What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (13 Viewers)

For anyone into TCM, I set my DVR to record “Only Angels Have Wings” on TCM on Saturday.  Howard Hawks’ movie from 1939 with Cary Grant, Jean Arthur, Rita Hayworth :wub: , and others.

I haven’t seen it (so I can’t vouch for it), but Hawks is great (a pretty underrated director).  I’m out of town this weekend, and I probably won’t get to it until next week personally though.

For anyone into TCM, I set my DVR to record “Only Angels Have Wings” on TCM on Saturday.  Howard Hawks’ movie from 1939 with Cary Grant, Jean Arthur, Rita Hayworth :wub: , and others.

I haven’t seen it (so I can’t vouch for it), but Hawks is great (a pretty underrated director).  I’m out of town this weekend, and I probably won’t get to it until next week personally though.
You have made a wise choice, it's a great movie. 

When I first saw it, I had no clue what it was and the title didn't help. I wrongly assumed it would a romance. While it certainly has elements of that, its a real macho guys movie. 

Last edited by a moderator:
You have made a wise choice, it's a great movie. 

When I first saw it, I had no clue what it was and the title didn't help. I wrongly assumed it would a romance. While it certainly has elements of that, its a real macho guys movie. 
Yeah, I was reading some reviews with similar comments.

Never know what you will get with Hawks. Reminds of Wilder with his ability to operate across genres.

Some recent watches:

Breathless: I've seen it before and it is without a doubt a cool movie. However, it doesn't connect for me. Belmondo is such a mysoginst jerk that I don't root for him which leaves the film a bit empty for me.

David Coppierfield: WC Fields casting as Wilkins Micabewr is spot on but the rest of the movie is just ok. It comes up far short of the David Lean adaptations of Dickens. 

Ryan's Daughter: Speaking of Lean, this is the movie that broke him. Although, I don't know why. It's a bit disjointed to start but the classic Lean romance amidst historical backdrops and splendid natural scenety develops into something quite good. Robert Mitchum, Trevor Howard and the Irish coast all shine. If one is a David Lean fan, this is just the natrual follow-up to Doctor Zhivago and almost as good. 

Some recent watches:

Breathless: I've seen it before and it is without a doubt a cool movie. However, it doesn't connect for me. Belmondo is such a mysoginst jerk that I don't root for him which leaves the film a bit empty for me.
I think the film works better if you think of him as a nihilist. Which turns the film into a tragedy because associating with him causes Patricia to become the same - when had she associated with a better man, she would have been an idealist.

I kind I of see it as a metaphor of post WWII America, whose idealism was stripped away as it encountered the nihilism of "old world" Europe.

I think the film works better if you think of him as a nihilist. Which turns the film into a tragedy because associating with him causes Patricia to become the same - when had she associated with a better man, she would have been an idealist.

I kind I of see it as a metaphor of post WWII America, whose idealism was stripped away as it encountered the nihilism of "old world" Europe.
Hmmm... I will have to give that some thought. How does the fact that Michel emulates Bogart? 

I always  saw it as a movie that was daring for the time: cool, detached and done in a very guerilla style. Of course it has been copied so much since then that it's impact has been dulled for modern viewers. I like it, respect it but don't find it all that of a captivating watch. 

Hmmm... I will have to give that some thought. How does the fact that Michel emulates Bogart? 

I always  saw it as a movie that was daring for the time: cool, detached and done in a very guerilla style. Of course it has been copied so much since then that it's impact has been dulled for modern viewers. I like it, respect it but don't find it all that of a captivating watch. 
Bogart traditionally came across as the stereotypical "cool & detached" figure in his films.

Michael is a bit of a childish poseur, and rather than craft an identity of his own finds it easier to play the idealized (to him) version of Bogart - the figure he wishes he could be

Bogart traditionally came across as the stereotypical "cool & detached" figure in his films.

