was great...as always.

Falstaff - wow! Really. I need to re-watch this - this week. This is great. The kind of movie that I can watch over and over.

I think I missed more of the full potential of this on my 1st watch than The Trial. Will is not my strongest suit - I know there is so much more here to discover.

Finally, in the midst of such great writing, acting and depth ---

--- does it say something bad or shallow about me that this was my favorite part?

Falstaff misses his horse and has to foot it - but dangit - he's still chargin' & chargin'

Time to sleep.

Users who are viewing this thread