Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Memphis Foundry

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition

On 6/19/2019 at 2:00 AM, Mr. Mojo said:

Finally watched the Extended Version (251 minutes) of Once Upon A Time In America, over a couple nights.

The added scenes actually added some good info, though the picture quality on them was obviously poor (they said it was the only prints they could come up with that had these scenes). 

If you a re a fan of the film, I recommend watching this version. It is also an absurdly cheap blu ray on Amazon right now.

I will repeat myself here by saying that Morricone's soundtrack for this film is the greatest in the history of film.

I remember thinking the regular version felt too long. I think it was already the 3rd or 4th longest movie I've ever seen. 

On 6/19/2019 at 2:00 AM, Mr. Mojo said:

I will repeat myself here by saying that Morricone's soundtrack for this film is the greatest in the history of film.

i believe it won the Oscar for Best Ocarina in a Supporting Role...

• Like 1

I liked Once Upon A Time In America more than I did The Godfather.

But it is better watched as a mini series than in one sitting.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2019 at 8:26 PM, Yankee23Fan said:

Robin Williams: Come Inside My Mind on HBO is just remarkable.

Man I miss him.

Just caught the end of "Good Will Hunting" . "Son of a b****. He stole my line" 

• Like 1

Watching " War of the worlds "

Found thus trivia item on IMDB.

"After her actions in the movie, Dakota Fanning's character was voted 'most useless thing tohave in an apocalypse ' by MTV movie awards

• Laughing 2

Watching Charlie Chaplin’s “The Kid” on TCM. The remastering on this version is incredible; I haven’t seen this version before. It makes something from 1921 look like it was filmed with HD cameras.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Don Quixote said:

Watching Charlie Chaplin’s “The Kid” on TCM. The remastering on this version is incredible; I haven’t seen this version before. It makes something from 1921 look like it was filmed with HD cameras.

Are you watching live or is it available to stream?

1 minute ago, Man of Constant Sorrow said:

Are you watching live or is it available to stream?

It was on live. Just ended about five minutes ago.  TCM stuff is usually available to stream on their app though.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Don Quixote said:

It was on live. Just ended about five minutes ago.  TCM stuff is usually available to stream on their app though.

and often the West Coast feed is available online 

• Thanks 1

Watched US yesterday

I thought it was good, but the ending either didn't make much sense or it went over my head.

Nyong'o was great in it.

14 hours ago, Don Quixote said:

Second only to The Great Dictator for me in the Chaplin oeuvre.

26 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Second only to The Great Dictator for me in the Chaplin oeuvre.

Tough ranking those two with Modern Times, City Lights and Gold Rush. Pretty incredible set of films- especially considering he starred, directed, wrote, did all his stunts. Although (Great Dictator aside) tying this into the movie talk about sequels, could his movies all be considered “sequels”? The scenarios are very different but it’s the same character every time. 

• Like 1

Not sure if there is a thread but

Toy Story 4 B. Some funny bits,  but it was going nowhere until Duke Kaboom (Keanu Reeves) showed up. He was ####### hilarious. 

Would be  an OK ending but they left wiggle room for another movie

Fun in Acapulco, Elvis was a terrible actor but his movies are incredible time capsules. 

Stop Making Sense is timeless, I am so glad I have dived so deep into this the last week. 

Edited by Ilov80s
  • Like 1

Speaking of old "classics", I finally watched The Lion In Winter.

What an awful mess. Hepburn was great but O'Toole overacted badly. 

It was like Virginia Woolf with a royal setting (if you like that, you might like this).

A bunch of awful, miserable characters screaming at each other for 2+ hours.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Mojo said:

Speaking of old "classics", I finally watched The Lion In Winter.

What an awful mess. Hepburn was great but O'Toole overacted badly. 

It was like Virginia Woolf with a royal setting (if you like that, you might like this).

A bunch of awful, miserable characters screaming at each other for 2+ hours.

Huh. Love this one and love the performances all the way around.

