What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (5 Viewers)

Your Sister's Sister.  2011.

I watch a lot of movies.  Always great when I find one I missed.

This is a gem.

Mark Duplass, emily blunt and rosemarie dewitt.

One of the better movies I have seen in a while and yes im probably over selling it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stop Making Sense is timeless, I am so glad I have dived so deep into this the last week. 
Saw this in the theater years ago when it opened and loved it. I'd never seen people dancing in a movie theater before. Saw it again a couple years ago for the anniversary, and this film is genius. I love how Jonathan Demme films the artists up close for very long takes. So many concert films only feature quick cuts. But Demme lets the camera linger. 

Cool- was never a big fan of the movie though. What am I missing with it?
not much but a window on the time. another project rife with that brand of Cali casual sado-sexism (a la M*A*S*H, Polanski, Eagles) that i hated when i first encountered it in the music biz

Ordinary People.

Pantheon performance by Hutton.  Sutherland's performance was oscar-worthy too.

Can really tell Robin Williams took a lot from Judd Hirsch for Good Will Hunting performance.

I had never seen this one before despite having seen most best pic winners.  Looked like a dated soapish type movie.

It is a bit dated and a bit after school special at times but their is also so much to like.

The Sutherland scenes when he is daydreaming of times gone by are really effecting.

Young Elizabeth Mcgovern.  😍

The last scene between Sutherland and Moore is an all-timer.

Props to Redford.  This a classic along with A River Runs Through It.
not a fan along with The English Patient.   IMO, the great acting in both does not come close to overcoming long, depressing, & boring .  Both not in MY wheelhouse at all.   A River Runs through It is fabulous.  IMHO

not much but a window on the time. another project rife with that brand of Cali casual sado-sexism (a la M*A*S*H, Polanski, Eagles) that i hated when i first encountered it in the music biz
Yeah, to me it seems like a "you had to be there" movie. Significant for it's time but that is about it. Funny the things you listed as I hated MASH, didn't care for Easy Rider, am mixed on Polanski and love The Eagles. 

Yeah, to me it seems like a "you had to be there" movie. Significant for it's time but that is about it. Funny the things you listed as I hated MASH, didn't care for Easy Rider, am mixed on Polanski and love The Eagles. 
i used the Eagles as an example cuz some of them were especially awful but pretty much every unmarried/settled SoCal music figure i met during my career were Rapeteers.

Ordinary People.

Pantheon performance by Hutton.  Sutherland's performance was oscar-worthy too.

Can really tell Robin Williams took a lot from Judd Hirsch for Good Will Hunting performance.

I had never seen this one before despite having seen most best pic winners.  Looked like a dated soapish type movie.

It is a bit dated and a bit after school special at times but their is also so much to like.

The Sutherland scenes when he is daydreaming of times gone by are really effecting.

Young Elizabeth Mcgovern.  😍

The last scene between Sutherland and Moore is an all-timer.

Props to Redford.  This a classic along with A River Runs Through It.
I think this might be one of the first movies I ever saw where I understood how great the acting was. 

I think this might be one of the first movies I ever saw where I understood how great the acting was. 
well, i've been on a pretty interesting internet expedition thx to this.

maybe too esoteric a subject for a thread, but i thought about it & i also remember when i discovered great acting. i never knew the specifics but i remember as a little kid seeing an old episode of one of the anthology shows like Playhouse 90 or Studio One, with Peter Falk and the immense Inger Stevens (she killed herself before most of you were born, but imagine Grace Kelly with depth) acting the hell out of each other in the cab of a truck.

so i just googled "Peter Falk Inger Stevens in a truck" and wouldn't you know, youtube has the show. it was from **** Powell Theater, a show i dont remember existing (Powell was a song & dance man who i only remember for playing Philip Marlowe once) but lotsa weird folks hosted shows back then. so i watch it - a pretty melodramatic bit of business about a truck driver hurrying a load of tomatoes (in Falk diction, "ta-may-tiz") across the country who is waylaid by a hitchiking pregnant illegal immigrant who wants her son born in America (ripped from today's headlines, eh?). that's pretty racy stuff, so now i'm trying to figure out how my Irish Catholic mother (who @ 94yo still crosses herself if you say "damn") allowed me to see that. best i can guess is we musta been at my uncle's house cuz i always slept on their couch while the adults watched TV there. quite a trip down memory lane, but some weird fun. thing is - all my life i have pronounced the plural of tomato "ta-may-tiz" and now i know why.

wikkidpissah said:

maybe too esoteric a subject for a thread, but i thought about it & i also remember when i discovered great acting. i never knew the specifics but i remember as a little kid seeing an old episode of one of the anthology shows like Playhouse 90 or Studio One, with Peter Falk and the immense Inger Stevens (she killed herself before most of you were born, but imagine Grace Kelly with depth) acting the hell out of each other in the cab of a truck.