Michael is a bit of a childish poseur, and rather than craft an identity of his own finds it easier to play the idealized (to him) version of Bogart - the figure he wishes he could be
Makes sense though Bogey was typically not a nihilist. Casablanca, Big Sleep, Maltese Falcon- Bogey had a code and did the the right thing. I was more curious how idealizing Bogart fit in with the nihilism vs idealism, Old Europe vs America. Just trying to process that- not sure if that is reading too much into the film given the movie was basically written on the fly. 

Showed my 15 year old nephew Almost Famous.  He said it is one of his fav movies now.

Kate Hudson is amazing in this.  Just magic.  She was 20 when she made this.  It is oscar worthy imo.  She never came close to this level ever again.  Odd.

I was dragging my feet watching with him , but I guess one of my son's teachers showed the Back to the Future on the last couple days of school.  He ended up really liking it.  

My Father's Day present is watching my favorite movie with him tonight, and the promise/rain check of watching the rest of the trilogy soon.  :popcorn:

Showed my 15 year old nephew Almost Famous.  He said it is one of his fav movies now.

Kate Hudson is amazing in this.  Just magic.  She was 20 when she made this.  It is oscar worthy imo.  She never came close to this level ever again.  Odd.
Probably didn't help that she married the black crows dude and smoked a metric ton of weed.

The Hate You Give.

Avoided this when it came out as being too... Dunno. Too. 11yo floppinho read the book and saw it in the theater and liked it quite a bit.

After viewing...it's a well made movie. Tells the story very well, with some moments of nice writing and overall good ensemble work and pacing. The lead was fantastic- hope to see more of her. It does suffer likely from the source material being YA fiction with some inherently cheap/lazy writing tropes to push the plot... but overall works better than I expected, and material worth thinking about.

Not one that he directed (directed by his mentor, Lubitsch), but I’ll give Ninotchka a mention as worth a watch as one that he co-wrote. Really the movie that launched his career.
I have pretty much lost my taste for watching the old screwball comedies from the 30s & 40s that i useta love, but Ninotchka is among the very few (the Capras, Thin Mans, Ball of Fire) that still get me 

Ryan's Daughter: Speaking of Lean, this is the movie that broke him. Although, I don't know why. It's a bit disjointed to start but the classic Lean romance amidst historical backdrops and splendid natural scenety develops into something quite good. Robert Mitchum, Trevor Howard and the Irish coast all shine. If one is a David Lean fan, this is just the natrual follow-up to Doctor Zhivago and almost as good. 
I've been disappointed by this movie twice a year for half a century. I havent been able to retire in the west of Eire as i wanted and this is my "just be" sublimation

I've been disappointed by this movie twice a year for half a century. I havent been able to retire in the west of Eire as i wanted and this is my "just be" sublimation
Have you seen this recent story making the rounds about a small Irish town about 500 trying to recruit Americans?

Have you seen this recent story making the rounds about a small Irish town about 500 trying to recruit Americans?
hope something like that happens after i plant the peeps. i came to VT to ease the last months of a dying 89yo mother (to whom i'd never been close) as a matter of sumn you do. i been wiping the hole i came out of 5 times a day for six yrs now. i've earned even a island in Donegal like that (tho i prefer a cottage in Mayo - which is the difference climatewise as that between Vermont & Rhode Island), but there's no relief in sight. real estate fluctuates dramatically there, so we'll have to see when the time comes. til then, i watch Rosie Ryan collect cuttles & cockles

Wife is out of town and the weather has been bad so I am ripping through the DVR.

Just finished Cleopatra. I have to agree with the modern assessments that it's reputation for being "the biggest bomb ever" and a disaster are very exaggerated. Sure it was overbudget but it was also the highest grossing film of 63. It was a financial screw-up but as a film, it's impressive. Taylor vs Rex Harrison and Taylor vs Richard Burton make for great viewing visually you can see how this went overbudget. It is massive and gorgeous. Few movies feel this big- it an epic among epics. If it was made today, it would have likely been a 6 hour miniseries and would have worked even better. 

On this day in 1960, Alfred Hitchcock‘s legendary movie Psycho had its world premiere at the DeMille Theatre in New York City. Janet Leigh portrayed the doomed Marion Crane in the film, which earned her a Golden Globe Award for Best Supporting Actress and an Academy Award nomination for Best Supporting Actress. The murder of Leigh's character in the shower is the film's pivotal scene and one of the best-known in all of cinema.