• Like 1

ALERT: Face in the Crowd on TCM in an hour (4pm)

In addition, Ana Duvernay has been picking the movies for TCM's The Essentials lately (Sat, 8pm) and has chosen a Gullah movie - Daughters of the Dust (1991) - i been wanting to see for tonite

• Like 1

So I launched a youtube channel a couple of days ago called 10 Minute Classics where I take classic movies, mostly horror at the moment, and edit them down to an easily digestible 10 minutes. Kinda pandering to the short attention span crowd. Really enjoying the process so far since I'm watching movies I haven't seen or haven't seen in years. So far I've released House on Haunted Hill, The Brain that Wouldn't Die, White Zombie, Carnival of Souls and Dementia 13. I have a bunch finished and hope to release 1 a day. Currently watching Vincent Price's Last Man on Earth. All public domain. Not sure how this will work with drama or thrillers but I'll get to it. Set up a twitter page too if anyone is interested. Like and subscribes welcome! Interested what you film buffs think of the idea.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

Very good movie. Germane to today. 

27 minutes ago, wikkidpissah said:

In addition, Ana Duvernay has been picking the movies for TCM's The Essentials lately (Sat, 8pm) and has chosen a Gullah movie - Daughters of the Dust (1991) - i been wanting to see for tonite

She’s done a good job picking movies they don’t usually air on TCM. A Face in the Crowd is a movie I would love to do for the movie club here. 

3 minutes ago, Ilov80s said:

She’s done a good job picking movies they don’t usually air on TCM. A Face in the Crowd is a movie I would love to do for the movie club here. 

Couple it with All The King's Men. Or maybe Network.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Good thoughts. I was also thinking of something more recent that might have some connections,  not sure what though

5 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

Good thoughts. I was also thinking of something more recent that might have some connections,  not sure what though

Something like Nightcrawler?

Just now, KarmaPolice said:

Something like Nightcrawler?

That is a great call

6 hours ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Actually it might be better paired w ATKM than Network in terms of rise of the scoundrel. I'll pair Network w the most underrated film of the 50s, The Great Man

• Like 1

Ordinary People.

Pantheon performance by Hutton.  Sutherland's performance was oscar-worthy too.

Can really tell Robin Williams took a lot from Judd Hirsch for Good Will Hunting performance.

I had never seen this one before despite having seen most best pic winners.  Looked like a dated soapish type movie.

It is a bit dated and a bit after school special at times but their is also so much to like.

The Sutherland scenes when he is daydreaming of times gone by are really effecting.

Young Elizabeth Mcgovern.  😍

The last scene between Sutherland and Moore is an all-timer.

Props to Redford.  This a classic along with A River Runs Through It.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Daywalker said:

Ordinary People.

Pantheon performance by Hutton.  Sutherland's performance was oscar-worthy too.

Can really tell Robin Williams took a lot from Judd Hirsch for Good Will Hunting performance.

I had never seen this one before despite having seen most best pic winners.  Looked like a dated soapish type movie.

It is a bit dated and a bit after school special at times but their is also so much to like.

The Sutherland scenes when he is daydreaming of times gone by are really effecting.

Young Elizabeth Mcgovern.  😍

The last scene between Sutherland and Moore is an all-timer.

Props to Redford.  This a classic along with A River Runs Through It.

Totally agree, it's one of my unexpected favorites.

The Dead Don't Die - I don't think we have a new movie thread, so I'll just put this one here. Just saw it. It is not good at all. 

Its incredibly slow. Its not funny. Its the direct opposite of subtle. Its not particularly weird. I know people LOVE Jim Jarmusch and I'm sure people will love this movie and say I'm too dumb to get what he's doing. I even considered that possibility. But I don't think so. I just think its not a very good movie and Jarmusch mailed it in.

23 hours ago, wikkidpissah said:

Impressions from Daughters of the Dust:

- if a society is sho nuff capped, no point @ all to progress, a matriarchy makes sense, w men as beasts-of-burden/home-for-sugar, cuz they can only make trouble.

- i wish more societies were capped, real Switzerlands or set-aside monastic lands or temperate subsistence states, because they suit the contemplative or unassuming types of human for whom ambition is a curse.

- ultimately, ambition is the mandate of humanity so, while i may envy, might even join, i can't say i approve.