so i just googled "Peter Falk Inger Stevens in a truck" and wouldn't you know, youtube has the show. it was from **** Powell Theater, a show i dont remember existing (Powell was a song & dance man who i only remember for playing Philip Marlowe once) but lotsa weird folks hosted shows back then. so i watch it - a pretty melodramatic bit of business about a truck driver hurrying a load of tomatoes (in Falk diction, "ta-may-tiz") across the country who is waylaid by a hitchiking pregnant illegal immigrant who wants her son born in America (ripped from today's headlines, eh?). that's pretty racy stuff, so now i'm trying to figure out how my Irish Catholic mother (who @ 94yo still crosses herself if you say "damn") allowed me to see that. best i can guess is we musta been at my uncle's house cuz i always slept on their couch while the adults watched TV there. quite a trip down memory lane, but some weird fun. thing is - all my life i have pronounced the plural of tomato "ta-may-tiz" and now i know why.
Still so hard for me to remember that Peter Falk has an incredible background as an actor and has chops. I just grew up with him as Columbo.

Big disappointment last night. I had been wanting to see La Bete Humaine (The Human Beast) for awhile. It's French proto-noir with Jean Gabin, Simone Simon and directed by Renoir.  Noir is one of the my favorite styles and I have enjoyed all 3 of the aforementioned cast/crew members. However, I didn't really care for the movie. It's got some of the best filmed train sequences I have ever seen, but those had little to do with the story. It was boring and predictable- of course I am infoirmed by the 80 years of movies that have followed but outside of the train sequences, I just didn't ever get drawn to it. 

He was really good in Woman Under the Influence. Which is a move that is another movie all about the performances. 
one of my favorites. he and rowlands (and everybody else) were just astonishing. amazing to see a performance about mental illness where the actor isn't acting "crazy".

Your Sister's Sister.  2011.

I watch a lot of movies.  Always great when I find one I missed.

This is a gem.

Mark Duplass, emily blunt and rosemarie dewitt.

One of the better movies I have seen in a while and yes im probably over selling it.
Mark Duplass is a lot more than the dork on the League 

wikkidpissah said:

First Peter Falk thing I ever saw was Murder by Death and I loved it as a kid. 

Us:

Very mixed initial reaction to this movie.  It was well made, the acting was very good, and there were some genuinely creepy moments.   On the flip side, I think it was too long, the ending/exposition scene was terrible, and I was mostly bored throughout the movie.  

I bought the Criterion edition of Notorious and watched some of the documentaries in it. 

I just have to reiterate how much I think all involved are at the top of their game in this film.

The subtleties such as knowing exactly where their character should be looking at specific times in each and every scene is amazing. Cary Grant particularly. He's a good comedic actor, sure, but here he dials that down a notch and is terrific. And Hitch knows exactly where the camera should be at all times to capture it all.

I'm more convinced than ever that Notorious is Hitchcock's best. He said himself that it was one of his movies "with the least mistakes".

Watching Geostorm again. Nothing on really. 4 vodkas in. Dont at me.

This should have been a good movie.  All the cast is perfect for a solid but forgettable action movie. The secret service chick is ........ awesome feels not enough.  Love her. Domino from Deadpool 2 was fun as hell here. It lined up for a good 2 hours of popcorn and things blowing up.

But they literally screwed up almost everything. 

Us:

Very mixed initial reaction to this movie.  It was well made, the acting was very good, and there were some genuinely creepy moments.   On the flip side, I think it was too long, the ending/exposition scene was terrible, and I was mostly bored throughout the movie.  
Remove the necessity to shoehorn in a social message and the movie could have been a good horror flick. Cut the end exposition and leave it all unexplained ( would have to cut the hands across tie-in) and I would have loved it. Also leave the identity up in the air at the end would have been a plus.

Is there any way we can get script writers to stop using these phrases?

This isn't you! - Said to someone doing bad stuff.

Stay with me! - Said to a dying person.

You don't have to do this! - Said to someone doing the thing they planned on from the beginning.

You don't have to do this! - Said to someone doing the thing they planned on from the beginning.
Or a script of JUST that stuff, with other hackneyed film-making tripe.

Finally saw Roma.

My expectations were probably too high, but I found the first half boring and the second half just depressing. The ending also felt abrupt.

Yes, the photography was amazing, but that was the high point.

I posted in the horror movie thread, but I ended up really liking Hereditary.  Been awhile since a movie unsettled and scared me like that one did.  

I posted in the horror movie thread, but I ended up really liking Hereditary.  Been awhile since a movie unsettled and scared me like that one did.  
here's what I wrote in the horror thread... I guess I liked it ok. didnt really resonate or stay with me since.