The Man With No Name said:
On this day in 1960, Alfred Hitchcock‘s legendary movie Psycho had its world premiere at the DeMille Theatre in New York City. Janet Leigh portrayed the doomed Marion Crane in the film, which earned her a Golden Globe Award for Best Supporting Actress and an Academy Award nomination for Best Supporting Actress. The murder of Leigh's character in the shower is the film's pivotal scene and one of the best-known in all of cinema.
Pretty good podcast with some fresh voices on the film and a fantastic interview with a guy who is an expert on the shower scene. 

https://www.earwolf.com/episode/psycho/

Another viewing of The Misfits and I keep becoming more and more convinced this is a "hidden gem" and a movie that warrants much more atteniton that it gets. 

The Man With No Name said:
Huh.  Never heard of it.  

To catch a thief. 3.5/5.

Not your typical Hitchcock movie. Lighter then most. But still some snappy dialogue and great acting (Grace Kelly was magnificent).

Though it has dated. I was laughing during the car chase and the fireworks were just  :rolleyes: :lol:

Another viewing of The Misfits and I keep becoming more and more convinced this is a "hidden gem" and a movie that warrants much more attention that it gets. 
When Eli Wallach passed away at age ninety-eight a few years back, they showed a bunch of interviews and one that stuck out was his describing the shoot for The Misfits. He said he was a genuinely happy and healthy person, and it was quite startling to be around Monroe, Gable and Clift who each were ravaged by sickness, both mental and physical. It made him appreciate life, he said. 

One of Marilyn's most intense acting scenes ever was this one between her and Wallach: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_e917WJMzl4

To catch a thief. 3.5/5.

Not your typical Hitchcock movie. Lighter then most. But still some snappy dialogue and great acting (Grace Kelly was magnificent).

Though it has dated. I was laughing during the car chase and the fireworks were just  :rolleyes: :lol:
one of my least favorite Hitchcock films. it just feels so damn lazy. 

manic pixie dream girls rarely succeed as manic pixie dream women.

To catch a thief. 3.5/5.

Both this and The Trouble With Harry are so different from everything else in Hitchcock's œuvre. Compared to Psycho, Vertigo, Rear Window, et al...of course they seem lightweight. It's kind of the point.

They must have done so much coke making this movie 
coke & music is a very special combustion. oddly, i have a story about that but, unlike most of em, it involves me as a performer.

I have an OK voice, decent style & command, but no range and terrible stagefright from blowing my lines in a school play when i was 12. My youngest son's mother, a Nevada lounge singer, helped break me out of the stagefright because friends had heard us harmonize and one asked us to play their wedding reception. It worked, we broke a lot of songs like Pride & Joy, She's No Lady and You Look Wonderful Tonight down into two-parters and ended up getting asked to do a few other events. Once i got the bug, we also participated regularly in the Monday blues nite at a local club with a friend of ours, Natman, who looked like Scatman Crothers but played like Hendrix, but i never took my eyes off my Kathy's or the fear would creep in.

We weren't actually going to show up this one Monday, but Natman called to say he had a special treat. Nevada drug laws had changed recently to make as little as an 8ball qualify as sale weight and, for a while, that knocked the hell out of the quality of flake being sold around Reno. Natman called us to make sure we were coming to blues night cuz he'd just come up from LA and had some puro Peru that would shonuff zoink us out. I brought along a bottle of XO Kathy gave me for xmas (both Natman and i prefer evening out our powders w cognac) and we was gonna have ourselves a time.

We all got way high, too high i guess, because i don't remember none of what next happened. Kathy was all over me when woke up up next day and i was all wtf and she kept talking about she didnt know i was such a monster & #### and i'm even more wtf?! Apparently, Natman had done his share of the bluesy side of Hendrix that nite and was kickin' it and i had done nothing w him but do lines & shots out back and our arrangement of Bonnie Raitt's Love Sneakin' Up On You. He called me onstage amid his Hendrix set and started in on Hey Joe. I was just barely unzoinked enough to remember we had once done this as a two-parter (he had helped us arrange the 2parters on the wedding songs) with me as Joe and Natman as the guy asking what he's doing w the gun, so i took up the Joe part like i sposeta.