- it breaks my heart to wonder how humanity would be different if Africa had been arable

- takes me a longlong time to settle into non-narrative films

Edited by wikkidpissah

I liked Toy Story 4 better than Toy Story 3. I thought it was well done. 

3 hours ago, Payne said:

I also liked it better than 3 but i didnt love 3 so not saying that much. It ws cute and funny at times and the end was touching but i dont think it's anywhere near as good as 1 and not that close to 2 for me.

The realism of the cat was phenomenal , however.

TCM aired The Thief of Bagdad (1924) the other night and I am watching it now. It is impressive how good the movie looks both in terms of picture quality and the production value. Hell the special effects are pretty good too. It's blowing me away honestly. 

Edited by Ilov80s

On 6/29/2019 at 7:54 AM, El Floppo said:

Huh. Love this one and love the performances all the way around.

I discussed this one with a friend is also a big movie buff and he agreed with you completely.

TCM ALERT: for you night owls, Rififi is on at 2am and a very odd choice for a morning double-feature begins @ 7:15AM: Nosferatu and Vampyr (by CTDreyer, director of @Ilov80s beloved Joan of Arc movie) @ 9AM

• Like 1

Ruby Sparks

Kind of like a mashup of Eternal Sunshine and 500 Days of Summer.  Came out in 2012.

Paul Dano and Zoe Kazan.  Kazan actually wrote it.

I dug it.   They are married in real life.  Talented couple.  Geez.

On 5/16/2019 at 2:43 PM, whoknew said:

For the Austinites, the Paramount just released its full Summer Classic Film Series lineup.

Some pretty good stuff on there. Based on recommendations in this thread, I'll definitely be there for The Night of the Hunter. And I'd like to see the original Godzilla.

Bump for any Austinites. Night of the Hunter at the Paramount tomorrow.

23 minutes ago, whoknew said:

Bump for any Austinites. Night of the Hunter at the Paramount tomorrow.

Based on the groups (which are all good) I like the following the best:

1969: 50 Years Later

You're Mocking Me Aren't You

Adventure Time

• Like 1

12 hours ago, wikkidpissah said:

TCM ALERT: for you night owls, Rififi is on at 2am and a very odd choice for a morning double-feature begins @ 7:15AM: Nosferatu and Vampyr (by CTDreyer, director of @Ilov80s beloved Joan of Arc movie) @ 9AM

Argh.  I missed this, or would have set the DVR for Rififi and Vampyr (never seen either).  Looks like Rififi available to stream.

10 minutes ago, Don Quixote said:

Argh.  I missed this, or would have set the DVR for Rififi and Vampyr (never seen either).  Looks like Rififi available to stream.

Yeah, i didn't see it til i looked @ the guide for what to fall asleep to. Vampyr is on youtube

Edited by wikkidpissah
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, wikkidpissah said:

Had both set to record. I’ve seen Nosferatu as a kid but Vampyr will be a new one for me. 

1 hour ago, The Man With No Name said:

Cool- was never a big fan of the movie though. What am I missing with it?

Edited by Ilov80s

Your Sister's Sister.  2011.

I watch a lot of movies.  Always great when I find one I missed.

This is a gem.

Mark Duplass, emily blunt and rosemarie dewitt.

One of the better movies I have seen in a while and yes im probably over selling it.

Edited by Daywalker
  • Thinking 1

On 6/28/2019 at 6:36 PM, Ilov80s said:

Stop Making Sense is timeless, I am so glad I have dived so deep into this the last week. 

Saw this in the theater years ago when it opened and loved it. I'd never seen people dancing in a movie theater before. Saw it again a couple years ago for the anniversary, and this film is genius. I love how Jonathan Demme films the artists up close for very long takes. So many concert films only feature quick cuts. But Demme lets the camera linger. 

Edited by jdoggydogg
typo
  • Like 2

On 7/1/2019 at 5:59 AM, Payne said:

I liked them both a lot. 

18 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

Cool- was never a big fan of the movie though. What am I missing with it?

not much but a window on the time. another project rife with that brand of Cali casual sado-sexism (a la M*A*S*H, Polanski, Eagles) that i hated when i first encountered it in the music biz