Saw Hereditary. A mashup of scary movies... well crafted I guess, but wierdly cast and ultimately felt too derivative to transcend. But definitely set a creepy tone and held it, with some disturbing visuals too. I guess that's a plus. Like someone upthread, I felt like the clues were laid out clearly and obviously, so the end didn't feel out of place to me. The pacing certainly ramped up from slow crawl to zippitydodah immediately, but that didn't bother me. 

here's what I wrote in the horror thread... I guess I liked it ok. didnt really resonate or stay with me since.
I think I was out of it, because I didn't pick up on a lot of the obvious (now that I think about the movie more) clues of what was going on.   I am curious what you thought it was derivative from, at least to the point where it didn't get to that next level for you.  I guess I can't think of too many recent horror movies dealing with the same themes and plot, but I guess maybe...

You are thinking of stuff like Rosemary's Baby?   I think a good descriptor for this movie would be the look of something recent like The VVitch blended with something like Rosemary's Baby? 

KarmaPolice said:
I think I was out of it, because I didn't pick up on a lot of the obvious (now that I think about the movie more) clues of what was going on.   I am curious what you thought it was derivative from, at least to the point where it didn't get to that next level for you.  I guess I can't think of too many recent horror movies dealing with the same themes and plot, but I guess maybe...

You are thinking of stuff like Rosemary's Baby?   I think a good descriptor for this movie would be the look of something recent like The VVitch blended with something like Rosemary's Baby? 

Reveal hidden contents
tbh, I mentioned it didn't resonate... I don't remember it well enough to tell you. but I trust my just-having-watched self about this.  iirc, there were both themes and visuals co-opted enough to make me notice it.

Mr. Mojo said:
Finally saw Roma.

My expectations were probably too high, but I found the first half boring and the second half just depressing. The ending also felt abrupt.

Is it still on Netflix?

I watched The Heiress this weekend.  I agree pretty well done.  Melodramatic at times, but I thought the ending was great.  I had not really seen much of William Wyler's stuff, but enjoyed this one and The Best Years of Our Lives recently.  Need to watch Mrs. Miniver.
I recorded Mrs. Miniver when it was on TCM last week.  Its reputation seems to have a taken a hit since it was released, and seems to be thought about more now as a WWII propaganda film.  I can definitely see that.  It has some moving scenes based around Dunkirk and the Battle of Britain, but story is a bit weak apart from that.  Movie tries to portray Britons as people who would just like to spend their day growing and judging flowers for a flower show, if it wasn't for those pesky Germans who keep bombing them -- effective as propaganda, but maybe a bit too obviously as such.

Worth a watch, but I'd put it behind The Best Year of Our Lives, The Heiress, and The Little Foxes on my Wyler list.

I recorded Mrs. Miniver when it was on TCM last week.  Its reputation seems to have a taken a hit since it was released, and seems to be thought about more now as a WWII propaganda film.  I can definitely see that.  It has some moving scenes based around Dunkirk and the Battle of Britain, but story is a bit weak apart from that.  Movie tries to portray Britons as people who would just like to spend their day growing and judging flowers for a flower show, if it wasn't for those pesky Germans who keep bombing them -- effective as propaganda, but maybe a bit too obviously as such.

Worth a watch, but I'd put it behind The Best Year of Our Lives, The Heiress, and The Little Foxes on my Wyler list.
Agreed. Whatever sentimental weight it held with its proximity to the war has been lost. 

Watched Jubal last night. It’s a really good 1956 western that I had never heard of before. Glenn Ford, Ernest Borgnine, Rod Steiger and even a small appearance from Charles Bronson. It has a lot of similarities in story and look to Shane but it’s less violent and more focused in on the relationship with the outsider and the wife. I thought the ending was a letdown but the other 98% of the film was really well done.

Agreed. Whatever sentimental weight it held with its proximity to the war has been lost. 
Yeah, I found it more interesting from a historical perspective than an artistic perspective, thinking about someone watching it in 1942.  I can see why Churchill said the movie was "worth a hundred battleships."

That one guy said:
This may come as a surprise, considering the plethora of quality source material to build from, but the newer Predator is a giant oof
terrible.  good cast too.  just a total disaster of a story.   guess its hard to make a straightforward action movie these days. 

People always say the same thing. They say, 'You don't have to do this.' (flips quarter)

Mr. Mojo said:
Finally saw Roma.

I mostly agree with this except that I would include the sound as amazing also. But yea - the story did not grip me.

Watched 2 movies that I had never heard of and were excellent. The Train with Burt Lancaster and Jubal with Glenn Ford, Rod Steiger and Ernest Borgnine. Both movies deserve more recognition. Absolute total guys guys movies. One a story about French citizens trying to sabotage a NAZI train and the other is a Western in the mold of Shane but a bit more mature.

Stuber C-. Very disappointing after a great trailer. 

Started out good and had some funny one-liners. But no chemistry between the stars and the writing was atrocious 

With the aforementioned youtube  channel I'm working on, I've really gotten an appreciation of the work of **** Miller.

Users who are viewing this thread