Well, sumn i dont understand, whether it was the chance to finally cut loose and/or being that high, happened to me but i started free-styling when Natman asked me if i shot her about precisely what happened that night and i guess i ended up doing five minutes on puttin' away this woman done me wrong, with Natman firing his licks inbetween. Apparently the most incendiary moment of my artistic career happened then and i dont remember a moment of it. All i know is that, for my last years in Reno, women were zooming me and doods were wowing me about that night. Alls i can say is !

wikkidpissah said:
coke & music is a very special combustion. oddly, i have a story about that but, unlike most of em, it involves me as a performer.

I have an OK voice, decent style & command, but no range and terrible stagefright from blowing my lines in a school play when i was 12. My youngest son's mother, a Nevada lounge singer, helped break me out of the stagefright because friends had heard us harmonize and one asked us to play their wedding reception. It worked, we broke a lot of songs like Pride & Joy, She's No Lady and You Look Wonderful Tonight down into two-parters and ended up getting asked to do a few other events. Once i got the bug, we also participated regularly in the Monday blues nite at a local club with a friend of ours, Natman, who looked like Scatman Crothers but played like Hendrix, but i never took my eyes off my Kathy's or the fear would creep in.

We weren't actually going to show up this one Monday, but Natman called to say he had a special treat. Nevada drug laws had changed recently to make as little as an 8ball qualify as sale weight and, for a while, that knocked the hell out of the quality of flake being sold around Reno. Natman called us to make sure we were coming to blues night cuz he'd just come up from LA and had some puro Peru that would shonuff zoink us out. I brought along a bottle of XO Kathy gave me for xmas (both Natman and i prefer evening out our powders w cognac) and we was gonna have ourselves a time.

We all got way high, too high i guess, because i don't remember none of what next happened. Kathy was all over me when woke up up next day and i was all wtf and she kept talking about she didnt know i was such a monster & #### and i'm even more wtf?! Apparently, Natman had done his share of the bluesy side of Hendrix that nite and was kickin' it and i had done nothing w him but do lines & shots out back and our arrangement of Bonnie Raitt's Love Sneakin' Up On You. He called me onstage amid his Hendrix set and started in on Hey Joe. I was just barely unzoinked enough to remember we had once done this as a two-parter (he had helped us arrange the 2parters on the wedding songs) with me as Joe and Natman as the guy asking what he's doing w the gun, so i took up the Joe part like i sposeta.

Well, sumn i dont understand, whether it was the chance to finally cut loose and/or being that high, happened to me but i started free-styling when Natman asked me if i shot her about precisely what happened that night and i guess i ended up doing five minutes on puttin' away this woman done me wrong, with Natman firing his licks inbetween. Apparently the most incindiary moment of my artistic career happened then and i dont remember a moment of it. All i know is that, for my last years in Reno, women were approaching me and rubbing my chest and doods were wowing me about that night. Alls i can say is !
Hey Joe. ❤️

If people are really down with the idea of a movie club, it might be best to toss up a quick poll with a few questions to see what we might be interested in - themes, years, frequency of movies. 

I probably could do one tonight if I dont see one posted.  

If people are really down with the idea of a movie club, it might be best to toss up a quick poll with a few questions to see what we might be interested in - themes, years, frequency of movies. 

I probably could do one tonight if I dont see one posted.  
Yeah, I will post one. 

I think I like the idea of a double feature that is posted every 2-3 weeks to watch.  Take turns picking the double feature or something? 

We could still vote on some limits on genres/years, but that would give a bit of flexibility and maybe keep people more active if they had a say in what is watched? 

That would probably get you the most participation but it's not something I am interested in...but by all means go ahead with it because people love those movies. 
Hard pass.  I have seen most, and am interested mostly in trying to dig a little deeper or to watch stuff I haven't gotten to yet.  

Users who are viewing this thread